ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Week 1 Predictions

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
Usually make this weekly thread on Tuesdays...but it is opening week and I could not be more excited for football.

My predictions are mostly based off past performance--I admittedly do not do a great job of tracking teams in the offseason.

That being said...:

Viator-24 Prospect-14

Brother Rice-24 Marist-21

Pats-49 Taft-7

Oak Lawn-27 Marian Catholic-14

Rita-28 JCA-14

Lutheran North-35 Naz-24

Benet-21 St. Laurence-20

Carmel-27 Oak Creek-14

Notre Dame-37 Geneva-20

Johnsburg-30 MCC-20

Needless to say....blind guesses in Week 1:

Viator over Prospect....blind guess #1
Marist over Rice....wavered back and forth on this one. Rice is at home and has a lot back, but they were 2-7 last year. Rice needs to win the battle at the LOS. Marist has a lot back at the skills. I'm guessing that's the difference. Don't really understand all the love for Rice. This one will show if the Rice accolades are justified.
Pat's over Taft....nice scheduling by the Shamrocks
Oak Lawn over Marian of the Heights....will the tough times ever end for the Spartans?
Rita over JCA....been on the record that I'm not crazy about JCA's non-cons. Rita is a quality 7A team with a lot of speed and a QB who will test the Hilltoppers' defense. The experienced JCA O-line needs to win the battle at the LOS and get their stable of RB's going. It's in Joliet. We shall see. Just think Rita has too much. Hope I'm wrong.
Naz over Lutheran North.....Naz sure has upped their schedule. Loads of talent on both sides. Giving the Roadrunners a slight edge at home. Major test right out of the gate for the soph QB.
Benet over Laurence....really impressed with the consistent success of the Benet program. They are now a perennial threat in 7A. The Jr. QB got a lot of varsity experience last year, and Benet should win the battle at the LOS.
Oak Creek over Carmel....it's in WI. Carmel has a new coach. Another blind guess.
ND over Geneva....can't imagine JCA backed out of the Week 1 matchup with Geneva after the close Week 1 win last year. If Geneva decided against playing the Hilltoppers this year, why would they schedule a game against ND (a team that beat JCA 34-0 last year)? From a Geneva perspective, this is a scheduling head scratcher to me.
Johnsburg over MCC....interesting game. It's in Johnsburg. Mike Maloney returns to play a former team. I'm interested to see how the Hurricanes perform this year. I've heard very low numbers, but they are getting a fair amount of love in the preseason.

Reactions: Hillini74
Everyone sleeping on prospect. I think they’ll handle viator. I’m extremely impressed with their new coach Dan DeBouf. Said this last year but I think within 2 years he has them in a quarterfinal.

Needless to say....blind guesses in Week 1:

Viator over Prospect....blind guess #1
Marist over Rice....wavered back and forth on this one. Rice is at home and has a lot back, but they were 2-7 last year. Rice needs to win the battle at the LOS. Marist has a lot back at the skills. I'm guessing that's the difference. Don't really understand all the love for Rice. This one will show if the Rice accolades are justified.
Pat's over Taft....nice scheduling by the Shamrocks
Oak Lawn over Marian of the Heights....will the tough times ever end for the Spartans?
Rita over JCA....been on the record that I'm not crazy about JCA's non-cons. Rita is a quality 7A team with a lot of speed and a QB who will test the Hilltoppers' defense. The experienced JCA O-line needs to win the battle at the LOS and get their stable of RB's going. It's in Joliet. We shall see. Just think Rita has too much. Hope I'm wrong.
Naz over Lutheran North.....Naz sure has upped their schedule. Loads of talent on both sides. Giving the Roadrunners a slight edge at home. Major test right out of the gate for the soph QB.
Benet over Laurence....really impressed with the consistent success of the Benet program. They are now a perennial threat in 7A. The Jr. QB got a lot of varsity experience last year, and Benet should win the battle at the LOS.
Oak Creek over Carmel....it's in WI. Carmel has a new coach. Another blind guess.
ND over Geneva....can't imagine JCA backed out of the Week 1 matchup with Geneva after the close Week 1 win last year. If Geneva decided against playing the Hilltoppers this year, why would they schedule a game against ND (a team that beat JCA 34-0 last year)? From a Geneva perspective, this is a scheduling head scratcher to me.
Johnsburg over MCC....interesting game. It's in Johnsburg. Mike Maloney returns to play a former team. I'm interested to see how the Hurricanes perform this year. I've heard very low numbers, but they are getting a fair amount of love in the preseason.
For the record Geneva backed out of two year agreement

For the record Geneva backed out of two year agreement
I figured that was the case. I just don't understand the ND scheduling, a team that, on paper, looks tougher than JCA. Why back out of the Hilltopper contract?

If you would of went to last years game, the junior offensive line dominated them. The only reason why the score was close was because of on side kicks at the end of the game. They probably figured the line would be bigger plus not worth all the time preparing for that winged offense. Agree with you about scheduling ND. Big mistake for sure. No argument there. Backing out of JCA contract was pretty dumb for sure.

I still like JCA’s chances against Rita. I think this game is gonna be a close one if JCA can stop the pass. I don’t think Rita can stop that big o line of JCA. Returning 4 three year starters and 3 great running backs. They are hungry and seasoned to say the least. If the defense can hold Rita to 17 points, JCA wins. JCA 21 - SR 17. Upset special

Alright here we go! I am sure I will going to get grief for not being a homer and picking my alma mater every week eventually, but hey that's part of the fun! This week I think I will be safe (maybe I will be not confident in them enough for some MCC posters). Anyways lets get it going!

Viator vs Prospect- I will go with Viator here, kind of a guess here. Been a few down years for Prospect but I am very excited for Coach Debouf and I am excted to see what he can turn this Prospect team into. Viator wins by multiple scores

Brother Rice vs Marist- Toss up again for me here, such a tough first game for both teams, but Brother Rice is going to need this one big time, so I am thinking with some revenge and a close to "must win game" I am going to go BR in a close one

Pats vs Taft- I will stick with Pats here in year 2 for coach Guerra, hopeful to see some progress from one of the oldest catholic schools in the state. Watch out for Taft tho, they brought in a new D Coordinator who previously coached at Loyola

Oak Lawn vs Marian Catholic- Oak Lawn because I will have to wait and see if Marian Catholic can get anything going for football

Rita vs JCA- Probably one of the most talked about games in the off season, I really do think it will be fun game for both teams but I am sticking with Rita. Until JCA proves and shows that they are actually back I am holding off on them. Rita by 10

Lutheran North vs Naz- I know that both of these teams are STACKED! Both are ranked similarly on Max Preps (take that for what it's worth) so I am gonna go with Naz cause IL football RULES ;) and I like that they are hosting rather than taking a long bus ride. Roadrunners start off 1-0

Benet vs St. Laurence- Back to back semis for Benet, they are so close making that final push, so I will ride the momentum and pick Benet in a close one

Carmel vs Oak Creek- Carmel gets a W in coach Annen's debut

Notre Dame vs Geneva- Rolling with the Dons as they bring back another solid this team this year

Johnsburg vs MCC- Finally the team that usually gets me in trouble. My beloved Canes! Don't worry I am picking the Canes but I am not extremely confident. Anytime Marian plays a public school from McHenry County it turns into the super bowl and those publics gear up big time for the Canes. With that being said, now you have to add in that Johnsburg has showed some continued success and is playing the best it has had in its history. Not to mention the new HC was the DC under both Debouf and Maloney, so he has been apart of the improvement throughout. I am expecting a tight game, on a friday night in Johnsburg where have seat will be taken, with a big time atmosphere, and the Hurricanes will head back home with a W, winning by 7 points.

Should be a fun year, glad it is finally back!

Prospect- no real reason other than having a great new coach
Marist-I think it's going to be closer than many think, but Marist wins with little 4th quarter stress
Pat's-I don't think they will have to do anything too special to get the job done here. The new coach gets the wheels churning with this program this season
Oak Lawn- Man, Marian Catholic is in dire straits right now. It's too bad
St. Rita- JCA doesn't have to win, but they have to show up in a big way
Naz- Visiting team has a long trip. Simple as that.
Benet- Could be the best game of the week among ESCC teams. Great test for both.
Oak Creek- No idea, but Carmel stinks and lost their QB
ND-We've heard of these supposed strong lower levels the last few seasons. Do they become the third best team in the ESCC this year?
Johnsburg-Should be a great atmosphere. Much bigger game for J-Burg than for MCC

Reactions: lkhammer57
Prospect-21 Viator 7

Brother Rice-14 Marist-10

Pats-40 Taft-0

Oak Lawn-28 Marian Catholic-7

Rita-24 JCA-21

Naz-28 LN-14

Benet-28 St. Laurence-7

Oak Creek-28 Carmel -7

Notre Dame-37 Geneva-10

MCC-21-Johnsburg-7

Reactions: MR. "T"