ADVERTISEMENT

ESL Flyers football 2020 what a schedule

You can’t predict the rankings. The only move is to play certain teams and see how you measure up. The only way to find out is play the game.

Would be 7A every year if the system would allow it. We didn’t ask for 6A, it’s was forced on us.
Why wouldn't ESL just drop their conference and play an independent schedule of whoever they wanted and play up?

Why wouldn't ESL just drop their conference and play an independent schedule of whoever they wanted and play up?

The conference is more than football and ESL was one of the original founding members. Playing up was a luxury that has been taken away. It's not the end of the world or that big of a deal.

Probably because it’s the man reason most teams don’t travel. Take WWS for example they have had multiple opportunities to travel out of state over the years but were never able to make it work financially.
Because guys like me, Bowie and a ton others would not crowdsource funding for
16.5k is just for the flights. Maybe 4 to 5 times is high, but I would imagine its gonna cost 2x that for everything else.(ground transportation, hotels, meals, etc.,)

For the record, I think it is great that ESL and the kids get this opportunity. I just find the logistics and finances of it interesting. (not in a bad way)
I’ll offer also that adding a day before or after would not be outrageous as the flight / time almost demands the kids get In ‘n Out burger then see/play in the Pacific. Seems wasteful not to do something like that.

I’ll kick in cash for that.

This is such a dumb argument. What if st. John bosco had their same exact roster and played in 3a. It has absolutely no bearing on how good that individual team is.
Then you don’t know anything about football,the better competition you play the higher your ranking goes.

I swear some folks will try to create a negative in everything....... How can this be seen as a bad thing by anyone on this board???? Regardless, I’m sure that there are more true Illinois high school football fans on this board who are hoping that ESL comes away with the W to boost the respect for the state nationally, than there are true haters of any program other than the one(s) that they follow.

Last edited:
Because guys like me, Bowie and a ton others would not crowdsource funding for

I’ll offer also that adding a day before or after would not be outrageous as the flight / time almost demands the kids get In ‘n Out burger then see/play in the Pacific. Seems wasteful not to do something like that.

I’ll kick in cash for that.
Absolutely! All kids need unique experiences as part of the maturation process. This is one of they ways we experience growth. As an Illinois resident and HS football fan, I am extremely proud of ESL for continuously challenging themselves and representing our state. They are terrific ambassadors for our HS football.

Then you don’t know anything about football,the better competition you play the higher your ranking goes.
You are conflating two different arguments. Yes playing (and beating) better competition boosts your ranking. But who you play is irrelevant to how talented your team is. Additionally, having 3000 kids doesnt guarantee your football team is better than the school with 1100 kids.

SJB has has an enrollment of less than 900. Saint Louis has an enrollment of less than 700. St. Frances in MD is around 200. Archbishop Rummel less than 700. That is 4 of the top 10 teams in the country who would have played no higher than 6a in Illinois' playoff system. And, according to you, would have had no chance of being considered the best team in Illinois.

You are conflating two different arguments. Yes playing (and beating) better competition boosts your ranking. But who you play is irrelevant to how talented your team is. Additionally, having 3000 kids doesnt guarantee your football team is better than the school with 1100 kids.

SJB has has an enrollment of less than 900. Saint Louis has an enrollment of less than 700. St. Frances in MD is around 200. Archbishop Rummel less than 700. That is 4 of the top 10 teams in the country who would have played no higher than 6a in Illinois' playoff system. And, according to you, would have had no chance of being considered the best team in Illinois.
Yes I stand by that!I went back for last 6 yrs of ESL wins and losses and there are a lot losses to lower caliber teams.So there is no way to make the claim you are the best when you don’t play the best.Just my opinion.

I swear some folks will try to create a negative in everything....... How can this be seen as a bad thing by anyone on this board???? Regardless, I’m sure that there are more true Illinois high school football fans on this board who are hoping that ESL comes away with the W to boost the respect for the state nationally, than there are true haters of any program other than the one(s) that they follow.

Maybe I missed it, but who is saying it is a bad thing for ESL to be playing in California?

Yes I stand by that!I went back for last 6 yrs of ESL wins and losses and there are a lot losses to lower caliber teams.So there is no way to make the claim you are the best when you don’t play the best.Just my opinion.

It's nice to have your opinion. The question is why do you feel the need to express here? The post was talking about the schedule for 2020 and discussing the games for this year. "The best team in the state" is an opinion. No facts involved. In 2019 ESL, MC, and LWE all ended the season 14-0. They were successful in beating any team that was put in front of them. That's all that matter.

This schedule does not revolve about being the best in Illinois. If that was the plan, all non conference games will be against Illinois teams like last year. If you are not a fan of ESL, fine I get it. I just don't see your point as it relates to the 2020 schedule.

Maybe I missed it, but who is saying it is a bad thing for ESL to be playing in California?

Clown made a post saying this is a bad game for the Flyers. That statement can be taken a lot of different ways. Not a big deal.

Reactions: USD24

What do the past 6 years have to do with 2019? No one is claiming they were the best team in 2014 or 2018. Their undefeated 2019 and 2016 (7A) state championship seasons they absolutely deserved to be in the conversation for best team in Illinois.

And your "opinion" is highly uninformed. You have to go all the way back to 2014 to find a season where they had bad losses. And But again, how is that relevant to this discussion?

Clown made a post saying this is a bad game for the Flyers. That statement can be taken a lot of different ways. Not a big deal.

This game would be a bad a game for any team from IL the private schools in CA play and recruit at a different level then just about anyone in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
This game would be a bad a game for any team from IL the private schools in CA play and recruit at a different level then just about anyone in the country.

Regardless they are teenage kids just like everyone else. That's why you play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
Agreed. I wish the Flyers luck but I don’t think any team fro IL is winning this game. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
The thing about that is we are NOT afraid of a loss. If that happens trust we will learn from it.
Also If LWE, LA , Naz and any other IL school is willing to play just contact us. Home or away. Hats off to Montini and Batavia

We owe the Flyers a trip down there. They dropped us week 1 for 2020 because the opportunity to head west and play SJB. We don’t blame the Flyers, what an opportunity to play a national power. Maybe we’ll head down to play in the classic week 2 in the next few years if the schedules work out.

Good luck to the Flyers!

Also, have you guys seen ESTL next up and comer QB? Looks like a stud to follow Macon:

https://twitter.com/CartdogBoyd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT