ADVERTISEMENT

ICE quarters

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Good season for the Coalers and Blue Devils, we kind of saw that coming when the brackets came out.

Wilmington @ Seneca - YUUUUUUGE rematch! I think it is very hard to beat a team twice. And I also think that Wilmington has been firing on all cylinders the last few weeks. It's not an overly far trip and I think Wilmington will travel well for this game. I haven't been paying much attention, but what is the status of the Seneca QB? I like the better coaching staff to prepare their team for this game and I think that Wilmington weeks by in a close one. Probably a similar score to their first meeting. Let's say Cats 21 - Irish 18

#5 Wilmington @ #1 Seneca - Rematch from week 1. Wilmo is playing as good right now as they have all season. Seneca hasn't really been pushed since the week 1 matchup. I like Seneca at home to punch their ticket to the Semi Finals. Irish 35 Cats 21

The latest intel is Seneca's starting QB is playing RB. If that's the case, I will take WILMINGTON 28-27 in OT. If he starts and plays the game at QB, I will take SENECA 34-28. Would love to see the rematch, but due to kickoff times, I will be in Morris to watch the Skins host the Hilltoppers!

Week 10 vs Dwight and 11 vs Rockridge, Seneca has used #1 at RB and Safety. He played full starter minutes and appears fine. A different kid was playing QB. It seems that the shift for #1 to RB is for good, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he took a few snaps. Word on the street is that #15 (I think is his number) is a little bit better passer. They will hit you with a few play action shots, and did so successfully vs Rockridge.

Kinda bored and looking back at times when Wilmo faced a team twice in one year in the playoff era. It doesn’t happen all that often.

-2022 due to scheduling issues, they beat Lisle twice in the regular season.
-2019 they beat Lisle reg season and first round.
-2009 they beat Reed-Custer reg season and first round.
-2005 they lost to Plano in the reg season and then again in the 2nd round
-1996 they beat Seneca reg season and first round
-Way back in 1988, they lost to Yorkville reg season but got revenge by beating them 2nd round. So, the only time they’ve ever split two games against one opponent was 35 years ago.

Last edited:
They will hit you with a few play action shots, and did so successfully vs Rockridge.
I wish Bearcat would do some of that just to loosen up the Seneca D. And who knows, he might catch them with their pants down and hit a big one.

Reactions: doctor_d
Kinda bored and looking back at times when Wilmo faced a team twice in one year in the playoff era. It doesn’t happen all that often.

-2022 due to scheduling issues, they beat Lisle twice in the regular season.
-2019 they beat Lisle reg season and first round.
-2009 they beat Reed-Custer reg season and first round.
-2005 they lost to Plano in the reg season and then again in the 2nd round
-1996 they beat Seneca reg season and first round
-Way back in 1988, they lost to Yorkville reg season but got revenge by beating them 2nd round. So, the only time they’ve ever split two games against one opponent was 35 years ago.
Did they get beat by Geneseo in the Quarters that year? Good team, big O line. Best us in OT in our Homecoming game. Grrrr lol

Reactions: doctor_d
Did they get beat by Geneseo in the Quarters that year? Good team, big O line. Best us in OT in our Homecoming game. Grrrr lol
Lost to Geneva 13-0. That was probably the first year I saw high a school football game. Maybe ‘87 was. I do remember for sure the buzz about the ‘88 Yorkville game and their RB was slightly controversial at the time.

Last edited:
I wish Bearcat would do some of that just to loosen up the Seneca D. And who knows, he might catch them with their pants down and hit a big one.
Oh I think that is in the bag. It hasn’t been needed yet. I think they can be successful with a few calculated passes, especially if they aren’t in super obvious passing situations like 3rd and 14 or something.
I’ve watched the offense kind of evolve over the years. They/we used to call more straight passing plays. I think they still have some in the playbook. 😆 Seneca does have a very good defensive front, so we’ll see what happens. I’ve also seen them recently run stuff out of the I-wing and power I formations towards the end of the year.

Oh I think that is in the bag. It hasn’t been needed yet. I think they can be successful with a few calculated passes, especially if they aren’t in super obvious passing situations like 3rd and 14 or something.
I’ve watched the offense kind of evolve over the years. They/we used to call more straight passing plays. I think they still have some in the playbook. 😆 Seneca does have a very good defensive front, so we’ll see what happens. I’ve also seen them recently run stuff out of the I-wing and power I formations towards the end of the year.
Did you play under the Reents regime?

Did you play under the Reents regime?
Sparingly 😆

Reents, Southall, Murphy and Bolser all started my senior year.
Bolser played on the ‘88 team I mentioned earlier. Southall I think is one year older, maybe 2.

Last edited:
On to week 12 and the one team most predicted back in August is still standing. And we have quite a rematch this week.

Wilmington exacted revenge last week against TV and I was happy to actually make an HOI vs. ICE game. Even though TV scored quickly on their first possession, the Wildcats never wavered, answered the bell quickly, and physically. TV gets another score on a short field, and Wilmington answers with a sustained physical drive. It may not be glamourous but it is effected. TV usually stands their ground physically but they were no match for Wilmington—great sportsmanship by both teams, players, and coaches all around.

Week 1 Seneca was really efficient and converted several 4th downs if I remember correctly. Wilmington has played the tougher schedule, not sure if anyone in Seneca's conference wins a game in the Ice, but Senece has what seems to be an unstoppable run game. The misdirection is very effective but Wilmington's defense has been very stout against the run this season. Game could be a low scoring defensive struggle or it could be another efficient game where both teams execute and score on each drive. Wilmington 34 Seneca 32

Wilmington has played the tougher schedule, not sure if anyone in Seneca's conference wins a game in the Ice,
I almost laughed this statement off, but then I went and checked Seneca's schedule just for reference. WOW! That is a weak schedule!

Most years I would be fine with the ICE schedule, but as we have already established it is down this year. However, Wilmo went out and got two solid opponents for their non-con stint (really the only other team to consistently do this IMO has been CC).

Seneca has not really played anybody except Wilmo week 1. I think the few tests that WHS has had will help them here.

I almost laughed this statement off, but then I went and checked Seneca's schedule just for reference. WOW! That is a weak schedule!

Most years I would be fine with the ICE schedule, but as we have already established it is down this year. However, Wilmo went out and got two solid opponents for their non-con stint (really the only other team to consistently do this IMO has been CC).

Seneca has not really played anybody except Wilmo week 1. I think the few tests that WHS has had will help them here.
St. Bede and Ottawa-M could win a couple games in the ICE, but they would never challenge for a conference title unless they had one of those once in a generation groups come thru.

What do you guys think about the other North quarterfinal? If you get a chance, take a look at the conferences they play in.

St. Bede and Ottawa-M could win a couple games in the ICE, but they would never challenge for a conference title unless they had one of those once in a generation groups come thru.

What do you guys think about the other North quarterfinal? If you get a chance, take a look at the conferences they play in.
I agree. It's not like every team in their conference would lose to Lisle, Herscher, or Streator.

Maroa's conference is decent. Kind of stinks it is closed though so you don't get to reach out to any new teams for your non-con games. BCC has a tough conference too. SJO, Tolono, and Monticello are all solid programs usually.

Sangamo and Illini Prairie are both usually strong conferences and it seems to be the case again this year. My opinion is that both conferences are usually a little deeper than the ICE. That’s almost certainly true this year, but not every year. They are all generally pretty close imho. Seneca’s conference isn’t strong, but i don’t think that matters too much for this quarterfinal game. Seneca obviously knows what’s up as it’s a rematch.

Both Illini Prairie and Sangamo are deeper than the ICE and they are also larger with Sangamo being closed and IP having 1 non-con week.

In my opinion the Illini Prairie was down this year and BCC who has been the 3rd or 4th best team reaped the benefits. Not taking anything away from what they accomplished but PBL underperformed, Monticello was down, SJO was a bit of a surprise, and Tolono is the only school still playing, if they were north their season would be done.

As for the Sangamo, MF won the conference as expected followed by a run heavy Athens team, a very good Senior class for Olympia, an always solid Auburn, and a well coached Williamsville team in a down year.

The IP is extremely competitive and the games between the top teams this season were tossups but had some depth with PBL and Monticello.

The Sangamo had 5 clear playoff teams but the bottom teams on that conference were really bad.

From what I have seen the ICE is right on par with these conferences. Yes they lacked that typical 4th playoff team but at least they schedule challenging non-con games. Wish I could say the same for the IP, who had 3 non-con opponents make the playoffs (Peotone, Carterville, and Clinton) and all 3 beat IP teams.

The ICE had 7/14 opponents make the playoffs and 6 won a playoff game, and 3 of those opponents are still playing but all 3 defeated ICE teams.

I don't think it's far fetched to say the ICE is as good if not better than the IP. The Sangamo we will find out with Athens vs. Nashville and MF vs BCC.

Would be cool to see the ICE play crossovers with 1 of these two conferences. Definitely 3 of the better small school conferences in the state.

Reactions: doctor_d and 4Afan
Should they get revenge, the semifinal game would be guaranteed at Wilmington against Maroa or BCC. If it happens, fire up the Harley's fellas.

Seneca’s conference isn’t strong, but i don’t think that matters too much for this quarterfinal game. Seneca obviously knows what’s up as it’s a rematch.
I agree. Strength of conference goes out the window in this one.

After watching this weeks film, I believe the Seneca staff knows they are facing a much more physical team than they saw week one. I think their strategy of going for it on 4th down stays the same. Reents knows his D needs some stops as that was the main difference in game one. I think they'll be ready and the Cats seniors are chomping at the bit for one more home game.

Anybody know where to find the WHS/Seneca game streamed?
They did their round 1 game on their YouTube channel “IrishLive”. Decent production, with replay and stuff, but it’s kids doing the announcing. They already have the link up for Wilmo game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT