ADVERTISEMENT

Naz @ MC

No skin in this game. Not making excuses for MC. I saw a number of sophs (WR, LB, DB) and a Frosh DT playing against the NJ team. That is all.
The frosh actually starts now at NG and it has facilitated a move of another player to RG

Reactions: Silver Rain
So a team with 12 - 3&4 star athletes couldn’t compete on a national level???

I have trouble believing that

Two great programs! Both defending champs. One is 7A, the other 5A. Size matters!
To some degree, but less so when you're talking about a couple of schools where the football program was almost certainly a factor in most of the players' decision to attend the school. Sure, if it's just a random selection of kids at a school, then its highly probable a much larger school would have more talent, but these are not randomly selected kids.

I would still expect Mt. Carmel to win, but the difference in class would be more important in a matchup of programs with less prominent legacies.

To some degree, but less so when you're talking about a couple of schools where the football program was almost certainly a factor in most of the players' decision to attend the school. Sure, if it's just a random selection of kids at a school, then its highly probable a much larger school would have more talent, but these are not randomly selected kids.

I would still expect Mt. Carmel to win, but the difference in class would be more important in a matchup of programs with less prominent legacies.

To further my point. Through 2 weeks, I found 17 games where a team beat another that was at least 3 classes higher. In 5 of those games, it was a private David vs. a public Goliath.

WeekSchoolClassOpponentClassw/LScoreopp
1​
Belleville (Althoff)1A@ Alton7AW
41​
14​
2​
Palos Heights (Chicago Christian)2AElmwood Park5AW
49​
16​
1​
Decatur (St. Teresa)2AUrbana5AW
40​
8​
1​
Chicago (Carver)3AChicago (Lake View)6AW
26​
14​
2​
Chicago (Dyett)4AChicago (Curie)8AW
16​
0​
1​
Chicago (South Shore)4AChicago (Curie)8AW
68​
0​
2​
West Chicago (Wheaton Academy)4ASt. Charles (East)7AW
28​
17​
2​
Burbank (St. Laurence)4A@ Evanston8AW
42​
7​
2​
Chicago (Phillips)4A@ Rich (Township)8AW
26​
24​
2​
Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South)5AAurora (East)8AW
41​
7​
2​
Sycamore5AOswego (East)8AW
15​
9​
2​
Grayslake (North)5AElgin8AW
35​
24​
1​
Chicago Heights (Marian Catholic)5A@ Rich (Township)8AW
25​
0​
2​
Chicago (Morgan Park)5A@ Oak Park (River Forest)8AW
26​
0​
2​
Burlington (Central)5A@ Carpentersville (Dundee-Crown)8AW
24​
22​
2​
Morris5A@ Joliet (West)8AW
31​
17​
2​
Antioch5A@ Zion-Benton8AW
33​
20​

To further my point. Through 2 weeks, I found 17 games where a team beat another that was at least 3 classes higher. In 5 of those games, it was a private David vs. a public Goliath.

1​
41​
14​
2​
49​
16​
1​
40​
8​
1​
26​
14​
2​
16​
0​
1​
68​
0​
2​
28​
17​
2​
42​
7​
2​
26​
24​
2​
41​
7​
2​
15​
9​
2​
35​
24​
1​
25​
0​
2​
26​
0​
2​
24​
22​
2​
31​
17​
2​
33​
20​
I remember the thread quite well how a poster claimed the lower classes RARELY beat the higher classes

1​
41​
14​
2​
49​
16​
1​
40​
8​
1​
26​
14​
2​
16​
0​
1​
68​
0​
2​
28​
17​
2​
42​
7​
2​
26​
24​
2​
41​
7​
2​
15​
9​
2​
35​
24​
1​
25​
0​
2​
26​
0​
2​
24​
22​
2​
31​
17​
2​
33​
20​
And this is private for private... Whatever inherent advantage there is certainly applies for both. Even if both get x number of high level players, having more general student population bodies is still significant in 11 v 11 for a top down roster. And if the talent difference of 7th best v 7th best down is significant that adds up.

And this is private for private... Whatever inherent advantage there is certainly applies for both. Even if both get x number of high level players, having more general student population bodies is still significant in 11 v 11 for a top down roster. And if the talent difference of 7th best v 7th best down is significant that adds up.
Right- still a factor, but I stand by: To some degree, but less so when you're talking about a couple of schools where the football program was almost certainly a factor in most of the players' decision to attend the school.

1​
41​
14​
2​
49​
16​
1​
40​
8​
1​
26​
14​
2​
16​
0​
1​
68​
0​
2​
28​
17​
2​
42​
7​
2​
26​
24​
2​
41​
7​
2​
15​
9​
2​
35​
24​
1​
25​
0​
2​
26​
0​
2​
24​
22​
2​
31​
17​
2​
33​
20​
I wouldn't call a private David in those situations. Most of the bigger schools had losing seasons the previous year. In those game size does not matter. But I feel when you have two private Goliaths it does.

Right- still a factor, but I stand by: To some degree, but less so when you're talking about a couple of schools where the football program was almost certainly a factor in most of the players' decision to attend the school.
I think that's an incredible overstatement.

I wouldn't call a private David in those situations. Most of the bigger schools had losing seasons the previous year. In those game size does not matter. But I feel when you have two private Goliaths it does.
Its all relative. Between probably ~3A to ~6A the relative size differences all fall within a tight part of the bell curve. Only at the tail ends of the classification does the standard deviation start giving true outliers relative to a single class difference. And obviously even then quality of program still matters greatly (if you can isolate the other success factors as equal).

And at a certain point there's probably also diminishing returns. But in little areas like how many two way players you have, size of enrollment matters.

Last edited:
Godfthr, you may be correct, but honestly I just don’t remember. That said, if the game is close, I think Naz comes out on top, if things snowball early in the game MC could run away. Heart says Naz head says MC…going with my heart! Naz 31 MC 28
Big game to bring a prediction from Jwar out.

Reactions: epicbret and tuccs
Wish I was going tonight but my daughter is doing some mini cheerleading thing at the local high school game. (The things is dads so for the kids) Thankfully MC uses YouTube and may I say puts on quite the production with multiple cameras. I highly recommend anyone else not able to attend.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Sounds like a good defensive game. I feel like the varsity may be different more like a shootout.

Calling it now this one is over. MC too much for Naz. Good game Caravan! Just hope we can stay healthy now for 3 quarters.

Naz needs to run more. They only ran one time so far. You need balance in your play calling to beat the big dogs.

You have no control of the clock passing it on every down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT