ADVERTISEMENT

JCA in playoffs?

Secondo1

Aug 29, 2011
Wondering where JCA goes from here after last nights game. 3-2 now with Marist coming up. Easily can be 3-3 this time next week. How is it possible to give up so many 3rd and 4th and long first downs last night. It can’t all be the kids not being in position. Gotta be some scheme issues as well.

The offense went into hibernation beginning with the last drive of the first half. Why??

Final record predictions? 5-4??

All.... Hilltoppers will be in the southern bracket of 16 in 5A (which I have mentioned several months ago) when they qualify for postseason play. So even if they finish the regular season 5-4 and are seeded in the higher digits it won't be that big of a deal. Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Hilltoppers will be in the southern bracket of 16 in 5A (which I have mentioned several months ago) when they qualify for postseason play. So even if they finish the regular season 5-4 and are seeded in the higher digits it won't be that big of a deal. Ratsy
As you know, it is a program where the bar has been set high and expectations are too.
A southern route ..... and then something like Mascoutah in 2019 happens.

What exactly is the problem? They got 3 wins with 2 cupcakes left on schedule.

Their schedule may be tougher this year than last, but I’d argue the team they just lost too is a whole lot tougher than JCA’s. JCA had 3 cupcakes on their schedule and had to win 2/6 of the rest to make playoffs.

These games against Rita, St. Francis etc will only help them in playoffs. Imo the these tough CCL schedules are more helpful than not.

Maybe people will stop accusing JC fans of sandbagging when we see we are "favored" by 3 scores against a good team and try to suggest that may be a tad ridiculous. I think people think the name JC must mean all time juggernaut on par with what LWE or MC has on the field this season.

Outside of 2021, we have been a pretty good 5A program for the better part of 10-15 years.

That said, Marist will be a toss up. Those toss ups haven't gone our way recently so they really need to find a way to close. With Leo and Marmion still on the schedule, if the team doesn't find 2 more wins to get playoff eligible, they definitely don't deserve to be playoff eligible. I would assume Marist could go either way. They better take care of business against Leo. Ignatius can realistically go either way, but JC should hopefully come out motivated there. And then Marmion seems to be a bit beleaguered this year, so they had better take care of business there.

Going in most of the JC faithful considered Rita, SF, and Marist to be toss ups at best. They were in position to win both and didn't close it out. The positive there is that they can hang with and jump on anyone. The downside is that they have to learn to play a full four quarters and a complete three phase game.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Going in most of the JC faithful considered Rita, SF, and Marist to be toss ups at best. They were in position to win both and didn't close it out. The positive there is that they can hang with and jump on anyone. The downside is that they have to learn to play a full four quarters and a complete three phase game.
This team just can't seem to run the ball at the end of a game to close it out. That has been a staple of the program for years. They had the ball up 1 in SF territory last night and just couldn't finish the drive. Short yardage has been a problem all year as well. Getting stopped on the first drive in the 2nd half was big, especially considering the Spartans scored on an 87-yard run right after the big defensive stop. Again, a JCA team that seemingly can't get 1st downs in short yardage situations is concerning.

I knew the pass defense would get its sternest test of the year, and it did. The defenses' inability to stop the run was a surprise to me, but SF has some dynamic athletes. Marist will be playing for their playoff lives next week. I see JCA as the definite underdog on the road, but we shall see.

Reactions: rjjtwest
This team just can't seem to run the ball at the end of a game to close it out. That has been a staple of the program for years. They had the ball up 1 in SF territory last night and just couldn't finish the drive. Short yardage has been a problem all year as well. Getting stopped on the first drive in the 2nd half was big, especially considering the Spartans scored on an 87-yard run right after the big defensive stop. Again, a JCA team that seemingly can't get 1st downs in short yardage situations is concerning.

I knew the pass defense would get its sternest test of the year, and it did. The defenses' inability to stop the run was a surprise to me, but SF has some dynamic athletes. Marist will be playing for their playoff lives next week. I see JCA as the definite underdog on the road, but we shall see.
Absolutely true on the need to run the ball in short yardage and four minute drill scenarios. Part of that is on the o line and they still have some work to go there.

Part of that is that they don't seem to have a back at or near 200 pounds on the roster. Would be nice to see one of the athletic ends or linebackers be able to carry the ball or block from a fullback position. Perhaps a package where Johnson can play tackle or guard and you just maul straight forward for a few yards with a one of those 200 plus pound DE/LB types lead blocking for Grigsby or something.

Absolutely true on the need to run the ball in short yardage and four minute drill scenarios. Part of that is on the o line and they still have some work to go there.

Part of that is that they don't seem to have a back at or near 200 pounds on the roster. Would be nice to see one of the athletic ends or linebackers be able to carry the ball or block from a fullback position. Perhaps a package where Johnson can play tackle or guard and you just maul straight forward for a few yards with a one of those 200 plus pound DE/LB types lead blocking for Grigsby or something.
Best example i recall of that was in the 1992 playoffs. 220 lb LB Ben Henley got moved to the backfield to block for Matt Larsen. Led to a very memorable playoff run. Opponents feared the young, powerful Mr.Henley. As he continuously landed them on their hind parts........with emphasis.

Last edited:
I have a vague memory of a JCA team needing a win at ND to make the playoffs not too long ago. You got it and won the whole thing. Deep breath guys lotta season left. You’re good at this stuff.

A record of 5-4 or 6-3 in the South 5A Bracket will be a lot better for them than if they had to play in the North Bracket with that record, especially given whom they would eventually have to play in a North Bracket quarterfinal or semifinal game. No Prairie Ridge or Sycamore concerns for them in the South Bracket!!! If they win out and end up 7-2, then they'll most likely be the favorite to come out of the South Bracket. Will we be treated to a JCA-Peoria High South Bracket semifinal? No potential South Bracket participant is really knocking it out of the park (stadium?) so far this year. Same can't be said of some of the teams likely to be in the 5A North Bracket.

One unknown which could change things in my assessment of the South Bracket: In which Class does Morris end up come selection time? If they end up in 5A, then they, JCA and Peoria High will be fighting it out in the South.

Last edited:
Reactions: jobare56
A record of 5-4 or 6-3 in the South 5A Bracket will be a lot better for them than if they had to play in the North Bracket with that record, especially given whom they would eventually have to play in a North Bracket quarterfinal or semifinal game. No Prairie Ridge or Sycamore concerns for them in the South Bracket!!! If they win out and end up 7-2, then they'll most likely be the favorite to come out of the South Bracket. Will we be treated to a JCA-Peoria High South Bracket semifinal? No potential South Bracket participant is really knocking it out of the park (stadium?) so far this year. Same can't be said of some of the teams likely to be in the 5A North Bracket.

One unknown which could change things in my assessment of the South Bracket: In which Class does Morris end up come selection time? If they end up in 5A, then they, JCA and Peoria High will be fighting it out in the South.
It's weird at the moment. Last week, Morris was the smallest in the 5A bracket. After this saturday, they are the largest in 4A and sitting in the Northern bracket. If this holds true, I think they beat IC Catholic and face Rochester in the final. Crazier even more is that they go to the Northern bracket by a mere few minutes on the longitudinal line (for those who understand geography) because Coal City would push them up. If a southern school falls out, I see Morris taking the southern bracket to face IC Catholic in the final.

Reactions: RockSoup
This is the season for Marist - win and they'll win out and go 5-4. Lose and no playoffs for them. I expect a high scoring game - both defenses are mehhhh.

Morgan Park

what about that fullback? He had a pretty decent game against Rita. Inside runs were 5-7 yards and they stopped going to him in that game...

Morgan Park
All.... I have my own 5A top ten list which changes weekly and have the Mustangs currently at #6. I also every week try to come with a 32 team bracket which is difficult. Especially with the CPL teams and how they shifted those conferences. This year is no exception.

Last year Morgan Park ended up in the "northern" bracket of 16. They could go south . It's still a bit early to determine that but they would a "player" if it happens.

Do you have an assessment of the team? Don't know much about them. Ratsy

what about that fullback? He had a pretty decent game against Rita. Inside runs were 5-7 yards and they stopped going to him in that game...
I think they have more than a handful of capable backs. The primary FB is capable of some tough yards for sure.

But all of them are in the 160-190 pound range. A very capable size for sure. I know Jordan Anderson and his 235 pounds with wiggle is not walking through that door this year. But to have a 3rd and 2 late in the 3rd quarter when everyone knows it's a run between the tackles to sustain a drive is a different beast that inside runs in the second quarter. I think there are guys on the roster who can do it capably, both blocking and running. They are just still seeking their "closer" who they can butter their bread with and fall back on all the time in those scenarios. I really thinking putting Johnson at a guard spot and letting him push a few interior linemen out of the way would be helpful for those 3rd/4th and short situations.

Hell, put Johnson at quarterback and run the option.

Does he have any experience running the option? That can be a dicey situation trying to run the option with someone who is not used to running it.

No one knows how to run the option better than Frank Lenti. There would be some poetic justice if they hired Frank as an assistant. I think it would be a good fit.

A gritty team that played MC fairly close, 22-12. As you and Tigers94 say, the Mustangs could run wild in the playoffs.
Given the past history of how the IHSA has divided the brackets between north and south, does anyone have a handle (geographically speaking) on which bracket the Mustangs are most likely to end up in 5A?

All.... That is a tricky one I am trying to figure out. In 2021 they went south in 2022 north . Currently I have them in the north. But there are four games left which could create a change pushing them down into the south. Still early.... Ratsy

Given the past history of how the IHSA has divided the brackets between north and south, does anyone have a handle (geographically speaking) on which bracket the Mustangs are most likely to end up in 5A?
I always see them projected to be in the North.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT