ADVERTISEMENT

How come Loyola is the only team ever to petition up to 8a?

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I have heard a lot over the years about how there should be an open class. Considering only one team has volunteered to play in the top class, that would probably be a disaster. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
I’d like to see 4 and 8 considered open divisions. Those two would be only teams considered large school state champions and small school state champs. 1-3 and 5-7 could be considered sectional champions. If you want the title opt in. First 32 in each to opt in are in. If you don’t fill the bracket it would go to enrollment until it’s filled. 1-32 no north and south in each.

I’d like to see 4 and 8 considered open divisions. Those two would be only teams considered large school state champions and small school state champs. 1-3 and 5-7 could be considered sectional champions. If you want the title opt in. First 32 in each to opt in are in. If you don’t fill the bracket it would go to enrollment until it’s filled. 1-32 no north and south in each.
What if you don’t get 32? Or what happens if a 5-4 is told “only way in is via the open division”?

After the 256 is set you open up the bidding. If you don’t fill 8 and 4 with bidders you fill the bracket by enrollment like it’s done now.

Totally agree. They are fearless and that starts at the top with Holecek. In many ways, he reminds me of Lenti when he was in the middle of his career…no fear, bring it on, to be the best you have to play the best.

I though MC also petitioned for a couple of years a while back? Can any Caravan confirm that?

After the 256 is set you open up the bidding. If you don’t fill 8 and 4 with bidders you fill the bracket by enrollment like it’s done now.
You're looking for a bunch of teams that would want to play in the 'open' divisions, but even now teams can petition up, and there are only a few that do it (seems like 3 or 4 get talked about here, are there more?). Some people here like to talk about wanting to "beat the biggest and best and nothing else matters". However, my guess is, if you could wave a magic wand and give 1000 random players/coaches/fans a 'whatever'-A championship trophy or an 8A quarter or semi-finalists, the response would be 95%+ 'whatever'-A.

Reactions: USD24 and eireog
You're looking for a bunch of teams that would want to play in the 'open' divisions, but even now teams can petition up, and there are only a few that do it (seems like 3 or 4 get talked about here, are there more?). Some people here like to talk about wanting to "beat the biggest and best and nothing else matters". However, my guess is, if you could wave a magic wand and give 1000 random players/coaches/fans a 'whatever'-A championship trophy or an 8A quarter or semi-finalists, the response would be 95%+ 'whatever'-A.
I’m sure it’ll never happen but I’d love to see it. What a treat it would be.

100% accurate.

Reactions: Gene K.
If you told me The Brook could drop to 1A I would be against it. Don't think the coaches would either. I know earlier in the summer our schedule had CICS Longwood on it and was later upgraded to Simeon. This was with a schedule I already saw us as underdogs in 5 games.

I know when we leaped from 7 to 8A our non-conference schedule added the two participants in the 8A championship game the year before. I got to see the immediate difference between the classes with no speculation.

Reactions: corey90
I'm sure there are plenty of CPL teams looking to petition down. Any chance we ever get something like that in place, at least for them?

Do you think with a continued CPL enrollment decline we will start to see more and more schools in the smaller classifications?

Do you think with a continued CPL enrollment decline we will start to see more and more schools in the smaller classifications?
I’d assume so. It will never happen but they need to start Co-Oping some of those lower Chicago Division teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT