ADVERTISEMENT

If you're looking for an actual coaching hire...

3-6. 2 of the games were winnable.Possible playoff for the first time.Small school.28 players.I hope he can get 35-40 players out for football & a first time playoff appearance

Being a head coach is hard. Being a head coach of two sports is harder. Being a head coach of two varsity sports in a school outside of where you teach seems like a real difficult task.

Reactions: ClownBaby
On a more serious note, Guerin has an uphill climb getting football talent competing with St Pats and Notre Dame. Wish them all the best though.

Just curious. If you had him on ignore, how did you know he responded to your post?
It says that they responded to your comment but that person is on ignore.I like you guys and don't wish to get the flush

@Quags57 @eireog
They're not getting kids from either of those schools. The small glory era of that neighborhood, mainly Borgia, matriculating to become part of the Holy Cross team are a distant memory. I was lucky enough to be young enough to be a part of that small period, albeit I was nothing more than a roster filler. I saw the greats of that time like Blakey, Walz, Markus Coleman, etc. I was a frosh when Garrett Wolfe was a Crusader. I was on the final playoff team we ever had, that gut wrenching loss to Aleman Catholic in the 2003 5A 1st Rd.

Those days won't ever return. Its extremely sad as an alum seeing what they've done to the school. I loved my time as a member of the team. I wasn't good, believe me when I say that, but our coaches made me feel important. That made me work hard in practice. I may have been shit, but I was gonna give it my all for my teammates and my coaches. I had that Crusader Pride. It was real. Guys like Virg Guerin, Joe DiCanio, Jim Stover, Tony Olivo, Stan Martin, Don Mazza, Don Gelsimino, and Tony Pecoraro were great coaches for me and the countless boys who went to Holy Cross.

Even that first year at Guerin, we looked headed in the right direction. They hired hall of fame coach John McIntyre, a state title winner from Bloomington Central Catholic, to be our coach. We underachieved and went 2-7. That was on us. We didnt get it done.

It's not like they're not coaching hard or giving their all at Guerin. I was there, albeit only a season, on the sidelines with them. We prepared just like everyone else. We didn't have the kids to compete, plain and simple.

I could go on forever about what they've done wrong at Guerin. A revolving door of administrative authority, plus a dwindling enrollment, and no sense of identity have played into the downfall that has plagued the school over the last 8 to 10 years.

The writing is on the wall. The school that I loved has turned it's back on many, many loyal people. They've made their bed and they'll have to deal with the consequences.

I hope the new coach is extremely successful. I do wonder though how long that the doors will remain open? The enrollment isn't there anymore. The neighborhood kids are going.

If you're an 8th grader right now you don't even know what Holy Cross was. Its didnt exist when you were born....

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT