ADVERTISEMENT

Had this one last night on the EDGY Nation forum....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
See Michael O'Brien's tweet just minutes ago....I had this last night on the EDGY Nation side....looking more and more like a spring shortened season lately...

Stay tuned and subscribe to the EDGY Nation and never miss a a thing

Second image says 8 week seasons so not sure why he references a 7 game football season?

Also says state series.... is that same number of rounds or shortened?

Anything being played in the fall will be cancelled in a couple of weeks unless the return to school policy changes.

What about Spring sports in this scenario if they are affected no way!! They already lost a season!

Here is what we have heard from Athletic Director's Assoc. A contingency plan would begin with winter sports starting in December, fall sports will compete in March and April with Spring sports May and June. All seasons reduced and it sounds most likely no playoffs in football.

I say bring it to spring and let’s play three Football games a week like the old Illinois playoff system. Spring athletes can play lacrosse, track and baseball on Tuesday’s Thursday’s and Sunday’s. Edgy will write a great series of blogs about how the Illini student athletes really are the toughest in the nation and we parents will swell w pride. Smiling toothsome smiles behind our dingy year old masks.

You all are assuming that this will be over by the spring

Last edited by a moderator:
horrible idea. not sure how you can impact spring sports twice.

Playing girls soccer and lacrosse march 1 - april 20th, when there will likely be snow on the ground for half of it. Completely insane and probably a Title IX violation.

Reactions: Gene K.
horrible idea. not sure how you can impact spring sports twice.

Playing girls soccer and lacrosse march 1 - april 20th, when there will likely be snow on the ground for half of it. Completely insane and probably a Title IX violation.
Every single scenario is going to be questioned and nothing will be perfect.

Reactions: footballfan 44
yes, but putting girls sports in the more worse season while boys sports (of the same sport) get better treatment is actionable.
I don't think anything is written in stone at the moment. How many Girls Lacrosse teams do you think there are in HS sports (just curious).

Doesn't Girls soccer always start in March?

Trying to keep politics out but they'll try to stretch this Covid 19 out as long as possible to use against the President to hamper the economy and normal life.

I don't think anything is written in stone at the moment. How many Girls Lacrosse teams do you think there are in HS sports (just curious).

Doesn't Girls soccer always start in March?
According to NFHS 2018-19 Participation Survey, there were 2,877 schools offering Girls Lacrosse. I couldn’t find any reports on the IHSA website, but did find a Daily Herald article from Feb 2018 stating there were 59 girls teams in the state - all in the Chicago are but for O’Fallon Girls and Dunlap Boys.

Both Boys and Girls Lacrosse became fully sanctioned Varsity sports under the IHSA starting the 2018 spring season.

According to NFHS 2018-19 Participation Survey, there were 2,877 schools offering Girls Lacrosse. I couldn’t find any reports on the IHSA website, but did find a Daily Herald article from Feb 2018 stating there were 59 girls teams in the state - all in the Chicago are but for O’Fallon Girls and Dunlap Boys.

Both Boys and Girls Lacrosse became fully sanctioned Varsity sports under the IHSA starting the 2018 spring season.
Sounds about right, I think fitting Girls Lacrosse into a season likely won't be much of problem compared to some of the other sports.

Sounds about right, I think fitting Girls Lacrosse into a season likely won't be much of problem compared to some of the other sports.
Fitting any sport into a different season will only be hard for the ADs at each school, as they will be responsible for figuring out the logistics. It'll be easier for some schools than for others.

The other sports can are played at club level.

Football is unique in that is not a "club" sport, thus consideration should be given to it over all other sports.
I disagree with giving Football special treatment. Not every kid playing HS Basketball also plays club. Same with Wrestling, Tennis, Waterpolo, and even Baseball, not to mention Track and Field or Cross-Country. It has to be a big picture outlook that includes all sports.

Unlike NCAA, most HS Football programs do not bring in enough capital to support other sports, so they shouldn't get special treatment. In my experience, every sport funds itself through their own sport dues and parent clubs, with very little coming from Boosters.

I disagree with giving Football special treatment. Not every kid playing HS Basketball also plays club. Same with Wrestling, Tennis, Waterpolo, and even Baseball, not to mention Track and Field or Cross-Country. It has to be a big picture outlook that includes all sports.

Unlike NCAA, most HS Football programs do not bring in enough capital to support other sports, so they shouldn't get special treatment. In my experience, every sport funds itself through their own sport dues and parent clubs, with very little coming from Boosters.
On the Contrary, without football, you have no sideline cheer, no halftime dance and no marching band.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
On the Contrary, without football, you have no sideline cheer, no halftime dance and no marching band.
None of those are Varsity sports sanctioned by IHSA or under the ADs control. While Competitive Cheer is a Varsity Sport, Sideline Cheer, Poms, and Marching Band are all High School Clubs requiring faculty sponsorship. In theory, they could all go on to perform in different venues.

TBH, even if Football is played (Fall or Spring), I doubt we will have a Marching Band. Pretty hard to play an instrument and where a mask and adhere to distance guidelines when not wearing one. The drums would be able to play, which is all most of us really like anyway, unless you have a kid in the band.

It is not that easy field time is premium in the spring already between soccer and lacrosse. I have seen teams have to practice on a small patch of grass because all the fields are taken and then if you add another field sport from the fall it will just compound the problem. I know it won't affect most of the schools but definitely the majority of the schools in the chicagoland.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
You lost me here and quite frankly, you owe the board an act of contrition for saying such things!

(But seriously, I disagree, which is why we are all here anyway.)
Ha! I recognize the audience, however, with multiple children involved in HS sports but only 1 in Football, I am firmly in the camp of making sure everyone has an opportunity. Spring sports already lost a season.

None of those are Varsity sports sanctioned by IHSA or under the ADs control. While Competitive Cheer is a Varsity Sport, Sideline Cheer, Poms, and Marching Band are all High School Clubs requiring faculty sponsorship. In theory, they could all go on to perform in different venues.

TBH, even if Football is played (Fall or Spring), I doubt we will have a Marching Band. Pretty hard to play an instrument and where a mask and adhere to distance guidelines when not wearing one. The drums would be able to play, which is all most of us really like anyway, unless you have a kid in the band.
I have a kid in band, but not marching band (because he's on the field). I also have a sideline/competitive cheerleader. I understand your point about it not being sanctioned, however, the kids still put a lot of work into it and care about it just as much and football provides them that opportunity. I'm pretty sure Dance is sanctioned, because they are competitive, not sure there are poms anymore.

It is not that easy field time is premium in the spring already between soccer and lacrosse. I have seen teams have to practice on a small patch of grass because all the fields are taken and then if you add another field sport from the fall it will just compound the problem. I know it won't affect most of the schools but definitely the majority of the schools in the chicagoland.
Of course it's not easy and some challenges are going to arise, but it will get figured out and clearly nothing is going to be ideal. There is way too much wanting your cake and eating it too in terms of the current situation all athletics are in.

I have a kid in band, but not marching band (because he's on the field). I also have a sideline/competitive cheerleader. I understand your point about it not being sanctioned, however, the kids still put a lot of work into it and care about it just as much and football provides them that opportunity. I'm pretty sure Dance is sanctioned, because they are competitive, not sure there are poms anymore.
I completely agree with you on the amount of work the kids put in. Our school doesn't participate in Competitive cheer, only sideline, where I also have a kid, and I do hope she gets the opportunity to cheer this year.

As to Dance, I was specifically talking about Poms, as that is who does the half time routines for HC, and is a club. We also have Competitive Dance which is a Sanctioned Sport, and I believe most Poms members are also on the Dance Team. For us, they are two different entities, however.

Reactions: missingwalter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT