ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
We have seen so many injuries in MLB and the NBA this year. Are we seeing this in other sports?

Is there a reason for this? We have gone through a lot in the last year and a half including a time with no sports, covid, medicine for covid and etc. What's your thoughts on why there are so many sports injuries?

Seems to me that the stronger athletes get the more susceptible they are to injury especially with weight lifting. Building muscle is about breaking down fibers and them growing back bigger. Perhaps that strain coupled with some sports is too tough on these guys. Seems like back in the day when guys were “country strong” as Hawk Harrelson would say, we saw less injuries. Just my thoughts…

With specialization to go along with AAU basketball and travel baseball by the time guys get to the pros they have been using the same muscles year round for 15-20 years, taking breaks is a good thing and allows your body to recover.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
With specialization to go along with AAU basketball and travel baseball by the time guys get to the pros they have been using the same muscles year round for 15-20 years, taking breaks is a good thing and allows your body to recover.
NBA says injury numbers the same for past 3 years. Maybe it is just who is getting injured?

Reactions: i011763
Actually the NBA injuries are down slightly. MLB is interesting. Hard to pinpoint certain reasons, but the white Sox should definitely be looking into strength and conditioning staff. Pretty unacceptable

From the many articles I have read, docs I have talked to as well as some who are/were in the arena, there is more than one factor alone.

Outside of trauma, contact and otherwise accidental injuries (Madigral) many of the torn tissue issues can be attributed to HGH and PED use. We all know when muscle is built, it becomes larger and thus, heavier. Much of the use of PED does enhance muscle development and size while weakening connective tissues. The stress on that connective tissue becomes too much and leads to a tear. I cannot say how many times I have read and heard that from the professionals. The docs and the athletes know.

As for specific injuries to pitchers' arms. The main factor, I am told, is that pitchers are "maxing out" on virtually every pitch. That style of pitching didn't exist years ago. I think we all know that. Also, I see a lot of pitchers turning pitches over when they deliver the ball. Make that move with your hand and wrist next time you watch a game and feel the torque in the elbow.

Some of it delivery too. I always said it was a matter of time before Chris Sale would have arm issues. It is said he had a heavier work load. But, that delivery was bound to lead to problems. Look at Carlos Rodon. Part of his success this year (fingers crossed) is the fact he tweaked his delivery which relieved some stress. I still think Michael Kopech overthrows at times.

Tommy John surgery is no big deal anymore. But, you'd be surprised at how many 15, 16 and 17 year olds are having it done. It's kind of scary. It's one thing for a big league pitcher to have an elbow issue. But when kids are going under the knife for TJ like it's nothing, there is a serious problem.

Much of what I said are things I learned directly from those involved.

From the many articles I have read, docs I have talked to as well as some who are/were in the arena, there is more than one factor alone.

Outside of trauma, contact and otherwise accidental injuries (Madigral) many of the torn tissue issues can be attributed to HGH and PED use. We all know when muscle is built, it becomes larger and thus, heavier. Much of the use of PED does enhance muscle development and size while weakening connective tissues. The stress on that connective tissue becomes too much and leads to a tear. I cannot say how many times I have read and heard that from the professionals. The docs and the athletes know.

As for specific injuries to pitchers' arms. The main factor, I am told, is that pitchers are "maxing out" on virtually every pitch. That style of pitching didn't exist years ago. I think we all know that. Also, I see a lot of pitchers turning pitches over when they deliver the ball. Make that move with your hand and wrist next time you watch a game and feel the torque in the elbow.

Some of it delivery too. I always said it was a matter of time before Chris Sale would have arm issues. It is said he had a heavier work load. But, that delivery was bound to lead to problems. Look at Carlos Rodon. Part of his success this year (fingers crossed) is the fact he tweaked his delivery which relieved some stress. I still think Michael Kopech overthrows at times.

Tommy John surgery is no big deal anymore. But, you'd be surprised at how many 15, 16 and 17 year olds are having it done. It's kind of scary. It's one thing for a big league pitcher to have an elbow issue. But when kids are going under the knife for TJ like it's nothing, there is a serious problem.

Much of what I said are things I learned directly from those involved.
It’s funny you bring up the TJ surgery with teens. A good friend’s high schooler hurt his elbow early this season and even though he didn’t need the surgery, he was practically hoping for it because the mentality is it’s inevitable if you’re a hard thrower and get it out of the way now so you can come back stronger.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
It’s funny you bring up the TJ surgery with teens. A good friend’s high schooler hurt his elbow early this season and even though he didn’t need the surgery, he was practically hoping for it because the mentality is it’s inevitable if you’re a hard thrower and get it out of the way now so you can come back stronger.
I have heard that one too. Two well known sports surgeons in Chicago I am acquainted with said these kids have no parental guidance and their dads think they are the next Nolan Ryan/Jacob deGrom. It's disgusting.

That is a very common occurrence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT