ADVERTISEMENT

How often did transfers used to happen?

PowerI66

Oct 11, 2012
It seems there are more than ever. Of course, there were family moves and such, but how often pre-2000s did you see big moves to better teams?

For football, I can't remember a significant transfer in the Central Illinois area until the last the last ten or so years. It could be I'm forgetting someone, but nothing stands out.

In our area, the 1980's did see several foreign exchange basketball players, all 7 feet or taller, have an impact on local hoops. The best was Uwe Blab, who helped Effingham get to the AA finals back in the 2-class basketball era and later played at Indiana University for Bobby Knight and in the NBA. His less skilled brother Olaf played at Charleston and then at the U of I for Lou Henson. Closest to home, Taylorville had Jens Kujawa, who also later played at the U of I. Seeing my school's 6'2" center standing next to Kujawa was comical.

Last edited:
It was almost non existent until about 15 years ago because the IHSA would hold strong that you had to sit out a season unless you had a rock solid and legit reason. Then families started challenging it….then attorneys came in and loopholes were found. Now with the College transfer portal being the new norm some of these players are trying to replicate it.

It was almost non existent until about 15 years ago because the IHSA would hold strong that you had to sit out a season unless you had a rock solid and legit reason. Then families started challenging it….then attorneys came in and loopholes were found. Now with the College transfer portal being the new norm some of these players are trying to replicate it.
I disagree. Transfers were happening in the 80’s and 90’s. There wasn’t social media to get the intormation out there. Heck there wasn’t internet out back then either.

I disagree. Transfers were happening in the 80’s and 90’s. There wasn’t social media to get the intormation out there. Heck there wasn’t internet out back then either.
With your username im sure you will appreciate this name...Tina Hutchinson. And that transfer was back in the late 70s.

With your username im sure you will appreciate this name...Tina Hutchinson. And that transfer was back in the late 70s.
I Googled her name, never had heard of her. Wow . Interesting story. Thanks

Reactions: jha618
Yeah but most of them sat a year, especially going private to private or public to private.

Northwestern University standout QB Zak Kustok's transfer from Lincolnway to Sandburg in the mid-90s was a real blockbuster back then. Probably would still be an eyebrow-raiser even now.

Northwestern University standout QB Zak Kustok's transfer from Lincolnway to Sandburg in the mid-90s was a real blockbuster back then. Probably would still be an eyebrow-raiser even now.
3 colleges too right? ND>Kansas>NW?

Reactions: johnndoe
At MS not very often. We would get one every couple of years.

Ha! I'll never forget Pete Boesen transferring from Loyola Academy to MS after his freshman year and going on to become the Sun Times Player of the Year in boys hoops and 3rd team Parade All-American in 1975.

I think transfers always happened, they just weren't reported. We now have social media where every move anyone makes is recorded and debated. All aspects of our lives are scrutinized so data trolls can sell the most valuable commodity in the world: Your Information.
It used to be when a student transferred, the school they left and the school they are going to would know. Now, everyone who wants to know, knows.

Very anecdotally, and this was well before Naz was a good program, but we had two transfers my senior year, about 18 years ago. One was deemed eligible and another wasn't. Neither one did (or would have) actually gotten playing time, so certainly no impact on the field, a - just kids who transfered for academic/social reasons/other reasons and wanted to play sports. I think the player who was allowed may have had an address change. The student who was denied did not and was also public to private transfer.

Sample size : 2. I also recall one pretty talented player transfer out after his freshman year, I believe to one of those strong programs. But I never knew if he had to sit a year or not for that - it's possible he may have since it would have just been his soph year and would have had 2 varsity years left. But I wouldn't be surprised if he got deemed eligible right away either.

Reactions: PowerI66
Yeah had been mainly hoops for many years but football is now challenging hoops for having as many school jumpers year in and year out.
I don’t know if you follow wrestling edgy, but nowadays you can go wherever you want, be ruled ineligible, then hire a lawyer, and you will be eligible immediately. There are no more rules that the IHSA can enforce. What’s the point of having transfer rules when you can move in with a coaches mom and be eligible to wrestle? I think the IHSA’s hands are tied more than ever, I don’t know what the next steps are.

Reactions: 4Afan and PowerI66
I played in the mid/late 80's. In my 4 years at Joliet Catholic, I cannot remember a single transfer that played football. I was fairly familiar with Providence during this time period, and i don't recall a football transfer there either.

Reactions: McCaravan
I played in the mid/late 80's. In my 4 years at Joliet Catholic, I cannot remember a single transfer that played football. I was fairly familiar with Providence during this time period, and i don't recall a football transfer there either.
Late 90s at SFHS, don’t remember any in Football but remember some in volleyball, they say a year.

I don’t know if you follow wrestling edgy, but nowadays you can go wherever you want, be ruled ineligible, then hire a lawyer, and you will be eligible immediately. There are no more rules that the IHSA can enforce. What’s the point of having transfer rules when you can move in with a coaches mom and be eligible to wrestle? I think the IHSA’s hands are tied more than ever, I don’t know what the next steps are.
Wasn't there just a "high profile" case of a wrestler being deemed ineligible after transferring this year ? Or was he able to get it reversed.

Wasn't there just a "high profile" case of a wrestler being deemed ineligible after transferring this year ? Or was he able to get it reversed.
I don’t think it’s officially reversed but there is a court order stay that is letting him compete until it is officially reviewed and ruled on. Season is over in a couple weeks though.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Judge ruled a temporary restraining order and IHSA went home with its tail between its legs unfortunately. Like I said, all you need is a lawyer and you wil be eligible.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
The right lawyer could get a kid eligible if he transfered this week with the right sob story in time for basketball playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT