ADVERTISEMENT

East St. Louis week 9

You're looking for an argument that isn't there. As I posted earlier, it happens with the private teams every season. I'm from a 5A town, and have family living in 3A thru 6A towns. Right or wrong, there is plenty of complaining when the 3 or 4 loss Montini, Naz, Providence, etc. show up in round 1 against the 9-0, 8-1 "small town" team. (Not trying to start a public/private debate, just pointing out that ESL isn't unique when it comes to seeding issues).
I would agree, but I'd also argue maybe we shouldn't be so harsh on any of those teams. None of our programs are scheduling the CCL or the national schedule ESL is... If you want to schedule 9 tough opponents, and you find a way to get 5 wins, you shouldn't have to then be punished on the back end bc someone thinks it's unfair. You earned your spot, just like the 9-0, 8-1 teams did. I find those that schedule hunting for 5 easy dubs to be more of a problem. Seeding a team differently based on their schedule isn't a thing in any sport is it? Why should we entertain this thought? It seems like nonsense, and a reach. But griping has long arms...

Last edited:
yes but they aren't 'inner city' so RoaminCatholic won't be white knighting for them anytime soon
White knighting? Sounds political, or something you learned from Urban Dictionary... Is that something they teach in Danville?

I was simply saying ESL isn't the only example of the discussion being had... I gave a 2nd example. I think any one here with a developed human brain could understand the glaring differences between the ESL and Rochester school districts. I think the same lot could ascertain why I'd presume it easier for Rochester* to be dominant versus their public counterpart in ESL. I also simply asked why there wasn't a thread talking about "they need to start seeding by how good a team really is, not wins and points" for Rochester* in 2011 and 2014... I think the thought of "re-seeding" based on what people think is good sounds like nonsense... To me, it would probably fall into the same category as those who whine whenever they lose to a private school.

I support ESL because they're an Illinois program who's daring to schedule national programs and attempt to put Illinois football on the map. Something the big dogs in Chi have failed to do, or even attempt. I don't see the well funded, well endowed, private likes of Mt Carmel, Brother Rice, or Loyola scheduling anyone like ESL is... and they easily could. They have 4 teams in that conference? Props to MC for scheduling ESL week 1 though. I also don't see Danville or anyone in Central Illinois trying to do what ESL is... Although SHG has played some big schools from elsewhere in the past.

It makes it all the more special that ESL isn't one of those, or a Mater Dei from Cali, or an IMG from Florida. We should celebrate them. Currently they're the only one representing our state's football outside of our state with any regularity.

If you have a problem with me for that, then imo you're the problem. Maybe it's a Danville thing? Go Dans... wait...

White knighting? Sounds political, or something you learned from Urban Dictionary... Is that something they teach in Danville?

I was simply saying ESL isn't the only example of the discussion being had... I gave a 2nd example. I think any one here with a developed human brain could understand the glaring differences between the ESL and Rochester school districts. I think the same lot could ascertain why I'd presume it easier for Rochester* to be dominant versus their public counterpart in ESL. I also simply asked why there wasn't a thread talking about "they need to start seeding by how good a team really is, not wins and points" for Rochester* in 2011 and 2014... I think the thought of "re-seeding" based on what people think is good sounds like nonsense... To me, it would probably fall into the same category as those who whine whenever they lose to a private school.

I support ESL because they're an Illinois program who's daring to schedule national programs and attempt to put Illinois football on the map. Something the big dogs in Chi have failed to do, or even attempt. I don't see the well funded, well endowed, private likes of Mt Carmel, Brother Rice, or Loyola scheduling anyone like ESL is... and they easily could. They have 4 teams in that conference? Props to MC for scheduling ESL week 1 though. I also don't see Danville or anyone in Central Illinois trying to do what ESL is... Although SHG has played some big schools from elsewhere in the past.

It makes it all the more special that ESL isn't one of those, or a Mater Dei from Cali, or an IMG from Florida. We should celebrate them. Currently they're the only one representing our state's football outside of our state with any regularity.

If you have a problem with me for that, then imo you're the problem. Maybe it's a Danville thing? Go Dans... wait...
Here is an example of white knighting

Have the flyers found a week 9 opponent yet?

if not, they could pretty much screw over an undefeated team as they would likely be a 9-0 team in first round.
King ... yeah, that would suck! You have a generational team for X-school, your best squad in 20 years. And the reward is East Side in the first round.

Like, WTF kind of luck is that!

If you have a problem with me for that, then imo you're the problem. Maybe it's a Danville thing? Go Dans... wait.
Joliet Catholic has played out of state teams to start the season in each of the last three years. While they haven't been the national powerhouses that ESL has played, all three opponents were very good programs from their respective states.

Which of the three opponents that JCA played would you consider not to be a good program?

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Iowa city had 3 or 4 straight 2 win seasons recently. They are currently 2-2 and blown out twice and #82 in the state.
They were 6-4 last year, 11-2 the year before and played in the semi finals of the largest class as well as being ranked #7 in the state when JC played them

They were 6-4 last year, 11-2 the year before and played in the semi finals of the largest class as well as being ranked #7 in the state when JC played them
I dont follow Iowa hs football closely, but I would guess that if there was a poster on here who claimed his team was one of the best programs in IL with a resume like that Iowa team, we would all disagree. Over the past 5 seasons their record was 6-4, 11-2, 2-5, 2-7, 2-8.

I dont follow Iowa hs football closely, but I would guess that if there was a poster on here who claimed his team was one of the best programs in IL with a resume like that Iowa team, we would all disagree. Over the past 5 seasons their record was 6-4, 11-2, 2-5, 2-7, 2-8.
I didnt claim it was one of the best programs in Iowa. They have won 4 state champioinships and a couple of semi-finals in the last 20 years and appeared in a semi-final two years ago. In addition, they entered the season ranked #7 in the largest class in the state. To me that qualifies as a very good program. Iowa City had a little dip a few years ago, but over the last 2 decades have been a very successful program.

Last edited:
Loyola Academy has played traditionally strong national and Ohio programs St. Xavier and St. Ignatius over the last few years. Simple to schedule games out of state. The logistics of getting a large number of parts to the games is not so simple.

Not reading all that. But I'm happy for you, or sorry that happened.

Here is a suggestion for ESL's week 9 game: Have SHG forego its week 9 game against Rochester. If Rochester is willing, have them play ESL week 9. This proposal is based on the fact that both ESL and Rochester are prohibitive favorites to win the title in their respective classes, so a regular season loss in this game for either team will mean nothing when all is said and done. Rochester WOULD be a more than worthy opponent for ESL, and ESL would, I assume, just as soon play a week 9 game than sit it out. As far as SHG not playing a week 9 game is concerned, what is more important - SHG not playing a week 9 game or ESL not playing one? ESL is the gold standard in this comparison and should be accorded the benefits due it. The way things are going, SHG could probably use a break and get some healing done. They are banged up, and having an additional week to heal going into the post season could help them (a little). It's not like playing a week 9 game is going to improve their chances in the Class 5A playoffs. They have a lot of issues beside not playing a week 9 game which will prevent them advancing very far in the postseason. HOWEVER, a Rochester-ESL tilt would serve both teams well heading into the tournament, not to mention state-wide interest in such a matchup.

Here is a suggestion for ESL's week 9 game: Have SHG forego its week 9 game against Rochester. If Rochester is willing, have them play ESL week 9. This proposal is based on the fact that both ESL and Rochester are prohibitive favorites to win the title in their respective classes, so a regular season loss in this game for either team will mean nothing when all is said and done. Rochester WOULD be a more than worthy opponent for ESL, and ESL would, I assume, just as soon play a week 9 game than sit it out. As far as SHG not playing a week 9 game is concerned, what is more important - SHG not playing a week 9 game or ESL not playing one? ESL is the gold standard in this comparison and should be accorded the benefits due it. The way things are going, SHG could probably use a break and get some healing done. They are banged up, and having an additional week to heal going into the post season could help them (a little). It's not like playing a week 9 game is going to improve their chances in the Class 5A playoffs. They have a lot of issues beside not playing a week 9 game which will prevent them advancing very far in the postseason. HOWEVER, a Rochester-ESL tilt would serve both teams well heading into the tournament, not to mention state-wide interest in such a matchup.
That would be a blood bath.

All.... Uh-uh. I'm not giving up an afternoon at Shangria-La even if it would save me a pretty penny. The "crew" always wants prime grade ribeye steak sandwiches special cut from Magro's at the tailgate when the Cyclones host the Rockets.☺️

Continuing with todays culinary report a bit different tonight when the Cycs take on the Senators. Chef "Craig" (the rat doesn't cook once everything is set up as you know ) requested center cut boneless pork sandwich style. He is bringing over a wet rub. Picked those up at Humphrey's. SL should be rocking tonight especially if the rain clears out which is forecasted to do at 1pm. Ratsy

P.S. The computer says ..... conservatively.

Massey-
ESTL 45 Rochester 14 (92%)

Calpreps-
ESTL 38 Rochester 13 (95%)

Last edited:
The game wouldn't be close. Id imagine something similar to the loyola rochester score

Rochester forfeiting to Springfield SHG is about the dumbest, most unrealistic idea that's shown up on this board in a while.
Seriously, Rochester is in a conference. If they want to be an independent, then they can go for it and schedule whoeever they are able to schedule.
Seriously, what message are you sending to the entire conference?
if Rochester even suggests forfeiting the league championship game to Springfield SHG in order to play another opponent, and I don't care if that opponent is East St. Louis or Maine East, what exactly is the message you are sending to your partners in the conference?
That you don't care about the conference? That you'd rather play East St. Louis on Week 9 instead of. playing for the conference title? And, in the process, you could be giving the league title to Springfield SHG by forfeit
Seriously, nobody is going to consider anything even remotelly like this.
Should Rockford Boylan, a Class 5A power, forfeit to lowly Freeport in a NIC-10 league game Week 9 so they can play East St. Louis?
Or, how about Mundelein, which probably is going to need a Week 9 win to make the playoffs ... can they beg out of their Week 9 game vs. Lake Forest and convince Niles North to give up their game so the Mustangs can get a fifth win and let Niles North's Week 9 foe play Lake Forest?
Come on people. Common sense please.

Reactions: cigaros and CIMRY90
This year is great example of why it only allows 5A-size East St. Louis to play 6A and not play 7A or 8A.
The two other playoff teams from their league are going to be 7A Edwardsville and 8A Belleville East.
Schools in a conference are partners and partners want to see each other succeed, preferably not at the cost of hurting each other.
By making EStL play 6A, it obviously increases the chances of Edwardsville having great success in 7A and Belleville East the same in 8A.
Placing EStL in 7A or 8A creates a Lord of the Flies situation in which league partners are eating each other.
Obviously, other conferences in the state have multiple teams in the same class as playoff rematches happen all the time.
But in cases involving public schools, a team moving up one or more classes intentionally to avoid other teams in the same conference obviously puts the school moving up at a disadvantage but does not harm conference partners in the bigger class.
If Rochester for example moves up from let’s say 4A to 6A, then Rochester is making it harder on itself and not harming league partners who might also be in 6A.
The EStL case is unique in that if the Flyers move up to 7A or 8A, they are harming their conference partners rather than themselves.
Finally, EStL is moving up from 5A to 6A where there are no conference partners located.
Playing 6A is best for the conference as a whole in the play.
And heck, one of the reasons I suspect the Chicago Catholic League/East Suburban Catholic has the four/team conferences is to maximize the number of teams in playoffs.
It makes sense for the CCL/ESCC to do that, and it also makes sense for the conference to do what it is doing with EStL.

This year is great example of why it only allows 5A-size East St. Louis to play 6A and not play 7A or 8A.
The two other playoff teams from their league are going to be 7A Edwardsville and 8A Belleville East.
Schools in a conference are partners and partners want to see each other succeed, preferably not at the cost of hurting each other.
By making EStL play 6A, it obviously increases the chances of Edwardsville having great success in 7A and Belleville East the same in 8A.
Placing EStL in 7A or 8A creates a Lord of the Flies situation in which league partners are eating each other.
Obviously, other conferences in the state have multiple teams in the same class as playoff rematches happen all the time.
But in cases involving public schools, a team moving up one or more classes intentionally to avoid other teams in the same conference obviously puts the school moving up at a disadvantage but does not harm conference partners in the bigger class.
If Rochester for example moves up from let’s say 4A to 6A, then Rochester is making it harder on itself and not harming league partners who might also be in 6A.
The EStL case is unique in that if the Flyers move up to 7A or 8A, they are harming their conference partners rather than themselves.
Finally, EStL is moving up from 5A to 6A where there are no conference partners located.
And heck, one of the reasons I suspect the Chicago Catholic League/East Suburban Catholic has the four/team conferences is to maximize the number of teams in playoffs.
It makes sense for the CCL/ESCC to do that, and it also makes sense for the conference to do what it is doing with EStL.
Seems like a fair assessment.

Except the state treats it like a "lower" championship than they otherwise could play for. ESTL can compete with any team in the state. If they want to try they should be allowed to. Say Eville wins 7A after losing to ESTL by 30 in the regular season. I would feel like I ducked them and didn't deserve the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT