ADVERTISEMENT

Eyeball Passers: Boom Midwest Best of the Best Showcase

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I was able to spend some time checking out the annual Boom Midwest Best of the Best showcase event. Boom always has been a terrific host and again thanks to JR and the entire Boom organization for the great overall hospitality today. Since I will be hosting my own showcase tomorrow along with a family requirement I was able to spend 3 hours or so here but unfortunately missed more of the one on ones than I expected. I was able to see the majority of kids in testing and positional drill work here. Again Boom had roughly 300 plus kids so seeing everyone is a pretty tough task but I try my best to see and cover as much as I can.

63 WR Rob Boyd East St Louis 2023- Boyd is a veteran of these camps and he's gotten, bigger, strong and is just more and more impressive4 every time I get to see him in person. Boyd has good size and speed, has added more muscle and is a multi-positional high level athlete in my opinion.

74 WR Kyan Berry-Johnson Bolingbrook 2024- Will be a highly sought after name in the 2024 class....and Kryan already has a ton of Power 5 looks this winter.

77 TE/DE Gavin Johnson Warren Township 2023- Good sized kid who looks like he could end up becoming another strong rush end and once again Warren is in no short supply of talented underclassmen.

93 WR/TE Nick True Jacobs 6-foot-6, 189 pounds 2023- Big, tall and long receiver who I feel will grow into a major TE at the high college level. Didn't see much one on ones or much positional work but he has the physical tools to become a higher profile name for sure.

104 OL/DL Braeden Jones Pershing East (Junior High) 6-foot-4, 245 pounds 2026 Here you go Mount Carmel fans here is your next big thing. Kid is still in grade school, came here and just his on the hoof look alone was impressive. Will be a big time name over the next several years if things go well for him...was wearing all kinds of MC gear as well.

106 OL Brandon Hansen Mundelein 6-foot-6, 288 pounds 2024- Impressive iid on the hoof who also moves really well. Has a big and long frame and width, has solid length and I'm more than intrigued to see more of this young man. No doubt his recruiting stock will benefit from being at this event.

108 OL Nick Strelczyk ST Rita 6-foot-4, 2305 pounds 2023- Is it me or doe4s St Rita have a machine that just spits out very solid linemen in the 6-foot-4, 300 pound range? Liked what limited I saw from Nick here.

110 OL Jacob Klink Hononegah 6-foot-4, 388 pounds 2023- Will be an interesting recruiting process to watch this year....Klink is a huge kid physically who will not easily pass eyeball test from bigger D1 schools and doesn't have what many would consider an ideal frame ...yet his feet, power, punch, overall brute strength and quickness for his size is unquestioned.

111 OL Gabe Rosen Evanston 2023- Great sized kid who moves pretty well and was easily one of the top OL at this camp.

171 QB Michael Champagne Glenbard South 2024- Is coming off a very strong 2021 fall season on the varsity level. Michael has a terrific arm, touch and tools and he will need to continue to grow and add much more good weight and strength to play at a higher level in college. His game is pretty much there...but will the physical growth and more development follow?

172 WR Donovan Olugbode Montini 6-foot-2, 179 pounds 2025- Montini has some impressive young kids including Olugbode who just looks the part at this early stage.

180 QB Ethan Plumb St Charles North 6-foot-3, 187 pounds 2025- 2025? This kid already looks like physically he could pass as a college player. and throws a pretty strong football as well. No question a name to watch.

226 QB Carson Boyd 5-foot-10, 160 pounds 2025- Another standout athlete for East Side who also throws a really good ball. Boyd will also draw recruiting looks at a handful of various positions and his game at QB is really solid here.

237 DB Jailen Duffie Warren Township 2023- Love Duffie physical makeup, tools and potential to develop into a D1 level DB. Always comes to compete and he a really long and athletic defender with great instincts.

254 WR Logan Lester Kenwood 6-foot-3, 190 pounds- Easily one of the top overall athletes here. Logan played receiver here and can also play pretty much any other position he wants....he has that high level athletic skills and tools.

256 Jake May Bolingbrook 5-foot-11, 194 pounds 2023- Just an impressive all around defender who was pretty strong in various drill work.

259 QB Diego Gutierrez Riverside-Brookfield 2024- Been a varsity starter since his freshman year...very solid thrower who also has a strong and capable arm and arm talent.

260 WR Grant Larkin Neuqua Valley 6-foot-1, 180 pounds 2023- Steady player, runs terrific routs and has really good hands.

278 QB Cole Teschner Montini 6-foot-2, 206 pounds 2023- Always solid at these events....and was again here today.

289 OL Tyler Washington Hubbard 6-foot-5.5 281 pounds- No idea about this kid but he ran well, moves well for his size and is still raw in technique his raw tools are eye opening for sure.

290 DE Karl Schmaltz Niles ND 2023- Another name who caught my attention here. Has good size, really good length and reach and also showed some explosiveness as well.

322 WR Brandon Woods TF South 6-foot-3, 185 pounds 2023- TF South kid who has good sixe, runs well.

OL Giovanni PamFili Hinsdale Central 6-foot-5, 287 pounds 2023- Pretty solid on the hood I didn't get to see much in drills/positional work but I definitely will look into him a bit more.

406 QB Elijah Owens Jacksonville 6-foot-1, 213 pounds 2023- Has gotten bigger and stronger from last year. Has a big arm and unfortunately it's hard to really show that off in this indoor setting. Smooth release and touch as well.

416 S/WR/RB Kanye Tyler Pekin 6-foot-0, 174 pounds 2023- Played RB for Pekin and has the athletic ability to play a handful of positions at the college level. Has really good size and physical tools....and I have a feeling more and more MAC/FCS schools will look harder at Tyler.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News