Position: WR

High School: Simeon

Graduation Year: 2023

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 200 pounds

Recruiting Status: Uncommitted

Video Link:

My impressions of Malik Elzy:

Malik Elzy has been on my recruiting radar screen since his freshman season at Simeon. Elzy has also been drawing serious college recruiting looks and adding scholarship offers since that same freshman season. Elzy is a big, strong and very well put together kid who no question passes the all important eyeball test in person. Elzy is also a somewhat low key personality off the field, yet he's also a well spoken young man who is incredibly giving of his time and is always very cooperative with various media.

Evaluation of Malik Elzy:

Malik Elzy on the hoof passes the all important eyeball test, has great size and strength and has a frame that has allowed him to get to 200 pounds on the high school level . Elzy in my eyes is already college ready physically and can slide onto a college roster and challenge for reps and playing time immediately. Elzy runs well, has very good hands and his overall combination of hands, strong route running and ability to shed initial tacklers and gain yards after the catch is at a high level. Elzy is also a threat on the deep pass and has the length, reach and hops to be any opposing defensive backs for any jump ball scenarios. Elzy has good overall speed and his ability to make the tough catches, especially over the middle of the field is yet another real positive. Just based off of his physical tools and attributes, I would not be shocked to see some colleges look at Elzy as more of an athlete type who has the frame and physical tools to grow and develop as more of a TE at the high college level. In some ways Malik Elzy physically at this stage of his high school career reminds me a bit of former Providence Catholic/Notre Dame and NFL WR Miles Boykin.

Room for improvement?

While Elzy physically is well advanced and is college ready in many ways, I also feel his overall game and fundamentals and technique is still in many ways a work in progress. Elzy at times relies a bit too much on his physical tools, where he can just outmuscle and outreach lesser players at the high school level. Elzy will need to greatly improve his overall route running, making sure he finishes each rep as hard as possible. I also would love to see Elzy take more control of games and show his ability to become a more dominant player on both sides of the football at the high school level. I'm very interested to see just how much Elzy;s overall game will improve from what I saw in the fall season this coming fall. Elzy has so much upside and potential and that's unquestioned.....but can he take his already strong game and make it even stronger?

Projected level:

Malik Elzy is already holding multiple Power 5 scholarship offers this winter and will no question end up signing a Letter of Intent to play at the4 Power 5 level in college.

Rivals.com Ranking: Malik Elzy is currently ranked by Rivals.com as a 4 star ranked player in the Class of 2023. Elzy is also currently ranked by Rivals.com as the 181 best prospect in the nation and the 29th best receiver in the nation in the Class of 2023.

EDGYTIM Recommended Initial Rankings:

High Three star to a Low Four Star.

Malik Elzy will be playing college football at a very high level in 2023 who has a ton to offer at the Power 5 level. Elzy has great size, reach and impressive ball skills and awareness and again has the physical tools to take his game much higher from here on out. While in many ways Elzy has already proven his ability, in some other ways I feel he still has work to do to reach the highest level both from a rankings standpoint and a Power 5/highest level of college football standpoint. If Elzy makes the improvements I feel he can make this winter in his game, his ranking will continue to climb in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.