ADVERTISEMENT

GBW vs LWE

Ethan0619

Aug 12, 2015
GBW one of four teams with winning record vs Beast having played at least twice. Athletic mobile QB keeping plays alive who throws excellent deep ball, behind good OL with run game as their bread and butter. Having watched East since its inception and more this year than ever, this combo worries me. Playing in FF however is huge. Hard to beat East at home, unless of course your wearing a scapular

GBW one of four teams with winning record vs Beast having played at least twice. Athletic mobile QB keeping plays alive who throws excellent deep ball, behind good OL with run game as their bread and butter. Having watched East since its inception and more this year than ever, this combo worries me. Playing in FF however is huge. Hard to beat East at home, unless of course your wearing a scapular
This is going to be a super super fun one. Both teams are absolutely rolling. I Think this will be neck and neck for all 4 quarters but GBWs elite run game will let The Hitters be the team that finally knocks off LWE. GBW 17 - LWE 14

Haven’t seen GBW that much but from what I saw Saturday it will take a Herculean effort to stop East. The griffins won’t allow 37 points at home in a playoff game
Didn’t MS go into the game with back to back playoff shutouts? How many did they give up to the Brook? MS shut them out

Reactions: Brett.Williams
What’s with these low scores? LWE and GW two top offenses, Idk if either D can shutout the other (keep under 3 tds).

No clue who wins, I know LWE is heavy favorite but I think GBW has a shot.

Well in 2018…the last time these two teams played at GW Duchon it wasn’t low scoring at all…I can’t exactly remember the score but I know the Hitters had zero. First time for GBW visiting LWE that I know of. Welcome to Frankfort.

Didn’t MS go into the game with back to back playoff shutouts? How many did they give up to the Brook? MS shut them out
Not a great comparison from The Brook in week 4 to week 10. But it is a common link for sure.

Not a great comparison from The Brook in week 4 to week 10. But it is a common link for sure.
Not a lot of overlapping opponents. I think Lockport might be the only other one. Didn’t Bradley put up more than people would have thought in week 9?
I think LWE is going to win and probably by a comfortable margin but strange things can happen. I would have never thought GW would have put up 37 against MS but two onside kicks and a fumble change things.

I think the first game between these two schools was in 2009 at Duchon, with a GW win 42-12. Next was 2 years later in the state championship game, a 10-8 GW win that featured, what we in Glen Ellyn lovingly refer to as "The Hit", when Hayden Carlson introduced himself to LWE's QB Tommy Fuessel. Last meeting, again at Duchon, was a big 45-0 win for LWE. This is GW's first trip to LWE. Should be a great game!

Not a lot of overlapping opponents. I think Lockport might be the only other one. Didn’t Bradley put up more than people would have thought in week 9?
I think LWE is going to win and probably by a comfortable margin but strange things can happen. I would have never thought GW would have put up 37 against MS but two onside kicks and a fumble change things.
All good points.
Plus, Saturday expected high of 27 is going to make for some cold playing conditions!

I think the first game between these two schools was in 2009 at Duchon, with a GW win 42-12. Next was 2 years later in the state championship game, a 10-8 GW win that featured, what we in Glen Ellyn lovingly refer to as "The Hit", when Hayden Carlson introduced himself to LWE's QB Tommy Fuessel. Last meeting, again at Duchon, was a big 45-0 win for LWE. This is GW's first trip to LWE. Should be a great game!
Still one of the hardest hits I ever saw in HS football.

Reactions: Brett.Williams
But it's a better comparison than going back to GW vs LWE in 2018 which has nothing to do with these two current teams as you did above.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I think the first game between these two schools was in 2009 at Duchon, with a GW win 42-12.
Hi Chuck. The first meeting between the two was in 2010 with GW winning 42-28. Mark Hiben had 12 catches for 319 yards and four touchdowns, breaking the state's single-game yardage mark.

Reactions: chuck998
Hi Chuck. The first meeting between the two was in 2010 with GW winning 42-28. Mark Hiben had 12 catches for 319 yards and four touchdowns, breaking the state's single-game yardage mark.
Thanks for correcting the year. I remember this game. A sunny fall afternoon, and one heck of a tough game. Wish these teams could play more often.

Reactions: 0ddbaLL
Haven’t seen GBW that much but from what I saw Saturday it will take a Herculean effort to stop East. The griffins won’t allow 37 points at home in a playoff game
I will go a step further Newt. If GBW is a running team I will flat out tell you East will not allow them to run the ball. This part of their game will be shut down. They better be able to pass the ball because if they can’t they will be in trouble. This East team is on a mission and it’s going to very difficult to beat them. I don’t see Esst allowing any team to come into their house running the ball. If East plays the way they played on Saturday they win big.

Reactions: jcrewx7
I will go a step further Newt. If GBW is a running team I will flat out tell you East will not allow them to run the ball. This part of their game will be shut down. They better be able to pass the ball because if they can’t they will be in trouble. This East team is on a mission and it’s going to very difficult to beat them. I don’t see Esst allowing any team to come into their house running the ball. If East plays the way they played on Saturday they win big.
Corey - not trying to be snarky, but have you seen GW football over the last 10 years? They are absolutely a running team. If you can get them into a spread look, you are winning the game, and they are playing catch-up. That said, their wing concept offense is extremely good, and their guards pull fast and hit hard. GW lives and dies by the quality of their OLine, in my opinion. This year's OLine is the best I've seen in several years.

I watched LWE's games against Lockport and BBHS, as well as their game against Warren. I've seen LWE struggle - it's on the film on NFHS. I've also seen them click on all cylinders, as they appeared to do against Warren.

I've also watched GW's games against York, LT, HC, and their playoff games against GBS and MS. I've seen GW struggle against only York - another team playing this weekend. And they were in position to win that game.

In my opinion, this is going to be a tough, close game. I get homerism, but to think one team not named Mount Carmel is going to completely dominate another semi-final team is absolutely ludacris.

Reactions: stl705
Corey - I’m not so sure LWE can lockdown GBW rush attack to nothing. GBW will get yards on the ground, and I think they’ll have a lot more success running than Warren, but overall I agree with you in that GBW will need to make a play or two via the pass to win.

Both these teams remind me a lot of each other. Both strong on the run and run defense. Both excellent pass defense. Maybe LWE a little better offensive pass game but I think they both are run first teams that will try to run 4 quarters against each other.

If I had to predict, I’d say LWE by a score or less due to home field advantage.

Corey - not trying to be snarky, but have you seen GW football over the last 10 years? They are absolutely a running team. If you can get them into a spread look, you are winning the game, and they are playing catch-up. That said, their wing concept offense is extremely good, and their guards pull fast and hit hard. GW lives and dies by the quality of their OLine, in my opinion. This year's OLine is the best I've seen in several years.

I watched LWE's games against Lockport and BBHS, as well as their game against Warren. I've seen LWE struggle - it's on the film on NFHS. I've also seen them click on all cylinders, as they appeared to do against Warren.

I've also watched GW's games against York, LT, HC, and their playoff games against GBS and MS. I've seen GW struggle against only York - another team playing this weekend. And they were in position to win that game.

In my opinion, this is going to be a tough, close game. I get homerism, but to think one team not named Mount Carmel is going to completely dominate another semi-final team is absolutely ludacris.
I don’t disagree East must play like they showed last Saturday. The one area you can count on is East’s run defense. If GBW expects to run on East I can say with certainty it’s not going to be easy. East knows how to play against the wing T. This is an offense they used to run. Z knows it inside out. Speaking of OLines. East has a very nasty Oline that will impose their will on a defense. It’s going to be fun for sure. One other thing I have said and will say again this East team won’t get rattled they are experienced.

I think one thing GW has going for them in the run game is the quality of their backfield. On the podcast Mike Clark said they have the best duo of running backs in the state. Throw in a very dangerous running QB and they will find ways to run the ball. Pope is finally back to full strength and Ellens coming into his own, the Hitters should be able to have some chances in the play action. It will still be a tall task to to go into Frankfort and come out with a W but they should have no fear after doing that in Park Ridge last Saturday. I will be at a work conference out of town so going to be relying on Corey for the play by play updates in the game thread with scores in the title.

East is very susceptible this year to broken play, QB scrambling, long downfield pass improv situations. I realize all HS teams are to an extent, but East's DB's seem exceptionally vulnerable this year and LB's seem a step slower laterally. In years past the LB would run down QB and alter throw or if throw was made East's DB seemed like a big brother playing against his little Brother. Not the case this year. They will stop the run, contain GBW base offense, then broken play, pow. I am a die hard East fan and this scenario worries me.

Reactions: Gene K. and corey90
But it's a better comparison than going back to GW vs LWE in 2018 which has nothing to do with these two current teams as you did above.
My mention was based on the Bolingbrook demise as the season went forward for the Raiders. Crossbones will attest to the loss of Coach Ivlow and the play of the Brook as the Season moved on. A comparison at that though. I do like how you followed up with a 2010 reference....I prefer to reference the last meeting in 2018. This will be a great game either way. I hope you can make it out to Frankfort Saturday.

Got it. I was correcting another poster on the score and year not projecting any insight into what's going to go down on Saturday.
I have a lot of respect for Zvonar and the LWE kids and the program.
Thanks! I'm coming to Frankfort. At least that's the plan.

You could also look at Maine South losing at home to Warren Township. But....apples only make juice. It is a long season and footballs are not round. Hope to see all in Frankfort! Edgy....always an open invite for Saturday!

We shall see. I didn’t say East would dominate, I said they will shut down GBW running game. IMO they will have to pass the ball. If what your saying is true and they are able to run the ball against East then we will have a close ball game. I thought Warren was going to be able to run the ball but they struggled. Their best runner was the QB and in the 2nd half East made adjustments and stopped him. It should be a good game and I am looking forward to it. 👍

East fan since day 1. Two daughters are grads and son, who played for Mount Carmel but was mostly baseball driven, had and has his besties play for East so I follow them like they are my own. IMO, in East's history this is the fifth home game ever I think a loss is possible.
1) MC classic playoff game
2) HF with the Harley-Hampton Twins
3) Home playoff game vs WWS years ago where on the Mau brothers was matched at Corner with WWS all state WR
4) a Bolingbrook game where a BB outstanding skill player suffered a horrific tib-fib fracture dislocation. in first quarter
5) and this game.

East 1-2 all time vs GBW.
Two proud traditions, two outstanding HS coaching staffs.
This game may come down to a great GBW O-line stating with their blocks allowing QB to scramble and hit WR deep on broken play. GBW will not jam it down field by exclusively running ball. The run however will set up some huge play action possibilities that worry me.

Reactions: Gene K. and PJD1970
We shall see. I didn’t say East would dominate, I said they will shut down GBW running game. IMO they will have to pass the ball. If what your saying is true and they are able to run the ball against East then we will have a close ball game. I thought Warren was going to be able to run the ball but they struggled. Their best runner was the QB and in the 2nd half East made adjustments and stopped him. It should be a good game and I am looking forward to it. 👍
Corey. Looks like LWE and LA are on a collision course.

Reactions: corey90
East fan since day 1. Two daughters are grads and son, who played for Mount Carmel but was mostly baseball driven, had and has his besties play for East so I follow them like they are my own. IMO, in East's history this is the fifth home game ever I think a loss is possible.
1) MC classic playoff game
2) HF with the Harley-Hampton Twins
3) Home playoff game vs WWS years ago where on the Mau brothers was matched at Corner with WWS all state WR
4) a Bolingbrook game where a BB outstanding skill player suffered a horrific tib-fib fracture dislocation. in first quarter
5) and this game.

East 1-2 all time vs GBW.
Two proud traditions, two outstanding HS coaching staffs.
This game may come down to a great GBW O-line stating with their blocks allowing QB to scramble and hit WR deep on broken play. GBW will not jam it down field by exclusively running ball. The run however will set up some huge play action possibilities that worry me.
You are no East fan. You sent your son to MC. Your not a Griffin your an imposter. You sound like your a GBW fan and trying to hide you identity. I for one believe East has the better offensive line in this game. We shall see. By the way which side you sitting on? I am sure your back will be facing LA Grange Rd. 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT