ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article

I hope in about 20 years when I’m old and retired, I don’t fall prey to the “things were better in my day” instinct.

PS - Tom Izzo is an abusive MFer. That display was appalling. And, he’s got a history of ignoring and/or brushing sexual assault cases under the rug. If that’s an example of the old school mentality, no thanks.

I hope in about 20 years when I’m old and retired, I don’t fall prey to the “things were better in my day” instinct.
Oh you will, and it will get worse with every passing year.

And this goes hand-in-hand with:

- young people seem to get dumber and dumber with each passing year.
- your parents (or significant adult figures) become wiser and more tolerant with each passing year.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Oh you will, and it will get worse with every passing year.

And this goes hand-in-hand with:

- young people seem to get dumber and dumber with each passing year.
- your parents (or significant adult figures) become wiser and more tolerant with each passing year.

You have it wrong the young people are very smart way smarter than the generation before them. The problem is they have no common sense. Zero common sense and this is something no one even talks about for some reason. Have them read a book or write an essay and they will blow your mind. Tell them to fix the toilet or change a car tire and they will look at you like your from Mars. Simple stuff they just don’t grasp or care.
I call the millennials the smartest idiots you will ever meet.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
You have it wrong the young people are very smart way smarter than the generation before them. The problem is they have no common sense. Zero common sense and this is something no one even talks about for some reason. Have them read a book or write an essay and they will blow your mind. Tell them to fix the toilet or change a car tire and they will look at you like your from Mars. Simple stuff they just don’t grasp or care.
I concede !!! But I still call young people today Dumb and Dumber. :)

Reactions: Bowie50
""One recently retired Hall of Fame football coach always told his kids, “It’s not about winning in here, it’s about winning out there 15 and 20 years from now. It’s about winning in life. Winning at being a son, husband and father. That’s when I know you’ve won.”

And yes, that coach did his share of screaming but his kids would run through a wall for him, both back them and even now.""

Amen!

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Corey, we can't paint all people in any generation with a broad brush although a lot of what you say is true. Young people, for the most part, are a product of their upbringing and schooling. That's probably true in any generation.

If kids don't know how to use simple hand tools and do simple jobs, it's because of the parents not showing them how. Plus, you don't have shop classes in school anymore.

My late Father-in-Law grew up on a farm in North Dakota. Needless to say my wife and Brothers-in-Law were exposed to tools and their uses at an early age. All of them can change a tire and use hand and power tools. My wife can handle fixing some things around the house but is deathly afraid of working with electricity. That's where I come in.

My dad was also exposed to the use of tools at an early age. There was nothing around the house he couldn't fix. He made me and my brothers help. That was where I learned to use hand tools and power tools. In the years I lived at home he roofed two houses by himself by hand. I was there as a 10 year old up on that first roof handing him shingles and watching how he did it. he completely re-piped the second house. He did electrical work as well. He wasn't as well versed on cars as my Father-In -Law but he wasn't exposed to it as much. My dad worked a white collar job but grew up in a blue collar home. Talented man who is also a very good musician.

In my younger years on one car alone I did brake jobs, changed a water pump, put a starter in, changed a fan belt and radiator, put a thermostat in. Maybe I should have sold that effing car! But, you do what you gotta do. In my current house, I did a roof in 2005 with a friend, re-piped some of the pipes. Put 2 water heaters in and new toilets. Within the last 7 years I ripped all the downstairs carpets up and exposed old oak wood floors. Then I sanded all of them and refinished it all and they are beautiful. My wife and I have re-done every room in this house.

I am not bragging about this. As a matter of fact I made mistakes along the way. But I had the general knowledge to do these projects myself and with the help of my boys when they got a little older. You do what you gotta do. And if you can do it yourself you save a ton of money. The girls helped too.

My older son got married and bought a home within the last 5 years. He put 2 new toilets in by himself. Just last summer we replaced a lot of wood on his deck. Prior owners didn't take car of it. His house is about 20 years old.

My older daughter and her boyfriend have completely re-done their whole house. When you're younger you can get it all done faster. More energy. I am betting you are one of the guys who has a good working knowledge of tools and I bet you passed it down.

I concede !!! But I still call young people today Dumb and Dumber. :)
You-re old! LOL! Come on man. There were plenty of dumb asses running around when we were young. Puuulenty! Times have changed. Did you ever ride around or drive with a drink in the car when you were younger? Hell yes you did and so did I and probably everyone else here back in the day.

You want to know what the difference is in doing something like that today? If you get caught doing it anywhere your ass is going to jail. Back in our day if the local cops caught you with beer they took it away and told you to go right home. You got a little lecture but they let you go. That doesn't happen anymore and that's a good thing. In this area kids today are smarter and call for rides or just take an Uber. I always told my kids if they need a ride call me anytime. But, if they are stupid enough to drink and drive and get caught do NOT call me from the police station because I am not coming. Drinking and driving in this house is a BIG no-no.

We grew up in totally different times. Back in the day my family had Christmas parties at my Grandmother's house then at our house. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, the quintessential Christmas party had people with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. My parents and Aunts and Uncles got toasted more than once at these gatherings.

Kids are no dumber than we were or the generation before us in this area.

Corey, we can't paint all people in any generation with a broad brush although a lot of what you say is true. Young people, for the most part, are a product of their upbringing and schooling. That's probably true in any generation.

If kids don't know how to use simple hand tools and do simple jobs, it's because of the parents not showing them how. Plus, you don't have shop classes in school anymore.

My late Father-in-Law grew up on a farm in North Dakota. Needless to say my wife and Brothers-in-Law were exposed to tools and their uses at an early age. All of them can change a tire and use hand and power tools. My wife can handle fixing some things around the house but is deathly afraid of working with electricity. That's where I come in.

My dad was also exposed to the use of tools at an early age. There was nothing around the house he couldn't fix. He made me and my brothers help. That was where I learned to use hand tools and power tools. In the years I lived at home he roofed two houses by himself by hand. I was there as a 10 year old up on that first roof handing him shingles and watching how he did it. he completely re-piped the second house. He did electrical work as well. He wasn't as well versed on cars as my Father-In -Law but he wasn't exposed to it as much. My dad worked a white collar job but grew up in a blue collar home. Talented man who is also a very good musician.

In my younger years on one car alone I did brake jobs, changed a water pump, put a starter in, changed a fan belt and radiator, put a thermostat in. Maybe I should have sold that effing car! But, you do what you gotta do. In my current house, I did a roof in 2005 with a friend, re-piped some of the pipes. Put 2 water heaters in and new toilets. Within the last 7 years I ripped all the downstairs carpets up and exposed old oak wood floors. Then I sanded all of them and refinished it all and they are beautiful. My wife and I have re-done every room in this house.

I am not bragging about this. As a matter of fact I made mistakes along the way. But I had the general knowledge to do these projects myself and with the help of my boys when they got a little older. You do what you gotta do. And if you can do it yourself you save a ton of money. The girls helped too.

My older son got married and bought a home within the last 5 years. He put 2 new toilets in by himself. Just last summer we replaced a lot of wood on his deck. Prior owners didn't take car of it. His house is about 20 years old.

My older daughter and her boyfriend have completely re-done their whole house. When you're younger you can get it all done faster. More energy. I am betting you are one of the guys who has a good working knowledge of tools and I bet you passed it down.

Your right and I apologize to any young people who I may have offended. I guess I mean in general not all! I have hire hundreds of young adults in the past 7 years and almost all lack common sense but really book smart.
Just my observation from a hiring standpoint and just dealing with the younger generation.

You-re old! LOL! Come on man. There were plenty of dumb asses running around when we were young. Puuulenty! Times have changed. Did you ever ride around or drive with a drink in the car when you were younger? Hell yes you did and so did I and probably everyone else here back in the day.

Etc. (see original post)

Kids are no dumber than we were or the generation before us in this area.
This leads me to possibly the 2 most common prayers used by men (people) our age.
1) Please tell me, I was not that stupid when I was their age.
2) thank you for getting me out of my teens and 20's alive and in one piece.

I could very well be perspective but I still think young people today are (on average) dumber then we were. And I was very dumb at that age.

Reactions: markmacaluso

PS - Tom Izzo is an abusive MFer. That display was appalling. And, he’s got a history of ignoring and/or brushing sexual assault cases under the rug. If that’s an example of the old school mentality, no thanks.

Seriously? I wonder if you will ever post a comment I can even remotely agree with.

This leads me to possibly the 2 most common prayers used by men (people) our age.

I could very well be perspective but I still think young people today are (on average) dumber then we were. And I was very dumb at that age.

As the father of 20 year old and 18 year old boys (men?), I sympathize with and can relate to what Kevin, Corey and LTHS have all said.

Never thought I would witness acts of utter brilliance and complete stupidity so close together. They will amaze you at times and fill you with pride and other times will leave you shaking your head and wondering how the hell you are related to them. I suppose my dad would have said the same about me 30 years ago.

Kids are kids. I guess stupidity depends on how a person looks at it.

I wouldn't want to be 20 in this world today. I never had any school loans to pay off. I could afford the rent by myself when I moved out of the house. I could do what I wanted without fear some a-hole wasn't recording it and waiting to ruin my life. Kids today are walking on egg shells when it comes to being recorded.

I guarantee every single person posting here has done something they are grateful was never recorded...and put on a public forum. The world isn't any easier for kids nowadays.

So, you're into sexual assault coverups? Cool

What exactly is it that you are accusing him of? Be specific. It's easy to make generalized statements with no substance or details behind them. Any proof that he actually covered anything up? Or just your gut feeling because you don't like him?

As the father of 20 year old and 18 year old boys (men?), I sympathize with and can relate to what Kevin, Corey and LTHS have all said.

Never thought I would witness acts of utter brilliance and complete stupidity so close together. They will amaze you at times and fill you with pride and other times will leave you shaking your head and wondering how the hell you are related to them. I suppose my dad would have said the same about me 30 years ago.

I love your reply. It is so true. We lived it. I couldn’t agree more. Lol it really is funny when you think about it.

Reactions: markmacaluso
What exactly is it that you are accusing him of? Be specific. It's easy to make generalized statements with no substance or details behind them. Any proof that he actually covered anything up? Or just your gut feeling because you don't like him?
Mark: You should know by now that only some people have the presumption of innocence when accusations are made and others who do not meet your specific way of thinking do not.

Mark: You should know by now that only some people have the presumption of innocence when accusations are made and others who do not meet your specific way of thinking do not.

I hear ya Gene! We have completely tossed aside facts, evidence, proof, due process, etc. Anyway, enough of that grim stuff. Hope you are doing well. I still enjoy your avatar.

Reactions: Gene K.
I plead guilty to once having had a teenage brain, with its undeveloped frontal lobe. Guilty to having said and done many stupid and embarrassing things. Guilty to having been a bag of raging hormones, otherwise known as a high school student. Guilty to looking back with regret on my wasted high school years. And guilty, even at this advanced age, to loving high school football with a passion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT