ADVERTISEMENT

ICE playoff outlook and Round 1 predictions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Well it is finally here and looks like it has played out about like it was predicted all year. I will be providing my Round 1 thoughts as well as how I see the post season wrapping up for each team.

4A

9 Coal City @ 8 West Chicago (Wheaton Academy) - Would love to side with an ICE team here, but in what looks to be a closely matched game I have to go with the team with better results in the regular season. WA beat Mac by 20 while CC did by 8. They also kept it relatively close with IC (all things considered). I just don't think that CC has the weapons to get it done. I see a tough game. But I like Wheaton Academy to win by 10. Also Just to keep with tradition, this is the ICE GOTW as far as playoffs go.

Wouldn't get the Coalers much to win anyway. They feed into JCA. Tough draw. Even a first round win means their season stops week 2 of playoffs.

3A

9 Chicago Carver @ 8 Lisle - I cannot side with a CPS school that isn't Phillips or Simeon. Their results are all over the place so it is hard to get a gauge on any of their teams. I will pick what is known to be a solid team and at home Lisle is a tougher team than on the road. Just ask Peotone. I will take Lisle by 3 TD's

Lisle will travel to Byron in round 2 and I would imagine Byron is tough like always. Another 2nd round loss for the ICE

13 Peotone @ 4 Braidwood - Braidwood beat up the Devils pretty good in week 5 and the result will the same 5 weeks later. No surprise here. 42-6 first meeting, let's say 42-13 this time around.

Braidwood has a favorable first round opponent. They will most likely travel to Elmwood in round 2. Like CPS schools (who Elmwood plays), I am not usually impressed with the central IL 2/3A teams. I feel like they have inflated records usually. I think RC wins in round 2 regardless who they play, then they will have Byron at home. This will be a true test for the Comets. Byron typically plays like Wilmo. I think that the coaching staff is better at Byron too. Tough quarterfinal game for the Comets. Their season stops their though. If they upset Byron, IC waits. Great season by the Comets either way and I will admit they are a good team. Feel free to use that against me later all!

2A

16 Chicago Julien @ 1 Wilmington - This has repeat of the '16 cats who hosted Corliss. 2 of Julien's wins were forfeits. They do not look good on paper at all. Wilmo will run loose. Should probably practice some passing too. Cats running clock.

Second round Wilmo will travel to Newman Catholic. Could be a sneaky tough game. If Newman has any sort of run defense it could be trouble. Then comes the big boy. Mac, probably at Wilmington if I had to guess. That will be a tough one. If they can beat mac I think a title is in the cards. However I do not see a team who has only completed one pass all year beating a team like Mac. Also would like to point out that this 2A route is just as hard if not harder than where they would have been had they ended up in 3A. We would have been the 1 in 3A and been in Byron's spot. Playing IC in the semis. Easier road to Semi's, but harder to win it all. Funny how it all works out.

Best of luck to all teams and hopefully I am wrong on the CC pick! Discuss and let's do it again next week!

Reactions: doctor_d
Generally agree with this assessment. For the 1 line, 2A is tougher early, but 3A is tougher overall.
Byron and especially IC appear more daunting than anything in 2A north.
I believe Reed-Custer got the best possible draw. We’ll see what they do with it. I give them a punchers chance. They have everything needed to make a nice run except for experience.

Generally agree with this assessment. For the 1 line, 2A is tougher early, but 3A is tougher overall.
I believe Reed-Custer got the best possible draw. We’ll see what they do with it. I give them a punchers chance. They have everything needed to make a nice run except for experience.
Mac will be pretty darn tough.

I guess what I mean is look where Wilmo would have been In bracket in 3a. Cps school, Lisle, braidwood would have been their first three games. Now in 2a Wilmo has Cps school, sterling, who could be tough. Probably tougher than lisle. Then Mac. All I’m saying.

I guess what I mean is look where Wilmo would have been In bracket in 3a. Cps school, Lisle, braidwood would have been their first three games. Now in 2a Wilmo has Cps school, sterling, who could be tough. Probably tougher than lisle. Then Mac. All I’m saying.
Totally agree. Pretty clear path to round 3 in 3A. After that is where some serious issues arise. Newman and (hopefully) Mac will be very challenging opponents. Both have obviously gotten better as the season has gone on.
But…Both would clearly be underdogs to IC and probably Byron. And that’s all I’m sayin’…

Sorry for being out of the loop.. has Wilmo really only completed one pass all year??

Totally agree. Pretty clear path to round 3 in 3A. After that is where some serious issues arise. Newman and (hopefully) Mac will be very challenging opponents. Both have obviously gotten better as the season has gone on.
But…Both would clearly be underdogs to IC and probably Byron. And that’s all I’m sayin’…
How is Byron? I have not heard much. Obviously they are good but how good. I mean WHS is 9-0 but I'm not sure if they are that good. Time will tell.

Sorry for being out of the loop.. has Wilmo really only completed one pass all year??
Not surprised if true. I want to say they threw the ball 3 times vs. RC and did not come close to completing one of them. Newman is going to put 9 in the box.

Would they have fared any better in 3A with no passing game? Is 3A easier to run on than 2A?
Well Since their 2nd round and Quarterfinal opponents in 3A would have been teams they previously beat they probably would have fared better. Is 3A easier to run on? No. But the draw is more favorable for them in 3A. I was being sarcastic.

Reactions: McEvergreen
2A top bracket is loaded. 3A is tough top and bottom. St T has to be the fav in 2A bottom, but they have to survive 4 teams best games to get to Dekalb.

Well Since their 2nd round and Quarterfinal opponents in 3A would have been teams they previously beat they probably would have fared better. Is 3A easier to run on? No. But the draw is more favorable for them in 3A. I was being sarcastic.
Can't see how a Mac team that lost to Coal City 14-6 is a tougher opponent in round 3 than a Comet team that beat Coal City 33-9. Also a team that had the Wildcats down 14-13 in the 4th quarter. Maybe Im missing something. Even Peotone the 5-4 #13 seed played the Cats 10-0. Seems like that 3A draw might be a little tougher than you think. Not sure Newman is head and shoulders above Lisle either. They lost 41-0 to Princeton. I guess only time will tell.

Can't see how a Mac team that lost to Coal City 14-6 is a tougher opponent in round 3 than a Comet team that beat Coal City 33-9. Also a team that had the Wildcats down 14-13 in the 4th quarter. Maybe Im missing something. Even Peotone the 5-4 #13 seed played the Cats 10-0. Seems like that 3A draw might be a little tougher than you think. Not sure Newman is head and shoulders above Lisle either. They lost 41-0 to Princeton. I guess only time will tell.
Week 2 was a long time ago. I also think that’s the beauty of playing the what if game. We will never know some of these outcomes.

Playoff Edition Picks:

4A- Coal City. With Harvey done for the season I believe the Coalers hopes are also done for the season. I got WA big in this game. Challenging non-conference schedule didn't help the Coalers this year.

3A- Lisle. I think they win round 1 easily. In round 2 I think they give Byron a game for 3 quarters and then Bryon pulls away. Good Season Lions.

3A- Peotone. The Blue Devils have some injuries and have been hanging on the last couple of weeks. I would like to say we got one more special effort in us but I don't see it happening against the Comets. Good season. Forks up!

3A- Reed-Custer. The Comets have been flying high and I like them to score enough to beat the Blue Devils as earlier stated. In round 2 I like whoever the Comets get. In round 3 I am saying the Comets learned their lesson in Wilmington and upset a similar style team in Byron. That is where I believe the road ends for the Comets. IC will be looming and from everything I have heard it would be a tough task. Good season Comets.

2A- Wilmington. I like the Cats to make a run. They are a better team than Newman or Mac. Those might not be gimme games but the Cats are physical up front and don't make mistakes. I got the Cats in the title game vs the Bulldogs. I'll take the Cats to win it all.

3A- Reed-Custer. The Comets have been flying high and I like them to score enough to beat the Blue Devils as earlier stated. In round 2 I like whoever the Comets get. In round 3 I am saying the Comets learned their lesson in Wilmington and upset a similar style team in Byron. That is where I believe the road ends for the Comets. IC will be looming and from everything I have heard it would be a tough task. Good season Comets.

2A- Wilmington. I like the Cats to make a run. They are a better team than Newman or Mac. Those might not be gimme games but the Cats are physical up front and don't make mistakes. I got the Cats in the title game vs the Bulldogs. I'll take the Cats to win it all.
I think Byron-RC will be a good game. Byron too tough and better coaching.
I like the Wilmington prediction but I just don't see it. Can a team with one completion win a title LOL? What is the record for that? Also Wilmo would beat (probably) 3 Privates in a title run.....What is the record for that? I highly doubt a team has done 5/5 in a title run, but maybe 3 or 4?

Last edited:
ICE ROUND 1

4A - Coal City gets run out of West Chicago in this one. Might hang for awhile, but watch out second half.

3A - Lisle handles Carver no problem.

3A - RC overwhelms Peotone from the get go. Comets win big!

2A - The Wildcats rev up the D-wing and Defense and man handle Julian on a damp, chilly night in Wilmington.

Lots of good stuff here.
@Wilmatucky I think you just can’t lose your anti-Braidwood bias. :D. I get it.
If the goal is to make Round 3, I believe 3A would actually be easier. If the goal is to get to/win a state title, then 3A is significantly tougher.
How good is Byron? Haven’t seen them personally. Seems like they are typical Byron. Pretty dominant results against a traditionally strong conference.
In either case, I’d be surprised if Wilmington can survive for too long without being able to hit something down field to loosen up the opposing defense. Their best teams in the past have been able to throw it effectively - at least a little bit.

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff here.
@Wilmatucky I think you just can’t lose your anti-Braidwood bias. :D. I get it.
If the goal is to make Round 3, I believe 3A would actually be easier. If the goal is to get to/win a state title, then 3A is significantly tougher.
How good is Byron? Haven’t seen them personally. Seems like they are typical Byron. Pretty dominant results against a traditionally strong conference.
In either case, I’d be surprised if Wilmington can survive for too long without being able to hit something down field to loosen up the opposing defense. Their best teams in the past have been able to throw it effectively - at least a little bit.
Hey I’ve said RC is a good team this year. They just aren’t a program yet.

Coal City @ Wheaton Academy: Both beat McNamara. The Coalers 3 losses are to teams with a combined 26-1 record, and they beat 3 other playoff teams. But the Coalers have had problems most of the year on offense, and if Harvey is dinged up the Coaler O is in big trouble...I would have loved watching JCA go to CC - I wonder if it would bring up the horror memories of the Dergo game the last time the Hilltoppers went to Morris? But WA will get to go to Memorial Stadium instead...WA by 2 scores.

Peotone @ Reed-Custer: Conference foes reunite for a first round rematch. I don't see much change here...RC ties the school record for wins at 9, 3 scores.

Carver @ Lisle: Can't support a public league team...Lions pounce on the Challengers early and often. Running clock?

Julian @ Wilmington: Repeat of Corliss a few years ago? The Jaguars will not be the first team to be ambushed from the woods...Running clock?

Well the season flew by and the ICE gets 5 playoff teams. Hats off to another fun season

Julian @ Wilmo: Julian shouldn't get off the bus. Wilmo 52 Julian 7

Carver @ Lisle: Carver is better than Julian but same result. Lisle 30 Julian 13

Peotone @ Braidwood: Tone has had an up and down season. Braidwood proved the doubters wrong and had a great 8-1 season. Braidwood got a very favorable draw the first two rounds. Comets stay hot here. Braidwood 35 Tone 7

CC @ Wheaton Academy: CC and WA played a few years ago in Round 1 and the Coalers dominated. Much different game this year. Judging by scores WA has a very efficient squad this year. CC offense has been less than thrilling this year but the one thing they could count on was Harvey bulldozing his was to 100 plus yards and a few scores. Well unfortunately he's out for the playoffs so the Coalers need to find ways to get in the endzone. Losing your best offensive threat and your leading tackler is going to make things rough but as you guys know I don't pick against my Coalers. CC 17 WA 16

Hey I’ve said RC is a good team this year. They just aren’t a program yet.
I agree with this. They are good this year and will be good again next year. But I don't see much from them after that. If they want to drop the stigma of a bad program well then they need to be better more consistently

And I still blame them for the Interstate 8 (that we know) breaking up
Around that time I was not following quite as closely. I know I was not a fan of the Large/Small split with only playing a few teams from the other side. Please elaborate.....I honestly don't know much about that story. Not stirring the pot.

Wilmington and Mac would be must see playoff action. Hopefully a Saturday Night 6pm game at Wilmington and not a 1pm kickoff at Bishop Mac. Wilmington is going to need a win by Sterling Newman this week as well as an Erie win over Clifton Central to ensure this happens. If Clifton Central beats Erie it is all a mute point as the Irish will have spent their first 2 rounds on the Road and would be in line to host. If Mercer County would knock off Sterling Newman in round 1 Wilmington will be home for first 2 rounds and no shot at Hosting in round 3.

Wilmington and Mac would be must see playoff action. Hopefully a Saturday Night 6pm game at Wilmington and not a 1pm kickoff at Bishop Mac. Wilmington is going to need a win by Sterling Newman this week as well as an Erie win over Clifton Central to ensure this happens. If Clifton Central beats Erie it is all a mute point as the Irish will have spent their first 2 rounds on the Road and would be in line to host. If Mercer County would knock off Sterling Newman in round 1 Wilmington will be home for first 2 rounds and no shot at Hosting in round 3.
Hosting? I think Wilmington and their fans are just hoping they make it to round 3.

Newman and Wilmington have played in the past. Both games were tight. I think Newman will be ready. As a Wilmo fan, I’m not taking anything for granted. Wilmington was “supposed” to have a big showdown with Mac in 2015 until Byron came and knocked them off.
I agree if the he game does happen I hope it’s at Wilmo, fwiw. Rather them play at Becker Field than over on Brookmont.

Who is stopping Wilmington before round 3??? Sterling Newman??? No sorry not this year.
I’m a Sterling guy, definitely do not root for newman. Haven’t seen any of their games, only what I’ve heard and read. I would say Wilmington would definitely be the favorite, but Newman has righted the ship a bit. Doesn’t seem like it’s one of their best teams in recent history, but the one thing they always seem to do well is defend the run. That’s obviously Wilmington’s bread and butter, so could be a fun matchup.

If I was a betting man (which I am), I’d still take Wilmington money line. But cal preps has it at 24-7 Wilmington and I don’t think I’d be taking the -17.

So round 1…
*Wilmo vs CPS school. Would Julian win a game in the ICE?
*Lisle vs CPS school. See above.
*Peotone/R-C rematch. Maybe a little closer than reg season but Comets win handily.
*CC @ Wheaton Academy. Tall order for the Coalers with one of their best players down. Hoping for an upset, but I don’t see CC scoring enough points to pull it off.

Well it is finally here and looks like it has played out about like it was predicted all year. I will be providing my Round 1 thoughts as well as how I see the post season wrapping up for each team.

4A

9 Coal City @ 8 West Chicago (Wheaton Academy) - Would love to side with an ICE team here, but in what looks to be a closely matched game I have to go with the team with better results in the regular season. WA beat Mac by 20 while CC did by 8. They also kept it relatively close with IC (all things considered). I just don't think that CC has the weapons to get it done. I see a tough game. But I like Wheaton Academy to win by 10. Also Just to keep with tradition, this is the ICE GOTW as far as playoffs go.

Wouldn't get the Coalers much to win anyway. They feed into JCA. Tough draw. Even a first round win means their season stops week 2 of playoffs.

3A

9 Chicago Carver @ 8 Lisle - I cannot side with a CPS school that isn't Phillips or Simeon. Their results are all over the place so it is hard to get a gauge on any of their teams. I will pick what is known to be a solid team and at home Lisle is a tougher team than on the road. Just ask Peotone. I will take Lisle by 3 TD's

Lisle will travel to Byron in round 2 and I would imagine Byron is tough like always. Another 2nd round loss for the ICE

13 Peotone @ 4 Braidwood - Braidwood beat up the Devils pretty good in week 5 and the result will the same 5 weeks later. No surprise here. 42-6 first meeting, let's say 42-13 this time around.

Braidwood has a favorable first round opponent. They will most likely travel to Elmwood in round 2. Like CPS schools (who Elmwood plays), I am not usually impressed with the central IL 2/3A teams. I feel like they have inflated records usually. I think RC wins in round 2 regardless who they play, then they will have Byron at home. This will be a true test for the Comets. Byron typically plays like Wilmo. I think that the coaching staff is better at Byron too. Tough quarterfinal game for the Comets. Their season stops their though. If they upset Byron, IC waits. Great season by the Comets either way and I will admit they are a good team. Feel free to use that against me later all!

2A

16 Chicago Julien @ 1 Wilmington - This has repeat of the '16 cats who hosted Corliss. 2 of Julien's wins were forfeits. They do not look good on paper at all. Wilmo will run loose. Should probably practice some passing too. Cats running clock.

Second round Wilmo will travel to Newman Catholic. Could be a sneaky tough game. If Newman has any sort of run defense it could be trouble. Then comes the big boy. Mac, probably at Wilmington if I had to guess. That will be a tough one. If they can beat mac I think a title is in the cards. However I do not see a team who has only completed one pass all year beating a team like Mac. Also would like to point out that this 2A route is just as hard if not harder than where they would have been had they ended up in 3A. We would have been the 1 in 3A and been in Byron's spot. Playing IC in the semis. Easier road to Semi's, but harder to win it all. Funny how it all works out.

Best of luck to all teams and hopefully I am wrong on the CC pick! Discuss and let's do it again next week!
The 2A class seems pretty wide open to me. Bishop McNamara is accustomed to playing larger schools and beat St. Francis, so they are a threat. However, in addition to Wilmington it seems there are at least four other teams who are threats to win the 2A title. [So that makes a total of six legitimate contenders.]

St. Teresa is a contender every year, gave Durand its only loss this year, and has won their games this season by an average of 40 points. Mater Dei, like Bishop McNamara and Wilmington, is used to playing larger schools. They haven't been beaten yet. Farmington has allowed no opponent closer than 31 points all season. And Tri-Valley's conference has won the 2A championship four of the last five playoffs. Not only is Tri-Valley the conference champion but they have allowed no opponent closer than 21 points all season. Even Nashville has a very solid program, though this year's team might not be quite as good as the previously discussed six teams.

You've made it sound as if "a title is in the cards" if Wilmington can get past Bishop McNamara. It could be that McNamara is the sixth best team in the class.

The 2A class seems pretty wide open to me. Bishop McNamara is accustomed to playing larger schools and beat St. Francis, so they are a threat. However, in addition to Wilmington it seems there are at least four other teams who are threats to win the 2A title. [So that makes a total of six legitimate contenders.]

St. Teresa is a contender every year, gave Durand its only loss this year, and has won their games this season by an average of 40 points. Mater Dei, like Bishop McNamara and Wilmington, is used to playing larger schools. They haven't been beaten yet. Farmington has allowed no opponent closer than 31 points all season. And Tri-Valley's conference has won the 2A championship four of the last five playoffs. Not only is Tri-Valley the conference champion but they have allowed no opponent closer than 21 points all season. Even Nashville has a very solid program, though this year's team might not be quite as good as the previously discussed six teams.

You've made it sound as if "a title is in the cards" if Wilmington can get past Bishop McNamara. It could be that McNamara is the sixth best team in the class.
I mean I didn't guarantee it or anything. I think the south, and actually north too, are both wide open. That's the beauty of HS football we don't know a whole lot about some of the other teams in the state.

Technically, a state title is "in the cards" for all 256 teams in the playoffs. I think what Wilmatucky is saying is that Farmington, Tri Valley, St. T., and BMD have played schedules that are a tad easier and have not been in challenging games with superior opponents as often as B Mac and Wilmington.

Wilmington vs. Juilian - Cats roll with their run game and stout defense. Julian get the unique gameday experience that Wilmington provides but their IHSA run ends on Saturday. Cats 51 Jaguars 6

Peotone @ Reed- Custer - I hate conference matchups in the playoffs and not matter how good you are it is difficult to beat an opponent twice in the same season. The Devils have definitely fallen off as of late while the Comets continue to show improvement in all areas of the game. The Devils have been missing several players the past few game and should be back to 100% and the Comets should also be at 100%. Reed-Custer 35 Peotone 23

Coal City @ Wheaton Academy - simply put, Coal City is not the same Coal City without Harvey. Argubly the best player on both sides of the ball in the conference from what I have heard. The Coalers will compete but won't have the ability to pull the win. Wheaton 38 Coal City 18

Carver @ Lisle - same ol story for with a CPS school. Lisle will roll with a combo of their run and pass game. Lisle 38 Carver 12

I hope the Julian staff has at least enough preparation to show the team a pregame entrance video for Wilmington...I'm pretty sure the shock to the Corliss team helped the first quarter slaughter by the Cats....

2A North bracket review...

Julian @ 1 Wilmo...slaughter...

9 Sterling Newman @ 8 Aledo (Mercer County)... Got some hardware here...6 titles, 2 runners up for Newman; 1 title since consolidating for Aledo Mercer County - 3 titles, 2 runners up for Aledo. Newman has been up & down - wrecked by Princeton 41-0, gave Kewanee their only loss last week 20-17. Aledo on 5 game winning streak, wrecked week 1 by Farmington 41-0 & forfeited week 2 to Knoxville, 38-14 loss to Abington Avon week 4 - but the Lincoln Trail has only 2 2A teams & 6 1A teams. Schools playing up from their conference usually have trouble...Aledo has played primarily 2A teams, Newman lots of 3A & 4A. Newman should win.

13 McNamara @ 4 Knoxville...Mac needs no intro in Zinanni's 45th year, Knoxville was 11-1 in '19...Got to be depressing to be the 8-1 four seed and everyone is considering your opponent as a possible state champ. Knoxville plays in the 1A dominated Lincoln Trail with Aledo, while Mac plays mostly 4A or bigger schools. Mac should win...

12 Clifton Central @ 5 Erie-Prophetstown...Comets led by Hall of Famer Brian Spooner, who has had several deep playoff runs - and was a 2A favorite with all the seniors who graduated in the spring; Erie has been to the playoffs 4 times since 2000 - and Prophetstown hasn't been good since Bret Bielema roamed the field - coop probably 20 years. Erie is on a 7 game winning streak, but only 2 playoff teams in the 7 (5-4 Rockridge, 6-3 Monmouth-Roseville). Central beat conference champ Momence 32-8 last week, but lost the two weeks before to 7-2 I West & 4-5 Seneca...Erie is likely more consistent, so I'll take Erie. Erie would then go to Mac, likely setting up the potential Mac @ Wilmo quarterfinal game many people would like to see...

Rockridge @ Tri-Valley: Tri-Valley.
North Lawndale @ Deer Creek Mackinaw: no CPL teams...DCM.
El Paso - Gridley @ Farmington: Farmington.
Momence @ Tremont: Tremont.

I know Mac beat a very good St Francis team but I am not seeing the hype. CC physically dominated them in week 2 and this is a CC team that is average for CC standards. I know it was week 2 and teams can improve and CC probably played the best all year in that three game stretch but I am not buying in to Mac making some kind of big run. I know its 2A but there are some really good teams in this bracket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT