ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 3 preview and reactions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
ICE play is here! Let's start to get a idea on how this conference will shake out. I will post my preview today.

Manteno @ Peotone - Big rival game shouldn't be an issue for the 'tone. You never know in a rivalry game though. I still like Peotone to win by several touchdowns.

Herscher @ Streator - Huge chance for Herscher to start out 3-0. I missed a streator score from the weekend at the time of me writing this. I imagine they lost if my prediction serves correct. Tigers need this more than Streator. Plus a win against Rochelle has me thinking they aren't as down as some may have originally thought. I like Herscher in a sloppy tight one. We will say 6-10 points.

Lisle @ Braidwood - If not for the next game I have listed this would be the GOTW! Huge playoff implications because with RC winning 5 only (which is about where I anticipate them being), I'm not sure they get in. RC wins and they get in for sure I would think. Lisle loses the home field advantage and RC seems to have the swag. I still like Lisle to win though (bias possibility). Also of not neither team has a monster next week. Close one but not sloppy. Lisle by 3-6.

Wilmington @ Coal City - GOTW! Rivalry! No real implications for playoffs as I think they are both set to get in. Both teams had impressive wins last week. Heard CC is physical as all get out. No harleys for homefield advantage although I'm sure most CC kids have seen it 4-5 times already at this point in their life. Still can't pick against the cats. Wilmo in a slugfest. 28-24

Is anyone doing a pickem contest for us? or should we just self report at end of season?

Lisle @ Braidwood. Both teams off to a good start. Like Tucky said, I think Lisle is much better at home than on the road. Braidwood offense is rolling although they lost a very good athlete in Foote. Braidwood 34 Lisle 20

Herscher @ Streator. Both teams off to a hot start, both surprised me last week. I will give the Tigers some love here. Herscher 20 Streator 14

Manteno @ Peotone. Manteno has not gotten off to a good start and Peotone has been solid. No surprises here. Peotone 28 Manteno 7

Wilmo @ CC. Wilmo amped up their Non Conference games this year and it payed off. Two quality wins against two quality programs. CC dropped a tight one to Morris and beat up a good Mac team on the road. Best rivalry in the area and it normally does not disappoint. CC offense got better int he second half last week but needs 4 quarters off efficiency here. I like CC here, CC 21 Wilmo 17

Reactions: Gene K.
Heard Manteno already has injury issues with a roster of less than 20 kids..

Manteno at Peotone: The Panthers played Friday with only 16 bodies on varsity. With only one reserve lineman, the offense is pretty rough. Devils are playing decently. Although I always say don't try predicting the Route 50 Rumble, I'm thinking the only rumble we are going to hear is the Devils rushing attack rumbling down the field...Devils big.

Herscher at Streator: Probably the pick'em of the week. Herscher has played better opponents. I'll take the Tigers...

Lisle at Reed-Custer: The Comets are cruising across the skies...The Lions are roaring. But Lisle usually has trouble on grass instead of on the turf. Comets start 3-0 for the first time in a long time...

Wilmington @ Coal City: The war to likely win the conference. They have played the two toughest non-con schedules in the conference. I doubt we will see any surprises here. Tighten the chinstraps and hit'em...Wildcats by 3...

Reactions: Gene K.
Peotone 35, Manteno 7
Herscher 28, Streator 27
Reed-Custer 35, Lisle 28
Wilmington 23, Coal City 21

Heard Herscher with a few kids out for Covid protocal, going to be really tough for them to get the win

Peotone brings the run game and runs all over a Manteno team still searching for offense. Peotone 42 Manteno 0

The Comets have been rolling but have they been challenged? Arcola is a solid program but 1A. Lisle has the speed and the athletes to put tht Comets in a bad position, not to mention it is homecoming in Braidwood, which we all know is a distraction...Lisle 28 RC 27

Streator is coming in at 2-0 and feeling confident m. If rumors are true, Herscher may be missing a few players on a already thin roster. A common fear in the ICE is a confident Bulldog team and the Tigers will see that this week. Streator 26 Herscher 14

The Big One.. Wilmington at Coal City which is always a dandy. Coal City has a a stout defense while the Wildcats Dona great job of controlling the clock. Neither team has a high power offense but they don't make mistakes. Defense and special teams will determine the outcome of this game Cats 14 Coalers 13.

Heard Streator 45 Herscher 40.. Herscher only had 15 varsity kids dressed, Streator wore them down scoring the last 3 TDs of the game.. Lundsford wasn't there and they couldn't kill the clock

Manteno was much better than I thought they would be. Peotone ran the ball all over them but Manteno had some success on offense as well. The Blue Devils with a huge week coming up against the Cats! 3-0 vs 3-0. Should be a good one!

Streator might be for real. 45-40 over the Tigers to stay undefeated. Herscher missing Lunsford is definitely part of the story but how about the WR from Streator with almost 300 yards receiving! Streator gets Lisle this week. That game should be interesting.

Reed-Custer stays hot and knocks off the Lions 42-14. Not sure what that score says about either team. Maybe RC is good or maybe Lisle isn’t very good. RC gets Manteno next week. Should be able to get another win.

Wilmington holds on 10-7 over the Coalers. CC is 1-2 and has already played the 3 toughest teams on their schedule. It’s only gets easier for them and they may just run the table. The Cats are once again the leaders in the clubhouse. As they say to be the man you have to beat the man. Coalers have Herscher this week and should easily take that game. Wilmington has the mighty Blue Devils. Could be a game that determines the conference title.

I’ll give my predictions later in the week.

Peotone debuted a new scoreboard and 30 second clocks on Friday...Sterling has nothing to be concerned about, but a massive improvement over the late 70's scoreboard it replaced...it even has a message board.

Devils scored on their first five possessions, and the sixth ended with them taking a knee on first down inside the 10 with less than a minute left in the game. They dominated time of possession, not surprising for a power run oriented double wing team.. The middle of the Panther defense is like a marshmallow - the Devil basic fullback dive was averaging 6-8 yards per try. The Devils converted multiple fourth downs...

The Panther's offense came to life. They had a nice scoring drive in the first half, and a bunch of drivel their other possessions before the half. But they came out their first two possessions the second half and just marched down the field for touchdowns. The second half they appeared to be running the spread's version of the triple option: snap to QB, who read options with the running back, and then rolls out on an RPO with a receiver. The Panther's third possession of the 2nd half had a first down called back for holding, followed with what was an unsportsmenslike penalty on an assistant coach for berating the ref for the call - resulting in a 3rd & 28 and they could only get 25 yards on the two plays, turning the ball over on downs. The Devil defense did not particularly impress me, although the Panther receivers were making some nice catches...

CC/Wilmo was a slugfest. Physical game just like everyone assumed it would be. Cats just made more plays. Both teams were sloppy on offense. Too many turnovers, too many penalties. Coalers had a few chances to score and win this game but couldn't capitalize. The rough three game stretch for CC is over. Went 1-2 and still gives them a chance at a decent playoff seed. Need to run the table for a home game round one. Wilmo needs to clean things up if they want to make a run. They have enough to win the ICE but I didn't see a team that looked like the #1 team in 3A. QB got rocked and was on crutches. Not sure how bad the injury was. CC will see this week how those three games injury wise

CC/Wilmo was a slugfest. Physical game just like everyone assumed it would be. Cats just made more plays. Both teams were sloppy on offense. Too many turnovers, too many penalties. Coalers had a few chances to score and win this game but couldn't capitalize. The rough three game stretch for CC is over. Went 1-2 and still gives them a chance at a decent playoff seed. Need to run the table for a home game round one. Wilmo needs to clean things up if they want to make a run. They have enough to win the ICE but I didn't see a team that looked like the #1 team in 3A. QB got rocked and was on crutches. Not sure how bad the injury was. CC will see this week how those three games injury wise

Wilmo long snapper dang near cost them the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT