ADVERTISEMENT

If the District system was in place for 2019...Your 5A Playoff Teams?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
If the District system was in place for 2019...Who would be your 5A Playoff Teams?

Using our guy Steve Soucie District projections using 5A....who would be your 4 IHSA state qualifier teams from each District? Which teams have an easier path? Which teams would get "left out" despite being a pretty strong team because of it's loaded district?

CLASS 5A (65 teams, 8 Districts)

District 1 (8 teams): Arlington Heights (St. Viator), Burlington (Central), Freeport, Rochelle, Rockford (Boylan), Sterling, Woodstock, Woodstock (North).

District 2 (8): Aurora (Marmion), Chicago (Amundsen), Chicago (Foreman), Elmwood Park, Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South), Lombard (Montini), Norridge (Ridgewood), Oak Park (Fenwick).

District 3 (8): Burbank (St. Laurence), Chicago (Back of the Yards), Chicago (De La Salle), Chicago (Goode), Chicago (Lindblom), Chicago (Payton), Chicago (Solorio Academy), Chicago (Westinghouse).

District 4 (8): Chicago (Brooks), Chicago (Hyde Park), Chicago (St. Rita), Chicago (Vocational), Country Club Hills (Hillcrest), Dolton (Thornridge), Evergreen Park, Tinley Park.

District 5 (8): Chicago Heights (Marian Catholic), Joliet Catholic, LaSalle-Peru, Morris, Olympia Fields (Rich Central), Park Forest (Rich East), Richton Park (Rich South), Streator.

District 6 (8): Bartonville (Limestone), East Peoria, Geneseo, Mahomet-Seymour, Metamora, Morton, Peoria (Notre Dame), Urbana.

District 7 (8): Charleston, Decatur (Eisenhower), Decatur (MacArthur), Jacksonville, Jerseyville (Jersey), Lincoln, Mattoon, Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin).

District 8 (9): Cahokia, Carbondale, Centralia, Highland, Marion, Mascoutah, Mount Vernon, Troy (Triad), Waterloo.

With Montini, JCA and ESL in 5A, you are predicting an underdog to win 5A. If ESL is in 7A for the 2019 season, then it's a pick'em with Rita-JCA-Montini.
I think from everything I've read on here that ESL will be a 5A/6A bubble team and I think the favorite in either one of those classes. I think 7A is a Definitely Not for ESL in 2019.

Followed by St. Rita / Montini, both should be good.

Followed by JCA, JCA will be quite young in 2019, so they're kind of an unknown.

My picks for 5A

If the District system was in place for 2019...Who would be your 5A Playoff Teams?

CLASS 5A (65 teams, 8 Districts)

District 1 (8 teams): Burlington (Central), Rochelle, Rockford (Boylan), Sterling

District 2 (8): Aurora (Marmion), Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South), Lombard (Montini), Oak Park (Fenwick).

District 3 (8): Burbank (St. Laurence), Chicago (De La Salle), Chicago (Payton), Chicago (Solorio Academy).

District 4 (8): Chicago (Brooks), Chicago (St. Rita), Country Club Hills (Hillcrest), Evergreen Park.

District 5 (8): Joliet Catholic, LaSalle-Peru, Morris, Park Forest (Rich East).

District 6 (8): Geneseo, Metamora, Morton, Peoria (Notre Dame)

District 7 (8): Charleston, Jacksonville, Jerseyville (Jersey), Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin).

District 8 (9): Highland, Marion, Mascoutah, Troy (Triad)

JCA reloaddd this offseason on the transfer market. There’ll be some new faces but equally as talented.
I hope you're going to tell me JJ's family moved to the Joliet area and JJ is transferring to JCA. ;) (j/k)

I hope you're going to tell me JJ's family moved to the Joliet area and JJ is transferring to JCA. ;) (j/k)
Might we even throw the ball around the lot? Or at least 12 times a game?

In all seriousness, I am curious who may be transferring in. Without a few impact transfers, this team is going to win 4, 5, or at the most 6 regular season games.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Might we even throw the ball around the lot? Or at least 12 times a game?

In all seriousness, I am curious who may be transferring in. Without a few impact transfers, this team is going to win 4, 5, or at the most 6 regular season games.
I haven’t looked at the schedule but I don’t agree. I’m certain they are a playoff team and well...

No a couple legitimate moves tho. Nice WR transfer from DGS (don’t ask me why a WR would transfer to JCA) and a LB from Indiana are already done.
What do you mean? We have fairly recently had a TE / WR (Coby Fleener) go on to play on Sundays and he's had nice career with the Colts / Saints.

He was still fresh when he got to Stanford, almost like he had never been used. :)

I haven’t looked at the schedule but I don’t agree. I’m certain they are a playoff team and well...
If they get 5 wins look out. And they could and maybe even should. But they have rita, IC, Laurence, and rice on the schedule so not much room for error. And they had like 8 or 10 juniors on the roster last year. Not a recipe for a good follow up season.

There is talent in the younger ranks though. So we will see.

If they get 5 wins look out. And they could and maybe even should. But they have rita, IC, Laurence, and rice on the schedule so not much room for error. And they had like 8 or 10 juniors on the roster last year. Not a recipe for a good follow up season.

There is talent in the younger ranks though. So we will see.
I would say Iggy, Carmel, DePaul Prep and Marmion will be wins. Need to find one more win against Rice, Rita, Stl, Fenwick and IC. My way early prediction is they go 6-3

I would say Iggy, Carmel, DePaul Prep and Marmion will be wins. Need to find one more win against Rice, Rita, Stl, Fenwick and IC. My way early prediction is they go 6-3
Yea I break the games into three groups......

Clear underdogs in 3 games. A win would be a steal......rita, IC, rice.

3 games we have to win. Give one of these away and we're fighting an uphill battle to 5 wins......DePaul, carmel, marmion

3 that we need to win but could lose.....fenwick,Laurence, ignatius

Marmion could switch places with Ignatius because I dont know what each has returning. Transfer market could throw all these ideas out the door.

3 games we have to win. Give one of these away and we're fighting an uphill battle to 5 wins......DePaul, carmel, marmion

Marmion could switch places with Ignatius because I dont know what each has returning. Transfer market could throw all these ideas out the door.

JCA beats Fenwick handily. Ignatius too.

Did IC reload? Or were they Junior heavy last year?

I don't know if I trust your JCA predictions, per below.
That’s fine, I couldn’t care less about your opinion or your thoughts on mine. I’ll add my thoughts where I see fit. I saw JCA get absolutely manhandled by Naz and IC and either Naz and IC were that much better than the 5a runners up or Montini crapped the bed. I happen to think it’s a combination of both. You’re a JCA fan you should take that as a huge win that people thought you’d get blown out and you won but instead you’re still hounding me about it. To each his own I suppose. Shame on me for trying to give JCA some credit ITT.

That’s fine, I couldn’t care less about your opinion or your thoughts on mine. I’ll add my thoughts where I see fit. I saw JCA get absolutely manhandled by Naz and IC and either Naz and IC were that much better than the 5a runners up or Montini crapped the bed. I happen to think it’s a combination of both. You’re a JCA fan you should take that as a huge win that people thought you’d get blown out and you won but instead you’re still hounding me about it. To each his own I suppose. Shame on me for trying to give JCA some credit ITT.
I see.

No a couple legitimate moves tho. Nice WR transfer from DGS (don’t ask me why a WR would transfer to JCA) and a LB from Indiana are already done.

Somebody should have pointed that kid north-northeast about 6 miles.

JCA's new head coach "Jaws" was one of the best and most exciting defensive backs / special team player to ever play at JCA. I think that was directly reflected in JCA's defense last year where the defensive backfield was considered the strength of the defense.

I think he is definitely planning on making the passing game a viable part of JCA's offense as well. Maybe not 2019, but soon.

Not only that, but apparently no one is considering the high probability that the kid's family moved.
Lol I know them, no one is saying JCA did anything wrong so get off your soapbox. It’s a stupid fit for a WR, that’s all.

Lol I know them, no one is saying JCA did anything wrong so get off your soapbox. It’s a stupid fit for a WR, that’s all.
Not suggesting that you or anyone else was suggesting anything improper.

I'll throw you a bone here. I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of it. But, I'll post it anyway. JCA has a frosh QB, who I suspect has a great chance to be a 3-year starter. He only played 1.5 games on the freshmen team (broken arm), but he has talent. I saw him Week 1 against Rita and was very impressed. He's not the biggest kid, but has very good mobility and has a nice arm. He's a playmaker, which is something JCA normally does not have at the position.

This year's varsity played to their strengths. They had a big, veteran O-line and two good RB's (even without Kenyetta Williams). The seniors were also steeped in a run first, second and third offense. I suspect (insert laugh here if you so chose) that they will not be the strictly grind-it-out team that they've been, especially once the QB gets some varsity experience. Both of their lower levels ran a more diverse offense. In addition to the QB, they have more DB/WR talent in the program than they have had. We shall see how that translates at the varsity level going forward.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Not suggesting that you or anyone else was suggesting anything improper.

I'll throw you a bone here. I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of it. But, I'll post it anyway. JCA has a frosh QB, who I suspect has a great chance to be a 3-year starter. He only played 1.5 games on the freshmen team (broken arm), but he has talent. I saw him Week 1 against Rita and was very impressed. He's not the biggest kid, but has very good mobility and has a nice arm. He's a playmaker, which is something JCA normally does not have at the position.

This year's varsity played to their strengths. They had a big, veteran O-line and two good RB's (even without Kenyetta Williams). The seniors were also steeped in a run first, second and third offense. I suspect (insert laugh here if you so chose) that they will not be the strictly grind-it-out team that they've been, especially once the QB gets some varsity experience. Both of their lower levels ran a more diverse offense. In addition to the QB, they have more DB/WR talent in the program than they have had. We shall see how that translates at the varsity level going forward.
Going the same route as CoM ?

I hesitate to resurrect this thread, but based on what I see in his Hudl highlights, looks like he mainly played RB at DGS. He may project more as a WR due to his height (I'm guessing about 6'2), but he could end up at RB next year.

In District 4, one would have to like the chances of Hillcrest qualifying as a high seed annually.

Reactions: Gene K.
JCA reloaddd this offseason on the transfer market. There’ll be some new faces but equally as talented.
It's true that we did get some new talent, but I still think this is young squad entering next season.

I think bronco is gonna want to Maine south us, too

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT