ADVERTISEMENT

It's that time! Can Bolingbrook beat GW?

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
A few GW posters have appeared this preseason giving us early indications that hopes are high at GW...and why shouldn't they be?

Meanwhile, according to our resident brook expert, the brook is going to suck this season.

While GW is known for their defense, in my opinion, what has held them back from winning more titles is a lack of offensive diversity. Their offense brings back a lot, and will be a strength.But Brook's defense has some star power as well. This is what the game comes down to for me...Can GW pull away? If so, I think their defense is too good to allow a comeback. If this game goes into the 4th close, obviously, it's anyone's game.

should be a close one. 2 of Illinois' top D1 recruits Tuf Borland and Sam Brodner will be goin to head to head. should be a good game as well.

I just don't want to get clocked. I will have my GBW letterman jacket in the trunk just in case this one gets out of hand.

Reactions: amygertie
The game is a home game for GW, so that is a plus for them. The first game of the season is often an ugly thing to watch. I agree with the comment about diversity on offense at GW. They tend to do better in years when they have a passing threat, as with last year's team and the 7A championship year 3 years ago. Let's see how they do next week at the National Select 7 on 7 at WWS. But as for this year's game against Bolingbrook, you have to respect Bolingbrook, but I'd give GW the edge, and if GW wins in Wheaton next week, then maybe more than just an edge.

only advantage we have is unpredictability. GBW can't know what to prepare for.

Why will they be unpredictable Cross Bones? Do they have new coaches, and/or new systems in place?
I thought they have the same Coach.
The system is dictated by the talent. We return like 5 starters. I have no idea what we will see on offense. I am told I will like it though.

I'm not that familiar with the Bolingbrook program. For those who are, do you expect Bolingbrook to be better this year than last? I'm pretty certain that GW will be better this season than last. I'm hoping for a good game, not a 6-2 game. Does Bolingbrook play on a natural turf field at home?

I'm not that familiar with the Bolingbrook program. For those who are, do you expect Bolingbrook to be better this year than last? I'm pretty certain that GW will be better this season than last. I'm hoping for a good game, not a 6-2 game. Does Bolingbrook play on a natural turf field at home?
the brook will be better than last year, and I anticipate they will have a better defense and a slightly improved offense.

What they do offensively this year is still mystery - as far as style of play.

the brook will be better than last year, and I anticipate they will have a better defense and a slightly improved offense.

What they do offensively this year is still mystery - as far as style of play.
Ok good to know. I think it clear that Bolingbrook would not have held up well against GW last year. So let's hope for a good match up this year.

Ok good to know. I think it clear that Bolingbrook would not have held up well against GW last year. So let's hope for a good match up this year.
If you believe JCHILL I have a bridge to sell you. Last year would have been a good game. This year I don't want to be clocked. I thought Barrington was whooping on GBW and choked.

If you believe JCHILL I have a bridge to sell you. Last year would have been a good game. This year I don't want to be clocked. I thought Barrington was whooping on GBW and choked.
Lol...when the game was played, GW won. I thought GW slept through the first half and Barrington benefited from that. GW came alive in the second half and it turned out about the way it should have. Barrington was a fine team last year. Really well coached.

Your nit giving that brook team the credit they deserved last year
I'm just using Hinsdale Central as the differential. And GW didn't just score more points than HC (42-7), but beat them physically. HC called the game with over 4 minutes to go in the 4th. I've never seen that before but they had several players carted off to the hospital and had had enough. Nothing against Bolingbrook but I don't know enough about them to know if that was a good team last year or not. But based on what you're saying I'm guessing that this will be a good game this season.

I'm just using Hinsdale Central as the differential. And GW didn't just score more points than HC (42-7), but beat them physically. HC called the game with over 4 minutes to go in the 4th. I've never seen that before but they had several players carted off to the hospital and had had enough. Nothing against Bolingbrook but I don't know enough about them to know if that was a good team last year or not. But based on what you're saying I'm guessing that this will be a good game this season.
Yes, the West Sub teams tend to lay down for for GBW. Sometimes schools are beat when they walk on the field. I mean, you managed 3 points vs Stevenson which was 3 less than Mundelein and 3 more than Z-B. While H-F averaged 24.5 vs Stevie. What does all this mean? Nothing really, just that I wouldnt take the HC score and extrapolate it to GBW.

This year though, if GBW doesnt clock us there is a serious problem.

Yes, the West Sub teams tend to lay down for for GBW. Sometimes schools are beat when they walk on the field. I mean, you managed 3 points vs Stevenson which was 3 less than Mundelein and 3 more than Z-B. While H-F averaged 24.5 vs Stevie. What does all this mean? Nothing really, just that I wouldnt take the HC score and extrapolate it to GBW.

I agree. I think last year's brook team, in a hypothetical game, would have been closer. However, that is based on the fact that I think this year's GW is is better than last season's and has little to do with the Brook at all.

Last, year, going into the season, the two teams I was most confused on were cary g and lake z. While I still do not believe cary g were world beaters, i have to admit i underrated them quite a bit. I was spot on when it came to lake z, however.

This year, i am very interested in what the brook does and how well they do. They have a very respectable schedule and talent coming back, particularly on defense. If the brook beats GW, I think they go undefeated in the regular season, especially given they get LWE at home.

I'll stand by my earlier prediction. If GW is up two or more scores at half, GW wins. Other than that, I have no prediction on the game.

Good points about last year comparisons. But I like to analyze differentials among teams. So simply put, the Stevie/GW differential was 4, while the Stevie/HF differential was 6. That made GW a 2 point favorite over HF. But the issue at hand is this year's game. GW has a history of being a little slow out of the gate. Over the last 7 seasons, half of their regular season losses have been in game 1. So maybe this will be a good game. Can't wait!

Good points about last year comparisons. But I like to analyze differentials among teams. So simply put, the Stevie/GW differential was 4, while the Stevie/HF differential was 6. That made GW a 2 point favorite over HF. But the issue at hand is this year's game. GW has a history of being a little slow out of the gate. Over the last 7 seasons, half of their regular season losses have been in game 1. So maybe this will be a good game. Can't wait!
I look at it like Stevie had more than 2x the points that GBW had. But really what I look at is matchups. Generally GBW is more physical than their opponents. Generally you get nothing being a one dimesional running team vs The Brook. However this upcoming season is looking like 2010 where we were too young to stop the run. I hope I'm wrong. Good news is our soph were 8-1 and there was a couple up on Varsity.

I have us winning in 2016 for sure though.

I look at it like Stevie had more than 2x the points that GBW had. But really what I look at is matchups. Generally GBW is more physical than their opponents. Generally you get nothing being a one dimesional running team vs The Brook. However this upcoming season is looking like 2010 where we were too young to stop the run. I hope I'm wrong. Good news is our soph were 8-1 and there was a couple up on Varsity.

Yeah this was probably the best sophomore team Bolingbrook has ever had in a while. I believe 2016 is their year. And yes I believe they had a center that was a sophomore. Also a freshman DT.

My only experience with Bolingbrook over the last few seasons is what I've seen on high school cube. So not much to go by. But GW is physical, but their real strength is speed. Their D line only averaged about 200 pounds the last few years, but they still manages to control the line. I think this season will bring them more size along with good speed. The only question marks are part of the secondary, and do they have more than one pass threat. Can't wait for the National Select 7 on 7 this week to get a look at them.

My only experience with Bolingbrook over the last few seasons is what I've seen on high school cube. So not much to go by. But GW is physical, but their real strength is speed. Their D line only averaged about 200 pounds the last few years, but they still manages to control the line. I think this season will bring them more size along with good speed. The only question marks are part of the secondary, and do they have more than one pass threat. Can't wait for the National Select 7 on 7 this week to get a look at them.

Chuck - it's great to see some new blood around here kicking knowledge about a historically rich program - hoping you stick around all season.

Reactions: chuck998
The game is a home game for GW, so that is a plus for them. The first game of the season is often an ugly thing to watch. I agree with the comment about diversity on offense at GW. They tend to do better in years when they have a passing threat, as with last year's team and the 7A championship year 3 years ago. Let's see how they do next week at the National Select 7 on 7 at WWS. But as for this year's game against Bolingbrook, you have to respect Bolingbrook, but I'd give GW the edge, and if GW wins in Wheaton next week, then maybe more than just an edge.
In this post I commented about the National Select 7 on 7 at WWS. I attended the pool competition in Wheaton today and had an opportunity to see GW and the other teams play 7on7 touch football. My checklist for GW was to see a QB who could throw the ball around, at least 2 good receivers (1 more than last year's team), and a solid group of defenders that were equal to or better than last year's defense. GW went 4-0-1. I can't attend tomorrow's bracket competition, but will follow the games over the internet. As for my checklist, QB is everything I had hoped for; 2 1/2 receivers; and the defense is right where I'd expect them. Fun day and high expectations for the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT