ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Zurich vs Mt. Carmel

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
Does MC have any chance in this one? Their best player appears that be out, and they look to be outsized upfront. What can MC do to make it to the finals?

Actually I put it here to add to this discussion, that’s all. What I’m reading is the MC didn’t win this game as much as it looks like ESL lost it. (Consider the source). Was there any standout play by MC (running, passing, def line, secondary)?

MC best player out? What position?

MC defense played a good game. Offense did what it had to do. I liked when they threw a few crucial passes to their tight end for big first downs. LZ will be a much tougher test than ESL. I assume LZ will make at least one extra point.

Normal and East Side was noticibly bigger up front. I was extremely impressed with MC’s defensive line, and their ability to control gaps and render the run ineffective. This is one of Coach Franks finest jobs... I think Tim posed the question this summer, “can a team compete after losing 4 division 1 caliber players?” The Guru continues to answer this question with an explanation point. Do they have a chance? i certainly believe they do....

Of course MC stands a chance, they just beat ESL which was ranked ahead of LZ. HAving said that I think LZ ESL would have been one heck of a game.

LZ should be AOK on the PATs.

The only common opponent is SR. I think the SR team that MC faced was stronger than the one LZ faced last night.

IMO the key take away for LZ from the MC-ESL game is the impact of the penalties, especially in the POs.

Do you think that LZ may actually be bigger than MC on the line(s)?...that’d be a first..and probably a last too.

They definitely have a chance. In the past, LZ has had issues defending the option (see past Cary Grove games) because they do not see it much. If MC can keep the ball and move the chains they will have a chance. I have no doubt MC can figure out how to stop the run, but can they stop the run and LZ's effective passing game? In the 2013 title game MC overwhelmed LZ, but they had division 1 guys all along the defensive front (and everywhere else it seemed like).

This year LZ has some unusual talent. LB Sanborn #7 is a three year all stater. RB/LB Stutzman # 6 will be selected all state this year and there has been talk of him being player of the year. IMO the LZ QB #8 is also having an all state year.

Does MC have any chance in this one?

But It's Coach Frank we're talking about, injuries or not, all time winnigest coach in IL, with his Al-Davis-Raiders Just-Win-Baby mantra.

As SPB pointed out, mistake(s) change games and Coach Frank has proven to be master at taking advantage of them.

Good luck to both schools and injury-free game.

Reactions: sivada2001
But It's Coach Frank we're talking about, injuries or not, all time winnigest coach in IL, with his Al-Davis-Raiders Just-Win-Baby mantra.

As SPB pointed out, mistake(s) change games and Coach Frank has proven to be master at taking advantage of them.

True, in that MC LZ title game LZ had a few costly turnovers early and MC took advantage by converting them into a 14-0 lead, and that was pretty much the ballgame.

True, in that MC LZ title game LZ had a few costly turnovers early and MC took advantage by converting them into a 14-0 lead, and that was pretty much the ballgame.

Spot on MDG. Same early momentum swing in ESL game this weekend.

Interesting to see if this game proves to be chess match where first team to make error, becomes game-changer for other.

You can only change the future by learning from history and not by choosing to repeat it.

Should be a good game as it will be very different from the last time they met.

Re Cary Grove...it wasn’t the option, it was Ty Pennington. This LZ D certainly would have faired better, no question about that.

That game wasn't even close. MC man handled lake Zurich that day upfront with their two stud Dt. This game will not resemble that game.

Spot on MDG. Same early momentum swing in ESL game this weekend.

Interesting to see if this game proves to be chess match where first team to make error, becomes game-changer for other.

This LZ team is very different. What looked like a momentum swing yesterday, adv SR, turned out to be a character defining moment. After the SR score, LZ had a very solid march to score. On the ensuing KO, LZ stripped the ball and scored quickly again.

I think the LZ defense gets a lot of the pub and justifiably so. But their offense is very balanced. They can play long ball with Lewandowski and Powell. They can ground and pound with Stutzman and in short yardage they can hand it to Sanborn.

Complete package. Don’t know if Rita was missing guys on defense last night but they couldn’t stop them at all.

Reactions: KingKore
I think the LZ defense gets a lot of the pub and justifiably so. But their offense is very balanced. They can play long ball with Lewandowski and Powell. They can ground and pound with Stutzman and in short yardage they can hand it to Sanborn.

Complete package. Don’t know if Rita was missing guys on defense last night but they couldn’t stop them at all.
Agreed.

We’ve seen what can happen when teams focus on stopping the LZ run. First they’ve gotta do it really well and if they can it typically takes too much away from everything else, which LZ will exploit. I’ve been saying all season, LZ is able to take advantage of anything their opponents give them. There are elements of the LZ offense that we’ve only seen small samples of thus far so IMO there’s still more under the hood.

Last night had a lot of us guessing what the play calls would be largely because they put themselves in positions to keep most of their options open. I’m sure we will be wondering again this weekend.

Montini played both LZ and Mt. Carmel this year. LZ in the first game of the season and Mt. Carmel in the next to last game. Both were losses for Montini. If Alex Thomas doesn't play in this game LZ will be hard to beat. Thomas pretty much beat Montini bu himself. Being a CCL fan I am hoping for Mt. Carmel but realistically LZ may have two many weapons.

LZ Bears still have a slight chip on their shoulder from the 30 - 0 shellacking they took from MC in the 2014 Championship game. These kids have also been through the ringer this past year in the face of a nasty innuendo and whisper campaign regarding the hazing investigation. This is a cohesive football team led by an amazing coach and several exceptional players on both sides of the ball. You don’t want to be on the visitors side of Mel Eide field (house of pain) in 2017.

MC defense has been playing great lately and a big reason that hasn't been mentioned is the return of Darrion Rogers #45, MLB. He had a knee injury in May and was out until the Montini game. He was their leading tackler in 2016 and they haven't lost since he returned. I need to look into this matchup more, but of course they have a chance, are the underdogs? Hell yes! Probably 2 touchdown underdogs, but they found their swagger on defense and they're motivated right now....offense though, especially if AT is out, needs to come to play.

i think I'm going to be sick over this post. This guy drank one too many kool-aids in Coach Franks locker room.

i think I'm going to be sick over this post. This guy drank one too many kool-aids in Coach Franks locker room.
I'm trying to pinpoint where your hatred of Lenti stems from...were you or son a former or current player who didn't get playing time and your disgruntled? Because if you have no ties to MC, then I don't get it unless you went to another school and MC kicked your ass and you're still pissed for some reason??? Because many of us, myself included, have had nothing but (mostly) positive interaction with him as a Coach and person

I'm trying to pinpoint where your hatred of Lenti stems from...were you or son a former or current player who didn't get playing time and your disgruntled? Because if you have no ties to MC, then I don't get it unless you went to another school and MC kicked your ass and you're still pissed for some reason??? Because many of us, myself included, have had nothing but (mostly) positive interaction with him as a Coach and person

Its not hatred, its posts like the one above who think Lenti created the game of football. Frank didn't adapt too well last year in the play offs did he? Oops that right, they didn't make the play offs.
I'm glad me or my sons didn't go to MC, because the parents i know from there, even though their kids never played a down in their 4 years and think they are really part of the team, act like pompous idiots. Those are the southside/south suburb parents.There are better coaches then Lenti personality and social wise. Just because they don't recruit from 100 miles away and don't have 11 state titles doesn't mean they aren't great coaches.
Its more of the lenti fanatics that make me dislike MC more than anything, you are no better than anyone on this board.

'Frank didn't adapt too well last year in the play offs did he? Oops that right, they didn't make the play offs.'

If a team from the CCL Blue doesn't make the playoffs, you do realize the grind that conference schedule is...or do you live under a rock? And BTW, Frank and his staff don't suit up for games. Missing the playoffs is not completely on him and his staff.

Its not hatred, its posts like the one above who think Lenti created the game of football. Frank didn't adapt too well last year in the play offs did he? Oops that right, they didn't make the play offs.
I'm glad me or my sons didn't go to MC, because the parents i know from there, even though their kids never played a down in their 4 years and think they are really part of the team, act like pompous idiots. Those are the southside/south suburb parents.There are better coaches then Lenti personality and social wise. Just because they don't recruit from 100 miles away and don't have 11 state titles doesn't mean they aren't great coaches.
Its more of the lenti fanatics that make me dislike MC more than anything, you are no better than anyone on this board.

On behalf of MC alums everywhere, we, too, are glad that you did not go to MC.

I don't like the brown on brown at all, but I don't mind the brown on white uniforms. I want the yellow pants and trim back!
Yellow, or gold as its known, is not part of our century-plus color scheme: brown and white.

I agree with you on the all brown outfits ... they make us look slow. Actually, I don't like the brown pants in any situation.

Last edited:
I don't like the brown on brown at all, but I don't mind the brown on white uniforms. I want the yellow pants and trim back!
I was just thinking as a fan to have to wear brown all the time! Yikes! I don't think I own anything brown. Now if you need anything red or black I'm your man.

@ SJM, not a Lenti "kool-aid" disciple, no affiliation with MC and agree, he didn't invent football, he just has a few more notch-marks in its history book than you.

Sounds more like a deep-seated personal gripe you have with Lenti / MC, not me.

just observing that MC decisively beat LZ a few state finals ago, Lenti has a long resume of championships and prepares his teams well. His character and social skills? Seems you've cornered the market in personality and character assessment.

You mentioned deciding for your sons and yourself, that MC didn't meet your sniff test and attended elsewhere? Was it because MC doesn't serve Gray Poupon for the boys at its lunch tables, or was it that Lenti didn't guarantee safe-spaces and participation trophies?

@ Caravan Faithful,

Given MC's recent big-name skill-player's injury, add to that ... LZ's exceptional talent this year, and the fact that LZ players are following Coach Mertens impressive character & leadership ... it'd be mighty easy to guzzle LZ kool-aid and say MC has no chance ... but we did get a lesson from the underdog last week that unexpected stuff happens when least expected.

Nothing more I'd like to see than a LZ redemption win on Sat to avenge 2013 finals.

It's already been pointed out MC is the under, but again, it's a Lenti-coached team. Best to you and your school this sat.

your welcome, I live a better life not being a MC snob!

MC snob? That's not one I have heard very often. Virtually all my interactions with MC guys and alums have always gone well. Snobs might be the last way I would describe them.

MC snob? That's not one I have heard very often. Virtually all my interactions with MC guys and alums have always gone well. Snobs might be the last way I would describe them.
Don't take anything he says to heart, his posts are 100% bashing MC and Lenti, I've never seen a post from him with any intelligent football thought or insight, he posts just to bash MC and the Coach

Yellow, or gold as its known, is not part of our century-plus color scheme: brown and white.

I agree with you on the all brown outfits ... they make us look slow. Actually, I don't like the brown pants in any situation.
I've seen them wear white on white two times in the Lenti era, 1 time was against Maine South in State game in 2010...Bad L! And the second time was against De this year...we know how that went...

I was just thinking as a fan to have to wear brown all the time! Yikes! I don't think I own anything brown. Now if you need anything red or black I'm your man.
Living on the South Side in an area with a lot of MC students and alumni, wearing brown is seen often and socially acceptable...outside of here not so much! But a lot of the shirts and sweatshirts they sell are grey with brown lettering so it doesn't stick out as much.

Reactions: MS4EVER
I'm an LA alum and will be on MC's side at LZ this weekend cheering on the Caravan! Go men of Mt. Carmel and the CCLB!!! Just don't beat me up because I have an LA hat on! You know us "cake-eaters"! We don't know how to fight, but we can play some ball!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT