ADVERTISEMENT

How long can the IHSA hold out...

ramblinman

Jul 18, 2001
...without playoff revenue?

They canceled hoops playoffs part way through them last March. If football doesn't make it as far as the playoffs this fall, what kind of financial shape is it in that it can operate without its primary source of income?

...without playoff revenue?

They canceled hoops playoffs part way through them last March. If football doesn't make it as far as the playoffs this fall, what kind of financial shape is it in that it can operate without its primary source of income?

I know it doesn't provide 100% of their normal revenues, but the idea floated out a shortened season starting late September early October with a shortened state series at least gets them something back. but I wonder if IHSA thinks it is worth because most likely there will be reduced attendance on top of the reduced number of total games.

How long can really anyone in the environment hold out? And do we have a line of others willing to take this mess on?
It seems like IHSA is being held hostage by others just like all of us. It would be hard to take the mess on without getting real and honest information regarding what is happening. We have either tested over 15% of the State of Illinois for covid if they are only counting a single test for a single person. So I do not understand how with any kind of contact tracing that the IDPH doesn't have any idea on how this is spreading among 0-18 year olds. They just need to be honest with us, if it is bad people will accept it, at least I would like to think so. If they (0-18) are not showing as a primary source of spreading the virus then let's get moving on to the fall.

Reactions: sporthog9er
I know it doesn't provide 100% of their normal revenues, but the idea floated out a shortened season starting late September early October with a shortened state series at least gets them something back. but I wonder if IHSA thinks it is worth because most likely there will be reduced attendance on top of the reduced number of total games.

Delaying the start means we will not play. If anything they needs to start on time and stop 2 or 3 weeks earlier.

Delaying the start means we will not play. If anything they needs to start on time and stop 2 or 3 weeks earlier.
Sorry for the cut and paste but this was behind a pay wall so in case people were not subscribed I just copied it.

From Friday Night Drive

This week has been quite the wild ride if you're even remotely invested in prep sports returning to Illinois this fall.

On Monday, programs were allowed to begin expanded workouts with the start of the IHSA's Phase 4 Return to Play Guidelines. Many began to schedule camps, tournaments and 7-on-7s.

By Thursday, those plans were thrown into flux as the IHSA rolled back its Phase 4 guidelines, prohibiting physical contact while citing an increase in positive cases of COVID-19 among high school teams around the state as the reason for the revisions.

Suddenly the prospect of no fall sports became very real again.

But New Jersey, one of the hardest hit states during the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic, provided a glimmer of hope Friday.

According to NorthJersey.com, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association released its Return to Play model for fall sports Friday with competition beginning Oct. 1 (Sept. 28 for girls tennis) and concluding Thanksgiving weekend. Practices for fall sports would begin Sept. 14.

For football, this means a six-week regular season followed by a truncated three-round postseason.

With 500 IHSA playoff eligible schools in football, teams would need to be divided into regional grouping of eight teams, and a few would have only seven. In a six-week season, every team wouldn't have the opportunity to play everyone else, but each class would have eight divisions, and only the division winner would advance to the postseason. Similar tiebreakers to the current system could be used to break any potential ties.

With the IHSA planning to make a decision on fall sports soon, New Jersey's plan got me thinking: How would this work in Illinois?

Let's start with football.

The six-week regular season would fit with Illinois' current model. The regular season would start the week of Oct. 2 and conclude with playoff pairings being announced Nov. 7.

Three playoff rounds would take us through the Thanksgiving weekend, with eight teams qualifying in each of the eight classes. Only 64 teams making the postseason isn't ideal, but that is likely the best-case scenario for football this fall.

Now for the other sports.

Perhaps the IHSA could be a bit more aggressive than New Jersey was here. How about a phased approach with golf, tennis and possibly cross country starting Sept. 1, with boys soccer and volleyball to follow in mid-September?

This approach would give officials time to determine how schools are coping with social distancing requirements and determine whether any spikes are occurring within schools because of increased athletic activity. It's entirely possible we see an early rise in positive cases and the thought of any fall sports goes right out the window.

And this plan doesn't account for the extremely high probability that a team will need to forfeit a contest or contests when the inevitable positive test crops up. There's still a ton to figure out.

But New Jersey's plan at least gives us a starting point, something to aim for. Right now, that's about the best we dare to hope for.

Many College Football Teams are going to Conference only.Many smaller FBS team rely on games vs the Power 5 as do FCS vs FBS to keep their programs going.Sadly if that happens which has already started it may cripple many football programs.I am just like Edgy & passionate about H.S. Football & many sports but do not to get flushed off here.It makes me mad but there is a agenda behind this.As far as High Schools it will be a killer too.What will happen? Will the CNN Flu get worse & keep getting pushed? Or will it take a back seat to thugs rioting & looting when the next career criminal gets killed by police in the act of breaking the law & disobeying commands? And will those same ppl attack innocent ppl who are already at the breaking point resulting in Civil War 2 or Marital Law? It’s all very possible
Still on this BS and @Gene K. likes the post.

You would think you two would learn.

You know, I engaged with you a few times on here Superfbfan because I thought you might be a reasonable guy. But now it’s kind of becoming clearer and clearer that you’re simply an ideologue. Possibly even a zealot.

The death count from Covid is at 135,000 Americans, currently. But that doesn’t matter at all, because there isn’t a body count high enough, in your eyes, to cause a postponement or cancellation of the high school football season. And why? It obvious after this post, it’s because your political party of choice told you early on in this pandemic that it was a hoax, nothing to worry about, would pass by Easter, etc. So you’re willing to cling to that notion and find any study, no matter how specious, to wave in our faces that kids under 18 just won’t spread this virus. No way, no how! They can’t spread it!

I want football in the fall, but I don’t know what the right thing to do is regarding school and contact sports. But I am dead certain of one thing. Everyone should be leery of people that try and tell us they 100 percent KNOW the correct course of action. And be especially leery of those people if they’re telling it to you on a football message board.

Many College Football Teams are going to Conference only.Many smaller FBS team rely on games vs the Power 5 as do FCS vs FBS to keep their programs going.Sadly if that happens which has already started it may cripple many football programs.I am just like Edgy & passionate about H.S. Football & many sports but do not to get flushed off here.It makes me mad but there is a agenda behind this.As far as High Schools it will be a killer too.What will happen? Will the CNN Flu get worse & keep getting pushed? Or will it take a back seat to thugs rioting & looting when the next career criminal gets killed by police in the act of breaking the law & disobeying commands? And will those same ppl attack innocent ppl who are already at the breaking point resulting in Civil War 2 or Marital Law? It’s all very possible
Attaboy....not everybody can pull off justification for return-to-play and murder in the same thought process.

Reactions: TheDude11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT