ADVERTISEMENT

GW 14 HC 9 Final

kitty_bintingot

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
Q1:
---HC without their starting QB.

---first drive of game: HC defense forces 3 and out, then gets a stop on 4th and 1.

---HC drives, but gets stalled in GW territory. Looking like it's gonna be a barn burner.

---GW blocks HC punt, they take over at the HC 31---Pierce makes nice (questionable) catch at the GW 9. Then GW punches it in.

Q2:
---HC starts with 2nd and 7, ball at their own 38. Nothing going. On 3rd down the QB misses an open HC WR in the flat. 4th down. 1st and 10 for GW after a punt to GW territory.

---On third and 5 Diver pounds it for first down. I missed something significant here. All of a sudden HC now has ball in GW territory but HC back up throws a pick. GW takes over around midfield. HC forces a punt. They take over at their own 14, but it's not looking like a good day for their offense.

---HC comes out in a wildcat formation using #4 at QB. Two nice runs to open it up. On a third down they bring the Qb back and complete a first down pass. Next play back at wildcat and a huge run by #4. 3rd and 1, they go back to #4 at QB. First down. Now they got #7 in at QB running wildcat. Back to #4 on 3rd and 1. First down....HC faces 3rd and 11, bring in the Qb and complete a first down pass on GW 12 yard line. Pass completed down to the 3 yard line. 4th and 3. HC kicks a FG---impressive drive though disappointing to not walk away with 6. I was starting to think it wasn't looking good but man HC just woke up. 15 ticks left in the half.

---Ensuing KO GW returns it 88 yards for a TD. Wow. What a blow to the gut if you're HC. GW gets ball at half.

---Jeez--HC QB throws a bad pick on last play of first half, GW almost returns it to the house to end the half. All of the MO on GW's side going into half. HC will have to play lights out in the second half to have a shot at pulling this one out.

Q3:
---HC forces three and out to start the 2nd half. The rain is now coming DOWN.

---HC back to wildcat. 3rd and 2...BIG run for HC by #7 in the wildcat. First down HC. Nice run by #7 but then the next snap is botched (rain becoming factor). 3rd and 3...BIG run by #7 again, gain of about 25 at GW 30 yard line. Hetlet takes a timeout...GW defense getting pushed around here in the rain. Next play #4 runs it right up the middle for a 30yd TD. Wow. Snap is botched (rain is pouring). So failed PAT. 14-9 GW.

---3rd and 2 for GW after a squib kick by HC...HUGE TFOL by HC DE #42...so a three out by HC D. GW punts and HC takes over at their own 30.

---HC comes back out in the wildcat...oh dear, #7 goes down with a lower body injury and struggles a bit walking off the field. Next play goes for nothing but HC gets hit with a holding call. 2nd and 21. 3rd and 20---HC takes a timeout. Gain of 9 on wildcat keeper but it's 4th and 11. GW takes 2nd timeout before HC punts. Good punt for HC, GW takes over at its own 21. Rain still coming.

---On first down GW doesn't get much. 2nd and 7...Diver gets a pitch and is stopped for a gain of 1. 3rd and 6...incomplete pass, everyone was slipping around on that play...Pierce slipped trying to run his route. So another HC three and out. 4th down...HC BLOCKS THE PUNT!!! First down HC at GW 20.

---#7 back in at wildcat..1st down goes for 3 and there is an HC o-lineman down with an injury...3rd and 7...HC throws to the endzone there incomplete. Bad call IMO. 4th down. HC goes for it and throws to the endzone to big TE but nowhere near. Turnover. GW takes over.

---GW gets nothing on first down. End Q3.

Q4:
---nice run by Diver on 2nd down. First down GW. Next run by Thomas goes for 6. 2nd and 4...Thomas again for a gain of 6 or so. 1st down GW. False start by GW. 1st and 15. Goes to Thomas again for no gain. 2nd and 15...Thomas again, gain of 5, now 3rd and 10...goes to Thomas again for no gain. 4th and 15thish...GW punts and HC takes over at its own 38.

---No gain on first down for HC. 2nd and 10...Snapped is botched on 2nd down, HC lucky to recover, loss of 6. 3rd and 16...#4 with the keeper for a gain of 4. 4th and 12...HC punts and GW takes over it at its own 30.

---GW gains 1 on 1st down. 2nd and 9...big run by Cox on a counter trap play. Gain of 20, 1st down GW...Thomas picks up 2, 2nd and 8....Thomas with nice run, 3rd and 1...Thomas with another nice run, gain of 9. First down GW. Next play the snap is fumbled and GW lucky to recover. 2nd and 10...HC takes their second timeout. HC puts big TE in at DE. On 2nd and 10 the big TE at DE causes havoc and gets a TFOL. HC takes last timeout. 3rd down for GW. On 3rd down HC gets another TFOL. 4th down and 12 on HC 34, Hetlet takes his last timeout. Gw is going for it...they toss it up to Pierce in double coverage but it's broken up. HC takes over on its own 34. What a game so far.

---HC has to pass. They go to the air to big TE but pass is broken up. On 2nd down HC qb tries to run but fumbles and HC recovers. Next play another futile pass atempt. 4th down...another brutal pass attempt by HC...turnover but there is a flag on the play...pass interference against GW! Jeez. The pass wasn't even close. 1st down HC. Nothing on the pass. 2nd down...another pass, this time was closer to the target but no dice. 3rd down and 10...attempted snap doesn't get off, false start for HC. 3rd and 15...big sack for GW, loss of 7. 4th and forever for HC. Center botches the snap again and so another false start. 4th and 30-something...HC tries a pass as time expires to no avail. That's the ball game.

Final score Glenbard West 14 Hinsdale Central 9.

Last edited:
Pretty hard to know what to take away from that game. One thing for sure: HC defense has won me over. They have a great D.

Thanks Kitty. I gotta admit I was surprised to see that “p” word. Six games without a punt means I didn’t realize we had one.

Really appreciate the play by play. It’s like I got to experience the game without standing in the pissing rain.

OPRF on carpet next. Hitters will be happy

I was more disappointed because I had planned on getting another brat, but when that hurricane hit had to make the half marathon sprint to the train station. Can't heap enough praises on the people that run the grill at GBW.

GBW has a knack for those game changing kickoff returns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT