ADVERTISEMENT

Iggy 27 MC 0 final

Loss to DeLaSalle in 95 and Rice in 97 were much worse. Neither of those teams even made the playoffs.
Beating DLS 33-0 and then losing to them 9-6 two weeks later in the playoffs in 93 still makes me ill. McNabbs senior year too.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Loss to DeLaSalle in 95 and Rice in 97 were much worse. Neither of those teams even made the playoffs.
When any of the traditional CCL power teams beat another it can definitely be viewed as an upset if one team is having a worse year than the other. It can also be viewed as expected because that’s how it’s always been in the CCL. You come ready to play or you can get beat because of how good the league is.
SI has not been even remotely considered a traditional CCL power. As a matter of fact they didn’t have a team at all for 40 years and restarted a team 15 years ago. They’ve had differing degrees of success in the last 15 years but certainly not close to being considered a top team in the CCL. This year they’re in the 4th level of the CCL. Obviously this is a very good SI team and possibly ready to rise to the Blue level eventually.
MC has a young and very talented team and came into the game with impressive wins on the road against SR and Marist, and blew out traditional CPL power Phillips. It looked like a classic MC reload as opposed to rebuild in the making. SI came into the game undefeated with wins over Von Stuben, Bremen, St. Laurence and Marmion . I fully expected as I’m sure most people expected that MC would have no problem coming away with a win. They got shut out 27-0. I was shocked as I’d say most observers were.
To the die hard MC faithful I’m sure there are games that were considered bigger upsets or more painful losses but to the casual to serious HS football fan this was a monumental upset.
I mentioned in my post that I thought MC would learn from this and get better. I have no doubt Coach Lynch has stressed the importance of preparation, never looking past an opponent , being ready to play every game and playing from whistle to whistle all game long. This may be SI notice to the league and state that they are moving up. I hope they will. I think it would be good for the league. I still stand by what I said. It’s the biggest upset to me in 40 years of observation.

I was about to give you a like on this until I read your prediction on a 10 game series. Pump the brakes on that. MC does not have the reputation they have or the State Titles they have by not learning from and fixing their mistakes. To quote Tommy Boy, “You got one past me, savor the flavor, it won’t happen again”.
335 yards rushing for Iggy and a shutout. This wasn't an accident, it was a total control the LOS beatdown. The better team won and it was clearly Iggy. It wasn't flee flickers, a botched extra point, a squeaker of a win. It was a beatdown on MTC field. Nothing will change if these teams played each other again. You don't make up this much of a mismatch. Not an upset.

335 yards rushing for Iggy and a shutout. This wasn't an accident, it was a total control the LOS beatdown. The better team won and it was clearly Iggy. It wasn't flee flickers, a botched extra point, a squeaker of a win. It was a beatdown on MTC field. Nothing will change if these teams played each other again. You don't make up this much of a mismatch. Not an upset.
Eh

Let’s end this with a huge agree to disagree

Reactions: dweise

So from an outsiders view point. I know MC program fairly well and will admit I know very little about Iggy. That being said MC has demonstrated over the years they have and will bounce back. I have witnessed it for many years. I can’t say the same thing about Iggy or is program. The MC coaches will have their players right the ship. If I were you I would be happy and humble with the excellent win and then hope you don’t face MC in the playoffs. Iggy played a perfect game and had a great plan. Tip your hat to the Iggy coaches and the players for executing the plan. You are kidding yourself if you think MC will allow that to happen a second time. I am not saying MC wins the game but it will be a different close game.

I see what @dcaudle68 is saying. From the reports and stats posted it sounds like Iggy was physically better. The same way certain schools bully small enrollment schools it seems Iggy did to MC. So unless they were holding the stronger guys out it would seem Iggy should still be the more imposing team. It's awfully hard to beat a team that physically dominates you.

That said maybe MC has more speed in the skills and can try to be the R-B to Iggy's JCA.

I don't know man, that was quite the beatdown. Sometimes it's not your year. Trust me, we are having that year in Lombard.
MC beat the #1 and #4 team in the State and is 4-1, they aren’t suffering through a rough year by any means, just had a rough game against a team that is 5-0 and not many people are giving credit too that they’re a great team this season regardless of their past reputation. MC will probably end 6-3 mostly likely and then we’ll see what happens.

MC beat the #1 and #4 team in the State and is 4-1, they aren’t suffering through a rough year by any means, just had a rough game against a team that is 5-0 and not many people are giving credit too that they’re a great team this season regardless of their past reputation. MC will probably end 6-3 mostly likely and then we’ll see what happens.

I'll retract, but it's not a good sign for the playoffs for the Caravan.

I'll retract, but it's not a good sign for the playoffs for the Caravan.
Have you seen the first half of the game between MC and SI?

At halftime, the game could have easily been a 10-10 tie.

Don't get me wrong, SI dominated the game and deserved to win, but if they played this week with Lewis on the defensive line and Thompson at wide receiver, it would be a competitive game. This year's oversight of SI will not be repeated.

When it comes to the play-offs, MC will be fine.

Have you seen the first half of the game between MC and SI?

At halftime, the game could have easily been a 10-10 tie.

Don't get me wrong, SI dominated the game and deserved to win, but if they played this week with Lewis on the defensive line and Thompson at wide receiver, it would be a competitive game. This year's oversight of SI will not be repeated.

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle! Ignatius dominated that whole game on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: mchsalumni
And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle! Ignatius dominated that whole game on both sides of the ball.
Not nowadays she wouldn’t. No doubt that they dominated MC and it was a Huge win for Ignatius.

Did it ever occur to you that it just wasn’t MC’s night and the game just got away from them? That happens to dominant teams. Right? Just look at the previous week when Ignatius was taken to the limit against Marmion and squeaked out a W. Not taking anything away from Ignatius……. If they’re truly a dominant team as you say what happened in week 4? Maybe it wasn’t their night just like week 5 wasn’t MC’s.

Savor the victory because it was monumental for Ignatius. But it’s really time to move on.

I tend to get carried away, but I think they'll beat one of them, maybe both. Rankings don't mean anything.

Last edited:

Check historical data on how many state titles MC has when they get blanked in a regular season game. My guess is 0. Just not a great sign.

Check historical data on how many state titles MC has when they get blanked in a regular season game. My guess is 0. Just not a great sign.
Once...3 times if you count where they didn’t score a TD and just a FG or Safety. And your a knowledgeable enough poster to know that doesn’t amount to a hill of beans on their chances in the playoffs.

Once...3 times if you count where they didn’t score a TD and just a FG or Safety. And your a knowledgeable enough poster to know that doesn’t amount to a hill of beans on their chances in the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything definitively, just going off what I see and what I know. Getting blanked by a smaller school without a recent positive football history raises eyebrows.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I'm not saying anything definitively, just going off what I see and what I know. Getting blanked by a smaller school without a recent positive football history raises eyebrows.
Did you watch the first half of the MC vs SI game?

The first half was a litany of errors.

1. MC squibs the kickoff, SI scores easily, leads 7-0.
2. Dupree dashes 40 yards to the SI ten. MC stalls, misses FG.
3. MC forces a fumble, fails to convert.
4. SI scores easily, leads 14-0
5. MC fumbles ensuing kickoff, SI recovers.
6. SI kicks FG, leads 17-0.

The second half wasn't much better.

1. MC fails to convert on 4th and 2.
2. SI takes over and scores, leads 24-0
3. MC still spinning its wheels.
4. SI kicks FG, wins 27-0

Last edited:
Just made this question pop into my head, has MC ever petitioned up?
I don’t believe so. I believe that there was a 7-8 year span that they were in 8A just as a normal placement. I thought in ‘13 they would since they won 8A in ‘12 but they were 7A in ‘13. I don’t know how much the possibility of being the first school to win a title in 5A, 6A, 7A & 8A played into the decision not to petition up.

Reactions: PowerI66
I don’t believe so. I believe that there was a 7-8 year span that they were in 8A just as a normal placement. I thought in ‘13 they would since they won 8A in ‘12 but they were 7A in ‘13. I don’t know how much the possibility of being the first school to win a title in 5A, 6A, 7A & 8A played into the decision not to petition up.
I thought they did petition up? It was years back, and their enrollment was a sliver of those in both 7 and 8a.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT