ADVERTISEMENT

Iggy 27 MC 0 final

Let’s not make this about BR & LA. That’s over. I suggest BR focus on MC. They have a chance to take down a young Caravan team. If I were Rice coach’s I would be studying the Iggy game film.
Instead one BR varsity coach is on Twitter liking anything and everything St. Ignatius puts out on victory against MC. I’d say MC is living rent free in this guys head!

• Sad
Reactions: Gene K.
Let me ask you this. Who has Br. Rice played this year besides Loyola? I’ll answer. Nobody! MC goes 2-1 against St Rita, Marist and a very good St. Ignatius team all on the road. I’d say those are dam good results.

Reactions: LADRN-MCDAD
You can split hairs on which years teams were up and down but I never remember SI being in the discussion of CCL powers.
When Iggy brought football back, I thought they could be a football power. Many argued against my predictions. They were obviously right. But they have been trending upwards in the last 7 years. Someone pointed out the frosh soph scores against MC, so maybe this is just one special team. Or maybe it will get more kids who would go to other programs sitting for the test in December?

• Love
Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
Apples to oranges: in 2019 LA was without their starting QB in the regular season & that led to the perfect storm of pick 6’s for BR, whereas in the championship game BR QB played on a bum leg. As others have stated (and I know this changes nothing) if Bean were 100% Crusaders probably win.
Iggy punched the young Caravan right in the mouth and they didn't respond at all.... I was at the game....Iggy definitely came to play...
Kudos to them.....but....MC had a poor week of practice and it showed....Definitely wasn't the same MC team I have seen the 1st 4 weeks...they were sloppy from beginning to end....I do believe they were looking ahead to Rice and thought they'd be able to flip a switch....Caravan beat Rita and Marist...better teams than Iggy...
But....Iggy is legit..they played hard nosed disciplined ball...and they do have players....perfect storm for a loss....I think this young Caravan team needed this smack in the face...I look forward to them making a deep run in the playoffs....Go Caravan

Iggy punched the young Caravan right in the mouth and they didn't respond at all.... I was at the game....Iggy definitely came to play...
Kudos to them.....but....MC had a poor week of practice and it showed....Definitely wasn't the same MC team I have seen the 1st 4 weeks...they were sloppy from beginning to end....I do believe they were looking ahead to Rice and thought they'd be able to flip a switch....Caravan beat Rita and Marist...better teams than Iggy...
But....Iggy is legit..they played hard nosed disciplined ball...and they do have players....perfect storm for a loss....I think this young Caravan team needed this smack in the face...I look forward to them making a deep run in the playoffs....Go Caravan

How do you know they had a poor week in practice? I would rather you said the coaches had a bad game plan. I hate hearing excuses. IMO the coaches take the blame.

Apples to oranges: in 2019 LA was without their starting QB in the regular season & that led to the perfect storm of pick 6’s for BR, whereas in the championship game BR QB played on a bum leg. As others have stated (and I know this changes nothing) if Bean were 100% Crusaders probably win.
Yeah, and if the Queen had balls she’d be the King!

• Haha
Reactions: corey90 and Gene K.
How do you know they had a poor week in practice? I would rather you said the coaches had a bad game plan. I hate hearing excuses. IMO the coaches take the blame.
You're correct.....it was both....truly a collective effort...or lack of one...
Whatever the game plan was...they didn't adjust well or at all after halftime....

In 2018 SI took Loyola to OT...many people actually swore LA should have lost because they had an obvious hold in the end zone in regulation that was missed and would have given SI 2 points. Everyone laughed and swore off LA. Then LA got shut out by Montini for their third loss. I found @Bowie50 roaming the streets just mumbling to himself “Eh”. 7 weeks later LA won State. To quote the great Buddy Garrity “We don’t win games, we win Seasons”

It was 2018....and you have the nerve to bust on MC’s GPA! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: go_rice and MC2023
Guessing by MCDAD in his handle he may have a kid on the team that said “Dad, we had a bad week of practice”. But yes, unless he was told that before the game then it’s just a standard run of mill excuse

In 2018 SI took Loyola to OT...many people actually swore LA should have lost because they had an obvious hold in the end zone in regulation that was missed and would have given SI 2 points. Everyone laughed and swore off LA. Then LA got shut out by Montini for their third loss. I found @Bowie50 roaming the streets just mumbling to himself “Eh”. 7 weeks later LA won State. To quote the great Buddy Garrity “We don’t win games, we win Seasons”
You son of a! Hold my Bowie Bar!

My son went to Ignatius. Graduated 4 years ago. What sports are very poor?
I was talking the 1980's-90's which is when my sons graduated. At that time they were average to poor at best in all sports. I believe this is the first time they beat MC in football since Iggy reinstated their a football team. Within the last decade, they have appeared to start getting better athletes. I have always rooted for them regardless.

Last edited:
When Iggy brought football back, I thought they could be a football power. Many argued against my predictions. They were obviously right. But they have been trending upwards in the last 7 years. Someone pointed out the frosh soph scores against MC, so maybe this is just one special team. Or maybe it will get more kids who would go to other programs sitting for the test in December?
I believe if Iggy gets into the playoffs and gets some wins, they will get more athletic type kids to apply. The only drawback is that Iggy is very selective academically to get in. At one time a student had to test in the 90% of all kids to get in. Don't know if that is still true but assume it is. They do have legacy enrollments though for kids whose father or mother graduated or a sibling at the school.

The point was that an excellent LA team got beat badly due to the play of BR but also significantly due to their backup and inexperienced QB throwing multiple picks and losing control. In my view, MC lost to a good SI team and a significant reason was their inexperience. I believe the loss was an aberration that will teach the young MC team how to deal with adversity.

I believe if Iggy gets into the playoffs and gets some wins, they will get more athletic type kids to apply. The only drawback is that Iggy is very selective academically to get in. At one time a student had to test in the 90% of all kids to get in. Don't know if that is still true but assume it is. They do have legacy enrollments though for kids whose father or mother graduated or a sibling at the school.
The big drawback is the $20k tuition. Coupled with the academic standards, it’s a very small pool that they can choose from.

Reactions: Gene K.
disciplined
Yes, Iggy ran their plays like clockwork. But they had passion as well as precision. They were as fired up as if they were playing in DeKalb. I don't know why MC came out flatter than a day-old beer, but they are capable of playing with high intensity, as they showed in the third quarter against Marist. But whether they can regroup and rekindle that inner fire is an open question.

Last edited:
MC is a young team and those kind of good young teams learn a lot from adversity. They got their lunch money taken from them by Iggy, but there is no doubt in my mind that MC will respond positively going forward. Two teams I would never take a draw on are Loyola and Mount Carmel in the CCL/ESCC!

Know several families where the children of alumni did not get in as well as siblings. They do not want to accept kids they will know flunk out. My son and many of his friends who continued onto to top schools around the country, including Jesuit colleges, found Ignatius more rigorous. Especially freshman year.

I think Ignatius student athletes go to college to get sleep.

Know several families where the children of alumni did not get in as well as siblings. They do not want to accept kids they will know flunk out. My son and many of his friends who continued onto to top schools around the country, including Jesuit colleges, found Ignatius more rigorous. Especially freshman year.

I think Ignatius student athletes go to college to

Wow! I was always under the impression St. Ignatius was just an elite institution. Never realized they’re super super duper elite.

With all those smart people down at Ignatius one would think they’d figure out a way to get more than 2 portable bathrooms into its stadium.

According to a survey by Chicago magazine, SI is the sixth best private high school in Chicago, behind UofC Lab School, Chicago Latin, Francis Parker, and Lake Forest, and one step ahead of Bennet. If the top public schools, such as Payton, Jones, and Young, were included, Iggy would rank about 12th. Which still makes it the best Catholic high school in town.

According to a survey by Chicago magazine, SI is the sixth best private high school in Chicago, behind UofC Lab School, Chicago Latin, Francis Parker, and Lake Forest, and one step ahead of Bennet. If the top public schools, such as Payton, Jones, and Young, were included, Iggy would rank about 12th. Which still makes it the best Catholic high school in town.
Charter schools and magnet schools are not true "public" schools. Resume your convo.

Rita they did not in the 2nd half. I don't know which game you saw....
The one MC won...how many rushing TDs did Rita have? So in the 4th Q of a 90 degree night SR running back broke off a couple good gains and you think they ran all over MC?

St. Ignatius is in fact a highly rated academic high school. Some folks could call it an elite school. It has a very diverse student body with young men and women coming from various socio-economic groups throughout the city and suburbs. Many of the students from poverty areas are given full scholarships. The main reason I sent my sons there was to learn amongst other kids of different backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. I hope folks in this forum would not consider the pride we have in the school, its students, and now its football team as being overly boastful.

Same goes for last night...."It was just one of those days"
That '97 team is very similar to this years team. Extremely young. They had something like 15-16 starters back for '98 which was one of their best teams going 14-0. '97 also pulled some rabbit's out of hats to win some games like vs Marian and Rita. Similar to week 1 vs Rita. BR was actually not a bad team in '97. Went 5-4 would have been in playoffs today. Had Diehl on the team.
This team is probably even younger then '97 when you factor in the 3 sophs starting on O and the 2 on defense out there all the time. Young team's can be very Jekyll and Hyde I do expect a better performance this upcoming Friday.

I’ve been a fan of HS football and more specifically CCL and ESCC football for 40+ years and I can’t remember a bigger upset in all those years. Hats off to SI and a young MC team will learn from this and become a better team.

Loss to DeLaSalle in 95 and Rice in 97 were much worse. Neither of those teams even made the playoffs.

Reactions: dweise and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT