ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet Catholic vs Brother Rice.

Kevin JCHS 81

Jul 16, 2005
Copied from the Joliet Catholic Football Facebook page’ (Sorry I didn’t know how to just link it, or if everybody would be able to access it if I did.)

I’ll try to post the link in this thread later. There are some cool pictures there to.

"Battle of Mount Greenwood" stars have "Family Ties"

By: Drake Skleba and "The Joliet Legend" Mr. Dick Goss for Joliet Catholic Academy

In the 1987 IHSA Class 5A State Football Championship Game, the Joliet Catholic Hilltoppers defeated the Knights of Peoria Richwoods,14-13. The Hilltoppers' quarterback on that famous day in Hilltopper history, was Jonathan Voss. Causing havoc for the Richwood Knights offense from his linebacker spot, was Hilltopper captain, John Lausch.

After graduating from Joliet Catholic, Lausch would continue his education, in Cambridge, Massachusetts at Harvard University. Laush's tremendous leadership qualities, warranted him the captainship of The Crimson football team.

With 2:09 remaining in the 1987 Class 5A State Championship Game, Voss would connect with Tyrone Isaac, the father of legendary Hilltopper All-American running back, Ty Isaac ( JCA '13), from 24-yards out for the Hilltopper state championship game-winner, the sixth title out of 14 for the Hilltoppers.

Voss vs. Lausch

At 6 p.m. on Friday evening, in the Mount Greenwood neighborhood of Chicago, our Class 4A top-ranked Hilltoppers will face-off with the top-ranked Class 7A Crusaders of Brother Rice Football.

Quarterbacking our Hilltoppers, will be Jonathan Voss' "little boy", son, Aidan Voss. Voss has been the three-year starting field-general, leading the high-powered Hilltopper offense in 2021. Voss, an elusive runner and a quality passer, will lead the top-ranked Hilltoppers into "The Battle of Mount Greenwood" on Friday at 6.

Quarterbacking the Crusaders, will be John Lausch's "little boy", son, the All-Everything quarterback Jack Lausch. Lausch has done everything for the top-ranked Crusaders in 2021.

Jack Lausch, has probably given sleepless-nights, to Hilltopper defensive coordinator Zach Dolph, this week.

I would imagine, Jonathan Voss and John Lausch, will meet before "The Battle of Mount Greenwood" and reminisce, as teammates and friends, of the 1987 Hilltoppers Class 5A State Champs?

At around 6 p.m. tomorrow night, their long-friendship will abruptly end, for about two and a half hours.

Can any of my fellow JCA posters paste the actual link from one of the Joliet Catholic Facebook sites?

I am so Tech challanged.

JCA seems to have average lower level teams....is there going to be a another rebuild after this senior class?

JCA seems to have average lower level teams....is there going to be a another rebuild after this senior class?
The 2021 squad is a special group.
That said it is not likely that a rebuild is on the horizon.
They are more raw than merely average and are taking their lumps.
Numbers in the program are solid.
There are skill position guys that will grow, get stronger and learn the game (refine techniques, RBs reading blocks, when to throttle back and when to accelerate, how to run routes, how to block downfield, etc.), defensively how to use leverage, how to pursue, how to effectively breakdown.
A couple of Sophs are contributing on the Varsity this year and the Freshmen O-Line is Varsity sized now and they will add strength.
The coaches are encouraged by how the boys are progressing.
The program has always viewed the lower levels purpose as being to develop players ready for Varsity competition and have historically had few undefeated or single defeat seasons.

Last edited:
Copied from the Joliet Catholic Football Facebook page’ (Sorry I didn’t know how to just link it, or if everybody would be able to access it if I did.)

I’ll try to post the link in this thread later. There are some cool pictures there to.

"Battle of Mount Greenwood" stars have "Family Ties"

By: Drake Skleba and "The Joliet Legend" Mr. Dick Goss for Joliet Catholic Academy

In the 1987 IHSA Class 5A State Football Championship Game, the Joliet Catholic Hilltoppers defeated the Knights of Peoria Richwoods,14-13. The Hilltoppers' quarterback on that famous day in Hilltopper history, was Jonathan Voss. Causing havoc for the Richwood Knights offense from his linebacker spot, was Hilltopper captain, John Lausch.

After graduating from Joliet Catholic, Lausch would continue his education, in Cambridge, Massachusetts at Harvard University. Laush's tremendous leadership qualities, warranted him the captainship of The Crimson football team.

With 2:09 remaining in the 1987 Class 5A State Championship Game, Voss would connect with Tyrone Isaac, the father of legendary Hilltopper All-American running back, Ty Isaac ( JCA '13), from 24-yards out for the Hilltopper state championship game-winner, the sixth title out of 14 for the Hilltoppers.

Voss vs. Lausch

At 6 p.m. on Friday evening, in the Mount Greenwood neighborhood of Chicago, our Class 4A top-ranked Hilltoppers will face-off with the top-ranked Class 7A Crusaders of Brother Rice Football.

Quarterbacking our Hilltoppers, will be Jonathan Voss' "little boy", son, Aidan Voss. Voss has been the three-year starting field-general, leading the high-powered Hilltopper offense in 2021. Voss, an elusive runner and a quality passer, will lead the top-ranked Hilltoppers into "The Battle of Mount Greenwood" on Friday at 6.

Quarterbacking the Crusaders, will be John Lausch's "little boy", son, the All-Everything quarterback Jack Lausch. Lausch has done everything for the top-ranked Crusaders in 2021.

Jack Lausch, has probably given sleepless-nights, to Hilltopper defensive coordinator Zach Dolph, this week.

I would imagine, Jonathan Voss and John Lausch, will meet before "The Battle of Mount Greenwood" and reminisce, as teammates and friends, of the 1987 Hilltoppers Class 5A State Champs?

At around 6 p.m. tomorrow night, their long-friendship will abruptly end, for about two and a half hours.
Pretty cool story, as cornball as the writing is. It will be interesting to see if the game lives up to the hype.

That said it is not likely that a rebuild on the horizon.
There are skill position guys that will grow, get stronger and learn the game (refine techniques, RBs reading blocks, when to throttle back and when to accelerate, how to run routes, how to block downfield, etc.), defensively how to use leverage, how to pursue, how to effectively breakdown.
A couple of Sophs are contributing on the Varsity this year and the Freshmen O-Line is Varsity sized now and they will add strength.
The program has always viewed lower levels purpose as being to develop players ready for Varsity competition and have historically had few undefeated or single defeat seasons.
What is the freshman and sophomores record?

Hopefully other posters can correct me on the exact numbers.
I believe the Freshmen are 3-3 plus results from B games for which I do not have info.
With the screwy lower level situation across the state, I believe that there have only been like 3 Sophomore games and then JV games (S+JV total up to more games than Varsity) and my recollection has them at a +2 or so in those.
Maybe a Hilltopper Dad can set the records straight.

Reactions: Queen4
Hopefully other posters can correct me on the exact numbers.
I believe the Freshmen are 3-3 plus results from B games for which I do not have info.
With the screwy lower level situation across the state, I believe that there have only been like 3 Sophomore games and then JV games (S+JV total up to more games than Varsity) and my recollection has them at a +2 or so in those.
Maybe a Hilltopper Dad can set the records straight.
I believe the sophs/JV are 5-1-1 or 5-2-1. JCA doesnt really field a JV team, yet plays against other JV teams at times. I know this year only 2-3 Jr's have played JV this year. JV team is really a soph team.

Pretty cool story, as cornball as the writing is. It will be interesting to see if the game lives up to the hype.
Also a little confused why they refer to the game as the "Battle of Mt Greenwood" I'm pretty sure JCA does not have any players from Mt Greenwood. The Battle in Mr Greenwood would be more accurate.

Also a little confused why they refer to the game as the "Battle of Mt Greenwood" I'm pretty sure JCA does not have any players from Mt Greenwood. The Battle in Mr Greenwood would be more accurate.
Lol, noticed that too....especially since Lausch is in Beverly and I don’t think Mt. Greenwood claims BR....it’s on an annex. It’s pretty much Evergreen.

Reactions: Blue Ruin and USD24
That said it is not likely that a rebuild is on the horizon.
The program has always viewed the lower levels purpose as being to develop players ready for Varsity competition and have historically had few undefeated or single defeat seasons.
What, in your opinion, makes the JCA class of 2021 special?

This is the Battle of Cook County vs. Will County. No limits, no boundaries, no problem...

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Did Providence in it's pre-coed Marist heydey (1990s early 00s) draw from Mt. Greenwood? I saw players from Oak Lawn and BI back then , but not sure.

Reactions: CCHS-Fan
I'm revisiting memories of having to block #51 from seeing the above picture. Nightmares to come.

When we played JC my Jr. season ('86) at their place (Homecoming), we late hit #9 Voss on their sidelines on their first possession, and he went to the hospital. That took the game to a whole new intensity level for the Hill.

And. It. Got. Ugly.

Seneker(sp?) ran all over us.

Then what school does Mt Greenwood claim? Ag?
That’s technically the only school in Mount Greenwood...I wouldn’t say BR is. I think BR and Mother Mac should be Evergreen. But it doesn’t matter. It’s definitely not the battle of Mt. Greenwood when it comes to these two schools

Reactions: USD24
I'm revisiting memories of having to block #51 from seeing the above picture. Nightmares to come.

When we played JC my Jr. season ('86) at their place (Homecoming), we late hit #9 Voss on their sidelines on their first possession, and he went to the hospital. That took the game to a whole new intensity level for the Hill.

And. It. Got. Ugly.

Seneker(sp?) ran all over us.
Had some great battles against the Corsairs back in the day. Our senior year '87, I remember walking out for the coin toss at midfield in Mundelien. Across from me stood Jeff Zgnonia. I almost crapped my pants. He was an absolute monster. If I remember correctly, we won a close one 12-7 in a slug fest.

Reactions: Jacktrash
We returned a punt for a TD to go up 7-6 and then Ty ripped one off on an inside trap, late in the game. JC missed both x-point attempts.

Game over.

Lost 12-7 like you state.

Frosh year we (CCHS) won 9-0.
Soph year we lost 6-0 on a pick-six inside of one-minute left in the game.
Jr year we got handled pretty well 24-6 on your Homecoming.
Sr year we lost 12-7 when you guys ran the table in 5A and beat Richwoods.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Tied at 21. Rice has no answer for JCA’s offense, which is pretty damn good. Anderson is huge. Great offense by both teams. Defense, JCA is coming to life with that last stop.

Hard to believe either team could win state with no defense. I am sorry but allowing 35 points at halftime is not indicative of a state type championship team. Wow
I didn’t see this coming from either team.

@ESCC whatever it was, I think this one might top it. Absolutely love JCA’s offense. Everyone is running a spread, or some variation of it these days. They just line up and run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT