ADVERTISEMENT

ironically...the DVC

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
As i catch up, i'm feeling the DVC is the best conference this season. I'm not sure that is saying a whole lot about our great state and state of football, but top to bottom, i think they win out.

As i catch up, i'm feeling the DVC is the best conference this season. I'm not sure that is saying a whole lot about our great state and state of football, but top to bottom, i think they win out.
Most conferences you have 3 or 4 very easy games. In the DVC this year you get just one. There is not even a close 2nd this year.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I like the DVC. May even become one. But are we supposed to ignore the non-conference games?

Reactions: EdgyTim
Yes because by definition non-Conference refers to games outside of your conference.
DVC has a weird dynamic where I think any of the schools that make the playoffs could make a run, and the top 8 schools can compete with each other. Then you have where those same teams lose to DeKalb, are down at half to Lockport, and are getting blown out by Edwardsville at half.

Thus it's hard to grasp what exactly we are seeing. I suppose the playoffs will tell.

DVC has a weird dynamic where I think any of the schools that make the playoffs could make a run, and the top 8 schools can compete with each other. Then you have where those same teams lose to DeKalb, are down at half to Lockport, and are getting blown out by Edwardsville at half.

Thus it's hard to grasp what exactly we are seeing. I suppose the playoffs will tell.

It’s easier to look great in a two or three games a season when you have a vacation 4 times a year to rest your players. At the end of last nights game I saw two visuals. A happy NC secondary celebrating the deflected pass in the end zone and then I turned to see their huge dominant d lineman limping his way off the field. Too tired and beat up to celebrate with his team. The kid had been through a war and survived. You see crazy results when you have to be on every single week to win. Remember this is only the third season of this DVC setup. This is a mad scientists creation where 7 teams could have 5 or more victories next week.

It’s easier to look great in a two or three games a season when you have a vacation 4 times a year to rest your players. At the end of last nights game I saw two visuals. A happy NC secondary celebrating the deflected pass in the end zone and then I turned to see their huge dominant d lineman limping his way off the field. Too tired and beat up to celebrate with his team. The kid had been through a war and survived. You see crazy results when you have to be on every single week to win. Remember this is only the third season of this DVC setup. This is a mad scientists creation where 7 teams could have 5 or more victories next week.

I will second that. Without the de facto bye weeks" the attrition week to week is a killer. And with the drop in the numbers playing - I worry many DVC teams may be a shell of their former selves come playoff time.

Taking Crossbones example - LP and Dekalb. LP was playing without many of their starters who were banged up in the first two games with WV and WWS. They went on a 3 game losing streak and then got healthier and then come back and win Two straight.

If the DVC had the Provisios and East Auroras intermixed where the starters are done by halftime - it would be much more manageable and I think you would see stronger and more quality runs in the playoffs for the teams that make it.

Reactions: Gene K.

I kinda already put my thoughts into seconding Falcons sentiments in the above post - but wanted to add one more thing. I don't think there is one or two truely dominant teams in the DVC and that may be the difference come playoff time. I think the top 8 are all very competitive and close with each other - and I believe the same holds true with outside the conference (st Eds and LWC losses but close and Eds win and everyone else played a cupcake). I do not know how a team from the DVC parity will stack up with a conference dominant team like MS, LZ, LWE, Barrington. Like Bones said - playoffs should tell us soon!

Reactions: FalconPadre
tbJBnUn.gif

Not one top 20 team in the DVC this year... NC is the closest. Watched a lot of football over the years- Loyola, MS, and LWE would crush all of us. WN might win a playoff game because they are in 7a.

The DVC has been fun to watch because there isn't a dominant team. Dominant teams play all parts of the game. Most of these teams have great players but are deficient in one area or another. If they can run they can't pass. If they can pass its because they cant sustain the run. Some have amazing offense and no defense or the other way around. Makes match ups fun but will be hard to compete with total teams come playoffs. Plus playing in a meat grinder means lots of injuries. Teams are getting thin and I see more and more kids leaving the field. Will make it tough for any of these teams to win 5 in a row.

Not one top 20 team in the DVC this year... NC is the closest. Watched a lot of football over the years- Loyola, MS, and LWE would crush all of us. WN might win a playoff game because they are in 7a.
Wheaton North is capable of winning more than one game in 7A.
Really respect what the coaches at WN have done this year in terms of building their team/game planning based upon what they have in terms of talent. LOVE their recipe for success; strong defense, run the ball and control the clock and tempo (keep other teams offense off the field; i.e this past week against NC which almost worked out against a high powered offense) don't turn the ball over. Don't beat yourself seems like their motto this year. I wish a lot of our other DVC teams would adopted this motto. Yes, I'm talking about you WV & LP!
As for our 8A teams, I agree, it would not surprise me if we go 4 - 0 in the first round or 0 - 4.

Having watched a lot of non-DVC games this year. There are definitely not 17 teams better then every team in the DVC. I am sure your loss to WV stung but come on now be serious.

We need the light side rankings so we have an idea what you see

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Yes that would have really brought my point across. Using the term game instead of war. Like monopoly or something. Here is a tutorial for you on the topic:

Made those same sacrifices. It's not war.

Go visit a VA Hospital, tell them about ACLs and concussions...

I have been to ten military bases I don't need to be educated on the military. It is a metaphor that is quite common. Playing war games on the computer isn't actually war either but yet it is called a war game. It isn't called a war game to mock war. It is a simulation. A modified version of war. Football is a game played in the trenches that is both physical and mentally grueling. Not on the par with war of course but there is an offense and defense. Strategy is implemented to penetrate defenses by the offense. Like war games that soldiers use to prepare themselves for battle. I understand kids are rarely killed playing football but can have long lasting life changing injuries. My older son will suffer from migraines for the rest of his life from wrestling. He didn't fight in a war but that doesn't make his head feel any better.

If you are a soldier and suffered the scars of battle I have the upmost respect for you and your sacrifice. The war metaphor is strictly from a tactical and physicality standpoint and isn't meant to diminish the military. If you are offended by the metaphor then I apologize but that is not the intention of the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT