ADVERTISEMENT

JCA game cancelled

That’s crap. Just saying. After a season has ended you want to tell everyone you quit and won’t play next year ok. Waiting until the when the season starts is really not forgivable. Sorry
I think they had 22 players to start the year and 4 got injured and the 18 remaining would have been playing out of positions. Looks like they forfeited the JV too so bringing them up to Varsity probably wouldn't have helped. Their decent players bailed when Coaches Quinn and Goffer left. Blackmon inherited a team after the entrance exam and recruiting stopped. I'm guessing some of the 22 that were underclassman transfered or will transfer. It's going to be a tough road for them. Leo has been playing undermanned and low numbers for decades, they wouldn't have forfeited an entire season.

I think they had 22 players to start the year and 4 got injured and the 18 remaining would have been playing out of positions. Looks like they forfeited the JV too so bringing them up to Varsity probably wouldn't have helped. Their decent players bailed when Coaches Quinn and Goffer left. Blackmon inherited a team after the entrance exam and recruiting stopped. I'm guessing some of the 22 that were underclassman transfered or will transfer. It's going to be a tough road for them. Leo has been playing undermanned and low numbers for decades, they wouldn't have forfeited an entire season.
If you have 22 players to start the season you needed to drop out right there. You’re kidding yourself if you think you can play football with 22 players. In no way are you going to not have players get injured during the season. Say what you want but I stand by what I said . It’s irresponsible that the coach, AD and administration thought it was okay to schedule games with other schools knowing you only had 22 players to field. MO but it’s foolish.

If you have 22 players to start the season you needed to drop out right there. You’re kidding yourself if you think you can play football with 22 players. In no way are you going to not have players get injured during the season. Say what you want but I stand by what I said . It’s irresponsible that the coach, AD and administration thought it was okay to schedule games with other schools knowing you only had 22 players to field. MO but it’s foolish.
It’s possible the players wanted to give it a shot, not really fair to those kids to cancel the season before it’s even begun. Even if they did cancel before the season started there’s no way most of those schools would’ve been able to find a replacement game anyways. 7 catholic league schools who’ve almost never had to schedule non-conference games outside of weeks 1 & 2.

I rather get beat 80-0 & try then just forfeit. Looks like Walther Lutheran er Christian now has also left the season

I rather get beat 80-0 & try then just forfeit. Looks like Walther Lutheran er Christian now has also left the season
I applied at Walter Christian last year and would have had 15 incoming freshmen willing to follow me but they hired someone else because I didn't want to me a an Assistant coach in Track.....guess they made the right choice

Reactions: crazylegs777
Leo has been playing undermanned and low numbers for decades, they wouldn't have forfeited an entire season.
Leo has about 30-35 players. They get extra credit for showing up after going 1-8 most years. All my buddies went to Leo. Some of them get their football fix from Carmel.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazylegs777
I have a question for everybody. Does the school forfeiting get punished? If the team they are forfeiting to was supposed to host & can’t find a replacement game especially at home that’s a loss of some $$$$$$ from concessions,the fans & souvenir sales. Here in TN you get fined for forfeits. It reminds me of the countless strikes years back especially that affected Sica. Reavis drew a major crowd back then & many would come up from out of state to see homecoming. They would be treated with lots of yummy goodies after. Shepard was on strike & forfeited to Reavis on Reavis Homecoming & Reavis tried getting replacement games but could not so they had their parade but no game. Lots of people who came in from out of state were pretty unhappy too

I agree. If your program is in shambles before the season even begins then do the right thing and get out then. Give your opponents ample opportunity to find replacement games. This whole thing stinks all the way around and sends a terrible message. Not only did the players at De La Salle get cheated but so did the players of their opponents. Kids want to play on Friday night PERIOD. The adults at DLS failed them and there needs to be consequences.

Reactions: corey90
It’s possible the players wanted to give it a shot, not really fair to those kids to cancel the season before it’s even begun. Even if they did cancel before the season started there’s no way most of those schools would’ve been able to find a replacement game anyways. 7 catholic league schools who’ve almost never had to schedule non-conference games outside of weeks 1 & 2.
Sorry I don’t buy it. Adults have to make the tough decisions. Of course the kids want to play it’s not their fault the school doesn’t have enough players. All the other schools/kids now get screwed over because poor decision in the very beginning.

Is their Frosh team still playing or did they shut it down to?
There was an article saying their lower level numbers were strong but it looks like they forfeited JV. I know in recent years DLS has only had a JV and V team, they hadn't had a true Freshman only team in awhile. Mike Zunica from St. Rita, after a cup of coffee at BR, is now the President at DLS. He is a strong people person who works well with HS students, if he can't fix this then I'm not sure it can be fixed. But they are ranked #1 in soccer...they have solid Basketball and Baseball and I believe the girls Volleyball team is strong. I know they have low numbers but Football is the only main sports program struggling there at this time.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realized Walther had left the season. What a shame. Chicago Christian really had some battles with them through the years

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realized Walther had left the season. What a shame. Chicago Christian really had some battles with them through the years
They were supposed to play Poplar Grove North Boone who had received a forfeit earlier but now this too is a forfeit to them. This time by Walther

Walther also forfeited a handful of games last year, although they did end up playing week 9 vs Westmont. Westmont also had a forfeit to Seneca last year.

Walther also forfeited a handful of games last year, although they did end up playing week 9 vs Westmont. Westmont also had a forfeit to Seneca last year.
I know it’s different religions but with nearby St.Joseph & Guerin closed I figure maybe some would go to Walther.

8 man football is going to keep growing and growing ...
I could see 8 man being a really good thing for some of the smaller CPS schools. Get kids out and playing without getting their brains bashed in week in and week out. For those close to CPS, has 8 man been a topic of discussion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT