ADVERTISEMENT

Head scratching games from the Outside looking in!

AlabamaTimberwolf

Silver Member
Aug 8, 2024
Some games that didn't go the way I thought:

Mahomet Seymour losing to Highland 42-41
Hardin-Calhoun 14-13 (I knew it would be close because of last seasons game but...)
Galena 34-9 over Morrison (Did Morrison's decision to change their helmets cause a curse?)
Pittsfield 14-7 over Athens (I knew it would be close because Pittsfield's D was good against 5A Jax)

Can anyone share articles on these games or have knowledge of these games?

Schools that are possibly fading away:

Arcola 0-2

Teams that are in a decline:

Reed-Custer 0-2

Teams that are surprisingly 0-2:

Athens
Mt Carmel

Some games that didn't go the way I thought:

Mahomet Seymour losing to Highland 42-41
Hardin-Calhoun 14-13 (I knew it would be close because of last seasons game but...)
Galena 34-9 over Morrison (Did Morrison's decision to change their helmets cause a curse?)
Pittsfield 14-7 over Athens (I knew it would be close because Pittsfield's D was good against 5A Jax)

Can anyone share articles on these games or have knowledge of these games?

Schools that are possibly fading away:

Arcola 0-2

Reed-Custer 0-2

Teams that are surprisingly 0-2:

Athens
Mt Carmel

Athens lost both their 1,000 yard rushers from '23 to graduation and only has 2 starters back on offense. It may take a year for them to reload, but they are a solid program.

Reed-Custer 0-2
Reed-Custer definitely in a decline relative to a couple years ago.
They had a once a generation type class where they were in the top two or three 3A teams for a two year stretch, but those days are over - for now. They had Byron basically beat @ Byron both years only for the Tigers to make incredible comebacks both times.
It remains to be seen if any of the excitement that was generated in the youth levels by that group will carry over to high school.

Reactions: AlabamaTimberwolf
Highland has developed a really nice program with all of the amenities. Lots of money up there.
All.... Friendly people as well. The Corner Keg is a must stop before a game. Lot of fans hanging out. Had one walk up to me as a howdy with a free bottle of ice cold Stag. I managed to knock it down. (but it wasn't easy) Ratsy

They had a once a generation type class where they were in the top two or three 3A teams for a two year stretch, but those days are over - for now. They had Byron basically beat @ Byron both years only for the Tigers to make incredible comebacks both times.
It remains to be seen if any of the excitement that was generated in the youth levels by that group will carry over to high school.
That's what they call "program wins". Culture and character count. Wilmington at Seneca 2023 playoffs for example ⚡🔥

Can someone please explain what has happened to Lake Zurich? After multiple great playoff runs, they got beaten down twice. 31-0 to Fremd and 35-21 to Glenbrook (and were down 35-7 with a few minutes left)

Reactions: Anomalyout28
All.... Friendly people as well. The Corner Keg is a must stop before a game. Lot of fans hanging out. Had one walk up to me as a howdy with a free bottle of ice cold Stag. I managed to knock it down. (but it wasn't easy) Ratsy
As you move south, lots of Stag signs outside of bars/taverns. About 30 years ago, I worked temporarily in Washington County. It had a town, DuBois, of around 250 with a bar with a huge Stag sign that I used to frequent.

Many small towns in the state have dried up due to one thing or another. My hometown lost a coal mine and 3/4 of the jobs at a power plant. Now they play 8 man football.

• Sad
Reactions: Gene K.
I have a friend that attended the first Athens game (with Maroa) and he said they look "terrible" compared to last year and he doubts they will win more than 2 games if that. His opinion, not mine. And he tends to follow the Sangamo conference and has for a few years.

The Keg is one of many local watering holes. Never a bad choice, Rat.

Highland was down 20-0 at half and took the lead 28-27 with 2:15 left in the 4Q and then then extended the lead to 35-27 with :45 left in the game. Mahomet went on to tie the game to force overtime where neither team scored in the first OT.

Mahomet scored first in 2OT and couldn’t convert the 2 point try. Highland scored and kicked the XP to win.

Some former Highland grads have created the Highland Sports Network which you can follow on Facebook or YouTube to stream the games for free this year. They have a nice broadcast but the video could maybe use improvements as they get their feet under them.

You can check the end of the game out on the Highland Sports Network.

Very nice comeback win and not to mention - Coach Jimmy Warnecke’s 100th win as a head coach!

As you move south, lots of Stag signs outside of bars/taverns. About 30 years ago, I worked temporarily in Washington County. It had a town, DuBois, of around 250 with a bar with a huge Stag sign that I used to frequent.
All.... Looked it up. (what else is there to do on a Monday morning☺️) The Mule Barn and the hanging sign is still outside. Couldn't get the picture loaded. 🍺 Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
All.... Looked it up. (what else is there to do on a Monday morning☺️) The Mule Barn and the hanging sign is still outside. Couldn't get the picture loaded. 🍺 Ratsy
Do you remember Detroit, a little town in Illinois, that use to have gallon milk shakes?

Do you remember Detroit, a little town in Illinois, that use to have gallon milk shakes?
My wife grew up in Calhoun County. Several ways to get to her parent's house from Sangamon County but one took you right through Detroit. A gas station seemed to be the main attraction if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlabamaTimberwolf
'free' probably had less to do with a friendly gesture and more to do with 'can't give this stuff away'. Growing up, my good friend's father drank warm Stag from a can every night like it was water, which, i guess, is a fair description...
On your way to the White House Tavern in DuBois, you must have passed (and possibly frequented) the Jolly Acre with its Busch beer sign at the crossroad of Rt 127 and DuBois Blacktop Road. Not sure how long your temporary stay was, but hopefully long enough to become a Nashville Hornet basketball fan and a post-game celebrant at Bob's Tavern on Main Street (just west of the only flashing 4-way red light).
Class 0f '84

'free' probably had less to do with a friendly gesture and more to do with 'can't give this stuff away'. Growing up, my good friend's father drank warm Stag from a can every night like it was water, which, i guess, is a fair description...

On your way to the White House Tavern in DuBois, you must have passed (and possibly frequented) the Jolly Acre with its Busch beer sign at the crossroad of Rt 127 and DuBois Blacktop Road. Not sure how long your temporary stay was, but hopefully long enough to become a Nashville Hornet basketball fan and a post-game celebrant at Bob's Tavern on Main Street (just west of the only flashing 4-way red light).
Class 0f '84
I was there doing football season and had time to go to one Nashville home game.

I was in the Jolly Acre several times! Coming back from the Murphysboro-Rochester game last year, I drove right by it. Unfortunately, it has closed and looked like it may have been so for quite a while.

Reactions: William Foster
I was there doing football season and had time to go to one Nashville home game.

I was in the Jolly Acre several times! Coming back from the Murphysboro-Rochester game last year, I drove right by it. Unfortunately, it has closed and looked like it may have been so for quite a while.
Closed probably more than 15 years ago...and I remember the days with a corner parking lot filled well past midnight.

My wife grew up in Calhoun County. Several ways to get to her parent's house from Sangamon County but one took you right through Detroit. A gas station seemed to be the main attraction if I remember correctly.
Back in my high school days we would take road trips and one such trip took us through tiny Detroit and its Gallon milk shake lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT