ADVERTISEMENT

Edited: Boom Midwest Showcae: Top Performers

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Boom Football had almost 200 kids last night at the Romeoville Rec Center, soon to be named the Edwards Hospital Athletic Center (a terrific facility if you haven't seen it yet).

Here are the Top Finishers from the combine portion:

Top 40 yard dashes

Rodney Gee Waubonsie Valley 4.45
Karon Keyes Glenbard East 4.50
Devian Hodges GB North 4.51
Sam Brodner GB West 4.51
Drake Spears West Aurora 4.61

Linemen MVP: Tyler Witt JCA
2018 MVP: DB Tyrik Henderson Glenbard North
2017 MVP: DB Damani Reed Simeon
2016 MVP: DB Drake Spears West Aurora
Overall MVP: QB Steven Frank Oswego

This was a combo combine/showcase. I'm pretty familiar with several of the Boom skill kids (having been to an earlier tryout) so in all honesty my focus for most of the evening was on the OL and DL.

OL/DL Players who stood out?

OT Terrell Maclin-Dupree Simeon- great sized kid (6-foot-5 300 pounds range) who has very impressive skill set. Maclin-Dupree has terrific size, strength and is also very fluid and athletic. Needs to improve his overall technique and hands but the overall package here is very impressive.

OG Keevin Agee Simeon- another big and strong kid here (6-foot-3, 275 pounds), has great strength and is a wide bodied kid. Needs to work on his overall flexibility and bend but Agee also has the makings on a D1 level interior linemen at the next level.

OG Tyler Witt JCA- I've seen Tyler play more than a few times live but was even more impressed live here. Won the Linemen MVP award and rightfully so. Has tremendous strength and power (typical JCA) yet Witt also is exceptionally fluid, shows terrific bend, fett and overall quickness. Is in the 6-2 to 6-3 range and easily could play say OC at the high D1 level.

OT Hayden LaPointe DeKalb- has good size (6-foot-5) and is around the 260 pound range. Has a big frame and will no question add more size and bulk in the next few years. Could easily become a 290-300 pounder. Runs well and is simply an athletic kid. Shows good overall tools and fundamentals. Will need to again add some size but overall I came away impressed here.

DE Eric Johnson Plainfield South- very athletic runs defensive end type here. Has very good size and length and loosk to be 6-3/6-4 210 pound range. Very quick, good power and again has exceptional quickness and tools. Needs to learn better leverage and better use of his hands and also needs to learn to finish better. Yet no question this is a name to watch this spring and summer.

DT Mike Panasiuk Lake Park- sat out because of an injury (not serious) and this was my first eyeball look at Panasuik. Let's just say he passes with flying colors and will be in the 20-25 offer range by the end of spring.

I can also name another 3-4 kids who really stood out and look for more on Premium side,

Skills Positions?

QB Steven Frank Oswego- was named overall MVP and it was pretty easy to see why. I've watched Frank throw a bunch already this winter however what caught my attention here was Frank's overall speed and athleticism. Frank runs well and if this QB thing doesn't work out he has a chance to be say a TE at a high level.

QB Connor Joyce Naperville Central- was more of a game manager in 2014 for the Redhawks yet Joyce looks more and more comfortable throiwing the football, here than at any time I can remember in 2014. His mechanics are good and Joyce kjust looks more confident.

QB Daytona Chandler Rockton Hononegah- good sized kid passes the eyeball test. Needed to feel out the receivers a bit but seemed to improve his overall timing as the event went on.

QB John Carnagio Minooka- 2017 kid who is just a very solid all around athlete. Throws a solid ball and has potential. Looks to be about 6-2 and will get bigger and stronger sooner rather than later. A definite name to watch here.

ATH Justin Blake Montini- could play either WR or QB and play both well. Tested and runs well and this spring/summer could be big for Blake. Has been working on his QB skills this winter (played QB here and was a QB up until last season) and I see continued improvement.

DB Drake Spears West Aurora- looking more and more like an OLB to me. Spears is just a very strong. fluid and speedy player with real upside. Should have 6-8 offers by now and the longer schools wait the bigger the mistake they make with Spears. Spears has terrific awareness, can close well and is always physical.

WR Owen Piche Neuqua Valley- as expected this event had a ton of Neuqua kids. Owen is a 2017 kid with real upside. Piche has great size and length and can also run. Shows terrific in traffic ball skills and competed well all day.

WR Isaiah Robertson Neuqua Valley- another 2017 kid with a ton of upside as well. Robertson is very athletic and will also draw a ton of recruiting looks sooner rather than later.

TE Brett Borske Neuqua Valley- listed at 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds Borske played TE here and used his size, reach and frame to just box out opposing defenders. Yet after seeing Borske on the hoof this is a kid who I feel will draw as much or more looks as a potential OT at the college level. Borske has a big frame, wide base and could potentially add more weight if required. Again I can see more than a few schools look at Borske at TE and OT.

ATH Damani Reed Simeon- 2017 kid is also the younger brother of former Simeon standout Demarius Reed. I saw a lot of similarities here including the ability to get as many reps as possible. Terrific speed and athlete here.

WR Tyler Millikan Montini- was limited here since he's playing thru an injury but made the most of his reps. Has terrific hands, runs solid routes and also can fight for the ball with the best of them.

ATH Sam Brodner Glenbard West- been watching Sam all winter. Plays RB at GBW and has been working a lot this winter at LB. Brodner is a flat out player on either side of the ball. Brodner has toughness, a nose for the ball and just makes plays. Schools will need to look close this spring and summer to determine a college position but someone would get a real steal here.

DB Kaelub Newman Oswego East- very impressive kid here. Has impressive tools size and can close very well. Will get bigger and stronger at the next level and his overall stock could take off this spring/summer.

ATH Karon Keys Glenbard East- Keys (2017) just is a quick and speedy slot/running back type. Keyes no question can just outrun most comers. His size will be an issue for the bigger level schools yet something about this kid's speed and athletic ability makes you want to look into him harder.

DB Jeremy Fejedelem Lemont- was a big fan of his older brother Clayton (Illinois walk on who ended up on full scholarship) and Jeremy also has some game. Fejedelem has great ball skills and cover skills. He made more than one interception here and can also play a physical corner when required.

This post was edited on 1/27 7:17 AM by edgytim

This post was edited on 1/27 7:28 AM by edgytim

This post was edited on 1/27 12:57 PM by edgytim

Re: Boom Midwest Showcae: Who Stood Out?

FAT or Hand Timed 40s?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT