ADVERTISEMENT

Fat Johnnie's Legend Teddy Dies

Sad day. Loved stopping and seeing Teddy and the crew there. RIP

Teddy played football at St.Laurence and was a Burbank guy.He had his demons and he is at peace.His family & he are super people.Lived at 7823 Major,I lived 7823 Parkside.Each year at Christmas John,Teddy and Family had his house decorated like none other.They also each 4th of July would shoot off a fireworks display that put many cities shows to shame.John would also give us lots of fireworks and often treated me to free hot dogs and fries as I was his newspaper carrier.I am a bit older than Teddy but my good upbringing forged a lifelong friendship with John,Teddy his family and I.Teddy ventured to my house to trade baseball cards.He had some very old ones and I trade about a hundred reruns of 70's cards for maybe 10 runs of early 50's cards he had but told him I couldn't be dishonest.He got mad and told his dad.His dad came over and thanked me for not taking advantage of his son and said those her Teddy's cards when he got older.He said you could've had taken my son to the cleaners and I said I love you guys you don't do that.John is semi retired and much of the family lives now in NW Indiana so I'm not sure of the fate of Fat Johnnie's

Rea
Teddy played football at St.Laurence and was a Burbank guy.He had his demons and he is at peace.His family & he are super people.Lived at 7823 Major,I lived 7823 Parkside.Each year at Christmas John,Teddy and Family had his house decorated like none other.They also each 4th of July would shoot off a fireworks display that put many cities shows to shame.John would also give us lots of fireworks and often treated me to free hot dogs and fries as I was his newspaper carrier.I am a bit older than Teddy but my good upbringing forged a lifelong friendship with John,Teddy his family and I.Teddy ventured to my house to trade baseball cards.He had some very old ones and I trade about a hundred reruns of 70's cards for maybe 10 runs of early 50's cards he had but told him I couldn't be dishonest.He got mad and told his dad.His dad came over and thanked me for not taking advantage of his son and said those her Teddy's cards when he got older.He said you could've had taken my son to the cleaners and I said I love you guys you don't do that.John is semi retired and much of the family lives now in NW Indiana so I'm not sure of the fate of Fat Johnnie's
Really touching story. Thank you for sharing.

I never met Teddy, and I've never been to Fat Johnnies, but I grew up in the South Side.

I don't recall seeing a hot dog stand there in the 50s, but we did have elderly men pushing small metal hot dog carts around 63rd and Ashland toward the end of that decade. The hot dogs were incredible. They also sold hot tamales. There were other carts selling things like sno-cones, too. All the carts were manned by characters who, like Teddy, will be the subject of stories for decades to come.

RIP Teddy

Remember going to watch the softball games under the lights at 47th & Damen where the hot dogs and tamale carts were on display. Great memories.

Reactions: RockSoup
I never met Teddy, and I've never been to Fat Johnnies, but I grew up in the South Side.

I don't recall seeing a hot dog stand there in the 50s, but we did have elderly men pushing small metal hot dog carts around 63rd and Ashland toward the end of that decade. The hot dogs were incredible. They also sold hot tamales. There were other carts selling things like sno-cones, too. All the carts were manned by characters who, like Teddy, will be the subject of stories for decades to come.

RIP Teddy
Best dogs ever!! EVER!

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT