ADVERTISEMENT

EastSide Game Thread: 42-26 SBJ Final

Did ESL bring the blitz much in the first half. That seems to be working in the second half, and made the difference when they broke the game open against DeSmet.

Didn't see the first half. But nice effort by the Flyers in the second half. Going in it would not have shocked me to see them get running clocked. And once, they got down 35-0, I thought it was going to happen. But they actually had a miniscule chance at the end. Not a morale victory -- too many red-zone failures for that -- but an effort they can be proud of against one of the nation's elite programs. (Which they are also one of them).

After going up 35-0, the Bosco kids were clearly thinking more about those Dairy Queen visits that the announcers kept talking about than they were about football. lol I'm happy that the Flyers didn't give up and played some "inspired" ball to keep the score respectable in the end. Illinois and Missouri kids had a good showing.

I think Bosch had negative yardage after East Side’s first score(minus one play).
A kicker to make a four touchdowns to five would’ve flipped this game onto another level of close. So would a better red zone offense, can’t turn the ball over 4 times there.
Overall, still a great showing for the Flyers and Illinois. It would be silly to get caught all up in the missed opportunities and not to realize how good of a performance against the best of the best

Im not big on moral victories...sjb was just better than esl. I just hope the posters who suggested esl mails it in watched the game tonight

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Very good game. The Flyers missed tons of opportunities in the first quarter. If we score first, things might have been a lot different. SJB defense front was pretty good. All the stunts and technique was impressive. While we do have a a big offensive line, a good/fast defensive front can challenge that. It was a great overall experience. We didn’t commit our normal offsides, false start and illegal formation penalties regularly like normal. I saw a ESL team that looked better than they did in week one. That’s progress. Imagine if we put #3 on defense as well. Does this turn into ESL vs St Rita from 2008?

Very good game. The Flyers missed tons of opportunities in the first quarter. If we score first, things might have been a lot different. SJB defense front was pretty good. All the stunts and technique was impressive. While we do have a a big offensive line, a good/fast defensive front can challenge that. It was a great overall experience. We didn’t commit our normal offsides, false start and illegal formation penalties regularly like normal. I saw a ESL team that looked better than they did in week one. That’s progress. Imagine if we put #3 on defense as well. Does this turn into ESL vs St Rita from 2008?
I was less impressed with the O-line than I expected. I know they can handle one on ones, but the real concept of protection lacked. That’s scheme, I’d have to believe.

That D - very impressed. The Flyers” DBs were judged harshly in the first half with some ticky-tac PI calls. Those hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT