ADVERTISEMENT

Eligibility question

prince_of_pilfer

Nov 28, 2005
I know a lot of posters here know the in's and out's of the IHSA eligibility. Was hoping someone could clarify things for me. (Asking for a friend here)

If a student athlete transfers from a private school to a public school say at the end of this school year would they be eligible for football and baseball this fall and next spring? Vice versa, if they transferred from a public to a private how would it work? I thought you'd be eligible to transfer from private to public but not public to private without losing a year of playing.

Last scenario, (this one is for me though) if my family moved from one town to another and then transferred schools would my child (this case my daughter) be eligible to play sports that next year. (Contemplating moving because mine and my wife's jobs are to far from home, want to be closer to the office so we're able to make all the kids sporting events.)

Thank you in advance for the help.

I was told if you don’t change address,you have to sit a yr.I was looking into public to private.All three private school ADs said exactly same thing.

I know a lot of posters here know the in's and out's of the IHSA eligibility. Was hoping someone could clarify things for me. (Asking for a friend here)

If a student athlete transfers from a private school to a public school say at the end of this school year would they be eligible for football and baseball this fall and next spring? Vice versa, if they transferred from a public to a private how would it work? I thought you'd be eligible to transfer from private to public but not public to private without losing a year of playing.

Last scenario, (this one is for me though) if my family moved from one town to another and then transferred schools would my child (this case my daughter) be eligible to play sports that next year. (Contemplating moving because mine and my wife's jobs are to far from home, want to be closer to the office so we're able to make all the kids sporting events.)

Thank you in advance for the help.

Start reading at 3.040 in this pdf. Read entire section under transfers all of your scenarios should be covered.

https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/current/IHSA_Section3.pdf

Reactions: Hillini74
Give up guardianship of your kid to someone who does not live in your current district. That will get your son eligible.

Temporary short term minor guardianships are remarkably effective for school district residency. You don't have to go to court, heck the statute doesn't even require the form to be notarized. Moving out of the district but want the kids to stay there? Simple two/three page form, temporary guardianship to the neighbor. Live in Kankakee but want the kids to go to BBCHS? Temporary guardianship form with Uncle Bob who lives in Bradley (this happens so often to BBCHS that they have occasionally sent people over to inspect the house to be sure junior is living there...some of the cleanest teenagers' rooms on the planet :rolleyes:).

Reactions: ignazio
Temporary short term minor guardianships are remarkably effective for school district residency. You don't have to go to court, heck the statute doesn't even require the form to be notarized. Moving out of the district but want the kids to stay there? Simple two/three page form, temporary guardianship to the neighbor. Live in Kankakee but want the kids to go to BBCHS? Temporary guardianship form with Uncle Bob who lives in Bradley (this happens so often to BBCHS that they have occasionally sent people over to inspect the house to be sure junior is living there...some of the cleanest teenagers' rooms on the planet :rolleyes:).
It is important to note that the Illinois Probate Act does not provide for a "temporary guardianship" of a minor, whereas the statute pertaining to guardianship of an adult with a disability does. Not to split hairs, but there is a distinction between a "temporary guardianship" and a "short-term" guardianship. As you stated correctly, a short-term guardian is responsible for the child for one year or less and is authorized to make education, financial and health care decisions on behalf of the minor. The parent or guardian chooses a short-term guardian and there is no judicial involvement. The form is quite simple in nature to draft and must be witnessed by at least two disinterested witnesses who are at least 18 years old. It goes without saying that I advise anyone that is considering this process to seek the advice of counsel.

Last edited:
YEAH OK LOL

Just went through this last year with my son. But I'm sure you are all over it guy
Signing off is just 1 part of it. Just signing off WILL NOT make the athlete eligible. The AD will have to report some sort of change financially, home life, or special circumstance that the IHSA will rule on. Don't think for a minute all it takes is both ADs to sign off.

Reactions: Hillini74
Live in Kankakee but want the kids to go to BBCHS? Temporary guardianship form with Uncle Bob who lives in Bradley (this happens so often to BBCHS that they have occasionally sent people over to inspect the house to be sure junior is living there...some of the cleanest teenagers' rooms on the planet :rolleyes:).

inspect the house? you mean go inside and look around??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT