ADVERTISEMENT

CPL State Playoff Games

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road (city playoffs or state playoffs???). Time grabs you by the wrist and directs you where to go (so many choices in the CPL), so make the best of this test and don't ask why (just accept your Gately dogs), it's not a question, but a lesson learned in time (CPL vs. the state), it's something unpredictable (the motto of CPL), but in the end is right (unless it's left), we hope you've had the time of your life (if you are anywhere except Rockne).

Let's go to all of the picks!!!!

Class 1A:
Raby Raiders @ Fulton Steamers

As an avid mighty ducks fan, this is one of the easiest picks that I have ever made. Fulton Reed may have only been able to hit one of every five slap shots, but the Steamers will be shooting shots up the middle and to the outside, and they will raid the Raiders in this game. Fulton wins big!

Class 2A:
Julian Jaguars @ Wilmington Wildcats

One team needs to Show Me How it Works. Whether it's the Penetration into the backfield by their D-Line, the Good Hands of their WRs, or the Razzle Dazzle of their play calls, it's Hard to Say who will win this game. Oh well, all of these musical references are from the soundtrack of Wildcats, and that is Wilmington's name, so I'll take the Wildcats.

North Lawndale Phoenix @ Deer Creek Mackinaw Chiefs
When I get off of this mountain, you know where I wanna go? Straight down I-55 and up through Yuton and Carlock, to Little Bessie, that girl I once knew, and she told me to just to come on by if there's anything she could do.....Up on Deer Creek, she sends me, if I spring a leak (well we are not in CPL stadiums, so the toilets work), she mends me. I don't have to speak, she defends me (unlike North Lawndale), a drunkard's dream if I ever did see one (no drinking until after the game please)! Deer Creek gets a big win.

Catalyst Maria Wolves @ Byron Tigers
It's like a tear in the hands of a western man (western part of the state that is). Tell you all about salt, carbon and water (those don't sound like regular concession stand items). But a tear to a Chinese man (there's Chinese food at the game?), he'll tell you about sadness or sorrow (he has seen Catalyst Maria). It's time to listen to Jefferson Airplane and Ride the Tiger!!

Carver Challengers @ Lisle Lions
Weeheeheehee dee heeheeheehee weeoh aweem away. Weeheeheehee dee heeheeheehee weeoh aweem away. In the jungle (Lisle?), the Mighty Jungle (Lisle?), the Lions will roam tonight!!!!

Elmwood Brimfield Trojans @ Clark Eagles
We're glad to see so many of you lovely people here today...who have chosen to join us here in the Palace known as Rockne at this time. We do sincerely hope you'll all enjoy the show (there's always a show at Rockne, just not great food). And please remember people, that no matter who you are, and what you do to live, thrive, and survive (watch CPL football!!!!!!!!!), there are some things that make us all the same(screaming at the refs!!!!). Take Jake and Elwood (man I hope Elmwood has a player named Elwood) to deliver a lot of blues on the Clark Eagles.

Bogan Bengals at Genoa Kingston Cogs
Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing (why the hell is Bogan trying to pass). Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago....When will they ever learn (run the damn ball), when will they ever learn (for God's sake, quit trying to blindly throw the slant)! Take the Genoa Kingston trio to roll in this game.

Sullivan Tigers at Richmond Burton Rockets
Guitar.............ah ah ooh ooh, ah ah ooh ooh, white lights (why isn't this game at night), strange city, mad music all around (hey, that marching band is pretty good). Midnight street magic (please tell me there are security guards to help with the endless traffic after the game), crazy people, crazy sound (it's football!!!!!). Jack Flash, rocket man, Sgt. Pepper and the band , Ziggy, Benny and the Jets (those are the alumni being honored at half time), take a ROCKET, we just gotta fly!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds at Stillman Valley Cardinals
When the devil's knocking at my door (why is the locker room door stuck?), when I'm broken and I'm battle worn (sounds like HP after the game), down in the valley on my knees (begging for the game to end), yeah they're, yeah they're with me. Ain't they amazing, amazing, out of their league (CPL's in trouble), and ain't it crazy, crazy, this happened to them...They're calling holding, holding, hard to believe (not really), that they're, that they're with me. Take High Valley (or Stillman Valley) to roll in this one.

Dixon Dukes at Phillips Wildcats
All the dogs are brown, (all the dogs are brown at Gately!), and the sky is gray (it is a 4:00 start), I've been for a walk (been for a walk to the concession stand), on a fall day (on a crisp fall day). I'd be safe and warm (Dixon won't be either in this game), if I was at Lane (nope, colder up there). CPL be dreaming! CPL be dreaming! on such a fall day!!!! Stopped into a bathroom, I passed along the way. Well, I got down on my knees(got down on my knees) and began to pray (began to pray). You know the toilet's overflowed (toilet's overflowed), they know I can't stay away! CPL be dreaming! CPL be dreaming!! Take Michelle Phillips and the Mamas and the Papas to win this one in a close battle.

Bulls Prep Bulls at Glenbard South Raiders
In past posts, I have shown my love to Paul Revere and the Raiders. No need to reiterate the past in this one, Glenbard South has a running clock at halftime and rolls into round 2.

Payton Grizzlies at Rochelle Hubs
Rochelle, ma belle, These are words that go together well, My Rochelle, Rochelle, ma belle, Sont les mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, Tres bien ensemble, we love you, we love you, we love you (well, at least your nickname). Rochelle takes care of business

Brooks Eagles at Rockford Boylan Catholic
I refuse to take any team that reminds me of the Jim Boylan era of Bulls basketball. Nope, won't do it, Brooks in an upset

Sarah Goode Knights at Nazareth Roadrunners
If you're on a highway and Road Runner goes "beep, beep (drive home safely) Just step aside or you might end up in a heap(like the Knights in this game), Road Runner, Road Runner runs down the road all day(for about 400 yards), Even the coyote can't make him change his ways(there's coyotes on the field!!!!!). Road Runner, the coyote's after you,
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through(don't worry, coyotes can't help the knights in this one). Road Runner, the coyote's after you(the knights won't be), Road Runner, if he catches you you're through. Sarah Goode may win the coin toss, but that's about it.

Gary Comer Catamounts at Marmion Cadets
I'm getting tired, take the Cadets!

Morgan Park Mustangs at Peoria Lions
I've found my second wind. All you wanna do is run around Sally (the left end is weak), run Sally run! All you wanna do is run around Sally (the right end is weak), run Sally run! Oh Mustang Sally, guess you better slow your mustang down (no one will in this game). Mustangs pull off a big win on the road.

Mather Rangers at Deerfield Warriors
Unlike my friend @thecpsblog, it does MATHER who they are playing today. It isn't a CPL team from their conference, so Deerfield gets a big win!

Crystal Lake Central @ Amundsen Vikings
I'm tired again (was there always this many CPS games in round 1?). Crystal Lake wins big and then enjoys some Crystal Light iced tea after the game.

Kennedy Crusaders at Lemont No Nicknames
Lemont still hasn't picked a new nickname, but they don't need one today. They win big!

Simeon Wolverines @ Oak Lawn Richards
This game made me hem and haw back and forth. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth (like the scoring in this game). Richards is in Oak Lawn, and they play on grass, that's gotta be a good sign. They win after Simeon misses a field goal at the end of regulation (oh wait, they won't even try the field goal). Richards wins by 2

Centennial Cougars at Kenwood Broncos
I'm literally about to fall asleep. Time to saw some logs, so I'll take the Wood.

Willowbrook Warriors at Whitney Young Dolphins
I've set my noise machine to Babbling Brook, so I'll take Willowbrook

Palatine Pirates at Taft Eagles
Sounds of snoring..........sounds of snoring..........loud bang!!!! Order, order in the court! Why am I dreaming about a court case???? Wait, is that Bill Taft presiding as the judge???? Well, that's a sign, take Taft, I'm going back to sleep.

If I missed a game, I'm sorry. That was exhausting.

Class 1A:

Fulton's folly was dubbed so, because people doubted the ability of the ship to stay afloat. Surely (RIP schurzly), Fulton won't doubt a CPL opponent's ability to compete? Give me Fulton late.

Class 2A:

Battle of Big Cats! Jaguars are known to have the 5th strongest jaw strength in all of the big cats. They have a better shot at taking a bite out of crime then upsetting Wilmington. Wilmington Rolls

Deer Creek reminds me of and awful dad joke I heard the other day... Everyone knows the zip code for Beverly Hills right? Sure 90210. But do you know the zip code of Dawson's Creek? 90108... for our lives to be over. I'm sure it's just as bad reading it as hearing a dad try and sing it to you. Anyways all that bad dad humor makes me think of dad strength too, no way the Phoenix out wrestle Dawson's Deer Creek.

When I hear Catalyst I think explosions or large chemical reactions. When I hear Byron's I think of hot dogs near Wrigley. You'd need to add chili and cheese to get an explosion from that. Give me the Wolves.

Challengers will be challenged to gain yards here. Give me Lisssssssle.

Elmwood Brimfield Trojans @ Clark Eagles
The mighty beacon that is Coach Percy went from top of the mountain going in to week 8 to an awful matchup against Elmwood-Brimfield. Everyone I'm sure is counting out CPL and of course our Clark Eagles. But I say not so fast my friends. Coach has his team getting healthy again and they are going to use that big beef to ground and pound those Trojans into submission. Go get em this week, Coach!

The Bengals seems like they have found knew life with Chase igniting that offense, oh wait Bogan not Cinci? Well it won't make a difference playing against the Jetson's and their futuristic offense with George and Elroy. Go Cogs!

Sull, whoops RB just scored and the game hasn't even started. Sure it won't stop either. Rocket Up!

Stillman was a famous boxing trainer, Hyde Park is home to the University of Chicago one of America's Top 5 Universities. Brains vs. Brawn. In every day life you probably have to take the brain, in this one I'll go with Brawn.

Oh Phillips the only team to get any respect out of the CPL, don't fail us now! Wildcats roar

And now your starting line up.... That's about when the Bulls chances will be over. Raiders Roll

All I can picture is, is this annoying woman named Rochelle telling everyone about how awesome her Hubs is. Vomit. Give me the Grizz

If this game was at the majestic smurf turf of Brooks, I'd give them a chance. It isn't, so the Catholics will put it on them, just keep it clean Fr. Nelson...

Um, Naz. Goodenough

Comer Catamounts Cadets, Can't C this being close either.

Top speed of a Mustang? 163 mph Top Speed of a Lion? 50 mph doesn't seem like this will be close.

You've all been eagerly waiting for it, I know it. For the last time this year, here it goes.... It doesn't Mather what you think. Give me the Field of Deer to overwhelm the Park Ranger.

Oh baby, Winnemac home game for the Vikings, guess I get to ride the rail again. See you all there for CLC rout.

Kennedy Crusaders at Lemont No Nicknames
Nothing? They really can't come up with anything? Is it because every nickname is offensive these days? You know what's not offensive? Missile Pigs! Let's go Kennedy!

Simeon is lucky it's clear that this is the Oak Lawn Richards, otherwise that might have not taken this game serious thinking it was Chicago Richards right down the street. Simeon with fair warning is properly prepared to pull it out. Wolverines

Cougar hunting is such a great weekend activity. Look for Kenwood to do some mounting.

Willowbrook Warriors Whitney, the great www. Don't need to be in person for this one. You can use the ol interwebs to find this gem, check out the awesome live YouTube stream Whitney puts on of their games. The announcer is the Qb's dad so just ignore all the calls for missed holdings and blocks in the back. When dad's got your back you'll find a way. Whitney swims on.

Pirates are such a great part of world history, drunk swashbuckling, stealing their way to infamy. Taft is such a great part of American history with being a justice, president, getting stuck in a bathtub. Add in the Eagle nickname and there's nothing more American history. Who can pick against America? Commies that's who. No way I'm becoming a Russian comrade. America wins!

It's the playoffs!!! Still a huge miss for CPL teams to not schedule these home games on Thursday afternoon or Saturday morning, but we get what we get. On to the picks!

Class 1A:

Wasn't Raby winning games in the 4 or 5a bracket a few years ago? No one shrinks schools like CPS.
STEAMERS!

Class 2A:

Battle of the cats! Instead of a football, maybe they can play with a giant ball of yarn?
Jags!

I find it hard to pick against teams with hyphens, slashes, or co op in the name. I also always go North in a battle of directions. Deer season starts early!
Phoenix!

The dude that handed me my Dunkin Donuts coffee this morning was named Byron. Seemed like he liked his job. Good enough for me.
Byron!

George Washington Carver invented a ton of stuff. One of the great American inventors. Unfortunately, I don't think he invented a solution to solve the Lisle offense.
Lions!

Elmwood-Brimfield Trojans @ Clark Eagles
Normally, I would say the 3 hour drive to play at Rockne would be a huge hurdle for the visitors. Unfortunately, I think the wind is out of the sails for Clark after the loss to Payton, and they are regrouping for next year.
Trojans!

If you are a Jetsons fan, Spacely Sprockets vs Cogswell Cogs was the real grudge match. This is not that.
COGS!

To the moon!
Rockets!

Give me the real birds over the mythical ones. No time for fantasy in the playoffs.
Cards!

Welcome to Gately Dixon. Make sure you grab a Gately dog before you get on the bus for home.
Cats!

I can hear the faint sounds of the Allen Parsons Project now....
Bulls!

If you thought I was picking against a team named the Hubs, you'd be wrong!
Hubs!

I thought this game was on the Smurf Turf? Either way, Fly Eagles Fly!
Brooks!

Sorry Sarah, you thought it was bad last week against Taft. This time the running clock starts in the 2nd quarter.
Beep Beep!

Cadets have short hair, they will never understand the Combovers...
Cats!

Peoria likes to score a lot of points, MP better make sure the horses are fed and watered for this one!
Mustangs!

Fenger!

Crystal Lake Central gets treated to a beautiful stadium setting on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I hope they take time to soak it all in before they put it on Amundsen.
Crystal Gale!

Kennedy Missile Pigs at Lemont No Nicknames
UPSET SPECIAL! Missile Pigs Roll!
Pigs!

I've been picking Chicago Richards all year thinking they are Oak Lawn Richards. No need to stop now.
Richards!

Horsepower!
Wood!

Have there ever been so many W's in a matchup? I love alliteration. How about
The WINNING Willowbrook Warriors!
Brook!

The pirate mistakes the eagle for a parrot and puts it on his shoulder. The eagle is not amused.
Taft!

I hear the Esquire on Elston is running a special for the Palatine fans heading in for the game. Book early rooms starting going quick on Friday nights, especially on a holiday weekend like this one.

So much talk about IHSA Playoffs, that today's CPL Playoff Game has completely snuck under the radar! That's right, when the rest of the state zigs, the CPL zags! IIt's Glorious playoff action tonight at Lane Stadium!
Westinghouse vs Lane Tech.
Westinghouse colors are Kelly Green and Gold,. Lane colors are Myrtle and Gold.
As far as I can tell, there is no discernable difference between the greens. Seems a bit pretentious to call green Myrtle. Of course, how pretentious can it be to name your primary school color after a 1940's Grandma?
Pick: THE HOUSE!

Reactions: thecpsblog
So much talk about IHSA Playoffs, that today's CPL Playoff Game has completely snuck under the radar! That's right, when the rest of the state zigs, the CPL zags! IIt's Glorious playoff action tonight at Lane Stadium!
As far as I can tell, there is no discernable difference between the greens. Seems a bit pretentious to call green Myrtle. Of course, how pretentious can it be to name your primary school color after a 1940's Grandma?
Well, I don't know about you, but I never come into this bar before 10 o'clock (well that can't be true, that's past my bed time). But I thought what the hell, why not? I don't know about you, but I never walk up and talk to a stranger but when I saw you, I had to, just had to (great conversations with the very friendly security that is employed by Lane stadium)....What's your dream job (ummmmm, CPL stadium director, duh!), girl where's your hometown (Chi-town!), Yeah what makes your world spin around and around (Wednesday 3:45 CPL Football!!!), are you down to get out of here too (are we going to Gately???), tell me everything until there's nothing I don't know about you.

Normally when I give a musical reference, I always take that team. But for the first time ever, it's time to pick against the reference. Pick against Chris Lane and the Lane Tech (what's their nickname now?). Take the House!

P.S. @GhostOfTheGhhost did you know that the G in Albert G Lane stands for Grannis (eerily close to Grannys)

Seeing as this game will be played at Lane and it will/should be raining all night I bet the sights in the stadium will be more fantastic than usual. With no scoreboard lights to actually view, shoddy field and plumbing, and the typical CPL crew that has zero interest in being out there for a long period of time, expect this game to be like the washrooms, completely unattended to. Westinghouse 8 Lane 6 in a 20 minute "full time" game.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Julian is 2A now? Wow...I remember when they were in 6A (out of 6 classes) in the 80’s and 90’s when Coach Smith had them rolling...

Reactions: Schwab54
I just answered my own question from Twitter. Palatine wins 35-17 but from Mike O’Brien’s Twitter feed , Taft had a 17-14 lead in the 3rd quarter.

I just answered my own question from Twitter. Palatine wins 35-17 but from Mike O’Brien’s Twitter feed , Taft had a 17-14 lead in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, they obviously took them too lightly and didn't get serious until the 3rd quarter.

Reactions: eireog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT