ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Quarterfinals

Oh and I vouch for Nelly’s or Hayden’s being better than anything in Coal City.

Hutchings most certainly coached Wilmington hoops in 94-95. I was there and my memory isn’t that effed up. Don’t remember Ken Miller ever coaching at Wilmo. Jim Miller did, he now coaches Carbondale HS.

I guess you are right I looked again.....Kind of hard to tell when you have a new coach listed every 2 years lol

Reactions: Coalertown44
Calpreps projections:

Wilmington (IL) at Byron (IL), 1:00pm [projection: Byron (IL) 34-24]

St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) at Coal City (IL), 2:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 27-26]

Massey has it at 35-21 Byron and 21-14 in favor of Coal City.

I don't know about salmonella, but I would put Hayden's or Nelly's up against any restaurants in the area. Nelly's also opened their own brewery if you are into that scene.
I was joking, I like both of those. I heard the brewery was really good. Have not been there to sample the beverages yet

Calpreps projections:

Wilmington (IL) at Byron (IL), 1:00pm [projection: Byron (IL) 34-24]

St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) at Coal City (IL), 2:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 27-26]

Massey has it at 35-21 Byron and 21-14 in favor of Coal City.
If you go off of common opponents then I would think CC would be the favorite but CC likes being the under dog so I will go with Cal Preps projection

I’ll do some googling on the recs much appreciated gents.

For SF it’ll be key for them to stretch the field and get a few big plays on offense, as well as a turnover or two on D. This is a homer pick, but I have SF in a nail biter with a 24-23 final score.

I’ll do some googling on the recs much appreciated gents.

For SF it’ll be key for them to stretch the field and get a few big plays on offense, as well as a turnover or two on D. This is a homer pick, but I have SF in a nail biter with a 24-23 final score.
I think it will be close regardless. I expect SF to bust a few big plays. CC just has to limit them and control the tempo. Easier said than done

I was joking, I like both of those. I heard the brewery was really good. Have not been there to sample the beverages yet

The brewery is decent. They don’t have anything that is to die for but I found 3 or 4 enjoyable beers. Better than river hawk in channahon, not as good as some of the ones more north. I’m kind of a beer snob though.

Hutchings most certainly coached Wilmington hoops in 94-95. I was there and my memory isn’t that effed up. Don’t remember Ken Miller ever coaching at Wilmo. Jim Miller did, he now coaches Carbondale HS.

IHSA has "Don" Hutchings as the 94-5 hoops coach. "Dan" Hutchings was the 6-12 baseball coach that year. Reents is listed as the 93-94 baseball coach. So, the question should be, was Hutchings a football assistant, and has he been feeding corporate insider secrets to the Coalers all these years??? lol:D:p:cool:

Reactions: Gene K.
IHSA has "Don" Hutchings as the 94-5 hoops coach. "Dan" Hutchings was the 6-12 baseball coach that year. Reents is listed as the 93-94 baseball coach. So, the question should be, was Hutchings a football assistant, and has he been feeding corporate insider secrets to the Coalers all these years??? lol:D:p:cool:

Not sure how many secrets Wilmington has. We had about 8 plays in our playbook.

Not sure how many secrets Wilmington has. We had about 8 plays in our playbook.

We actually attempted a lot of passes back in 1994. First year of the dub wing. I seem to remember both ends being split wide about half the time.

I think field conditions will play a part in the SF/CC game Saturday. This will be CC fifth straight home game. The snowy freezing conditions of the last two days with the above freezing highs of the next three days are most likely to deliver some slick muddy conditions. Might limit a few things both teams like to do

I think field conditions will play a part in the SF/CC game Saturday. This will be CC fifth straight home game. The snowy freezing conditions of the last two days with the above freezing highs of the next three days are most likely to deliver some slick muddy conditions. Might limit a few things both teams like to do

Yeah most fields in northern Illinois gonna be pretty trashed with the weather we’ve had. I would think a pure smash mouth game would benefit CC. Slippery conditions can be crazy though. One defensive back eats it and it’s an easy 6.
On that note I also think it favors R-B in the other quarterfinal. IC on their home turf is almost unbeatable. On the other hand, seems like when they play on grass, they are somewhat neutralized.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Yeah most fields in northern Illinois gonna be pretty trashed with the weather we’ve had. I would think a pure smash mouth game would benefit CC. Slippery conditions can be crazy though. One defensive back eats it and it’s an easy 6.
On that note I also think it favors R-B in the other quarterfinal. IC on their home turf is almost unbeatable. On the other hand, seems like when they play on grass, they are somewhat neutralized.
I agree that it definitely helps RB. Last week was the first time I have seen the CC field look a little sloppy all year.

Good luck Saturday. Should be a good one. The semifinals will be really good. We are heading to Northern Saturday, so get to the semis and we will be back.
Have fun and tell Zach to enjoy it and take it all in. And I’m still waiting to give his highlights to Sioux Falls

Good luck to Coal City and Wilmington today! Four tremendous teams stepping into the ring, but in the end, I think the Coalers and Cats have just enough to advance. As the great Marvelous Marvin Hagler used to say, "This is WAR.. and I come to fight"

Hopefully both Wilmington and Coal City will get huge victories today. They are now my hometown teams even though I'm a JCA guy.

Sorry to hear Pullara is playing hurt (soft cast) and will be limited to Defense. I played football with his father at Joliet Catholic.

Reactions: Gene K.
Hopefully both Wilmington and Coal City will get huge victories today. They are now my hometown teams even though I'm a JCA guy.

Sorry to hear Pullara is playing hurt (soft cast) and will be limited to Defense. I played football with his father at Joliet Catholic.

Pullara dropped two likely interceptions in the second half, and smothered a third for the int. He might have scored on the one drop if he could have grabbed the ball with his hands...there was nothing but grass and maybe a straight-arm of Rittenhouse between him & the ez.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT