ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 6

Ideally the conference is just good which will provide the necessary preparation. Some years it’s been really strong. Other years not as much.

I don’t think Reed-Custer will clock Coal City on the road, but they will certainly clock Streator and Herscher. Coal City has been steadily getting better.

IMO people put too much into weeks 1/2 opponents. You don’t need to play killers to get yourself ready. You can but you don’t need to. Again IMO. As a school district and coaching staff you have to know what helps “YOUR” team. Every program is different. Fun to debate for sure. Sometimes testing yourself against tough competition can produce injuries and have lasting effects on your season. Sometimes it can help you to be battle tested and might help you to win a game later on. Nothing is definite
I agree 100%. Scheduling tough opponents week 1 and 2 can help but many teams look completely different by week 9 and 10. You need to do what is best for your program. Being battle tested early in the season is great but sometimes it can really hurt your team but kudos to those who are willing.

As for RC, if they knew they were going to be this good, they should have scheduled tougher opponents but there are so many variables in play that it can be difficult to schedule a high level caliber opponent for just one season.

From the outside, the ICE looks to be having a down year. Three teams (RC, Wilmo, and Coal City) look to be heads and tails above the rest of the conference. Peotone and Lisle look to be right there and Peotone vs. Coal City might be the biggest game of the season for both teams. Other than this game, it looks like the rest of the conference matchups have a clear favorite. However, I can see the ICE ending up with 4 playoff teams, and 3 getting past the 1st round (depending on matchups) and 2 getting to at least the quarters.

Many look at the Illini Prairie as a comparative conference but from what I have seen, with the exception of Prairie Central, I do not see a comparative Illini Prairie team beating an ICE team. PBL and Monticello are just ok, Bloomington Central Catholic is improving, but Tolono and PC are so much better than everyone else. The rest of the conference is terrible.

One last thing on schedule…
This particular version of RC got their big game experience last year. They returned almost everyone from last year. I think it’s something like 18 starting positions return from a quarterfinal team. If they eventually get knocked off by IC or Princeton or something, it won’t be because they’ve never been in a tight game.

I agree 100%. Scheduling tough opponents week 1 and 2 can help but many teams look completely different by week 9 and 10. You need to do what is best for your program. Being battle tested early in the season is great but sometimes it can really hurt your team but kudos to those who are willing.

As for RC, if they knew they were going to be this good, they should have scheduled tougher opponents but there are so many variables in play that it can be difficult to schedule a high level caliber opponent for just one season.

From the outside, the ICE looks to be having a down year. Three teams (RC, Wilmo, and Coal City) look to be heads and tails above the rest of the conference. Peotone and Lisle look to be right there and Peotone vs. Coal City might be the biggest game of the season for both teams. Other than this game, it looks like the rest of the conference matchups have a clear favorite. However, I can see the ICE ending up with 4 playoff teams, and 3 getting past the 1st round (depending on matchups) and 2 getting to at least the quarters.

Many look at the Illini Prairie as a comparative conference but from what I have seen, with the exception of Prairie Central, I do not see a comparative Illini Prairie team beating an ICE team. PBL and Monticello are just ok, Bloomington Central Catholic is improving, but Tolono and PC are so much better than everyone else. The rest of the conference is terrible.
If you line the ICE vs the Illini Prairie 1v1, 2v2, etc.. I’d like the ICE’s chances in that hypothetical scenario

Reactions: isubluedevil
As it stands now..

Reed-Custer vs. Prairie Central
Wilmington vs. Tolono Unity
Coal City vs. Paxton
Peotone vs. Bloomington Central Catholic
Lisle vs. Monticello
Streator vs. St. Joe-Ogden
Manteno vs. Pontiac
Herscher vs. IVC or Rantoul

Reed-Custer, Wilmington, and Coal City are clear cut winners. Peotone and BCC is a push, Monticello, SJO, and Pontiac probably win, Herscher probably wins vsm IVC or Rantoul, they are both equally terrible.

Top of the ICE is better than the top of the IPC but the middle and bottom are very equal. Would be fun to see a crossover agreement.

Braidwood was dominate Friday for sure and they are in line for a school best playoff run. I think if things line up in the brackets they could be playing Thanksgiving weekend.

But here is my other argument. How good is the ICE this year? Let's get real, this is not a great Wilmo team. CC and Peotone are good but no where near a state contender. If Wilmo goes 2A they can win some games. If they are 3A then they are in trouble. If CC goes South then they could get a good matchup and grab a win but if they go North then see the above comment about Wilmo in 3A. Peotone is squarely in the North and needs to beat CC to go 7-2 and get a good matchup at home possibly. But in any real scenario this conference will get 4 teams in and most likely only Braidwood that can make some noise. Braidwood has not been pushed this year. This why I think they needed one non conference opponent that is good to give them that.

This is the year if the Comet and they are enjoying this unbelievable Senior class. It is truly a once in a lifetime class for them. With the end of the regular season right around the corner we will see things shake out in a better light and I hope all the ICE schools get a gift from the football gods and get favorable playoff matchups

Braidwood was dominate Friday for sure and they are in line for a school best playoff run. I think if things line up in the brackets they could be playing Thanksgiving weekend.

But here is my other argument. How good is the ICE this year? Let's get real, this is not a great Wilmo team. CC and Peotone are good but no where near a state contender. If Wilmo goes 2A they can win some games. If they are 3A then they are in trouble. If CC goes South then they could get a good matchup and grab a win but if they go North then see the above comment about Wilmo in 3A. Peotone is squarely in the North and needs to beat CC to go 7-2 and get a good matchup at home possibly. But in any real scenario this conference will get 4 teams in and most likely only Braidwood that can make some noise. Braidwood has not been pushed this year. This why I think they needed one non conference opponent that is good to give them that.

This is the year if the Comet and they are enjoying this unbelievable Senior class. It is truly a once in a lifetime class for them. With the end of the regular season right around the corner we will see things shake out in a better light and I hope all the ICE schools get a gift from the football gods and get favorable playoff matchups
Other argument? So basically you're saying ..... The Comets have a once in a LIFETIME senior class (that's a pretty long time, Coaler) and the ICE is down this year, especially Wilmington, so RC isn't as good as people think they are? Why do you feel the need to throw shade on the season they're having? I'm no Braidwood fan, but I admire what they're doing after years and years and years of frustration. They've been destroyed by the Wilmington's CC's and Peotone's , etc. too many times to count. I hope they can keep this thing rolling! It's fun to watch and the town deserves it 🏅🏆🏅

They've been destroyed by the Wilmington's CC's and Peotone's , etc. too many times to count.
You act like Peotone is an elite program lol

Both programs have won a grand total of 4 playoff games in school history

Last edited:
Who said anything about elite? You don't have to be "elite" to destroy other teams.
Maybe just the way the phrase " destroyed by the Wilmington's CC's and Peotone's" sounded, like they were all super heroes lol.. and you did throw them in with 2 really quality small school programs

Other argument? So basically you're saying ..... The Comets have a once in a LIFETIME senior class (that's a pretty long time, Coaler) and the ICE is down this year, especially Wilmington, so RC isn't as good as people think they are? Why do you feel the need to throw shade on the season they're having? I'm no Braidwood fan, but I admire what they're doing after years and years and years of frustration. They've been destroyed by the Wilmington's CC's and Peotone's , etc. too many times to count. I hope they can keep this thing rolling! It's fun to watch and the town deserves it 🏅🏆🏅
I am not throwing shade, I said they have a good chance to be playing in the title game., This is a once in a lifetime Senior Class for them. They have not had a group of kids with more talent as these kids. You think this is a good year for the teams in the ICE? I think it is a very average year this season. My only kind of criticism was the fact their non conference games were cupcakes. I think every very good team needs one game that at least pushes them in a game. But hey what do I know.

Peotone has only made the playoffs 3 out of the last 6 seasons. They are not in the same conversation as Wilmington and Coal City. Honestly they are the only 2 teams in this conversation. Manteno had a nice run a few years back. Lisle is usually competitive. Herscher had a nice couple of years in a row also. I am as big a fan of Peotone as anyone but we are not anywhere near those other 2 towns.

Maybe just the way the phrase " destroyed by the Wilmington's CC's and Peotone's" sounded, like they were all super heroes lol.. and you did throw them in with 2 really quality small school programs
I am not throwing shade, I said they have a good chance to be playing in the title game., This is a once in a lifetime Senior Class for them. They have not had a group of kids with more talent as these kids. You think this is a good year for the teams in the ICE? I think it is a very average year this season. My only kind of criticism was the fact their non conference games were cupcakes. I think every very good team needs one game that at least pushes them in a game. But hey what do I know.
I have never heard someone ask a past champion, "who were your non-conference games?" lol. Nobody cares! Who were Ken Miller's non-conf opponents in 1993? Who cares! He won State!

As far as the state of the conference…

I’m not sure what to think about this year’s Wilmo. Last year they kinda were similar, just grinding out wins. No lopsided scores until towards the end of the year and in the playoffs. Wilmo front line can probably get a good enough push to make their offense effective against the majority of 2A schools and probably a decent amount of 3A, but it doesn’t appear they will have to worry about 3A.
CC is a bit down, but seems to be getting better.
Peotone and Lisle are just kinda bout the same as any other year. Good year is getting to the 2nd round. Herscher and Manteno being way down has hurt the middle tier. Streator is Streator.
Maybe I’m going off the deep end, but RC’s team looks like one of the best this conference has ever seen. Time will tell. The conference has had good playoff runs in years past when it’s been top heavy.

Peotone has only made the playoffs 3 out of the last 6 seasons. They are not in the same conversation as Wilmington and Coal City. Honestly they are the only 2 teams in this conversation. Manteno had a nice run a few years back. Lisle is usually competitive. Herscher had a nice couple of years in a row also. I am as big a fan of Peotone as anyone but we are not anywhere near those other 2 towns.
They’ve made it 3 out of last 4 years. 17,19, 20 was the covid bs year and then again in 21. Also think they’re in this year. I think they do a pretty good job all things considered. My son played for them and people everywhere joke about how awful the teams are in jfl and their lower levels but somehow they find ways to make the state playoffs. I agree with you, they aren’t on wilmo/cc level but let’s not roast them over that. It’s a good solid program but that’s about it.

They’ve made it 3 out of last 4 years. 17,19, 20 was the covid bs year and then again in 21. Also think they’re in this year. I think they do a pretty good job all things considered. My son played for them and people everywhere joke about how awful the teams are in jfl and their lower levels but somehow they find ways to make the state playoffs. I agree with you, they aren’t on wilmo/cc level but let’s not roast them over that. It’s a good solid program but that’s about it.
I agree, I think Coach Tolly gets the most out of his kids over there

Playoff wins by school... bottom half of conference weak as heck

Wilmington 43
Coal City 37
Herscher 22
Lisle 11
Manteno 5
Reed- Custer 4
Peotone 4
Streator 1

Reactions: Coalertown44
Too busy and tired to argue OOC game theories. Maybe next year........RC is a generational team this year. I don't think C-town was being insulting saying that the ICE is down and throwing shade. While I don't think it is a horrible conference it has been stronger......Its all relative, meaning.........if RC was of their traditional strength (bottom of barrel), each of the mid tier teams would all have one more win this year. Not an insult that's how it was in the past. Maybe this year RC woulda had 3 wins in conference and barely make playoffs with their OOC schedule. Who knows. Who cares?

My point is in a conference you have your ups and downs every year. That's the way it is. Wilmo and CC have been the top for years. Your middle tiers all change. This year RC is the top and what happens next year? I bet if you looked at most other conferences you would have a similar pecking order.

I have never heard someone ask a past champion, "who were your non-conference games?" lol. Nobody cares! Who were Ken Miller's non-conf opponents in 1993? Who cares! He won State!
Week 1 Lemont and week 2 Carlinville their eventual opponent for the championship.

Reactions: Coalertown44
Too busy and tired to argue OOC game theories. Maybe next year........RC is a generational team this year. I don't think C-town was being insulting saying that the ICE is down and throwing shade. While I don't think it is a horrible conference it has been stronger......Its all relative, meaning.........if RC was of their traditional strength (bottom of barrel), each of the mid tier teams would all have one more win this year. Not an insult that's how it was in the past. Maybe this year RC woulda had 3 wins in conference and barely make playoffs with their OOC schedule. Who knows. Who cares?

My point is in a conference you have your ups and downs every year. That's the way it is. Wilmo and CC have been the top for years. Your middle tiers all change. This year RC is the top and what happens next year? I bet if you looked at most other conferences you would have a similar pecking order.

Of course the conference is down, Reed Custer is obviously WAY up from their normal... Wilmington is maybe close to average from what have been the last 10 years, maybe Peotone and Streator too.. but Coal City and Lisle are down and obviously Herscher and Manteno are WAY down

Kinda crazy to me that Wilmo and Coal City used to play Lemont in non conference. I remember going up there and getting beat pretty good. Cool setting on the hill for their field though.
That was a cool field. We also played Minooka non conference. And I’m old enough to of played Yorkville in high school

That was a cool field. We also played Minooka non conference. And I’m old enough to of played Yorkville in high school

When I was in high school Herscher played Lemont and Minooka in conference games, plus Plainfield HS in non-conference.. as we sit 3A now its weird to think about..

Yorkville, Kaneland, Providence, Oswego, Sycamore are some of the schools we played in the 90's.. probably not an Illinois school with a crazier conference history than the Tigers, same conference as both Sycamore and Rochester...

I think about 1991 we were like #3 in 3A, Providence was #1 in 4A.. we hit a FG early and the final score was around 51-3 lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Class 3A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. IC Catholic (11) (4-1) 128 1
2. Williamsville (1) (5-0) 108 2
3. Reed-Custer (1) (5-0) 97 3
4. Princeton (5-0) 96 4
5. Byron (4-1) 69 5
6. Mt. Carmel, Ill. (5-0) 65 6
7. Fairbury Prairie Central (5-0) 53 7
8. Eureka (5-0) 48 8
9. Seneca (5-0) 21 T10
10. Paxton-Buckley-Loda (5-0) 17 9

Do they even make the playoffs if still in the I-8????
After what I saw tonight, I think they go 6-3 in the ICE. RC would smoke them, but they’d give Wilmo and CC a good run.

Reactions: McEvergreen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT