ADVERTISEMENT

Girls Flag State Finals

Sorry (not sorry) to rain on y'all's parade, but I saw one game and was not impressed. Looked to me like a big game of tag.
71MzLA2V-bL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I just watched my 8 year old grandson play flag football. I agree with you Ramblinman.
I too am disappointed when flag football (a version of the sport that allows people to become involved in a beautiful game they wouldn’t otherwise play) doesn't have hitting reminiscent of a 1980s NFC championship game….
Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

200+ teams full of kids being active and having fun with something that doesn’t involve a screen. Girls flag football is objectively, 100% an awesome thing.

If you watch the game and don’t try to compare it to tackle football you can appreciate all that the girls have put into it. They work hard, they are enjoying it, and they are competing. Can’t ask for more when it comes to high school sports.

I too am disappointed when flag football (a version of the sport that allows people to become involved in a beautiful game they wouldn’t otherwise play) doesn't have hitting reminiscent of a 1980s NFC championship game….
Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

200+ teams full of kids being active and having fun with something that doesn’t involve a screen. Girls flag football is objectively, 100% an awesome thing.
This….

I say let them play. If people don't find it interesting or very good...then there are other things to do. They are doing something constructive and it's better to read about them in the sports pages instead of the news section as a victim or perpetrator of a crime.

And Corey, they are 8 years old. You have to expect a lot of messing around and not paying attention. That's what many young kids do. I like watching my grandkids play baseball, football and basketball. And I like watching them ride their bikes. It's about them...not us. We had our time and chance.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
There are many D1 girls basketball, soccer, lacrosse, etc. players out there. It's been nice to see such interest in it. Comparing it to 8 year olds playing is ignorant
Not really both are mainly first time players. It will get better with time but currently it’s a cluster.

It’s something positive for kids to do.
Agree. I'd let my daughter play in a heartbeat. I think what I appreciate most, for the young ladies, is that it's an option outside of Volleyball and a handful of fringe sports in the Fall for them to get involved with. I'm not trying to take anything away from CC, VB, golf, tennis, or swimming, but this is a nice alternative option for the ladies in the Fall. Clearly there's a lot of interest in it, I think with the right support this could be a very good thing moving forward.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why anyone would bash on this. It’s something positive for kids to do.
Because some people's lives are so unfulfilled that the only way they feel relevant is to demean everyone/everything else that is progressing in a positive way. They have such low self-esteem that anyone doing anything positive is a threat to them. Some even attempt to bring in other factors that no one else is discussing just so their narrative fits what they want to believe. Its really sad. Usually its the same guys that used to sit in the bleachers talking tough while the rest of us played on the field.

There isn't a single post bashing it here.
Depends on definition of bashing I guess, but there are certainly some “less than positive” posts if you scroll up a bit.
Some talk about how unimpressed they are with it, others compared it to 8 year olds.

Depends on definition of bashing I guess, but there are certainly some “less than positive” posts if you scroll up a bit.
Some talk about how unimpressed they are with it, others compared it to 8 year olds.
Things can be low quality and absolutely amazing at the same time, see CPS football.

Agree. I'd let my daughter play in a heartbeat. I think what I appreciate most, for the young ladies, is that it's an option outside of Volleyball and a handful of fringe sports in the Fall for them to get involved with. I'm not trying to take anything away from CC, VB, golf, tennis, or swimming, but this is a nice alternative option for the ladies in the Fall. Clearly there's a lot of interest in it, I think with the right support this could be a very good thing moving forward.
It is so funny that you say this with your first couple sentences. Last year I told both my daughters that girls flag football was coming HS sports. The older one said, "damn, I wish they had that when I was at Lockport. I would definitely have played instead of Volleyball for Hudson." LOL. The younger one also wished it had existed then.

I don't have a problem with girls playing whatever sport they want. Now, about 10 years ago my older daughter was a WR in a women's tackle football league out west. Full uniforms. They had teams in Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Reno, Sacramento and I think in LA too. Maybe more. I can't remember. They called it "semi pro" and she loved it. She played two seasons and we did get to see one of her games. No, it wasn't the same as men's, but who cares? It was fun to watch.

Because some people's lives are so unfulfilled that the only way they feel relevant is to demean everyone/everything else that is progressing in a positive way. They have such low self-esteem that anyone doing anything positive is a threat to them. Some even attempt to bring in other factors that no one else is discussing just so their narrative fits what they want to believe. Its really sad. Usually its the same guys that used to sit in the bleachers talking tough while the rest of us played on the field.
Always remember, the guys with the biggest mouths are the ones who aren't in the arena and most never really were.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT