ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet Catholic vs Brother Rice.

That’s fair to have that opinion. I disagree in that I believe JC will be tested in 4A. All 5 games? I’m sure not. But they wouldn’t be in the bigger classes either.

bottom line is you have taken a short week Rochester loss to LA and extrapolated that to believe that Rochester can’t hang with anyone in the upper classes when history has shown this to just not be the case. Perhaps it is true this year, but I, like most, believe Rochester is far better than that showing. Would my excitement for an ESL-JC matchup be higher than for a Rochester-JC matchup? Perhaps marginally, but I am excited at the prospect of either and uncertain on the outcome of both.

now if JC absolutely smacks around Richmond burton, and then st Francis, and then the Rochester/SHG winner I will admit they were just that dominant. But I just don’t see them smoking all of those schools in succession. Actually, I think those three games in succession would make for a very nice playoff run.
Where does Rochester have the advantage over Loyola that a week of preparation makes it closer? Are you suggesting Leonard outcoaches Holocek? Does Rochester get bigger and stronger along the lines? Do the Rockets WR's and DB's get faster over that week? This is a legit question, I am trying to understand why people think schools with fractions of the talent pool would be competitive with the best of schools multiple times the size. Open enrollment schools I understand since the talent pool is the Chicagoland area. Like why would a Rochester be competitive with a SCN let alone a LWE or LA?

Where does Rochester have the advantage over Loyola that a week of preparation makes it closer? Are you suggesting Leonard outcoaches Holocek? Does Rochester get bigger and stronger along the lines? Do the Rockets WR's and DB's get faster over that week? This is a legit question, I am trying to understand why people think schools with fractions of the talent pool would be competitive with the best of schools multiple times the size. Open enrollment schools I understand since the talent pool is the Chicagoland area. Like why would a Rochester be competitive with a SCN let alone a LWE or LA?
I think a program that is routinely more prepared than any opponent they come across benefits from a full week or preparation. LA could be just as prepared and Holocek is awesome. Just saying that extra prep certainly doesn’t hurt Rochester.

why can’t Rochester be competitive with SCN, LWE, or LA?

I thought they couldn’t either and then I saw them absolutely trounce a Rita team a few years ago that I was certain would dominate them. For all the hand wringing about how this 2021 LA- Rochester game was dangerous and not worth playing, I just don’t get it. Yes, 2021 LA is substantially better than 2021 Rochester. But Rochester has fielded more than a few teams over the last decade that could hang with and even beat the best in the state. It didn’t work out for them in their biggest test this year, but to say it’s dangerous just because of talent pool is a silly argument. 2019 Rochester handled 2019 Rita and would have done the same to all but a few CCL schools that year. Most years, Wilmington would smoke Morton or Romeoville.

but to make hard and fast rules of , well a public 4A school playing Loyola is always dangerous is rather silly. It can be true that it’s a mismatch most of the time and dangerous some of the time without assuming that a usual 4A power has no business with a good LA. It didn’t work out this year and perhaps it’s because this is the weakest Rochester team in the last decade. Or perhaps they roll through all of 4A and even beat JCA and it can be extrapolated then that 4A schools have no business with Loyola.

I guess I’m operating under the assumption than Rochester is one of those schools that exceeds their class many years. That was definitely true of them being better than 5A a few years ago. I still think that will happen this year where they will be exceptional come playoff time. But perhaps they do get handled by someone in 4A this season. If that happens, then yes that would explain why they got rolled by LA, as that would make them a “regular” 4A team. But if they do sweep through and dominate SHG and the northern winner (r-b, Francis, JCA) then that would seem to validate your theory that nobody in 4A this year can stack up to an 8A power.

regardless, that is a lot of variables and avoids any sweeping, oversimplified statements.

Last edited:
As someone said, Rice has a Chicago address, 10001 S. Pulaski.
Back in the 50s, when the school was first proposed,Chicago extended its borders so the school would be in the city. This was to placate the parents of prospective students who might be concerned about fire protection. BTW, doesn't Marist have a Chicago address, too?

Back in the 50s, when the school was first proposed,Chicago extended its borders so the school would be in the city. This was to placate the parents of prospective students who might be concerned about fire protection. BTW, doesn't Marist have a Chicago address, too?

Yes, 4200 W. 115th St. is in Chicago. I think I recall from an old post that you used to live out there.

I think a program that is routinely more prepared than any opponent they come across benefits from a full week or preparation. LA could be just as prepared and Holocek is awesome. Just saying that extra prep certainly doesn’t hurt Rochester.

why can’t Rochester be competitive with SCN, LWE, or LA?

I thought they couldn’t either and then I saw them absolutely trounce a Rita team a few years ago that I was certain would dominate them. For all the hand wringing about how this 2021 LA- Rochester game was dangerous and not worth playing, I just don’t get it. Yes, 2021 LA is substantially better than 2021 Rochester. But Rochester has fielded more than a few teams over the last decade that could hang with and even beat the best in the state. It didn’t work out for them in their biggest test this year, but to say it’s dangerous just because of talent pool is a silly argument. 2019 Rochester handled 2019 Rita and would have done the same to all but a few CCL schools that year. Most years, Wilmington would smoke Morton or Romeoville.

but to make hard and fast rules of , well a public 4A school playing Loyola is always dangerous is rather silly. It can be true that it’s a mismatch most of the time and dangerous some of the time without assuming that a usual 4A power has no business with a good LA. It didn’t work out this year and perhaps it’s because this is the weakest Rochester team in the last decade. Or perhaps they roll through all of 4A and even beat JCA and it can be extrapolated then that 4A schools have no business with Loyola.

I guess I’m operating under the assumption than Rochester is one of those schools that exceeds their class many years. That was definitely true of them being better than 5A a few years ago. I still think that will happen this year where they will be exceptional come playoff time. But perhaps they do get handled by someone in 4A this season. If that happens, then yes that would explain why they got rolled by LA, as that would make them a “regular” 4A team. But if they do sweep through and dominate SHG and the northern winner (r-b, Francis, JCA) then that would seem to validate your theory that nobody in 4A this year can stack up to an 8A power.

regardless, that is a lot of variables and avoids any sweeping, oversimplified statements.
Thanks for the in depth reply.

I would say 2019 Rita wasnt great at all and neither was 2019 LA. That Rita team lost to a Richards that was probably a decent 6A team and I mean decent in the most literal fashion ie 7 point win over a bad LWC, doubled up by Hillcrest, 60-0 loss to EStL. While I did underrate Rochester that Rita team was lucky to be 5A instead of 6A. That LA team had a couple good playoff wins against MS and GBW before losing convincingly to Marist who then lost convincingly to LWE. I would surmise that had Rochester played LA in 2019 LA wins big, probably not 56-7 but probably still a running clock, but that the top of 8A beats them worse.

The talent pool is the absolute best argument there is. It is why public schools form conferences around schools that are similar sizes. It's why we have classes in the first place. Wilmington might beat Morton and probably would smoke Romeoville, but that isnt the point. Line up Romeoville or Morton against their 3A equivalent and the 3A team will be treated like Rochester vs LA. Just as GBW would smoke Wilmington even in a down year. Rochester didnt exceed their class in 2019 because their enrollment put them in 5A so they were a 5A school.

I thought Martyrs was too but o just not
Call 708-422-1540 and see who picks up my friend. Stress on the 708 part! It’s EP as is everything else around it except SXU, BR and Mother Mac. As someone stated they were annexed in case of a Fire or catastrophe they could get Chicago Fire/Police/EMT services which are larger.
** typed before edit, disregard**

In 1954 The Village of Evergreen Park de-annexed the land with the agreement the land would be used for educational purposes.

The Sisters of Mercy have owned the land since the 1950s, a fraction of the 157 acres that the Sisters of Mercy owned before donating land to St. Xavier University, Mother McAuley and Brother Rice High Schools.

Interesting I’ve never heard that concerns about fire safety was the reason Evergreen Park de-annexed the land. One would think after the Our Lady of the Angels school fire in 1958 that killed 58 children……. Concerns surrounding fire safety would have been addressed during construction by installing fire sprinkler systems? Which I’m almost positive none of these schools possess. Not the ability of a fire department to respond.

Reactions: Topiary
Schools were built pre-Our lady of Angels school fire.

In 1954 The Village of Evergreen Park de-annexed the land with the agreement the land would be used for educational purposes.

The Sisters of Mercy have owned the land since the 1950s, a fraction of the 157 acres that the Sisters of Mercy owned before donating land to St. Xavier University, Mother McAuley and Brother Rice High Schools.

Interesting I’ve never heard that concerns about fire safety was the reason Evergreen Park de-annexed the land. One would think after the Our Lady of the Angels school fire in 1958 that killed 58 children……. Concerns surrounding fire safety would have been addressed during construction by installing fire sprinkler systems? Which I’m almost positive none of these schools possess. Not the ability of a fire department to respond.
That was the story in EP back when I lived there (60s).

Reactions: MC2023
Lots of bad acid flowing through the park back then. 😜
I was a sub teacher at EPCHS on two occasions in 69 and 70. I never heard anything about it from the real teachers.

BTW< MC2023, when did you graduate from MC?

It's hard to believe the village of Evergreen Park so easily de-annexed 157 acres of prime real estate. I'd love to know the back story on that deal having grown up there. I wonder where the deal was finalized, Panos or Bleekers ?

This has nothing to do with the two teams or their game that’s being discussed but thanks for chiming in! Feel free to start a thread with this post as the topic.
I’m going to guess he’s replying to the post a couple above his that started out with, “JCA is the best team in the state”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT