ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 6

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Peotone (3-2) @ Streator (2-3) - Peotone took a tough one on the chin last week but we finally got the question of Streator's validity answered. Peotone bounces back and continues ahead in the drive for 7. Peotone 35-12

Manteno (1-4) @ Coal City (3-2) - Manteno finally got a win but unfortunately that fuzzy feeling won't happen again this week. CC with ease. 42-10

Lisle (2-3) @ Herscher (1-4) - Lisle needs to pick it up and this is game they need to win if they want any shot at the playoffs. After seeing their performance this year I have to admit I was a little high on them at start of year and I do not see them qualifying unless somehow 4 win teams start getting in. Interesting fact the game against Streator was the only game so far where both teams scored. Lisle has been shut out in every loss and one shut out win. Will this game be close with both teams scoring? I don't know but I do think the Lions beat up the Tigers. 21-14

Wilmington (5-0) @ Reed-Custer (5-0) - Forget GOTW........Forget Game of the year.........This is the game of the decade.....I think RC has 2 wins against Wilmo in the Reents era. Will this be number 3? If they don't get it this year they may not be in position for another one for a long time. The comets have been crushing their opposition. Wilmington is more of a grind it out team. How will the two styles play off each other? I do know that Wilmo will have to score to win. I have to take a @Coalertown44 mentality and never pick against my home team, but this one has me nervous. WHS 28-27

I got Reed-Custer at 2-26 all time vs Reents. If Reed-Custer plays to their potential, they win. Hell, they shoulda won last year, but decided they wanted style points instead of just winning.
If (big if) Wilmo can run their 4 yards and a cloud of turf while finishing off the drive with a TD three or four times, they can pull it off.
Should be fun. I hope it’s a clean game. I expect both teams to make nice playoff runs regardless of who wins Friday.
As for the other games, give me Coaltucky, the Tone, and Lisle.

Any word on the Jones kid from Herscher? Really tough deal for him as he had to get carted off last week from an apparent leg injury. I had heard he’s signed to continue his career at ISU.

Peotone 38 @ Streator 12 - Peotone rolls in and manhandles the dog pound on both sides of the ball. Streator never threatens, but tacks one on late to make it look a little better.

Manteno 7 @ CC 46 - The Coalers are way too physical and patiently improving for the showdown Week 8.

Lisle 27 @ Herscher 13 - I got the Lions being more physical up front and taking care of business on the road.

Wilmington 13 @ RC 37 - The Cats coaching staff is the best in conference. The Comets have all those weapons on both sides of the ball. Wilmington loves to hide the ball, move the chains and shorten the game, but they know RC is going to load the box. I say the Cats throw early to loosen things up, but that's not a good look for Wilmington. The Comets D will force the out of sync Wildcats to punt and then look out! Before you know it, RC goes up by a couple touchdowns and NOW Wilmington has to throw playing right into the Comets hands.

RC likes to play fast Wilmington wants to end the game fast. Really look for Wilmington to try and bleed the clock more than normal and shorten the game and limit the possessions for Reed Custer and the number of times their defense has to take the field.

Somewhat shocked that it is week 6 already. We will get a better look at how the playoffs are going to take shape after this week.

Lisle (2-3) @ Herscher (1-4) - Really shocked how Herscher gave Wilmo a run for their money last week. Lisle looked absolutely uninspired against CC last week and that game could of been worse than 31-0. Tigers play with some spunk here and pretty much end Lisles playoff hopes. Herscher 28 Lisle 21

Peotone (3-2) @ Streator (2-3) - Tone had a tough two week stretch and took one on the chin against Braidwood. Streator seems to be the Streator that we are all used to. The Blue Devils get back to what they are known for, pounding the rock and playing physical defense. Tone gets back on track Tone 35 Streator 14

Manteno (1-4) @ Coal City (3-2) - Manteno has had a heck of a schedule up to this point. Got a much needed win against Streator last week to give them a little momentum. CC has given me hopes after the debacle in Morris. O line has improved every week an the defense has got back to the physical style that CC fans are used to. Since the Morris game the defense has only given up 37 points in 4 games and scored 131. CC gets its last tune up win before two more tough games with Tone and Braidwood. CC 42 Manteno 13

Wilmington (5-0) @ Reed-Custer (5-0) - Game of the Year. Braidwood has rolled this year. Finally beat a good team in Tone last week and beat them soundly. Wilmo might of been looking past Herscher last week. Can't think of a more contrast of styles here. Braidwood is fast and athletic and Wilmo is a master of the ground and pound. Braidwood has the best athlete in the conference in McPherson (reminds me of a taller Gavin Zimbelman from Manteno years back) He is the key to the game. If Wilmo can bottle him up and contain him then they have a chance. Braidwood will need to find a way to slow down the fornt 7 of Wilmo. Reents has always done an excellent job of blitzing the spread offense. I think Reents will do to Braidwood what he did to the potent CC offense in 2019. They will snap the ball every play with 1 second left on the play clock. Biggest keys to the game is Braidwoods offensive line and Wilmos defensive backfield. If Wilmos DBs don't play better than they have this year then this could get ugly. I have said all year that Braidwood is the best team in the ICE this year and here is where they prove it. Braidwood 28 Wilmo 24

Reactions: rocketnation
@Coalertown44
Good point about Wilmo pass defense and Reents strategy against the spread. Obviously Wilmo gonna have to limit their big plays and possibly turn them over a time or two. It will be interesting to see how they play it.
Marengo had a nice offense with a really good dual threat QB and in the 2nd half Reents basically just tried to contain his running lanes and they were able to pull it off. With that said, RC is better than Marengo on both sides.

@Coalertown44
Good point about Wilmo pass defense and Reents strategy against the spread. Obviously Wilmo gonna have to limit their big plays and possibly turn them over a time or two. It will be interesting to see how they play it.
Marengo had a nice offense with a really good dual threat QB and in the 2nd half Reents basically just tried to contain his running lanes and they were able to pull it off. With that said, RC is better than Marengo on both sides.
I feel like DB play has always been Wilmos weak point defensively year in and year out for some reason. But Reents blitz schemes with his front 7 has always made up for their coverage skills. I think they would play a lot of zone blitz. That way they have help every where and can help keep McPherson in the pocket as much as that is possible.

I feel like DB play has always been Wilmos weak point defensively year in and year out for some reason. But Reents blitz schemes with his front 7 has always made up for their coverage skills. I think they would play a lot of zone blitz. That way they have help every where and can help keep McPherson in the pocket as much as that is possible.
I'm sure RC is ready for the blitz lol 😉

I wonder if they will keep CC on the schedule. Morris/CC game might be done for a while
I feel like CC being one of the biggest schools in the ICE needs to find a quality non con 4A level opponent, although continuing to go against Morris might be too ambitious.

I feel like CC being one of the biggest schools in the ICE needs to find a quality non con 4A level opponent, although continuing to go against Morris might be too ambitious.
Drop Morris n pick up a Rochelle, Marengo, Byron, Evergreen Park or Stillman Valley.

Class 3A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. IC Catholic (11) (4-1) 128 1
2. Williamsville (1) (5-0) 108 2
3. Reed-Custer (1) (5-0) 97 3
4. Princeton (5-0) 96 4
5. Byron (4-1) 69 5
6. Mt. Carmel, Ill. (5-0) 65 6
7. Fairbury Prairie Central (5-0) 53 7
8. Eureka (5-0) 48 8
9. Seneca (5-0) 21 T10
10. Paxton-Buckley-Loda (5-0) 17 9

Do they even make the playoffs if still in the I-8????

Class 3A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. IC Catholic (11) (4-1) 128 1
2. Williamsville (1) (5-0) 108 2
3. Reed-Custer (1) (5-0) 97 3
4. Princeton (5-0) 96 4
5. Byron (4-1) 69 5
6. Mt. Carmel, Ill. (5-0) 65 6
7. Fairbury Prairie Central (5-0) 53 7
8. Eureka (5-0) 48 8
9. Seneca (5-0) 21 T10
10. Paxton-Buckley-Loda (5-0) 17 9

Do they even make the playoffs if still in the I-8????
Maybe? They will be 2A, not 3A. Will wait and see how they do vs Clifton

Lisle vs. Herscher - The Tigers lost a key cog last week and I think we all want to see him get back to 100% so that he can continue playing in the future. The Tigers seem to have some weapons as they put up 20 on Wilmington last week but lack the depth and experience to put together a full 4 quarters. Lisle has got through Coal City and Reed Custer and had a win over Streator in between those games and the Lions really need the win to keep,their playoff hopes alive. Lisle 18 Herscher 12

Peotone vs. Streator - Peotone got through the toughest part of their schedule and a victory over the Bulldogs will help the Blue Devils gain some confidence and help solidify their playoff hopes. Streator came in with some hype as usual but they and have whimpered as of late but the scores are closer than in the past. As long as the Devils can get their offense back and they can stop the Bulldogs on a few of their drives, the Devils get to 1 win away from being playoff eligible. Peotone 33 Streator 18

Manteno vs. Coal City - there were some signs of life for the Panthers last week and the Coalers played another solid all around game vs. Lisle last week. The Coalers have the advantage on both sides of the ball and at pretty much every position on the field. The Coalers roll to set up a huge matchup with Peotone next week. Coal City 43 Manteno 12

Reed- Custer vs. Wilmington - game of the week and from what I gather from my sources, the game of the Millennium for the Comets. Reed-Custer has throttled their way through their schedule and has not been challenged this season. They look to have a very good QB/WR combo along with a few solid RBs that help them score quickly. Wilmington plays a very physical brand of football but seem to be susceptible to the spread passing game so far this season. The Comets score quickly and in bunches along with playing with some swagger but penalties seem to be an issue. Wilmington is used to playing in big games and their veteran coaching staff will have the kids ready to play at the top of their game as a rare underdog. Reed-Custer is trying to establish itself as a team and program that looks to build on this seasons success and is the favorite for the first time in a long time. The quick scoring game of the Comets, due to the favorable matchup with Wilmingtons secondary, will allow the Wildcats to control the clock and a few poorly time penalties by the Comets will be the difference in the game. Wilmington 28 Reed-Custer 24

Reactions: rocketnation
Lisle @ Herscher- This is a huge game for the Lions. The injury last week to Jones will be the difference in the game. The Tigers need him on defense to get stops. I like Lisle 28 Herscher 21.

Peotone @ Streator- Peotone got worked over last week by a very good RC team. But Streator isn’t RC. Peotone knows it needs to stack up some wins and it starts this week. Ground and pound comes back this week in Streator. Peotone 35 Streator 21

Manteno @ Coal City- Coal City seems to be getting back to its roots of a physical defense and running the ball. Manteno is going to struggle to stop the Coalers on the ground. Coal City 35 Manteno 7

Wilmington @ RC- The conference Championship is in the line. The Cats 24 game win streak is on the line. Having played both teams this game is going to be a great one. I think the difference is the speed that RC has on both sides of the ball. Tough to ever pick against the Cats but this is that one time. RC 35 Wilmington 21

Totally agree. Has anyone ever hung 50 on Reents?
Kaneland and PJ Fleck got them 54-9 in 1999. That's the only time over 50. ICCP put a pretty good thumping on them in 2016, but the clock never ran...it was 48-14 but never hit the 40+ lead.
Spring Valley Hall beat them 48-10 in 2001, but I don't think that was running clock either.

Reactions: McEvergreen
That was the most complete and thorough beating I’ve seen Wilmo take.
First time they’ve been clocked since 1999 against PJ Fleck if my research is correct
Felt good about the game but didn't see a "clock". Not sure of Wilmingtons yardage total but couldn't have been more then 50.

Felt good about the game but didn't see a "clock". Not sure of Wilmingtons yardage total but couldn't have been more then 50.
Heard on broadcast they were at 113 yards but mostly after it was decided. RC front 7 dominated the LOS

Looks like Reed-Custer dominated Wilmington from the get go. This is really a statement game for the Comets and maybe opens up some eyes around the state. I guess we will find out in 4-5 weeks how good the Comets really are when they get in to the tough 3A bracket. Wilmington will be fine after this game, 3 very winnable games to close out the season and should still get a good seed in the playoffs.

Lisle stays alive with a Win over Herscher and Coal City keeps winning. Not sure what happened in the Peotone vs. Streator shootout but looks like that was the most fun game of the week for the ICE.

I was actually able to make it to the Prairie Central and PBL game. PBL is similar to Reed-Custer as they have improved a lot over the past few years and were state ranked but they were no match for Prairie Central. The Hawks are very underrated and play in a conference that is just (if not tougher) this season than the ICE. They have size, speed, and are athletic. Just another tough out for the 3A. Another team from the south that needs t be mentioned is Mt. Carmel. They may not have the toughest schedule but if they finish 9-0 (play Mt. Vernon week 9), this could be the year and they return a lot of players from last season's semi-final team.

Spot on about Prairie Central. Quietly running the table in a tough conference. 9-0 is extremely possible looking at the rest of the schedule. Tolono has been blowing everybody out and the Hawks already beat them. Taking care of business in the south while most are focused on 3A north.

I’ve said it before, and two disclaimers:

1. I’m no coach, just a dumb ass fan (but I’ve watched this stuff for a while)…
2. 3A this year could potentially be tougher than ever depending on how many big dogs drop down…

Reed-Custer looks like a state level team. At the moment, I’m not gonna say they win it all, but they have everything necessary. That is a complete team with few weaknesses - if any.

Reactions: Gene K.
Lisle keeps hopes alive with a win over a Tiger team that is in a downward spiral right now. Lisle playoff hopes alive but gonna be tough.

Coal City with a big win as expected. They are playing better and better each week. Looking like a for sure playoff team. Manteno on the other hand is not.

Peotone in a shootout gets the win over the Bulldogs. No defense played at all in this game but a great call by coach Tolly to onside kick changed the game. Peotone looking like a playoff team again but need to fix some things defensively.

RC with a dismantling of Wilmington. I have to admit I didn’t see that kind of game playing out. Thought RC would score but didn’t see Wilmington being held out of the endzone. Cats will win out and go 8-1 and be very tough to deal with in 2A. Comets will have their hands full in 3A North.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Coal City class size isn't one of the biggest. Streator has over 800 kids.

You need to go take a reading comprehension class or something. One of the biggest means the in top few.
LOL yeah.. to spell it out - CC plays 4A. Most of the conference is 3A. Streator don’t count because they are bad. Therefore CC should play a suitable 4A non conference school to help prepare for the post season. ICE pretty good 3A and definitely 2A, but I’m not sure you could say it prepares you for current state of 4A

LOL yeah.. to spell it out - CC plays 4A. Most of the conference is 3A. Streator don’t count because they are bad. Therefore CC should play a suitable 4A non conference school to help prepare for the post season. ICE pretty good 3A and definitely 2A, but I’m not sure you could say it prepares you for current state of 4A
Really RC needs to stick to that as well if they want to become a program. Their horrible non conference schedule was acceptable when they were unknown and trying to get a few wins to fight for a playoff spot possibly, but in no way are they prepared for the playoffs based off their competition.

Really RC needs to stick to that as well if they want to become a program. Their horrible non conference schedule was acceptable when they were unknown and trying to get a few wins to fight for a playoff spot possibly, but in no way are they prepared for the playoffs based off their competition.
That’s true, but I think it would be tough to find a suitable opponent to prepare for the teams that they are likely to run into in 3A. Hard to say just how much they will drop off next year, although they are certain to drop off to some extent.

That horrible schedule seemed to prepare them pretty well for Wilmington?

That’s true, but I think it would be tough to find a suitable opponent to prepare for the teams that they are likely to run into in 3A. Hard to say just how much they will drop off next year, although they are certain to drop off to some extent.
Who won the Soph game? Score?

IMO people put too much into weeks 1/2 opponents. You don’t need to play killers to get yourself ready. You can but you don’t need to. Again IMO. As a school district and coaching staff you have to know what helps “YOUR” team. Every program is different. Fun to debate for sure. Sometimes testing yourself against tough competition can produce injuries and have lasting effects on your season. Sometimes it can help you to be battle tested and might help you to win a game later on. Nothing is definite

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT