ADVERTISEMENT

ESL- The best in the state

Knee was down??? On a diving pass???
Many have already shared and you are the FIRST to say the call was correct.

Hopefully a similar call will be made in the favor of ESL and you will congratulate the refs on a job well done.
I just watched it again. I stopped it frame by frame as best I could. His knee clearly hits the ground first. You can’t actually see the ball for several frames. After his body turns 90° the ball is taken away.
My view of this play does not change.

if I understand the rules of IHSA football correctly, once the ball carriers knee is down the play is over. If he loses possession after his knee is down it is irrelevant.

Lol
Your are persistent I will give you that! Haha

Awwl, Corey:(:(:(

I’m persistent and TRUTHFUL!

Let’s see, haven’t not missed a game this year, I’ve traveled 5 hours 6 times booked three overnight stays in Chicagoland for an undefeated regular season with multiple running clocks!!

Were kinda invested.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I just watched it again. I stopped it frame by frame as best I could. His knee clearly hits the ground first. You can’t actually see the ball for several frames. After his body turns 90° the ball is taken away.

if I understand the rules of IHSA football correctly, once the ball carriers knee is down the play is over. If he loses possession after his knee is down it is irrelevant.

You’d do just fine in the NFL.

Awwl, Corey:(:(:(

I’m persistent and TRUTHFUL!

Let’s see, haven’t not missed a game this year, I’ve traveled 5 hours 6 times booked three overnight stays in Chicagoland for an undefeated regular season with multiple running clocks!!

Were kinda invested.

I just watched. ESL was the better team, that said they should of had several more penalties for excessive celebration and unsportsmanlike conduct. Their is a big time lack of discipline for such a talented team. They would struggle against any of these teams. East, Naz, MC, Warren, HF. I said it before and will repeat. The road in 7 & 8A is much more difficult to win a state championship IMO.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
I have seen more whining by ESL fans on this one thread than I have seen by all of the private schools combined on this board the entire year. “Everything is so unfair to Poor Little ESL. Every body hates us. “ whether you think that is how you sound or not, that is exactly how you sound to most of us.

We get it, ESL is a really really good team this year and almost every year. Most on this board have a lot of respect for ESL and what they’ve done in the past 30 years or so. I never saw anyone and this board dispute that until A couple of guys started whining and thumping their chests.
You reap what you sow.

BTW I still do and always will have very much respect for the football program at ESL regardless of the outcome on Saturday.

Some of the ESL posters on here, maybe not so much!

Raise your hand if you never felt your team was adversely affected by poorly officiated game. It happens, get over it.

If you think you can do better become an official!!

knee was down. This individual is a crazy person.

Reactions: Wolffan64
I doubt that 800 number for Mt Carmel. It must have been multiplied. SR"s looks high, as well

What's your source, please.

Google, and apparently they are inaccurate on MC. The others are relatively close.

Google, and apparently they are inaccurate on MC. The others are relatively close.
MC divide by 1.65 then by 2 for single sex school
SR divide by 2. Not multiplied this year.
Naz divide by 1.65 then by two to figure # of boys. IHSA believes there is one more male than female in school.

MC divide by 1.65 then by 2 for single sex school
SR divide by 2. Not multiplied this year.
Naz divide by 1.65 then by two to figure # of boys.

How about just take actual enrollment and multiply x 2 then x 1.65 for MC.

Then multiply x 2 for SR

Then multiply x 1.65 for Naz

How about just take actual enrollment and multiply x 2 then x 1.65 for MC.

Then multiply x 2 for SR

Then multiply x 1.65 for Naz
IHSA just lists football enrollment not actual. Shell and the pea on their part. The numbers are close but are off most of the time by one or two.

Reactions: mchsalumni
No he’s been away for a while. Early release for parole because of humanitarian reasons due to Thanksgiving holiday.

The really interesting part is @MC63 thinks Montini should compete in 7A with MC. A school with more than twice as many boys and a deeper tradition and alumni base with the exact same recruiting capability.

Seems fair, right?

Reactions: Gene K.
The really interesting part is @MC63 thinks Montini should compete in 7A with MC. A school with more than twice as many boys and a deeper tradition and alumni base with the exact same recruiting capability.

Seems fair, right?

Some time he's lucid sometime he's not, but he knows MC football.

Reactions: sivada2001
IHSA just lists football enrollment not actual. Shell and the pea on their part. The numbers are close but are off most of the time by one or two.

The page on the IHSA website titled "Two Year Cycle Enrollments and Classifications" lists every schools "actual" enrollment (doubled for all boys schools). These figures do not include the 1.65 multiplier which it says may be applied. SR does not have the multiplier applied, MC does.

The playoff summary by class lists each team with the 1.65 multiplier added in, if applicable.

Therefore MC is listed as 1237 on the overall page, but 2041.05 on the 7A Playoff Summary page, for example.

ESL high hasn’t been the same since Charles O’Malley headed off to New York. He was a great crooner and great Browns fan.

I'm curious.

Does anyone know how many actual boys (not multiplied) attend Naz, SR and MC
I’d venture to say the average enrollment of all three schools is 600 students...
Some time he's lucid sometime he's not, but he knows MC football.
Ha! 63 is my guy... Insightful, passionate and I always learn something when he talks. His perspective is derived from facts in most cases...

Tyler Macon threw for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over a 1,000. We had players with over 1,000 yards rushing last year. QB, and two rbs

I sure do. You play pretty much the same schedule as us, Rice, Loyola, and Marist during the season ... why not do it in the playoffs, as well? You might be small enrollment-wise, but, you play at or near the top of what is likely the toughest prep football conference in the country.There is no reason for you to be playing less sophisticated programs in the playoffs.

Period.

I just watched. ESL was the better team, that said they should of had several more penalties for excessive celebration and unsportsmanlike conduct. Their is a big time lack of discipline for such a talented team. They would struggle against any of these teams. East, Naz, MC, Warren, HF. I said it before and will repeat. The road in 7 & 8A is much more difficult to win a state championship IMO.

See this is why I have to comment. I expect you to be truthful and not a hater. Example, LWE came to Ofallon and celebrated damn near every play. Unfortunately they loss and was upset but hey, they don’t celebrate. I watched HF do the same thing to Ofallon and Edwardsville. Please don’t post BS just to make a point. Especially flat out lie when I was at the games I mentioned.

Bottom line is I can respect your opinion but unfortunately you can’t do the same. HF hasn’t beat anyone nor won state to compare them. I will also add we won state Twice in 7A. I can speak from experience with my opinion. You have yours and I have mine but to make a post about celebration and undisciplined is horse shit and beneath you!

Reactions: jha618
I sure do. You play pretty much the same schedule as us, Rice, Loyola, and Marist during the season ... why not do it in the playoffs, as well? You might be small enrollment-wise, but, you play at or near the top of what is likely the toughest prep football conference in the country.There is no reason for you to be playing less sophisticated programs in the playoffs.

Period.

Interestingly, except for MC not one of the schools you mentioned was on the Montini schedule this year, but ok?

Perhaps we could trade ... you get our Big Shoulders funds and our students' families get your average Oakbrook household income.

Seems fair.

Sure, as long as we can dump Willowbrook, Hinsdale Central, Glenbard West and Downers Grove North within 4 miles from MC to add to that recruiting pressure. Outside the other CCL schools there is no competition for students.

The page on the IHSA website titled "Two Year Cycle Enrollments and Classifications" lists every schools "actual" enrollment (doubled for all boys schools). These figures do not include the 1.65 multiplier which it says may be applied. SR does not have the multiplier applied, MC does.

The playoff summary by class lists each team with the 1.65 multiplier added in, if applicable.

Therefore MC is listed as 1237 on the overall page, but 2041.05 on the 7A Playoff Summary page, for example.

Why do some schools get the multiplier and others don't?

Interestingly, except for MC not one of the schools you mentioned was on the Montini schedule this year, but ok?

Over the years ... you play 7A and 8A football. Allso, I said "you play the same schedule as ...".

Thanks for bringing this up.

Last edited:
Outside the other CCL schools there is no competition for students.

You act like competition from Rice, Rita and Marist is not a big deal. It's extremely intense. The pressure from other kids, alone, on where to go to high school is enormous.

We also compete with Providence. (Yes, we have kids from way out that way.)

Plus, now we face the destination public schools for kids. Thee's no tuition at Whitney Young.

We have students from Orland Park. They could have gone to Carl Sandburg -- an outstanding school -- also free.

And, if that's not enough, our student-athletes get recruited by the staffs at Phillips and other schools while they're already enrolled at Mt. Carmel.

Montini might have to compete with a particular public school but that's it.

Last edited:
You act like competition from Rice, Rita and Marist is not a big deal. It's extremely intense. The pressure from other kids, alone, on where to go to high school is enormous.

We also compete with Providence. (Yes, we have kids from way out that way.)

Plus, now we face the destination public schools for kids. Thee's no tuition at Whitney Young.

We have students from Orland Park. They could have gone to Carl Sandburg -- an outstanding school -- also free.

And, if that's not enough, our student-athletes get recruited by the staffs at Phillips and other schools while they're already enrolled at Mt. Carmel.

Montini might have to compete with a particular public school but that's it.

Agreed, but the competition for students is difficult here as well. We also draw from areas covering WWS, all the Naperville schools, York, Naz, JCA, PC, Lemont, Brook and have students from Orland as well. Recruiting against Fenwick, Benet, SF for local kids makes the challenge even bigger.

The facts for any private school charging tuition are daunting, be it MC or MCHS. The difficulty for MCHS is a physical plant limiting size and a wealth of outstanding public and private schools within 10-20 miles. I understand WY and Phillips are great draws, but if you live in Naperville Central's district it's really tough to pry those kids out.

So saying Montini competes with "a particular public school but that's it" is a bit tone deaf and steeped in old school thinking, as if only the South Side CCL schools matter, no?

Reactions: Gene K. and pjjp
Agreed, but the competition for students is difficult here as well. We also draw from areas covering WWS, all the Naperville schools, York, Naz, JCA, PC, Lemont, Brook and have students from Orland as well. Recruiting against Fenwick, Benet, SF for local kids makes the challenge even bigger.

The facts for any private school charging tuition are daunting, be it MC or MCHS. The difficulty for MCHS is a physical plant limiting size and a wealth of outstanding public and private schools within 10-20 miles. I understand WY and Phillips are great draws, but if you live in Naperville Central's district it's really tough to pry those kids out.

So saying Montini competes with "a particular public school but that's it" is a bit tone deaf and steeped in old school thinking, as if only the South Side CCL schools matter, no?
For a particular student, you only have a single public school. Perhaps some distant Catholic school, as well ...but not like the SW side Catholic schools.

I don't think it's far-fetched that ESL is officiated a certain way. I saw that documentary of Oak Park where coach Hoerster said something similar. Coach Hoerster, I believe is respected here.

But that doesn't make ESL better than H-F.

This whole argument boils down to ESL has a bunch of high level recruits and ESL is scoring a lot of points on outmatched teams. When we look at how they performed against Edwardsville and Neuqua we get more competitive games. How the ESL guys here can't see that and then put two and two together to make four is beyond me.

Let's say ESL played a team even better than NV then ESL looks less dominant and possibly loses. ESL doesn't have to worry about that though. Warren does, LWE does.

My question to ESL guys is when are you ever not the most talented team (most recruits) on the field against an Illinois opponent?

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT