ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen Numbers?

35 at Montini, roughly. That was a starting point so if it's dropped due to people falling off it could be lower. Not sure.

How many of the schools with extremely low numbers also charge to play?

How many of the schools with extremely low numbers also charge to play?

Not sure there is a single suburban public school who doesn't charge. Some do it by sport and some have one fee across all sports.

The local soccer team, the Chicago Fire, just paid $60 million to get out of a contract with Burbank so they could play at Soldier Field instead. That's a good indicator, like the price of long-term bonds.

Challenges well beyond the CPL

Glenbrook South had only 10 freshman come out this year. and were down to 9 about an hour in due to season ending injury. For those you don't know, school enrollment is close to 3000.

Will likely have no freshman program and will have a combined frosh-soph (which wont have more than 30).

Ironicaly had a very strong 7th-8th grade program yet many of them chose to enroll in another area high school with a penchant for winning titles.

I would be curious to know how many 8th graders on last year's Glenview Jr. Titans team wound up enrolling at Loyola and going out for freshmen football.

I realize that the club website may not be up to date or well maintained, but the currently published roster for the 7th and 8th grade team lists 25 players. I suspect this was for last year's team. If this is accurate, then I'm also curious how you can have a "very strong 7th-8th grade program" with 25 players.

I would be curious to know how many 8th graders on last year's Glenview Jr. Titans team wound up enrolling at Loyola and going out for freshmen football.

I realize that the club website may not be up to date or well maintained, but the currently published roster for the 7th and 8th grade team lists 25 players. I suspect this was for last year's team. If this is accurate, then I'm also curious how you can have a "very strong 7th-8th grade program" with 25 players.

not sure about website accuracy, but I was at a game last year and their roster was materially more than 25.

In terms of total class size, typically Glenview 8th grade classes are 90-100 greater than the freshman class at GBS. Not all go to Loyola as they lose students to NND, LFA and Regina as well, but I would say Loyola probably gets the biggest share of the total student body.

USD....I'm sure you are up on this, but per the latest schedule on the school website, the Frosh picked up a game in Week 2 against Thornwood. CoM is not listed, but Ignatius is still listed as having a Frosh team.

https://il.8to18.com/JolietCatholic/schedule/football/b/all/2019-2020

From what I just heard CoM and Iggy are gonna field frosh teams now.

I also heard Provi is not gonna have a frosh team

Kinda a fluid situation with some schools at this point

Reactions: The Outfit
In terms of total class size, typically Glenview 8th grade classes are 90-100 greater than the freshman class at GBS. Not all go to Loyola as they lose students to NND, LFA and Regina as well, but I would say Loyola probably gets the biggest share of the total student body.

Biggest share from among the private schools you mentioned. Surely you don't mean that Loyola gets the majority of 8th graders from Springman and Attea.

Biggest share from among the private schools you mentioned. Surely you don't mean that Loyola gets the majority of 8th graders from Springman and Attea.

exactly. Of the 100 or so Glenview loses, i'd guess that loyola gets 40-50 of them. majority of attea/springman kids are going to GBS. between the jr highs, i'd imagine springman loses more than attea due to demographics.

You can not cancel an entire Frosh season before the first week of school.

The local soccer team, the Chicago Fire, just paid $60 million to get out of a contract with Burbank so they could play at Soldier Field instead. That's a good indicator, like the price of long-term bonds.
Bridgeview.Burbank is right down the street

How many remember when North Shore Country Day required all students to play at least 1 sport? They had a great turnout for football same with Mooseheart
I do. I went to Lake Forest Academy and we had the same rule. I think it was throughput the entire Independent School League

My cousin’s son is going to be a freshman at Provi ... not a single coach contacted him, but mainly, it’s because he’s tiny and prefers theater.

How many remember when North Shore Country Day required all students to play at least 1 sport? They had a great turnout for football same with Mooseheart

Lake Forest Academy was like that too. Maybe they still are. I think underclassmen had to participate in at least two sport seasons a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach Percy
It was one sport but most did 2 or 3
Lake Forest Academy was like that too. Maybe they still are. I think underclassmen had to participate in at least two sport seasons a year.
It was one but most did 2. Unfortunately they have fallen off so badly that we only have a 8-man team. Messed up considering we had a team of 50 guys but the school only had 250 kids

I don't expect much agreement here, not on a site that is virtually loaded with former football players. Edgy could field a pretty good team with all the ex-players who congregate here, and he would make a pretty good coach himself. But I've heard lions and elephants roar that there will always be a circus, and they kept on roaring their defiance right up until Ringling Bros. took down the tents for the last time a couple of years ago.

Could you ever see the day when Friday Night Lights is a high school soccer game?

Me either.

Reactions: Gene K.
It was one sport but most did 2 or 3

It was one but most did 2. Unfortunately they have fallen off so badly that we only have a 8-man team. Messed up considering we had a team of 50 guys but the school only had 250 kids

It was 3 sports when I was there for both freshman and sophomores. 2 for juniors. 1 for seniors. Not sure if that has changed.

They went to 8-man a few years back. There were only 25 guys in the school playing football.

It was 3 sports when I was there for both freshman and sophomores. 2 for juniors. 1 for seniors. Not sure if that has changed.

They went to 8-man a few years back. There were only 25 guys in the school playing football.
I'm Class of 92. What yr did you graduate?

Just checked their football schedules: Varsity/JV/Freshman with all Freshman games prior to varsity games on Friday night and all JV games Saturday morning.

Isn't the reason they moved freshmen games to Friday to create a gap for JV? I know most schools are going freshman-varsity on Friday, JV on Monday so people who played a handful of plays in varsity game can get more time on JV. Is this not the case?

Reactions: Gene K.
I was like no way Conant has 6 players on freshman and palatine has 70.With the schools being from same general area.

Even though they are in same school district, they draw from different towns. Palatine is obvious. Conant draws from Elk Grove, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Roselle and Hanover Park

Isn't the reason they moved freshmen games to Friday to create a gap for JV? I know most schools are going freshman-varsity on Friday, JV on Monday so people who played a handful of plays in varsity game can get more time on JV. Is this not the case?

Well these JV games are scheduled for Saturday AM so IDK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT