ADVERTISEMENT

Had to redo my Preseason Class 6A and 5A Top 10 polls

I believe it is because they are no longer classified as an all boys school (they still were last year) So their enrollment is not doubled and then multipled. With the girls from Queen of Peace now in the mix it is just multiplied

I believe it is because they are no longer classified as an all boys school (they still were last year) So their enrollment is not doubled and then multipled. With the girls from Queen of Peace now in the mix it is just multiplied
exactly

But Laurence wasn't an all boys school last year. They were coed. Frankly, I think the IHSA unfairly doubled their enrollment last year and they are correcting the issue this year.

Here is what I wrote about this here last October:

"Here is what is currently on the IHSA website about St. Laurence:

Enrollment: 1022 (B) / 1686.30 (multiplied)

Conference(s): Chicago Catholic

Nickname(s): Vikings (boys), (girls)

Note the (B) on the enrollment line? That means their enrollment as a single gender boys school has been doubled before it was multiplied to 1686.30. So, according to the above, Laurence is still a single gender school of 511 boys. Of course, they are not. They are a coed school, which the IHSA acknowledges above in the nickname(s) line and elsewhere on its website.

Currently, the IHSA website shows Laurence as a 6A school with a multiplied enrollment of 1686.30. However, that number is based on their last year all male enrollment being doubled. Depending on what their actual coed enrollment is before the multiplier, Laurence could be a 5A school.

And what about their girls teams? According to the IHSA volleyball assignments, St. Laurence is in 3A for girls volleyball. Again according to the IHSA, schools with enrollments of between 515 and 1,324 are in 3A for girls volleyball. How can Laurence be in 3A in GVB if their enrollment for football classification purposes is 1686.30?"

Last edited:
Thanks for the color, guys. I assumed that they adjusted the enrollment number last year, when they took in the Queen of Peace girls. This year's frosh class is coed from the start, maybe that's why IHSA got around to adjusting it this year.

Your enrollment for that year is determined by the previous year when they were an all boys school. So last year the boys were not affected by the girls this year they are. It was not unfair they went off of the previous year like they should have.

Not sure how they figured out girls enrollments last year unless they used the numbers for Queen of Peace.

And for the record, I'd rather play up in 6A. We'll be young this year, but in a couple of years, we can definitely make some noise regardless of classification.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Your enrollment for that year is determined by the previous year when they were an all boys school. So last year the boys were not affected by the girls this year they are. It was not unfair they went off of the previous year like they should have.

Not sure how they figured out girls enrollments last year unless they used the numbers for Queen of Peace.

That makes no sense. Laurence was a coed school last year. The IHSA should not have doubled their 2016 enrollment.

Last year, Laurence girls were placed in 3A in girls basketball and 3A in girls volleyball. The year before that, Peace was in 3A. BUT, Laurence had no freshman girls last year, and all they did was accept transfers from Peace, so the number of girls at Laurence last year had to be less than what Peace had the year before. Yet, the girls were still in the same 3A class as Peace was the year before?

This doesn't pass the smell test.

Weren’t they moved from 5A to 6A because they made it to the semi finals?? Or how ever that works

That makes no sense. Laurence was a coed school last year. The IHSA should not have doubled their 2016 enrollment.

Last year, Laurence girls were placed in 3A in girls basketball and 3A in girls volleyball. The year before that, Peace was in 3A. BUT, Laurence had no freshman girls last year, and all they did was accept transfers from Peace, so the number of girls at Laurence last year had to be less than what Peace had the year before. Yet, the girls were still in the same 3A class as Peace was the year before?

This doesn't pass the smell test.
He’s 100% correct. I can’t speak for the girls but football’s enrollment numbers are based off the previous school years numbers. Last year (‘17-‘18 school year) StL football numbers were based off the ‘16-‘17 school year. In ‘16-‘17 they were an all boys school so their numbers were treated as such.

Now with girls in the school it actually brings those numbers down but this is the first year that applies for football. Actually it’s even more so in StL’s favor since they are about 75% male.

He’s 100% correct. I can’t speak for the girls but football’s enrollment numbers are based off the previous school years numbers. Last year (‘17-‘18 school year) StL football numbers were based off the ‘16-‘17 school year. In ‘16-‘17 they were an all boys school so their numbers were treated as such.

Now with girls in the school it actually brings those numbers down but this is the first year that applies for football. Actually it’s even more so in StL’s favor since they are about 75% male.

So, using that logic, if a coed school went single gender, the school's enrollment wouldn't be doubled in the first year they were single gender. Makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT