ADVERTISEMENT

Half of Americans Don't Want Their Sons Playing Football, Poll Shows

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
I blame the synthetic estrogen that's seeping into our drinking water.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-03-01/news/0802290478_1_birth-control-pills-hormones-synthetic-estrogen

LINK

It is a BS poll. Looks like the estrogen has had an effect more on the people who don't have young kids, so pretty meaningless.

The poll also showed a generational divide, with 56 percent of those under age 35 saying they'd want their son to play. That's the highest of any demographic group and almost twice the percentage, 29 percent, of those 65 and older. Democrats were slightly more likely to oppose their children participating in the game than Republicans, 52 percent to 47. Even though the National Football League has courted women as viewers, 58 percent of female respondents say they don't want their boys playing football compared with 41 percent of men.

Originally posted by Thedoctor50:

It is a BS poll. Looks like the estrogen has had an effect more on the people who don't have young kids, so pretty meaningless.

The poll also showed a generational divide, with 56 percent of those under age 35 saying they'd want their son to play. That's the highest of any demographic group and almost twice the percentage, 29 percent, of those 65 and older. Democrats were slightly more likely to oppose their children participating in the game than Republicans, 52 percent to 47. Even though the National Football League has courted women as viewers, 58 percent of female respondents say they don't want their boys playing football compared with 41 percent of men.
Doctor:

Good post. But none of the statistics you have here surprise me at all. The 56% of those under 35 is very concerning because that is the future of the game. If that number doesn't turn around the game will be in serious trouble.

It doesn't surprise me that more than half of the Democrats polled are opposed to letting their sons play. It was a Democrat here in Illinois who wanted to introduce legislation to restrict practices, etc. I would also guess that the overwhelming majority of the 58% of women opposed vote Democrat as well.

Now that this nonsense is finally hitting home for some people MAYBE they will finally start paying attention to who they vote for and who is running, etc. Now they are coming after football...and they aren't going to stop unless they don't get voted in. That is up to the people. That is up to all of us as well if you want to see this game go on. Democrats are taking away a LOT of our freedoms and I am telling you guys, you had better start paying attention and take action where you can. I have been telling people this for a long time.

People are going out of their way like never before to make the game safer. People are being watched and have to take good care to make sure a kid isn't unnecessarily put in harm's way. But regardless, you have people who want to ban this game and if enough of them gain power, make NO mistake, they will.

The stats I posted were straight from the article, I probably should have used quotes. Surveys can be taken with slanted questions etc. That only 29% of people > 65 would let their kid play is highly suspect to me. That probably means that the 56% of < 35 is low also.

There has always been a decent % of people who don't want their kids playing football, mainly women. There were some CPS schools back in the old days that did not have football due to demographics.

These articles get published to usually push an agenda.

I do agree with you that the D's are after our freedom.

I'd like to see a poll that asks if you played football and you think you turned out ok and are a productive member of society.
bet those #s are pretty high...

So you doctors think this has to do with a political agenda and not brain injuries?

What medical school let you two jokers in?

Originally posted by Teetime:
So you doctors think this has to do with a political agenda and not brain injuries?

To the Democrats, YES it IS about a political agenda. I have repeatedly said on this forum that those people are trying to make this a political issue. Where have you been, in a vacuum?

Democrats don't give a damn about those kids. If this can further their political agenda and get votes for them you bet your ass they will jump on it like they do every issue that that has the potential to help them politically. Wake up! They are the ones trying to make this political, not guys like us. Which one of us said it has nothing to do with brain injuries? Can you point that out somewhere here?

The issue is bigger than just concussions. It's about freedom. If these politicians don't like something, they don't want anyone to do it. Look at the clown may of New York. He tried to ban large soft drinks, saying they are unhealthy. Isn't it up to the people themselves to decide what they want to eat or drink? Because he didn't like them, he felt no one should have them.

At the same time these same people continuously tell us that smoking is bad for us. Sure it's bad. But if smoking is so bad why aren't these same people trying to ban cigarettes altogether? Oh yeah that's right, because it brings in billions and billions of tax dollars each year. They are a bunch of hypocrites and if you really think they actually have these kids in mind you are extremely naive. Again, wake up.

What school, PERIOD, would let a clown like you in?

Come on now, Doc.

You have two fairly long posts and have only spoken to the politics of the issue. Why not address the real reason that over 50% of people don't want their sons playing football?

It's so much easier to deflect and make a ridiculous political argument than to talk about the real reason.

Our sons are suffering permanent brain injuries. We need to find a fix. We all love football. Let's make it safe and not argue about politics while our game dwindles away.

Or, you can run for congress and go to Washington and just keep doing what you are doing. You would fit right in.

Originally posted by Dr. Mirakle:
Originally posted by Teetime:

At the same time these same people continuously tell us that smoking is bad for us. Sure it's bad. But if smoking is so bad why aren't these same people trying to ban cigarettes altogether? Oh yeah that's right, because it brings in billions and billions of tax dollars each year. They are a bunch of hypocrites and if you really think they actually have these kids in mind you are extremely naive. Again, wake up.
Heaven help you if you're hanging around, selling untaxed cigarettes.

Here's a tip: if your boss tells you to bring the hammer down on some dude selling loosies outside a convenience store, tell him to get his F'in priorities straight.

Mirakle,

If you think it's just Democrats that are wrong with this country, then you are part of the problem. Wake up and stop being so biased all the time.

A Conservative: Someone who believes you should be free to do whatever you want to do, as long as you don't unfairly hurt someone else.

A Liberal: Someone who believes you should be free to do whatever you want to do, as long as it's mandatory.

I am actually quite optimistic about football's future. Head trauma in any activity is a problem, of course. But the recent self-imposed rule changes and protocols are making football safer, from a head trauma standpoint, than it has been in a long time, possibly ever.

Well, more than half of Americans are idiots - so the numbers aren't too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT