ADVERTISEMENT

If the PLAYOFFS started today.... (Week 9)

Catch--22

Sep 29, 2006
Lombard
Every Monday(-ish), I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standings were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of that before proceeding.

My adjustments.....

The CPS is all messed up. I don't know what they intend to do. For those 8 conferences, I left everything as is... Teams in, teams out, and conference reps (or lack there of), all stayed the same.

The Southwest Prairie East did not have a conference rep in the playoff field per the Outlook. As I detailed in another post, there is a 3-way tie for first place between Joliet West, Plainfield East, and Plainfield South. They all went 1-1 against each other. The next tie-breaker (for conference champ) is points allowed IN THE GAMES among the tied teams, which Joliet West wins 36 to 49 to 52. So as of now, Joliet West is their representative at 3-5, All 3 teams play opponents who are 1-7 this week, so JW is in if we have no upsets. If all 3 teams LOSE, Joliet West is IN THE PLAYOFFS at 3-6.

Either way, I need to eliminate 1 team. 7 teams were tied at 4-4/36 at the bottom of the playoff field. They are New Trier (8A), Herrin (4A), North Mac (3A), Carmi-White County (2A), Hamilton County (2A), Sesser-Valier (2A), and Oakland Tri-County (1A). One has to go!

The first two tie-breakers, of course, are wins and playoff points.

The THIRD tie-breaker is total wins by defeated opponents. S-V has 15. HC has 12. OTC, Herrin, and NT all have 10. These teams are safe. NM and CWC have 9 each, and move on to the next tie-breaker.

The FOURTH tie-breaker is head-to-head. This doesn't apply to these two teams.

The FIFTH tie-breaker is number of playoff teams faced. North Mac and Carmi-White County each faced 5 playoff teams.

The SIXTH tie-breaker is number of wins by teams played that qualified for the playoffs. North Mac playoff foes have combined for 31 wins... Carmi-White County foes only have 27. Buh-bye, Carmi-White County!

North Mac is team 256.

By the way, the SEVENTH tie-breaker is points allowed in games against teams that qualified for the playoffs. I probably would've skipped that step and moved on to the EIGHTH tie-breaker... COIN FLIP!

Now I just need to adjust the classes to balance them at 32 teams each. We put Joliet West into the playoffs in 8A, Glenbard East slides down to 7A, Eisenhower slides down to 6A, Antioch slides down to 5A, Peoria Notre Dame slides down to 4A, Kewanee slides down to 3A, Breese Mater Dei slides down to 2A, and Carmi-White County is removed from 2A and the entire playoff field.

THAT'S IT!

Random Thoughts:

-I'm too distracted to do the three smallest classes, biggest/smallest schools, and team nicknames. Sorry for the lousy effort this year. I fell into the winner's trap. But change is coming. Theo, Jed, and I plan on taking a hard look at everything, including an unbiased self-evaluation, and we'll come back much stronger in 2020. There are no untouchables. Not even Catch-22.

-Whitney Young @ Phillips. Hyde Park @ Payton. What does the IHSA intend to do if two CPS schools are set to face each other in the bracket, double-forfeit?

-In the Hyde Park @ Payton bracket is also Fenwick @ Amundson. So Fenwick gets possibly a bye for week 10 AND week 11, into the quarterfinals? In same quad, we also have a tasty little first round game between friggin' ST. RITA and MONTINI!!!! So one of those great teams is gone, Fenwick is on furlough, and Mustang/Bronco has to beat Boylan to play a double-super rested Friars team. Yeah, that seems fair.

-I have another post dedicated to my random thoughts on two CPS conferences and Joliet West qualifying with 3 wins. I'm not even offended or outraged. I may be whining about "fairness' in the previous random thought, but I really do love this. I'm always rooting for this stuff to get tossed sideways. I'd say "GO JOLIET WEST", but I need them to lose to be a 3-win playoff qualifier. So, "DON'T GO JOLIET WEST!!!" Let's see if Romeoville and the Centrals can wreak havoc on the 256.

-"How the hell do you have IC ranked ahead of St. Francis when Francis just beat IC two days ago? You don't know what you're doing!"

* is the smallest team in the class
^ is the biggest team in the class

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Joliet West at #1 Minooka
#17 Plainfield North at #16 Edwardsville
#25 Downers Grove South at #8 Huntley
#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

#29 Oswego East at #4 Warren
#20 Conant at #13 Loyola
#28 Stevenson at #5 Glenbard West
#21 Brother Rice at #12 Hinsdale Central

Lower Bracket
#31 New Trier at #2 Oswego
#18 St. Charles East at #15 Maine South
#26 Marist at #7 Notre Dame
#23 Taft at #10 Neuqua Valley

#30 Lyons at #3 Lincoln-Way East
#19 Bolingbrook at #14 Fremd
#27 Naperville Central at #6 Homewood-Flossmoor
#22 Barrington at #11 South Elgin

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Moline at #1 Mount Carmel
#17 Grany at #16 Thornton
#25 Lake Zurich at #8 Willowbrook
#24 DeKalb at #9 Maine West

#29 Hoffman Estates at #4 Rolling Meadows
#20 Lincoln-Way West at #13 Harlem
#28 Whitney Young at #5 Phillips
#21 Pekin at #12 Hononegah

Lower Bracket
#31 St. Charles North at #2 Nazareth
#18 Proviso East at #15 Andrew
#26 Auburn at #7 Glenbard East
#23 TF South at #10 Benet Academy

#30 Wheaton North at #3 Hersey
#19 Glenbard North at #14 Prospect
#27 Wheaton-Warrenville South at #6 Normal
#22 Lincoln Park at #11 Batavia

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Lake Forest at #1 Richards
#9 Kaneland #8 Riverside-Brookfield
#13 Crystal Lake South at #4 Deerfield
#12 Crystal Lake Central at #5 Lemont

#15 St. Ignatius at #2 Prairie Ridge
#10 Mather at #7 Belvidere North
#14 Reavis at #3 Kenwood
#11 Lakes at #6 Cary-Grove

Lower Bracket
#16 TF North at #1 Glenwood
#9 Rock Island at #8 Yorkville
#13 Washington at #4 Providence
#12 Shepard at #5 Normal

#15 Danville at #2 Crete-Monee
#10 Bremen at #7 Springfield
#14 Eisenhower at #3 Peoria
#11 Thornwood at #6 Simeon

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 St. Viator at #1 Sterling
#9 Elmwood Park #8 Marmion
#13 Morgan Park at #4 Sycamore
#12 Glenbard South at #5 Antioch

#15 St. Laurence at #2 Boylan Catholic
#10 St. Rita at #7 Montini
#14 Hyde Park at #3 Payton
#11 Fenwick at #6 Amundsen

Lower Bracket
#16 Mascoutah at #1 East St. Louis
#9 Morton #8 Cahokia
#13 LaSalle-Peru at #4 Marion
#12 Joliet Catholic at #5 Kankakee

#15 Sacred Heart-Griffin at #2 Hillcrest
#10 Triad at #7 Morris
#14 MacArthur at #3 Dunlap
#11 Highland at #6 Carbondale

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Wheaton Academy at #1 Coal City
#9 Ag Science #8 Marengo
#13 Marine at #4 Richmond-Burton
#12 Sullivan at #5 Immaculate Conception

#15 Sandwich at #2 Valley Central
#10 Bishop Mac at #7 Genoa-Kingston
#14 Manteno at #3 Stillman Valley
#11 Dixon at #6 St. Francis

Lower Bracket
#16 Herrin at #1 Mount Zion
#9 Prairie Central #8 Murphysboro
#13 Taylorville at #4 Effingham
#12 Clinton at #5 Paris

#15 Breese Central at #2 Rochester
#10 Peo Notre Dame at #7 Richland County
#14 Freeburg at #3 Columbia
#11 Salem at #6 Civic Memorial

Last edited:
That 8A Upper Bracket would be an absolute grinder after the 1st Round.

CPS recent playoff history, outside of Phillips and Simeon, any good?
Seems like they get seated high because of record and then get crushed in the playoffs.
The brackets are always seated by most wins, no matter the playoff points total, sos?
Payton and Amundson seated higher than Rita and Montini, legit?

That 8A Upper Bracket would be an absolute grinder after the 1st Round.
I'm happy with Bartlett seed in this bracket...but wow 8A is just stacked. Even the middle seeds are good and teams like Bartlett and SE are going to compete. Should be fun.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I'm happy with Bartlett seed in this bracket...but wow 8A is just stacked. Even the middle seeds are good and teams like Bartlett and SE are going to compete. Should be fun.
Of course, everything will change after Friday night/Saturday afternoon. Just in the WSC, DGS has to play DGN in a cross over, GW has OPRF who has given them fits in the recent past, and HC has LTHS in an emotionally charged matchup.

Obviously the biggest changes will be the Minooka Oswego loser dropping a few seeds, as well as the Meadows Hersey loser. But I’m not in the prediction game.

Reactions: Bowie50
Yah and if you look at 8A a lot of win to get in teams. Lotsa changes there too.

amazing work as always catch

How did St Laurence get knocked out at 4-4 with a shit ton of playoff points?

The Upper Upper8A looks like a cakewalk compared to the lower upper 8A. I would think 5 of those teams would gladly change place with any of the teams in the top group of 8. Probably say the same for a lot of teams in the lower bracket.
? Huh. Did you flip your phone upside down when you read it?

Conant would get absolutely pummeled at Loyola. PUMMELED.

Really don’t know much about Bolingbrook this year but they always have some big time athletes. Definitely a team Fremd would want to avoid in the first round.

South Elgin would be a great draw for Barrington.

-Obviously a lot will change but that’s just my take on a few of the MSL matchups

-As far as the MSL East showdown this week between Hersey and Rolling Meadows I’m taking Hersey.

Reactions: Bowie50
Is it better to have a high seed or a high seat? Maybe a high chair? Merica!

Upper Bracket
Upper Upper

#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

Lower Upper
#20 Conant at #13 Loyola

Upper Upper has Minooka and then a group of teams that would be big underdogs against Warren, Loyola, Glenbard, Hinsdale and Brother Rice from the Lower part of the Upper bracket. Huntley has some impressive wins but tend to bounce early from the playoffs. This does not appear to be one of the strongest Edwardsville teams. Bartlett doesn’t have a history of playoff success.

Upper Bracket
Upper Upper

#24 Curie at #9 Bartlett

Lower Upper
#20 Conant at #13 Loyola

Upper Upper has Minooka and then a group of teams that would be big underdogs against Warren, Loyola, Glenbard, Hinsdale and Brother Rice from the Lower part of the Upper bracket. Huntley has some impressive wins but tend to bounce early from the playoffs. This does not appear to be one of the strongest Edwardsville teams. Bartlett doesn’t have a history of playoff success.

Completely agree.

Lower upper is a complete blood bath from round 2 on. 4-5 teams with legit semi finals talent on their rosters.

As a rice fan I’d love to face mighty Bartlett instead of central, GW, Loyola or Warren.

Glad their is another week to play.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I remember a certain group of fans banging their drums so loudly when they started winning that this site gave them a nickname. I forgot whose fans those were. Do you remember what fan base that was?
Oooh I know this one! Who is St Rita Alex.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Oooh I know this one! Who is St Rita Alex.
No St. Rita has had extraordinarily sustained success for the past 60 years. The team I’m thinking of has had a good decade or so and they wanted to make sure everyone knew it. Darn it! It’s on the tip of my tongue, something ‘posse. I’ll think of it.

Reactions: Gene K.
You’re really banging this Bartlett drum hard aren’t you?
Not really. Just happy they have a shot to compete in playoffs. They may lose first round. They may win a game.. will see. No
Completely agree.

Lower upper is a complete blood bath from round 2 on. 4-5 teams with legit semi finals talent on their rosters.

As a rice fan I’d love to face mighty Bartlett instead of central, GW, Loyola or Warren.

Glad their is another week to play.
I agree with that. The lower upper bracket is crazy. Hence is why I said I like this bracket setup..I'm realistic.

Reactions: Queen4
How did St Laurence get knocked out at 4-4 with a shit ton of playoff points?

Laurence is in. Marian is out. Mascoutah was in the wrong slot. I've edited and adjusted my big board.

I guess I made mistakes copying my list into the brackets. Mascoutah is south of St. Louis. I accidentally slotted them north, and didn't notice even after discussing that quad in greater detail.

Guess which bracket I was on when it was time to help unload the groceries...

@bhawks that Rivelli kid is solid, what else you got out there? Not questioning whether you do, just curious...

Not really. Just happy they have a shot to compete in playoffs. They may lose first round. They may win a game.. will see. No

I agree with that. The lower upper bracket is crazy. Hence is why I said I like this bracket setup..I'm realistic.
I see, I may have misunderstood you, or you misunderstood bruce? Either way we seem to agree. Good luck, I’m being real when I say it’d be great to see another team emerge and their fanbase proudly represented here.

Reactions: Gene K.
If I may ask, what logic do you use to decide what schools are North and South? Obviously most of them are clearly separated but I’m curious how you decide on the ones that are close since I know it’s not necessarily the northernmost 16 vs the southernmost 16 since its really the northeastern most 16 in the north

I go north and south as much as possible. If a Rock Island or Moline is looming, it depends on the rest of the bracket. I'll slot a quad cities team in the north if it means leaving two SICA teams together in the south. Or, I'll send the quad cities school south if they are the lone outlier, rather than sending just one TF or Hillcrest or Tinley that way all by themselves.

I used a nice site called MLTPLTTR (multi-plotter) that would allow me plot 2 close schools if I truly had to make a decision. I could plot all 32 schools for 1A and 2A. But those people want a subscription fee this year.... Nope! I've been doing this for 4 or 5 weeks over the course of 10+ seasons, and there haven't been many difficult decisions. I could count them on two hands.

I do remember one year in which the 7A Outlook was difficult every week of the season. They had something like 12 teams obviously north, 12 teams obviously south, and then 8 schools in the middle that ran very close to I-88. It was GW, SCN, Fenwick, Willowbrook, Iggy, WWS, WY, etc. One week, a low seeded Fenwick might be going to Rockford, and then the next week I had them going to Belleville. I switched it up every week. And the people went nuts every week. And none of it mattered, because this is mostly a useless exercise anyway.

One of the last years of north/south in 8A and 7A (2015), the IHSA shuffled things big time... sending H-F, Sandburg, and O'Fallon north, and Huntley, Barrington, ND, and Warren south. After that, I knew 1 to 32 was coming, and I stopped worrying about getting my bracket "perfect" each week.

These days, I hardly ever need to refer to the map unless I'm doing 2A and 1A. If only I could remember where Chillicothe is.

I see, I may have misunderstood you, or you misunderstood bruce? Either way we seem to agree. Good luck, I’m being real when I say it’d be great to see another team emerge and their fanbase proudly represented here.
Appreciate that. Thanks.
@bhawks that Rivelli kid is solid, what else you got out there? Not questioning whether you do, just curious...
Rivelli is really fast and quick we have 18 juniors/sophomores that start. So this is a great experience. Team is Tall / Long very athletic. But at the end of the day it comes down to line play. That is what I'm curious about .. how Bartlett can match up in the trenches.

Appreciate that. Thanks.

Rivelli is really fast and quick we have 18 juniors/sophomores that start. So this is a great experience. Team is Tall / Long very athletic. But at the end of the day it comes down to line play. That is what I'm curious about .. how Bartlett can match up in the trenches.

That’s huge actually, win or lose the hope is that they can get to a big time playoff atmosphere against a big time program that could be a big catalyst for next year and beyond.

That’s huge actually, win or lose the hope is that they can get to a big time playoff atmosphere against a big time program that could be a big catalyst for next year and beyond.
Totally agree. As long as it's not LWE LA or Warren GBW. Lol. Speaking of that what is the atmosphere at LWE and LA. Do they get a lot of fans? What school gets the most fans at games?

Fun with numbers....
With the 8-game regular season and 384 playoff teams proposed for. 2021....well we have played 8 weeks.
There are 141 teams currently eligible for playoffs (some CPL teams are not) that have 0-8, 1-7 or 2-6 records.
384 teams will be in playoffs.
384 plus 141 is 525 teams which means if there are fewer than 525 teams playing. Football in 2021 and the won/loss results are identical to this year that a 2-6 team will be playoff bound!
As a general thought it would appear that in any given year that pretty much every 3-5 team will be in the postseason.
Don’t know how people feel about. 3 wins but just for one example since conferences are staying the same in the north suburban conference there are the same 3 bottom feeders virtually every yeAr so the other 5 teams are playoff locks. It also means that one of the three bottom feeders can now make the playoffs by winning its two games vs the other two struggling programs plus playing a sure-win non league game so teams that now have zero chance of reaching the postseason will in this league at least will have a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT