ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Playoff Outlook

You know what, I agree with you.

aside from the HC, they do have a very good staff. Rex is a great coach.

still gotta get by Sparta…and as LZ proved last night, the football isn’t round for a reason.

great reply!
Just so you know, in case you don't already know, that is the head coach of Wheaton Academy that you replied to today. Jim Johanik is the head coach.

This is wild. Morris is one of the front runners in 5A along with maybe Peoria and perhaps A beleaguered Naz if they can snap out of it. Perhaps sycamore.

in 4a, they become just one of 5 to 8 possible contenders. Never seen this on the 4a/5A cutoff before. Any bubble team has to be seeing two vastly different paths and the bigger class is the far less deep and talented class.
Sterling has scored 110 points in there last 2 games and their defense has not given up a point. They look mutch better than they did in Week 2 losing by 7 to
St Francis. They will hang with anyone in 5 A top 10 don’t sleep on them.

Reactions: JCHillmen
Sterling has scored 110 points in there last 2 games and their defense has not given up a point. They look mutch better than they did in Week 2 losing by 7 to
St Francis. They will hang with anyone in 5 A top 10 don’t sleep on them.
The streaming of Sterling's games is one of the best operations in Illinois. The video quality is excellent and the announcers are knowledgeable. Hope the players and their families appreciate the coverage.

The streaming of Sterling's games is one of the best operations in Illinois. The video quality is excellent and the announcers are knowledgeable. Hope the players and their families appreciate the coverage.
I know, I’ve watched other feeds from other schools and it’s like so one put a video camera on the 50 yard and let sit and all you hear is the announcer at the game. I didn’t realize How good it was until then,
Spoiled rotten.

I know, I’ve watched other feeds from other schools and it’s like so one put a video camera on the 50 yard and let sit and all you hear is the announcer at the game. I didn’t realize How good it was until then,
Spoiled rotten.
Got a chance to watch and listen when Rita visited the Warriors a couple of years ago. Great broadcast. Rumor has it, Rita going in that direction. First phone call? Sterling High School, if she wants to do it the right way.

It is by no means a sure thing, and they will need to keep several key players healthy, but I am predicting here and now that Wheaton Academy will win the 4A state championship two months from now.
Thats a bold prediction which seems to have a lot more validity after the 3rd suspect performance by JCA.

Will be updated tomorrow with correct playoff point and team wins.
Yeah, has some Saturday results missing still.

St.Pat’s
Morgan Park

Both slotted as 5A playoff teams (where I’m focusing my attention, selfishly :))

Last edited:
No 4 win teams getting in I don’t think.I hope Argo gets in but they have low points I kept telling them to play some reliable CPS teams that they could beat that would win 3 or 4 games or more

Looking at 8A. It looks like they are not going to have enough 5-4 teams to fill out the bracket. 8 4-4 teams looks like 2 should win. Giving them 3 open slots. So that smaller teams are probably going to stay in the bracket they are in. The bigger schools might be bumping up..

Reactions: cigaros
Updated today. SHG now the smallest 4A.
If Morris is in the South Bracket, SHG will have to beat them and Rochester to reach the 4A title game. Carterville, even if they finish the regular season 9-0 and get the #1 seed in the south, will not be a factor. SHG will be seeded #2 in the south, and Morris and Rochester either #3 or #4. That will be determined by the results of Morris's Friday game against Sycamore.

If Morris is in the South Bracket, SHG will have to beat them and Rochester to reach the 4A title game. Carterville, even if they finish the regular season 9-0 and get the #1 seed in the south, will not be a factor. SHG will be seeded #2 in the south, and Morris and Rochester either #3 or #4. That will be determined by the results of Morris's Friday game against Sycamore.
All.... Macomb should beat Carthage and finish at 9-0. In your scenario (see above) that would mean Macomb would have to be put in the northern bracket of 16. Ratsy P.S. Neighbor Matt bought me the book!

I think a team that barely breaks 500 and still has a chance to make the playoffs is not only rediciolus it’s a disgrace! I wonder what other states require to make the playoffs. I mean it’s bad enough several threads pop up about 5-4 teams making the playoffs now we’re hearing 4-5 teams might get in? Who the hell cares. These teams will be beat like an old car going to the wreaking yard. Damn, isn’t there more interesting things to discuss. Sorry I went on a rant but how did it get to a 4-5 team has a chance? Who the hell cares? They don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. If you want to get to the playoffs win. I guess now it’s just show up and win half your games and your in! Give little Johnny a trophy to make him feel good.

I guess I am the one a bit edgy! 😂

I am sorry but I didn’t grow up in a era where mediocre was good enough. I guess I am old.🙃

I think a team that barely breaks 500 and still has a chance to make the playoffs is not only rediciolus it’s a disgrace! I wonder what other states require to make the playoffs. I mean it’s bad enough several threads pop up about 5-4 teams making the playoffs now we’re hearing 4-5 teams might get in? Who the hell cares. These teams will be beat like an old car going to the wreaking yard. Damn, isn’t there more interesting things to discuss. Sorry I went on a rant but how did it get to a 4-5 team has a chance? Who the hell cares? They don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. If you want to get to the playoffs win. I guess now it’s just show up and win half your games and your in! Give little Johnny a trophy to make him feel good.

I am sorry but I didn’t grow up in a era where mediocre was good enough. I guess I am old.🙃
Focusing on record only isn't a good idea. There are teams that play nobody and end up 8-1 or 9-0 but then fold like a house of cards first playoff game they have. Others go 6-3 or even 5-4 because they're playing power houses and then once they hit playoffs, absolutely kill it because they're battled tested. At the end of the day, it should probably be some sort of strength of schedule calculation. Figuring that out and keeping it as simple as a wins/losses type calculation would be virtually impossible.

Just for the record, were I a coach, I'd much rather face a 9 -0 -Carterville than a 4-5 NLP

Reactions: RockSoup
All.... 4A showing 563.00 - 862.50. In that group as well Wood River 583.50 (6-2) and Johnsburg 595.50 (4-4) who play 0-8 Harvard Friday. Ratsy
WTF. It now looks like the same numbers from last week. They earlier had Macomb as largest 3A when I originally posted around lunch time.

As much as I wish I could agree with you, I think this is a bad take. IMO Highland’s best team ever (2018) ended their season to a measly 5-4 team (JCA) who then went on to win state. I think records can be misleading. I would hope you agree that the best team is crowned the state champion at the end of each year.

go to 2018-2019 year 5A for reference

As much as I wish I could agree with you, I think this is a bad take. IMO Highland’s best team ever (2018) ended their season to a measly 5-4 team (JCA) who then went on to win state. I think records can be misleading. I would hope you agree that the best team is crowned the state champion at the end of each year.

go to 2018-2019 year 5A for reference
Loyola won 8A the same year with 4 losses. IC and Montini have also won state championships with 4 losses.

Every team makes the playoffs in Indiana. And the last time I checked, the only ones getting a trophy is the champion and the runner up.

Reactions: Irishfan90
Loyola won 8A the same year with 4 losses. IC and Montini have also won state championships with 4 losses.
It’s a long shot at best. Look at the percentages. They are horrible. I am not talking about 5-4 I am talking about 4-5 teams playing in the playoffs. 5-4 was bad enough now we’re talking about losing records getting in. Is this hockey? Wow where’s the expectation of actually winning. Does a 4-5 team deserve to play in the playoffs? IMO No! Hell no! Go ahead tell me I am wrong and I will hand you a trophy. Lol

Reactions: USD24
It’s a long shot at best. Look at the percentages. They are horrible. I am not talking about 5-4 I am talking about 4-5 teams playing in the playoffs. 5-4 was bad enough now we’re talking about losing records getting in. Is this hockey? Wow where’s the expectation of actually winning. Does a 4-5 team deserve to play in the playoffs? IMO No! Hell no! Go ahead tell me I am wrong and I will hand you a trophy. Lol
Maybe I misunderstood you. I read this as 5-4 teams making the playoffs as disgraceful.

“I think a team that barely breaks 500 and still has a chance to make the playoffs is not only rediciolus it’s a disgrace!”

I think other threads have shown how we have gotten to this point (less 11 man teams, etc) and still needing to fill a 256 team field for playoffs.

If a 4-5 team gets in so be it. They should be a pretty darn good football team having a high number of playoff points. I would guess an at large 4-5 team could give a #1 seed some fits depending on what class they fall in.

Maybe I misunderstood you. I read this as 5-4 teams making the playoffs as disgraceful.

“I think a team that barely breaks 500 and still has a chance to make the playoffs is not only rediciolus it’s a disgrace!”

I think other threads have shown how we have gotten to this point (less 11 man teams, etc) and still needing to fill a 256 team field for playoffs.

If a 4-5 team gets in so be it. They should be a pretty darn good football team having a high number of playoff points. I would guess an at large 4-5 team could give a #1 seed some fits depending on what class they fall in.
Don’t mind me I am just being cranky. I am looking forward to watching the best in the state. 5-4 or 4-5 doesn’t excite me. It just me.😀

I am sorry but I didn’t grow up in an era where mediocre was good enough. I guess I am old.🙃
I rather see a competitive 4-5 or 3-6 team get in who played a tough schedule over a 6-3,7-2 who played a weak one

I don’t honk any 4-5 teams make it except the one conference champ.

If there are , then there will be some teams that pull upsets.

Most likely, there will be one or two 5-4’s that DONT make it. Real close this year for the 4-5’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT