ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet schools to Southwest Prairie

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
This has been talked about for months on the EDGY Nation side finally public. Was coming down to either Southlands or SW Prairie and is this the beginning of the conference floodgates to open in the South burbs? Let the games begin?

This post was edited on 12/15 12:02 PM by edgytim

Joliet schools to SW Prairie

This move does nothing to help Joliet Central in anything.

10 team closed conference...
chairshot.r191677.gif

SWPC would have been better served by having non-conference games in my opinion.

I think this is a Good thing.

The lack of Non-Con thing may have a detrimental effect on OSWEGO because they have dominated the conference and have a challenging but winnable non-con schedule.

Joliet West would have been a desirable Non-Con for the rest of the league. Joliet Central will have a better chance to compete in this league compared to the BLUE. Would the southland given them a better chance to Compete? Maybe ? Geographically this makes more sense for all involved as the Joliet District borders Minooka, Plainfield South, Plainfield Central, and Romeoville.

So does that mean Andrew now heads over the SWS Blue and you have two 7 team conferences?

I wouldn't rule out Bolingbrook and Lockport following the two Joliet schools and making it a total of 12 schools. Then the schools could be divided up into 2 conferences of 6 by enrollment.

I like that idea about Bolingbrook and Lockport joining. But with no inside knowledge, I would be shocked if that happened. If you split it by enrollment, which I believe is the proper way to do things, you would have to split either the Plainfields or Oswegos into different divisions, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

So while enrollment would be better, I think geography is more likely in that scenario......Oswego, Oswego East, and all the Plainfields in one division, Minooka, Romeoville, both Joliets, Lockport, Brook in the other.

But I still think the 10 team league is probably what we will see for awhile. My bet is they go with no non-conference games.

Overall, this is a good move for local high school athletics.

I don't think this would be good for The Brook. Generally speaking, great conferences win championships (see Catholic Blue with Mt. Carmel/Providence/etc... OR DVC with Naperville Central, WWS, Naperville North, etc...)

You very rarely see a team from a weaker conference win the title (although it can be done).

The Southwest Suburban Blue is a very good conference (LWE, HF, Bolingbrook and Lockport have all won the title since 1990).

Originally posted by BHSDEFENSE:
I don't think this would be good for The Brook. Generally speaking, great conferences win championships (see Catholic Blue with Mt. Carmel/Providence/etc... OR DVC with Naperville Central, WWS, Naperville North, etc...)

You very rarely see a team from a weaker conference win the title (although it can be done).

The Southwest Suburban Blue is a very good conference (LWE, HF, Bolingbrook and Lockport have all won the title since 1990).
Definitely agree with this from a football perspective. Quite honestly, with the addition of the Joliet schools, the SW Prairie still only has one consistently sound football program....Oswego. JT West's football program should benefit from this move. They will have a much better chance of making the playoffs. Unfortunately, they will be bounced very quickly in 8A. The same goes for the Plainfields, which has been their history in 7A or 8A.

Geography would be the only reason the Brook would want to join this conference for football.

Next question is....Will the Oswego District decide to leave? The Oswego Schools were the only opposition to including the Joliets.

With the Valleys headed to the DVC would the upstate 8 be a destination for the Oswegos?

This post was edited on 12/17 8:38 AM by ringworm2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT