ADVERTISEMENT

Iggy 27 MC 0 final

I haven't been this stunned since MC lost to De La Salle in 2017. Congrats to St. Iggy. They really came in prepared and it showed. MC did not deserve to win this game. This was far from the MC team that impressed me so much the first 4 games. Maybe they needed to get punched in the mouth. We'll see how they respond.

I’ve been a fan of HS football and more specifically CCL and ESCC football for 40+ years and I can’t remember a bigger upset in all those years. Hats off to SI and a young MC team will learn from this and become a better team.

I’ve been a fan of HS football and more specifically CCL and ESCC football for 40+ years and I can’t remember a bigger upset in all those years. Hats off to SI and a young MC team will learn from this and become a better team.
2 teams both 4-0 and it’s the biggest upset in 40 years? No doubt this was an enormous and well deserved win for Ignatius. The biggest upset in 40 years?

I would say not only the fact that SICP beat MC, but how handily they did it and how dominant they were in this game makes it the most surprising result in close to 40 years.
Yep. I thought the score was backwards in the paper. Then I came here for the info and I'm shocked.

Iggy was 4-0 and very very good, it's only considered a shock because of the traditional names involved. This was total domination. If they play each other 10 times I'm not sure MTC wins once or twice.

Iggy was 4-0 and very very good, it's only considered a shock because of the traditional names involved. This was total domination. If they play each other 10 times I'm not sure MTC wins once or twice.
I was about to give you a like on this until I read your prediction on a 10 game series. Pump the brakes on that. MC does not have the reputation they have or the State Titles they have by not learning from and fixing their mistakes. To quote Tommy Boy, “You got one past me, savor the flavor, it won’t happen again”.

you mean that sort of meaningless spring game at Rice? The game in 2019 was his coming out and he came up short. He remembers where that happened. He (and his old man) have had this game circled (lots of MC guys in Barnabas) and if MC plays like it did at Iggy then Rice will be the first to hang an L on MC at new field. I have no doubt Lynch will have his guys ready, but it would be foolish to think Rice doesn't smell blood in the water after seeing mc score 0 against a decent Iggy team

Last edited:
Congrats to Iggy.

My biggest question after this game is how did they almost lose to Marmion?

Take it easy! That’s a very bold statement my friend. Nobody in the last 40 years has beaten MC 10 out of 10 times And I mean nobody. Silly to predict what one team would do in 10 matchups in a single season because it’ll never happened. It’s hyperbole.

Ignatius stuck it to MC last night so savor the win and move on. Hats off to Ignatius.

Geez, now Edgy's going to have to go to an Iggy game! My two sons went to Iggy. Great academic school but usually very poor in sports. Hats off to them for what appears to be a dominant performance against a young MC team. Could this be the year where Iggy makes some noise in the playoffs and wins some games? I hope so!

Geez, now Edgy's going to have to go to an Iggy game! My two sons went to Iggy. Great academic school but usually very poor in sports. Hats off to them for what appears to be a dominant performance against a young MC team. Could this be the year where Iggy makes some noise in the playoffs and wins some games? I hope so!
My son went to Ignatius. Graduated 4 years ago. What sports are very poor?

Iggy had more explosiveness on the lines and in the backfield. They came determined to win. MC, on the other hand, was missing from the start. The kickoff was squibbed and recovered by Iggy on their 45. From there, they reached the end zone in four or five plays. MC couldn't do anything to stop them. MC generated some offense but couldn't even score on a field goal. Is Iggy good or Carmel bad? Both. As Edgy and other Caravan watchers said at the beginning, MC will probably take some lumps but it could also be a tough out in in the playoffs. Some of us fans got a little ahead of ourselves. In 6A, let's see Iggy and ESL go at it. I'll put my money on the Jesuits.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
Why would you keep scheduling football games against a team you have not beat in 93 years??

And I thought St Ignatious was the top academic school in the state.

We Caravan fans got a little ahead of ourselves. In 6A, let's see Iggy and ESL go at it. I'll put my money on the Jesuits.
Not all of us got ahead of ourselves. I know it was an exciting start, but I still believe that if you have 2 QB’s, you don’t have a QB. I am sure that Lynch and his staff will make adjustments and kids will respond. Another very tough game coming this week.

And if you want to actually make a wager on ESL vs SICP should they meet in the playoffs, to quote Doc Holliday… “I’m your Huckleberry”

You be my Huckleberry and I'll be your Finn.

I changed "We Caravan fans..." to Some of us Caravan fans..."

Last edited:
No, just getting dominated by a more physical and more prepared team. It happens. "Trap game" takes away what Ignatius is doing to the Caravan out there.
So, since MC was dominated by a more physical and more prepared team, it wasn’t a trap game. Got it.

Reactions: Gene K.
MC is a great team. They've beaten the, at the time, #1 and #4 team in the State in SR and Marist. I saw them put 55 points on ND and shut out Phillips 42-0. They just played a good team firing all on cylinders and and for a combination of reasons got taken off guard and lost. Call it trap game, looking ahead, cocky, at the end of the day they lost. I have to stop and remind myself that we are dealing with the minds and emotions of 15-17 yr old teenagers. They are just learning how to deal with things not going as planned.

In my shock I excused MC of being unprepared, that was false. They practiced all week and watched film like they always do, they were prepared. Murphys Law came into effect though. There was 3 plays that MC legitimately nearly broke for TD runs, they got shoe string tackled, maybe that was the difference. SI's played worked, MC's didn't. SI is 5-0 and are making memories for a life time. One of my old Police Partners played on the '97 BR team that beat an undefeated MC 21-3. He said they weren't really good but they beat MC on their homecoming and he'll never forgot it.

I jokingly poke fun @3OrangeWhips for sandbagging, but he spoke some truth in a post last night. MC will come out and play like their hair is on fire. It's their Homecoming, I'm sure they taken an enormous amount of crap, they'll be ready. Will they win? I don't know but I know they will be coming out firing.

MC is a great team. They've beaten the, at the time, #1 and #4 team in the State in SR and Marist. I saw them put 55 points on ND and shut out Phillips 42-0. They just played a good team firing all on cylinders and and for a combination of reasons got taken off guard and lost. Call it trap game, looking ahead, cocky, at the end of the day they lost. I have to stop and remind myself that we are dealing with the minds and emotions of 15-17 yr old teenagers. They are just learning how to deal with things not going as planned.

In my shock I excused MC of being unprepared, that was false. They practiced all week and watched film like they always do, they were prepared. Murphys Law came into effect though. There was 3 plays that MC legitimately nearly broke for TD runs, they got shoe string tackled, maybe that was the difference. SI's played worked, MC's didn't. SI is 5-0 and are making memories for a life time. One of my old Police Partners played on the '97 BR team that beat an undefeated MC 21-3. He said they weren't really good but they beat MC on their homecoming and he'll never forgot it.

I jokingly poke fun @3OrangeWhips for sandbagging, but he spoke some truth in a post last night. MC will come out and play like their hair is on fire. It's their Homecoming, I'm sure they taken an enormous amount of crap, they'll be ready. Will they win? I don't know but I know they will be coming out firing.

Naz beating carmel in maybe 08ish. I think it was the roadrunners only win of the year. Their first year in the escc
Naz’s first year in escc was 2003. In 03 and 04 they went 1-8 with only win being against st joes. In 2005, rackis first year, they broke through and beat Marian and Benet in addition to st joes to finish 3-6. In 2006, they beat joes and an 8-3 Carmel team in addition to a non con win against st Francis to finish 3-6 . 2007 they made the playoffs for the first time.

Same goes for last night...."It was just one of those days"
When the traditional powers beat each other it’s one thing. When SI beats MC it shakes the very foundation of the the CCL. Maybe this is an anomaly and maybe it’s SI announcement that they are moving up. I’m eager to see. Anyone that denies that last nights result was anything short shocking is in denial.

When the traditional powers beat each other it’s one thing. When SI beats MC it shakes the very foundation of the the CCL. Maybe this is an anomaly and maybe it’s SI announcement that they are moving up. I’m eager to see. Anyone that denies that last nights result was anything short shocking is in denial.
1997 when that quote was used BR was years removed from being a traditional power and beat and undefeated MC for the first time in 17 years. At that time it was a huge W for BR.

MC's Fresh won 36-6 and Soph won 29-0 so not sure how long it will last, Iggy has strict entrance and tuition requirements, but they got a good pull of players with this Varsity class.

You can split hairs on which years teams were up and down but I never remember SI being in the discussion of CCL powers.

I have to agree with you septon34. SI came into the game undefeated as did MC. We all expected MC to roll them as they have for years. SI showed they would have none of that and came ready to fight like they have never before. You have to give them credit for punching MC square in the mouth at their home. We know MC will bounce back but did Iggy show other teams a path to beating MC? I wonder if Iggy is really that good or did they find away to beat MC? Teams match up differently for each team they play. The good teams are able to adjust against all teams. So far Iggy has adjusted well this year. MC has done well with this young team but they clearly did not adjust well for Iggy. Only time will tell if Iggy is as good as their record. IMO they have figured out MC and they match up really well against them. If they meet again in the playoffs it will be a dog fight. Their is a good chance Iggy wins again. I would not normally say this but the way they beat MC shows me this was no fluke.

I am absolutely shocked at the score. Any team can lose or win as we have all seen on numerous occasions. But the score and manner is unreal. Not having seen the game and knowing the history of MC, it may be attributed to their youth. Once a game starts getting away, a veteran team can fight back whereas am inexperienced team loses all control and confidence. At some point the coaches for MC probably made it a learning experience, substituted freely and the score got even worse. This reminds me of the LA vs BR first game in 2019 wherein BR beat the crap out of LA. A few short weeks later, we all know what happened in the state final re match. Not to worry MC.

I am absolutely shocked at the score. Any team can lose or win as we have all seen on numerous occasions. But the score and manner is unreal. Not having seen the game and knowing the history of MC, it may be attributed to their youth. Once a game starts getting away, a veteran team can fight back whereas am inexperienced team loses all control and confidence. At some point the coaches for MC probably made it a learning experience, substituted freely and the score got even worse. This reminds me of the LA vs BR first game in 2019 wherein BR beat the crap out of LA. A few short weeks later, we all know what happened in the state final re match. Not to worry MC.
Apples to oranges: in 2019 LA was without their starting QB in the regular season & that led to the perfect storm of pick 6’s for BR, whereas in the championship game BR QB played on a bum leg. As others have stated (and I know this changes nothing) if Bean were 100% Crusaders probably win.

Apples to oranges: in 2019 LA was without their starting QB in the regular season & that led to the perfect storm of pick 6’s for BR, whereas in the championship game BR QB played on a bum leg. As others have stated (and I know this changes nothing) if Bean were 100% Crusaders probably win.
Let’s not make this about BR & LA. That’s over. I suggest BR focus on MC. They have a chance to take down a young Caravan team. If I were Rice coach’s I would be studying the Iggy game film.

These threads become laughable. With all the Monday morning quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork talking out of both sides of their mouths. Before the season it was….

“ MC is rebuilding and are to young to win this year, team will be lucky to get into the playoffs”

After week 1 win vs. St. Rita it was

“MC pulls out late victory vs. St. Rita but without their Div. 1 recruit Kaleb Brown”

Week 2 and 3

“MC outscores their opponents by combined scores of 97-20 including a shutout against weaker opponents”

Week 4 on the road against Marist

“Young Caravan team hasn’t faced a test on the road against a defense like Marist with an offense that includes Div. 1 bound Dontrell Jackson blah blah blah”

Going into week 5 after Marist victory

“ one thing we’ve learned about MC is they don’t rebuild”

“so many young weapons on offense how can teams stop this young Caravan team”

“Combination of Dowling/Arrington is brilliant keeping opposing teams off balance”

“defense is better than anyone expected with their speed and stockpile of young talent”

Week 5 loss to St. Ignatius

“we told you so, MC in big trouble this year”

Week 6 going into Br. Rice……

fill in the blanks because I want it on record. Tell me exactly what is going to happen in week 6!

It might well sound like this

“ Young Caravan rebounds after bump in the road in week 5”

“We knew week 5 loss was a fluke as nothing can stop this young determined caravan Team”

Maybe, Maybe not. This is a very good Br. Rice team with a QB that will no doubt give Carmel fits. A defense that will do the same. Whatever happens, the Monday morning quarterbacks will no doubt be talking out of both sides of their mouths. That’s one guarantee I will make!

Maybe, maybe not. They played two different Loyola teams that year. Think it’s tough to beat a team like Loyola twice in one year. They beat Marist twice that year, which was a feat in and of itself. If Bean had been healthy, maybe they would have scored. Who really knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT