ADVERTISEMENT

Flyer & all Illinois Fans

To say fieldgoals are overrated in FBS football is astoundingly dense.
When teams are scoring 35-40 ppg, they just aren't as valuable as they were several years ago.

Esp when you are running your fg kicker out there for 45yd fg att

IMO
So after watching the game I had a few take aways. Good & Not so good.

The good.
-ESL is the real deal.
-The play with plenty of confidence
-Very Athletic, fast
-Tons of talent
-Very Big, with a lot of D-1 players

The not so good.
-They are not a disciplined team
-To many penalties. Not just in this game
-No kicking game

The ceiling is very high for ESL. The talent, speed and size will always give teams fits and win State Championships especially in 5-6A. I wish they played in 7-8A because they are good enough to play these teams each week. If ESL wants to play on the National level they will have to clean up and develop in the two areas I pointed out above because they won’t beat the top teams in the country with no kicking game and have penalties like we just witnessed.
My takeaway is in no way a slam on the Flyers and they are really good it’s just my opinion and I truly wish them the best of luck. I am an LWE fan first but I am becoming a Flyer fan.

Wishing you all the best, good luck on the rest of the season. I hope you guys get moved to 6A.

When teams are scoring 35-40 ppg, they just aren't as valuable as they were several years ago.

Esp when you are running your fg kicker out there for 45yd fg att

I completely disagree. The kicking game is important. It changes momentum if you can get points rather than walking away with nothing. It also plays a factor in the outcome of close games ask LWE in week 2.

I wish people will stop with the kicking game. It won’t happen. I have been around 20 years with the team hiring three kicking coaches. After the MC loss in 17, the team hired a white kicking coach from Chicago who kicked at Illinois State. I only highlight his race simply because ESL is an all black community and program therefore culture is somewhat different. None of that mattered in an attempt to fix a concern.

At some point you have to face reality and understand that your program will not be great at every phase of the game. It’s high school football. There are teams that will gladly trade their kicker for a couple of our skill guys. In the end you have to make the best decision for the team. Yes Luther Burden can kick extra points however, every team will try and take him out while kicking extra points! These are facts and not worth the risk. There is another kid that is 50/50 right now. Once he get to 7/8 out of 10, you will see him kick instead of going for 2. It is what it is.

As far as penalties are concerned, I agree with false start, illegal procedure, offside, delay of game, encroachment, etc. Those are things you can control. Those penalties determine “discipline”. Judgement call penalties I am not concern with as you shouldn’t expect a fair fight at their place. What they can do to you, you can’t do to them.

Most on this board won’t understand because most teams only play Illinois schools. In the end it was a great learning experience and I can say with confidence that the top teams in every state are at the same level. Hype is based on location and not so much skill. They were a good team but not hands down better than every team in Illinois.

This video confirms that game could have easily gone the other way. Few end zone catches in the first half and all of Illinois football would be celebrating right now.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I wish people will stop with the kicking game. It won’t happen. I have been around 20 years with the team hiring three kicking coaches. After the MC loss in 17, the team hired a white kicking coach from Chicago who kicked at Illinois State. I only highlight his race simply because ESL is an all black community and program therefore culture is somewhat different. None of that mattered in an attempt to fix a concern.

At some point you have to face reality and understand that your program will not be great at every phase of the game. It’s high school football. There are teams that will gladly trade their kicker for a couple of our skill guys. In the end you have to make the best decision for the team. Yes Luther Burden can kick extra points however, every team will try and take him out while kicking extra points! These are facts and not worth the risk. There is another kid that is 50/50 right now. Once he get to 7/8 out of 10, you will see him kick instead of going for 2. It is what it is.

As far as penalties are concerned, I agree with false start, illegal procedure, offside, delay of game, encroachment, etc. Those are things you can control. Those penalties determine “discipline”. Judgement call penalties I am not concern with as you shouldn’t expect a fair fight at their place. What they can do to you, you can’t do to them.

Most on this board won’t understand because most teams only play Illinois schools. In the end it was a great learning experience and I can say with confidence that the top teams in every state are at the same level. Hype is based on location and not so much skill. They were a good team but not hands down better than every team in Illinois.
Per Edgy, 37 kids on their roster have D1 offers. That’s skill, not hype

you are right. What I witnessed in person takes a back seat to Edgy’s report. My mistake.
I don’t think what you saw in person would take a backseat, however what you saw in person was 1 game. In 2019 I think it was after the ESL vs NV game (or some similar 8A team) when ESL won a close game and gave up 48 or so points and people were saying they couldn’t be the best team in Illinois because their defense wasn’t good. Many opinions were based on that 1 game, and we all know that’s a terrible way to determine the capabilities of a kid or team. I am positive that in 2019 ESL had at least a few great defensive players.

Reactions: Gene K.
SJB is right where should be at #3. I saw nothing that would change my mind. They have the toughest schedule in the country. We will see if they are the real deal as the season progresses. They play #1 Mater Dei in a few weeks, I am sure this game will tell us plenty.

I don’t think what you saw in person would take a backseat, however what you saw in person was 1 game. In 2019 I think it was after the ESL vs NV game (or some similar 8A team) when ESL won a close game and gave up 48 or so points and people were saying they couldn’t be the best team in Illinois because their defense wasn’t good. Many opinions were based on that 1 game, and we all know that’s a terrible way to determine the capabilities of a kid or team. I am positive that in 2019 ESL had at least a few great defensive players.
I don’t disagree with it being one game. I never said Bosco wasn’t good. What I said was the top team in this state can play with the top teams in the other 49 states in this country. Hype is hype. ESL is a recipient of this to a degree as well in Illinois. They do not have 37 D1 kids on that roster and I am 100% sure of it.

Reactions: caravan8
I completely disagree. The kicking game is important. It changes momentum if you can get points rather than walking away with nothing. It also plays a factor in the outcome of close games ask LWE in week 2.
I didn't say it should be abandoned. Just that it was overvalued in todays football, esp wrt to the discussion of esl developing a kicker.

Ive never broke down the stats, but id bet the farm over the past decade esl is above 50% 2pt conversion rate. Id bet other really good teams could similarly be above 50% of you asked them to go get 3yds.

I don’t disagree with it being one game. I never said Bosco wasn’t good. What I said was the top team in this state can play with the top teams in the other 49 states in this country. Hype is hype. ESL is a recipient of this to a degree as well in Illinois. They do not have 37 D1 kids on that roster and I am 100% sure of it.
"So how stacked is St. John Bosco you ask? The Braves roster features 18 players from the Class of 2022 holding scholarship offers with three players ranked as 4 star recruits, twelve 3 stars and one 2 star ranked names according to Rivals.com. The Class of 2023 features 10 players holding scholarship offers including four 4 star recruits along with three 3 star names. The Class of 2024 also features 7 players already holding early scholarship offers this fall."

This is directly from Edgy's scouting report on Bosco. I miscounted, Bosco has 35 players with D1 offers. It really doesn't matter what you think, the fact is D1 college coaches believe there are 35 D1 kids on the team.

Co-sign this entire post. I think having a great kicking game in HS football is a luxury. It would be really nice to have a kicker who makes 9/10 XP's let alone a 40 yad FG with a legit rush coming. Ive seen LWC and Sandburg have phenomenal kickers, I'm talking about 50 yarders, and lucky for them they did because they werent getting to the endzone against us with any regularity. They probably wouldve traded those kickers for Dale Martin and Aaron Bailey without hesitation.

Penalties I could go on all day about. OPRF coach Hoerster said it best in the "America To Me" documentary.

Also, I watched the Bishop Amat/Bosco game last week and could easily tell they weren't what they were hyped up to be. Unfortunately on this board "out of state" = better. Hell, on Pigskin Preview they were hyping up Cardinal Ritter as a great win for JCA. Ritter beat Cahokia by 2. Meanwhile on the same show H-F hasnt been lighting the world on fire, they beat Cahokia 21-6.

Make it make sense.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
"So how stacked is St. John Bosco you ask? The Braves roster features 18 players from the Class of 2022 holding scholarship offers with three players ranked as 4 star recruits, twelve 3 stars and one 2 star ranked names according to Rivals.com. The Class of 2023 features 10 players holding scholarship offers including four 4 star recruits along with three 3 star names. The Class of 2024 also features 7 players already holding early scholarship offers this fall."

This is directly from Edgy's scouting report on Bosco. I miscounted, Bosco has 35 players with D1 offers. It really doesn't matter what you think, the fact is D1 college coaches believe there are 35 D1 kids on the team.

ESL has player with Rivals D1 offer who don't have D1 offers! I don't care what you think or what rivals wrote. I been around the recruiting game for 20 years and they don't have 35 D1 kids. Wait until signing day and count the number!

I will also add that NO offer is real until the end of their junior year and beginning of Senior year when the official offer letter comes on the first of August!

ESL has player with Rivals D1 offer who don't have D1 offers! I don't care what you think or what rivals wrote. I been around the recruiting game for 20 years and they don't have 35 D1 kids. Wait until signing day and count the number!

I will also add that NO offer is real until the end of their junior year and beginning of Senior year when the official offer letter comes on the first of August!
Also even if they gave 35 D1 kids only 11 can play at a time.

Well if you say so. I'll put more credence in the nationally recognized recruiting service than the poster who has been 'around the recruiting game for 20 years'. I didnt write it, Edgy did. Take it up with him. And the original point was that someone said this team was more hype than skill. My point was, that according to people who do this for a living, this team has quite a bit of skill.

Well if you say so. I'll put more credence in the nationally recognized recruiting service than the poster who has been 'around the recruiting game for 20 years'. I didnt write it, Edgy did. Take it up with him. And the original point was that someone said this team was more hype than skill. My point was, that according to people who do this for a living, this team has quite a bit of skill.

I hear you. I said it's more hype that skill and I understand you don't know who I am. I am fine with you taking whatever stance you like. I gave my opinion and you took the time to try and prove differently. "Hype" was based on what was written, reality was based on what was seen. I am good with whatever you think. I don't have to try and discredit you. I do however stand on my statement!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and USD24

I dont put alot of weight in to that. I remember a few years ago Harbaugh offered every kid on IMG...so did they actually have 75ish D1 kids?

Well if you say so. I'll put more credence in the nationally recognized recruiting service than the poster who has been 'around the recruiting game for 20 years'. I didnt write it, Edgy did. Take it up with him. And the original point was that someone said this team was more hype than skill. My point was, that according to people who do this for a living, this team has quite a bit of skill
This article mentions that they have 39 players with offers. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty damn deep if you ask me. lol What's even scarier is that on the Bosco stream for the Flyer game, the broadcasters mentioned that several of Bosco's starters were out because of covid protocols and a few to injury. With the exception of the Bosco kids appearing to lose interest in the 3rd after going up big, "skill," "hype," whatever anyone wants to call it, they looked like a really good football team to me and the Flyers being able to mount a decent comeback against that team is a testament to the Flyers. https://www.presstelegram.com/2021/...siasm-confidence-at-trinity-league-media-day/

Reactions: flyerforlife
Co-sign this entire post. I think having a great kicking game in HS football is a luxury. It would be really nice to have a kicker who makes 9/10 XP's let alone a 40 yad FG with a legit rush coming. Ive seen LWC and Sandburg have phenomenal kickers, I'm talking about 50 yarders, and lucky for them they did because they werent getting to the endzone against us with any regularity. They probably wouldve traded those kickers for Dale Martin and Aaron Bailey without hesitation.

Penalties I could go on all day about. OPRF coach Hoerster said it best in the "America To Me" documentary.

Also, I watched the Bishop Amat/Bosco game last week and could easily tell they weren't what they were hyped up to be. Unfortunately on this board "out of state" = better. Hell, on Pigskin Preview they were hyping up Cardinal Ritter as a great win for JCA. Ritter beat Cahokia by 2. Meanwhile on the same show H-F hasnt been lighting the world on fire, they beat Cahokia 21-6.

Make it make sense.
I might not say this about states like Ca, FL and Tx, but I've always felt like IL highschool football is generally better than MO.

This article mentions that they have 39 players with offers. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty damn deep if you ask me. lol What's even scarier is that on the Bosco stream for the Flyer game, the broadcasters mentioned that several of Bosco's starters were out because of covid protocols and a few to injury. With the exception of the Bosco kids appearing to lose interest in the 3rd after going up big, "skill," "hype," whatever anyone wants to call it, they looked like a really good football team to me and the Flyers being able to mount a decent comeback against that team is a testament to the Flyers. https://www.presstelegram.com/2021/...siasm-confidence-at-trinity-league-media-day/
“Hype.” Simply put, you had to be there. Sometimes you’re the nail and sometimes you’re the hammer. ESL has had its experiences being both. This game never felt as though we were the nail. Now St. John Bosco is a GREAT team, but it didn’t feel like they were a juggernaut. It was 0-0 with us having more production by the end of the 1st Quarter. Bosco then went 1.5 quarters driving the game (with officials getting more involved). Then, with the exception of the 1st successful deep route and last touchdown of the game, we drove the final 1.5 quarters. We forced 3 Bosco turnovers while Bosco had none on us. Being there, you would know that the game was a lot more even than the score reflected. Ultimately, our offense unusually coming up short earlier on drives where we were knocking at their door (touchdown pass drops), IMO, costed us big and caused our defense to get frustrated. We let up a bit defensively and Bosco capitalized with big plays. When our defense and offense got back in sync, we had our way with them later; just as they had with us a bit earlier. It felt similar to when we are more often than not, only better than Edwardsville, while at the same time being exponentially better (juggernaut/ hammer) than all the other SWC schools; typically being up 35+ to 0 in the first quarter. This game was never this way enough for Bosco to “lose interest.”

Last edited:
“Hype.” Simply put, you had to be there. Sometimes you’re the nail and sometimes you’re the hammer. ESL has had its experiences being both. This game never felt as though we were the nail. Now St. John Bosco is a GREAT team, but it didn’t feel like they were a juggernaut. It was 0-0 with us having more production by the end of the 1st Quarter. Bosco then went 1.5 quarters driving the game (with officials getting more involved). Then, with the exception of the 1st successful deep route and last touchdown of the game, we drove the final 1.5 quarters. We forced 3 Bosco turnovers while Bosco had none on us. Being there, you would know that the game was a lot more even than the score reflected. Ultimately, our offense unusually coming up short earlier on drives where we were knocking at their door (touchdown pass drops), IMO, costed us big and caused our defense to get frustrated. We let up a bit defensively and Bosco capitalized with big plays. When our defense and offense got back in sync, we had our way with them later; just as they had with us a bit earlier. It felt similar to when we are more often than not, only better than Edwardsville, while at the same time being exponentially better (juggernaut/ hammer) than all the other SWC schools; typically being up 35+ to 0 in the first quarter. This game was never this way enough for Bosco to “lose interest.”

As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT