ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 9

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Here we are last week of the season. Pretty easy to predict. Not much drama left unless we are banking on 4-5 teams getting into the playoffs (which ICE teams wouldn't based on playoff points).

Lisle (1-7) @ Reed-Custer (3-5) - What I initially believed to be a huge playoff implication game, is now irrelevant. Both teams playing for pride here. I don't think RC is good, but they are better than awful, which is what Lisle is. RC 35 - Lisle 21

Coal City (6-2) @ Manteno (4-4) - Default GOTW, but it won't be close. Wilmo trounced the 'Teno, and I expect CC to do the same. I guess the panthers might be motivated to get a playoff chance of they win, but it won't be enough. Loughran's boys know they need this win to get a slightly better seed in the playoffs. CC 28 - Manteno 7

Peotone (5-3) @ Herscher (2-6) - Peotone needs this one as well. Thankfully Herscher won't give them much of a challenge. Peotone secures a berth this week, but it's drama free and an easy win. Tone 35 - Herscher 14

Wilmington (7-1) @ Streator (2-6) - No contest here. Just a tune up for the Cats before playoffs. Wilmo 49 - Streator 12

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Thank God it's the final week in the sorry ICE. Very, very disappointing season. Looking forward to the Cats playoff run, but keeping in mind they haven't been in a fight since week one 🤔

RC handles Lisle
CC destroys Manteno
Peotone thumps Herscher
Wilmington clocks Streator

Thank God it's the final week in the sorry ICE. Very, very disappointing season. Looking forward to the Cats playoff run, but keeping in mind they haven't been in a fight since week one 🤔

RC handles Lisle
CC destroys Manteno
Peotone thumps Herscher
Wilmington clocks Streator
I agree this is one of the worst years I can remember for the conference. Wilmo is good. Hard to even say how good since they have had no real challenge in conference play this year. After them though it's pretty sad.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Playoff teams from the ICE:
2023 - 3 (assuming 'Tone is in, which they should be)
2022 - 5
2021 - 5
2019 - 5

I-8 large and small division combined (numbers obviously skewed due to having 12 teams, but still relevant I feel)
2018 - 5
2017 - 6
2016 - 5
2015 - 6
2014 - 5
2013 - 7
2012 - 6
2011 - 5
2010 - 4
2009 - 6
2008 - 7
2007 - 5
2006 - 6

Old one division I-8
2005 - 5
2004 - 4
2003 - 4
2002 - 5
2001 - 4
2000 - 2

2003-2007 were the best years as far as total conference strength in my opinion.

Last couple years were top heavy but pretty darn good also as you had Wilmo and R-C that were among the best teams in both 2A and 3A, even though the bottom of the conference wasn’t good. Conference is always top heavy though and that’s pretty typical for leagues that have more than 4-5 teams.
ICE did poorly this year in non conference and for sure seems a little down.
CC seems a little off. Lisle is usually ok, but had numbers and injury issues and went in the tank. Peotone is just kinda meh. Maybe they will win a game if they get a good draw.
I truly think that if R-C hadn’t lost their QB/DB, they wouId have made the playoffs.
If Wilmo goes 2A though, they look like they have a nice opportunity to go far. 3A obviously much tougher with teams like Byron out there, not to mention Montini, who will be a low seed that will probably do damage. Maybe Montini and Byron will play first round…

Last edited:
For picks:
Wilmo over Streator easy. Streator might hit a big play or two but won’t slow down the run game.
Peotone over Herscher. Peotone has had some weird games and this one could potentially be close.
R-C over Lisle. Lisle is in shambles.
CC over Manteno. Should be similar to Wilmo/Streator. Manteno might hit them with a big play or two but will eventually get worn out.

Wilmo over Streator

CC over Manteno

RC over Lisle

Peotone over Herscher- someone above made the comment about Peotone having odd scores and I agree. Not to be a homer but all the injuries they’ve had and the incident earlier in the year losing a player, i’m kind of shocked they are where they are. They have so many kids playing out of position and 2 freshman starting for them. Props to them for somehow figuring it out. Hopefully they can finish it Friday and get a good draw.

I think Wilmo makes a deep run and CC is a 2nd, maybe quarterfinal team w the right draw.

Lisle (1-7) @ Braidwood (3-5) - Both teams are out. Lisle seems to be be spiraling and Braidwoods lost to Manteno sealed their fate. Braidwood grabs this one Comets 34 Lions 20

Peotone (5-3) @ Herscher (2-6) - The Tigers got run of the turf by CC last week and Tone blanked Lisle after escaping Streator. Tone is in, interesting to see what kind of draw they get. Blue Devils 41 Tigers 13

Wilmington (7-1) @ Streator (2-6) - Cats keep rolling and Streator is rolling out the basketballs. Reentsville will have triple the fans at there then Streator. To my Wilmo buddies, head to Broadway Pub across form the tennis courts for a few cold ones and a good meal in the second half. Place is a hidden gem. Rolling clock in the second half. Cats 52 Bulldogs 13

Coal City (6-2) @ Manteno (4-4) - Manteno seems to be turning the corner and I hear they have some talented classes coming up in the next few years. CC bounced back after their horrible performance against Wilmo. CC wins but Manteno makes it interesting. Coalers 38 Panthers 16

Looks like Wilmo, CC and Tone in to the postseason.

Tone has a chance to get a win with the right draw in 3A. After that I am not sure.

Coalers are looking like they will go South which might make an interesting draw. At 7-2 they will most likely get a home playoff game. After that its a crap shoot.

WIlmo is in 3A as of now. I do not think they will make much noise in 3A. Maybe, maybe a QF appearance. They really need to drop to 2A to make any kind of run.

Overall the conference is down, but it has been down since the ICE is created. Seems to be the norm these days unfortunately

Looking at the current outlook, I see 5, 4-4 teams in the projected 1/2A classes that seem like will be losing this week. Does that mean Wilmington could potentially get bumped back down to 2a?

Looking at the current outlook, I see 5, 4-4 teams in the projected 1/2A classes that seem like will be losing this week. Does that mean Wilmington could potentially get bumped back down to 2a?
Way too many variables still. Wilmington is almost certainly gonna be one of the couple largest 2A or couple smallest 3A…. Just like it’s been the last couple years.

Basically if you are rooting for Wilmo to go 2A, you want the 4-4 teams with lower enrollment than Wilmo to lose. And the larger ones to win.

You can’t just look at 1A/2A on ihsa.org because the entire field of 256 is set first, then they are divided into classes. What’s currently shown on ihsa.org includes teams that have no chance to make it.
Also - If an “upset” happens in, say, 6A or 7A, it will cascade down and affect all the bubble teams like Morris and Wilmo.
What’s currently shown on ihsa.org is probably not as accurate as the projections that folks (like Soucie) come up with (but those involve game predictions so they aren’t perfect either)

Last edited:
@Wilmatucky
This weekend you should be rooting for the following teams:
Hillsboro, Colfax (Ridgeview), West Frankfort, Central A&M, Toledo (Cumberland), Genoa-Kingston, Galena, and Noble/Hansberry

@Wilmatucky
This weekend you should be rooting for the following teams:
Hillsboro, Colfax (Ridgeview), West Frankfort, Central A&M, Toledo (Cumberland), Genoa-Kingston, Galena, and Noble/Hansberry
Why those teams specifically? To keep other teams below Wilmo out? Wouldn't we also want Wheaton academy, Morrison, Bismarck, Washington (MO), and Leroy to win as well?

Last edited:
Why those teams specifically? To keep other teams below Wilmo out? Wouldn't we also want Wheaton academy, Morrison, Bismarck, Washington (MO), and Leroy to win as well?
Yea, but most of the projections Ive seen already have these teams you mentioned winning.

The ones I previously listed are more like slight upsets or 50/50 games that are not necessarily included in people’s projections

Should be the easiest week of the season for predictions according to calpreps.

Coal City (IL) at Manteno (IL), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Coal City (IL) 40 (96%) Manteno (IL) 12 (4%)]
Peotone (IL) at Herscher (IL), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Peotone (IL) 35 (87%) Herscher (IL) 17 (13%)]
Reed-Custer (Braidwood, IL) at Lisle (IL), 7:00pm
[projection and percent chances to win: Reed-Custer (Braidwood, IL) 41 (94%) Lisle (IL) 17 (6%)]
Wilmington (IL) at Streator (IL), 7:00pm
[projection and percent chances to win: Wilmington (IL) 52 (>99%) Streator (IL) 7 (<1%)]

Wilmington @ Streator - polar opposites, run vs. pass, football school vs. basketball school. Streator got a great victory last week but they get rewarded with Wilmington coming into town. Wilmington is looking to be a formidable force in the 3A bracket and if they drop to 2A watch out. Wilmington 49 Streator 12

Reed-Custer @ Lisle - in week of pretty obvious wins, this game is actually the only one with no meaning. Neither team is making the playoffs and every team in the conference will get 1 point to improve seeding from this game. Both teams underperformed expectations but both teams have young coaches and the programs will improve next season. RC 36 Lisle 22

Peotone @ Herscher - this is a game of teams on opposite side of the spectrum. Peotone is playing in hopes of getting a home playoff game (unlikely due to low points) but anything helps. Herscher is playing for pride and experience. I hear there was a bit of a scuffle in the Regional Final tonight for soccer between these two teams so maybe that carries over into the game tomorrow. Peotone 46 Herscher 25

Coal City @ Manteno - the Coalers are playing for a seed and the Panthers are playing to get into the playoffs. Coal City has beaten the teams they were supposed to beat but have got pounded by teams who were better than them. Manteno has shown glimpses of being a playoff team but can't seem to put a whole game together. It would be great for the ICE to get a 4th playoff team so I am going to go with that. Manteno 28 Coal City 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT