ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen Numbers?

Oct 27, 2016
Challenges well beyond the CPL

Glenbrook South had only 10 freshman come out this year. and were down to 9 about an hour in due to season ending injury. For those you don't know, school enrollment is close to 3000.

Will likely have no freshman program and will have a combined frosh-soph (which wont have more than 30).

Ironicaly had a very strong 7th-8th grade program yet many of them chose to enroll in another area high school with a penchant for winning titles.

Low numbers are definitely an issue.

Anyone have any Frosh updated numbers, since practice has officially started, from the earlier thread?

coaches cannot take for granted kids are just going to come out! Esp at public schools. Gary Kohornen, HOF coach at Richards, used to recruit his own district like they were going to a private school I heard him say that if i cant keep the kids in my own district I dont deserve them. Totally agree and respect that!

Porters around 81...may pick up a few more after first day of student attendance

Glenbrook South had only 10 freshman come out this year. and were down to 9 about an hour in due to season ending injury. For those you don't know, school enrollment is close to 3000.

Will likely have no freshman program and will have a combined frosh-soph (which wont have more than 30).

Ironicaly had a very strong 7th-8th grade program yet many of them chose to enroll in another area high school with a penchant for winning titles.
Go Ramblers! We will take them!

Reactions: lookoutforliam

3000 kids.1,500 boys say.375 kids per class.You would think that 50/60 out for football even 40 wouldn’t be out of the question.Should have a A & B team,Good Soph Numbers & solid Varsity.Instead this.Happens At Argo each year.See all these huge kids in the stands either too damn stupid or lazy or both to play

3000 kids.1,500 boys say.375 kids per class.You would think that 50/60 out for football even 40 wouldn’t be out of the question.Should have a A & B team,Good Soph Numbers & solid Varsity.Instead this.Happens At Argo each year.See all these huge kids in the stands either too damn stupid or lazy or both to play

Some more info. I heard the GBS number was 12, but still the same overall point is true.

Glenview Jr titan had 65-70 at the 7th/8th grade level so there is some interest there. I know club lacrosse is a factor, but can't believe its the only factor.

One of the challenges in Glenview and really most of northern burbs is that aren't many jr high football programs outside of parochial schools so kids dont get the pride of playing for their school.

Was just at The Glen and saw kids riding bikes who should be at football practice.

coaches cannot take for granted kids are just going to come out! Esp at public schools. Gary Kohornen, HOF coach at Richards, used to recruit his own district like they were going to a private school I heard him say that if i cant keep the kids in my own district I dont deserve them. Totally agree and respect that!
With all due respect to the late, great Coach Korhonen - staff recruiting efforts sometimes spilled over into the entire D218 district, not just the Richards attendance area to the dismay of those at Eisenhower and Shepard high schools.

Did they already start school and still have 10?

I’m hearing that CoM and Ignatius are not fielding freshmen teams this year

Iggy hasn’t fielded a freshman only team ever I don’t think. Freshman who played went straight to Sophomore. I think Football will end at Iggy in a few years. It was a good idea to bring it back and they have one of the coolest fields with a killer skyline view but kids don’t go to their to play Football...they thrived without it for decades and I think they won’t lose a beat if they drop the program.

C of M not fielding a Freshman team though is concerning...

Unless someone makes a shock-proof helmet, concussions, CTE, and high-profile suicides will ultimately doom football. The rise of soccer nationally will also contribute to its demise. This isn't what I hope will happen, but it seems inevitable.

Last edited:
There will always be HS football,actually I’m hearing some youth programs numbers are up.I think when a HS program is loosing for a couple yrs it’s very hard to recover quickly from that era,takes a special coach or group of kids to get back on track.Main West is a good example.

MC has mid 70’s in Jordan Lynch’s first recruiting class. Up about 20 from the past couple years.

The Blackhawks suck again so the Hockey Boom that was created when the Hawks were hot is coming to end so Football will be back!

Reactions: Schwab54
Some more info. I heard the GBS number was 12, but still the same overall point is true.

Glenview Jr titan had 65-70 at the 7th/8th grade level so there is some interest there. I know club lacrosse is a factor, but can't believe its the only factor.

One of the challenges in Glenview and really most of northern burbs is that aren't many jr high football programs outside of parochial schools so kids dont get the pride of playing for their school.
And again not to pick on Argo as I know it happens all over but I was friends with guys there & for years so much talent was in the stands & not on the field.Ofc then again you had magical Tinley Park win State with 26 players only 1 of which got moved up for the playoffs in 1986

Unless someone makes a shock-proof helmet, concussions, CTE, and high-profile suicides will ultimately doom football. The rise of soccer nationally will also contribute to its demise. This isn't what I hope will happen, but it seems inevitable.
I love reading old newspapers so as to see about old high school football.Back in early 70’s the sun times was talking about football being dangerous.I laugh at the parents talking about signing their kids up for soccer.Soccer is more dangerous as are other sports than football

They have been saying this since the 80's. IMO soccer has absolutely nothing to do with the decline in high school football numbers.

Reactions: JolietWest89
Iggy hasn’t fielded a freshman only team ever I don’t think. Freshman who played went straight to Sophomore. I think Football will end at Iggy in a few years. It was a good idea to bring it back and they have one of the coolest fields with a killer skyline view but kids don’t go to their to play Football...they thrived without it for decades and I think they won’t lose a beat if they drop the program.

Which means JCA now has 4 teams on it's schedule that do not have freshmen teams. I really hope they can find a team to fill in those weeks.

Call Maine South the week they play GBS is one of the weeks JCA has no game unless they already filled it.

Pretty sure they played Maine South last year at the freshmen level for the same reason.

And again not to pick on Argo as I know it happens all over but I was friends with guys there & for years so much talent was in the stands & not on the field.Ofc then again you had magical Tinley Park win State with 26 players only 1 of which got moved up for the playoffs in 1986
Seven of those TP players went both ways, so luckily the days of hurry-up were years away. Performing at that pace offensively then turning around to do the same defensively makes 2-way play different these days. Additionally in present times, most offenses stretch the field more horizontally and vertically causing 2-way guys to run more on both sides of the ball when out there.

Reactions: superac777
While I understand there are many factors to numbers being down across the board, it works and will work at a school that is fully committed to winning and providing an avenue for kids to get scholarships.

The schools that have steady numbers or even improved freshman numbers are the schools that invest into the game.

I don't expect much agreement here, not on a site that is virtually loaded with former football players. Edgy could field a pretty good team with all the ex-players who congregate here, and he would make a pretty good coach himself. But I've heard lions and elephants roar that there will always be a circus, and they kept on roaring their defiance right up until Ringling Bros. took down the tents for the last time a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Their brand new football field and track nears completion across from the school, looks nice. wont be as much shade as the current setup. directly across from UIC's Granderson Baseball stadium which has a softball field and multiple baseball fields (turf).....a sports complex on Roosevelt

Reactions: Gene K.
I don't expect much agreement here, not on a site that is virtually loaded with former football players. Edgy could field a pretty good team with all the ex-players who congregate here, and he would make a pretty good coach himself. But I've heard lions and elephants roar that there will always be a circus, and they kept on roaring their defiance right up until Ringling Bros. took down the tents for the last time a couple of years ago.
That's interesting. I've never heard a lion or elephant make a comment on anything, let alone the circus.

Seven of those TP players went both ways, so luckily the days of hurry-up were years away. Performing at that pace offensively then turning around to do the same defensively makes 2-way play different these days. Additionally in present times, most offenses stretch the field more horizontally and vertically causing 2-way guys to run more on both sides of the ball when out there.
That was a special run

MS over 60. More probably on the way. Up quite a bit from last year.

With all due respect to the late, great Coach Korhonen - staff recruiting efforts sometimes spilled over into the entire D218 district, not just the Richards attendance area to the dismay of those at Eisenhower and Shepard high schools.

100% accurate!

They have been saying this since the 80's. IMO soccer has absolutely nothing to do with the decline in high school football numbers.

I come from a community which was the opposite. Manteno's fall boys sports were golf and cross-country up through the 1980's. As a result, the CC team developed into a powerhouse because it was the premier boys sport at Manteno.

In the late 80's, a group of parents approached the school board about starting soccer. The board told them to prove that the community had support for the sport and that there was a demand - ie create a youth league and be successful. Manteno Youth Soccer Association started, and it became wildly successful fairly quickly. It absorbed the communities of Peotone, Beecher, Grant Park and Momence as well...Over 1000 kids got into the program every year, probably 300+ were Manteno kids. Soccer quickly was started at the high school, and it was the primary boys sport at MHS by the late 90's...MHS was still mid-300's enrollment then, and they could field a full varsity and soph soccer team. Girls soccer has put a number of state trophies into the Manteno trophy case...

Mid-90's a group of parents went to the school board wanting to see the school start football. School board took the same approach, prove the demand...Some doubted it would happen because so many kids were playing soccer. Dedicated group of parents went out and pulled it off...Manteno and Peotone in fact both started their youth football leagues at about the same time (Peotone HS started football in the early 70's, did a school flag league 5-6 grade in late 70's & early 80's). Both attracted enough kids from the MYSA monster to become established youth leagues. Couple years of the youth league convinced the Manteno school board to start football...freshman schedule in 2000, F & JV in 2001, full I-8 varsity in 2002.

Starting youth football in Manteno & Peotone at the same time put a dent in the MYSA, but it never put the soccer folks in fear of folding. The soccer league had gotten so big that it became homeless a couple of times, to the point it told the other towns they had to find space in their towns for teams to practice and play games. In fact, soccer basically forced football to enter into a lease for open property at the Veterans Home to develop their own complex...

What we have found is rarely do kids who play football quit to play soccer. Kids will start in soccer and move to football when they get older, however...Coaches can look at the 5th grade level and see which kids are likely to play football and which will play soccer and plan appropriately - because 7/8 grade kids sometimes choose to just play school baseball and not play football or soccer.

Conversely, Wilmington is a football town first. The Bobcats youth league has a beautiful complex. The soccer league has a patch of grass behind a nursing home...I've been to several Wildcat purple & white nights and seen soccer teams with only 12 or 13 kids total...barely enough to field a team, guaranteeing every player a varsity letter.

I've said it before - soccer is a much bigger threat to cross country than it is to football...

From what I heard CoM does have a freshman team but not a sophmore team. Freshmen will play Libertyville Friday night prior to the varsity game.

Reactions: USD24
From what I heard CoM does have a freshman team but not a sophmore team. Freshmen will play Libertyville Friday night prior to the varsity game.

Just checked their football schedules: Varsity/JV/Freshman with all Freshman games prior to varsity games on Friday night and all JV games Saturday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT