ADVERTISEMENT

I don't like the price but I love the player

When the trade was announced for Cleveland's 12th pick, I was hopeful the Bears were involved. Oh well...

They had to be bidding against the Browns or other teams to give up that much to move up one spot. Seems like an odd move in a draft that is allegedly deep. This was not a good trade for the future of John Fox. I'm sure the plan is to have Trubisky sit a year behind Glennon. As it stands now (barring trades), that means the Bears will get one contributor next year in the first four rounds of the draft. Good luck to John Fox, who has to be on very thin ice.

Bears can still get the Browns 25, 33, and two more...

Pace is clearly in love with the dude if not.

The Bears paid way to much for a questionable talent at position they had already addressed in free agency. He could turn out to be great since you never really know but if I had to bet I would lean bust.

I don't think he's a questionable talent at all, just raw in NFL terms. it think he needs to work on the same NFL things every major QB in this draft needs to work on (pro style and reads), and from all accounts he's a go-getter and bright enough to learn. From an arm perspective he has good arm strength and is the most accurate of the group. He also has a quick release. He needs to learn the drop, but his footwork has been praised.

I wish we would have gone defense and kept the picks, but from a "talent" perspective he's not questionable in the least.

Reactions: Gene K.
If you watch Trubisky throw, he hits guys right in the hands, in a great spot to make a play. Granted the Bears WRs drop those too, he's uber-accurate. But if you saw their bowl game, he's used to the drops...

The Bears paid way to much for a questionable talent at position they had already addressed in free agency. He could turn out to be great since you never really know but if I had to bet I would lean bust.
I agree with Epic on the talent issue. But, you may or may not end up being right. Easy for me to say. The pick does say what the Bears really think of Glennon and Sanchez.

What they essentially did was trade 4 picks for a guy that very likely would have been their at 3 anyway.

When you need so much help in so many areas, to give up that much for a guy that you aren't even planning on playing this season just lacks serious logic.

To build a team you have to build from the bottom up - add depth to where if a guy goes down its not panic in the streets. You have a capable back up to help.

The Bears are not in a position to bring a No. 3 overall pick along slowly and let him develop. You need an impact player in this draft now, not 2 or 3 years from now. If you wait that long, Pace and Fox wont be here that long anyway.

Don't know what to think of Trubisky. But the plan here was very poorly orchestrated.

Just stupid! It is becoming more and more hard to be a Bears fans.

Obviously either SF bluffed us or someone else was trading up to 2 to get him. Pace wanted him clearly. There were teams that wanted to trade up for him to some degree, from what I heard from a source connected intimately with another NFL team. Not sure if they were looking as high as SF. That does seem logical considering both the Browns and Niners were "considering him" at 1 and 2 themselves at some point.

We are all on the outside looking in, so strap in for the ride gents.

What gives me pause about Trubisky's abilities is why it took so long for him to earn the starting job. I would think a guy worthy of the #2 pick would earn the starting QB spot at UNC, hardly a football power, sooner than he did. And who is Marquise Williams? He was the guy at UNC that Trubisky played behind for 2 years. He was an undrafted free agent in 2016.

You never know how much you can believe concerning all the pre-draft chatter, but Trubisky confirmed he didn't have much contact with the Bears. He was not brought in for an individual workout, nor did he speak to them much. On the one hand, the Bears did not tip their hand. On the other, wouldn't you want to vet the guy a bit more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon "GHOST' Riley
What gives me pause about Trubisky's abilities is why it took so long for him to earn the starting job. I would think a guy worthy of the #2 pick would earn the starting QB spot at UNC, hardly a football power, sooner than he did. And who is Marquise Williams? He was the guy at UNC that Trubisky played behind for 2 years. He was an undrafted free agent in 2016.

You never know how much you can believe concerning all the pre-draft chatter, but Trubisky confirmed he didn't have much contact with the Bears. He was not brought in for an individual workout, nor did he speak to them much. On the one hand, the Bears did not tip their hand. On the other, wouldn't you want to vet the guy a bit more?
He has said publicly he thought he earned the job his soph season.

That said, not many college coaches will bench a senior who is a two year starter (and successful). With the record and output of trubisky (he was a markedly better passer than Marquise Williams), they should have, but noone does without injury.

But won't care if they trade him to Cleveland...

Agree with the title of your post. Pick is fine. Cost was pretty high.

Assuming he develops into a starter in 2018, if not before, his level of success will hinge on what sort of receiver corps he will have to throw to and what kind of OL he will have to protect him. Right now, both of those areas need a lot of help.

Does no good for the Bears to have a high performing QB if they have nobody running good routes, getting open, and able to catch what is thrown. Does no good for the Bears to have a high performing QB if he doesn't have time to make the throw.

Reactions: CCfan and epicbret
That said, not many college coaches will bench a senior who is a two year starter (and successful). With the record and output of trubisky (he was a markedly better passer than Marquise Williams), they should have, but noone does without injury.
Good point...very true. I wish him well.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. What if Glennon plays very well in 2017? Does Trubisky sit again in 2018? Would the Bears look to trade Glennon after a successful season? More likely....what happens if Glennon struggles? Will Fox feel pressure to insert Trubisky? We shall see.

If the Bears wanted to get pantsed by SF, they could have just traded for Kaepernick.
Pace said he needed to make a move, and not "sit on his hands". One way to not sit on your hands is to make the draft picks that you have, and draft good players to fill the MANY holes that they have. Any quarterback they have will not look very good lying on his back next fall. Glennon will get hurt after a couple games, and we will see Trubisky put out there before he is ready.

And to think that I finally renounced my Redskin loyalty this year (I know, I know, what took me so long) to become a Bears fan. Giving up those draft picks seems insane when so much rebuilding was needed. It's like they are positioning for a top pick next year already as they likely leave three starters off the roster for '17.

For all this, I hope Trubisky is the right buy like Epic says. I just wish he had some new pieces around him.

I for one am willing to give this kid a chance. His game tapes show he has a good skill set passing the ball and looks like he has some speed running the ball. Been a Bear fan a long long time. This pick seems to have shaken up Bear fans who wanted Cutler gone and now are upset with this pick too. Understand the frustration (I was too) but choose to look at the positives and not the negatives . Listening to comments on the Score radio channel it seems there was a consensus of the Bear coaches to choose Trubisky with the first pick.

I cannot defend a single second day pick. I like Jackson but injuries. I like Cohen like 3 rounds later...

That was one of the worst picks in NFL history.

First, a team last in defense should be picking all defensive players in the draft (and I think throwing in a OL or TE would be fine with me).

Second, the Bears win with running the football and defense. Can we just concentrate on defense? All we need is a QB that can hand off the ball which we can get in any round if needed.

Third, we just bought a QB in free agency.

Fourth, why would we give up 4 players to move up 1 spot. It's ridiculous. The 49ers would never be dumb enough to pick Tribisky 2nd overall. They were playing with the Bears and got 3 free picks for it. Anyhow after watching Tribisky play 3 times, I would not even consider touching him until round 4 of the draft.

Fifth, I don't want a QB in this draft. Maybe next year.

Sixth, I watched this Tribisky 3 times this year and I thought he just sucks.

Last, I dislike this pick more than I dislike Cutler!

Why can't we learn how to draft like Green Bay.

Last edited:
I am enjoying all of the things I am reading in the papers and on social media concerning this draft. A lot of Bears fans are pissed off. But some of them are never satisfied no matter what the Bears do.

Those are the meat head fans. They are the ones who said "anyone will do instead of Cutler!!" They are the ones who said, we need to draft a QB in the first round. The Bears do that and now they are complaining that the price was too high. Now they are saying the Bears have to fill too many holes to draft a QB in the first round.

They may not have been completely sold on Glennon, but they were happy Cutler was gone. Now, suppose the Bears did draft to fill holes instead of a QB in round one. And let's say Glennon is a total bust. These same people would then say, "man I told you we should have drafted a QB in the first round!"

My only concern is this...and I may be proven wrong here. But, if you are gonna draft a QB with the first or second pick of the draft, it seems to me you would pick a guy who you feel can step in right away and play at the NFL level. Obviously no one thinks this kid can right now. I know not all QBs drafted this high stepped right in, but a whole bunch did.

I said before the draft that if Trubisky was a early pick he'd be a bust, if given time he'd be excellent. The Bears say he's essentially redshirting/In Case of Emergency, so I think he could be special. I just wish we addressed more defense, but who knows the current roster depth in the team's eyes. I don't get how a TE, G, and RB who likely need to "adjust" add depth. Or a safety with a leg still healing.

I said before the draft that if Trubisky was a early pick he'd be a bust, if given time he'd be excellent. The Bears say he's essentially redshirting/In Case of Emergency, so I think he could be special. I just wish we addressed more defense, but who knows the current roster depth in the team's eyes. I don't get how a TE, G, and RB who likely need to "adjust" add depth. Or a safety with a leg still healing.
I said it earlier in this thread regarding the first pick, and it's even more appropriate with the draft now complete. The person who should be most unhappy with this draft is John Fox. If things go according to plan, they will get no contribution on the field from Trubisky in 2017. The 2nd round TE has potential, but there will be a steep learning curve coming from Division 2. They had no 3rd rounder after the trade. How much help can Fox expect from this draft in 2017? And after going 6-10 and 3-13 in 2015 and 2016, respectively, it would seem this is a big year for Fox. Any thoughts he had of getting immediate help are shot, IMO.

Brad Biggs in the Tribune made a good point after the first 2 rounds. The Bears spent their most money in FA on a QB and TE (from Miami). Then, they proceed to take a QB and TE with their first two picks. Seems odd, especially in a draft that was considered strong defensively for a team that has numerous defensive holes.

The one thing we can all pull away from this draft is that Ryan Pace feels very comfortable with his job security and is the one calling the shots. We will see over the next 3 years if that works out or not.

If you look at the "draft pick value sheet" they didn't trade way to much....

I think the draft pick value chart thing is fine, but it just looks at the draft. It does not take into account,for example, that the Bears signed Glennon and Sanchez. How much are the Bears investing in the QB position when you take into account WHO is in it?

Nor does the chart take into account who the Bears DIDN'T pick. Of the five picks the Bears had, just one of them was on defense, and he was their third pick...behind Trubisky and that TE who excelled at the D-II level.

The one thing we can all pull from this draft is that Ryan Pace feels very comfortable with his job security and is the one calling the shots.

I was thinking the same this past weekend. I wonder how high he cleared this move, when he did so, and what level of assurances he received from those above him within the Bears org.

Yeah, where is he on the depth chart relative to Sanchez?

Yeah, where is he on the depth chart relative to Sanchez?
I'm guessing he will start the year behind Sanchez. They will not throw him out there until they deem he is ready. As you pointed out, they sure have allocated a significant amount of resources to the QB position. Let's hope it turns out better than the now infamous Cutler allocation.

Should have got Bailey since we were picking NAIA kids and kids out the sandlot. Could have been our Edelman. That said I am not mad about the 1st pick, just mad ad what we gave up to get it and then the subsequent picks. As has already been pointed out we got virtually no help.

Did I say "we"? I meant you guys got no help. I'm only a Cubs fan. The rest of Chicago's teams, including the Hawks and their dismal performance, need to be dispersed throught the country the same way flatulence disperses throughout a room.

I am thinking the Bears management will take a page out of the Cubs' book. They probably figure the team isn't going to be competitive for a couple years. Better to let Glennon run for his life and possibly not survive, instead of Trubisky. They will do this in the hope of rebuilding while letting Glennon and maybe at times, Sanchez take the lumps.

Then in a couple years or sooner, if or when the team is more competitive, Trubisky gets the call and Glennon is demoted or shown the door.

This is exactly what the Cubs did while they were terrible. They hired rookie managers with inexpensive contracts to get them through the bad times and secured high draft picks. Then, when they saw that the team was going to be competitive, even though they told Rick Renteria he was coming back for the next season, they "learned" Joe Maddon was available, then they told old Ricky, "sorry, we can't use you."

I said it earlier in this thread regarding the first pick, and it's even more appropriate with the draft now complete. The person who should be most unhappy with this draft is John Fox. If things go according to plan, they will get no contribution on the field from Trubisky in 2017. The 2nd round TE has potential, but there will be a steep learning curve coming from Division 2. They had no 3rd rounder after the trade. How much help can Fox expect from this draft in 2017? And after going 6-10 and 3-13 in 2015 and 2016, respectively, it would seem this is a big year for Fox. Any thoughts he had of getting immediate help are shot, IMO.

Brad Biggs in the Tribune made a good point after the first 2 rounds. The Bears spent their most money in FA on a QB and TE (from Miami). Then, they proceed to take a QB and TE with their first two picks. Seems odd, especially in a draft that was considered strong defensively for a team that has numerous defensive holes.
This draft was essentially "Adios Foxy"

I am thinking the Bears management will take a page out of the Cubs' book....

This is exactly what the Cubs did while they were terrible. They hired rookie managers with inexpensive contracts to get them through the bad times and secured high draft picks.

Except that Fox is no rookie head coach. If I'm Fox, I'm not happy with the way the draft went. His future as Bears HC is bleak if the team struggles again next season.

Coach Fox needs a miracle, Dr. Miracle.

Minimal to no help in this draft for on the field success in 2017. Sure- the stage may be set for 2019 if Mitch turns out to be a franchise QB - but Fox wont last that long (without a miracle).

Reactions: Gene K. and pjjp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT